• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Math geeks: World's Hardest Easy Geometry Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaweee

zoku88 said:
I just checked them, they're independent, I believe, unless I wrote something down incorrectly.

With row swaps, should be able to define a matrix with

1 1 0 0
0 1 1 0
0 0 1 1
1 0 0 1

t1 t2 t3 x

equation 1 + equation 3 - equation 2 = equation 4, so they are dependent, and some geometric trick is necessary to suss out one more equation.

zoku88

XiaNaphryz said:
I think this is the key disconnect many of us are having. In the mindset of elementary geometry, what was stated there doesn't necessarily equate to "you can just use equations to solve for it." It's providing you rules to use for your proof as you step through it like in the example two-column proofs I posted above. "Because opposite angles are equal, I can state this unknown is n degrees." When I think of geometry class back in junior high, I don't think equations at all. I think of that style of proof we had to write up.
I still think you're confusing terms. An elementary geometric proof is merely a proof that uses the theorem available in elementary geometry. There's no specific form that they must take.

If you wanted a two-column proof (like it seems you clearly wanted,) then you should have said so in the OP (like I guess you've edited it in to include.)

But really, there's no difference in skill. In the two-column proofs, you are doing algebra anyway, it's just really dressed up.

DanteFox

zoku88 said:
I just checked them, they're independent, I believe, unless I wrote something down incorrectly.

With row swaps, should be able to define a matrix with

1 1 0 0
0 1 1 0
0 0 1 1
1 0 0 1

t1 t2 t3 x

when I try to reduce that I get:

010-1

or some variation.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
zoku88 said:
I still think you're confusing terms. An elementary geometric proof is merely a proof that uses the theorem available in elementary geometry. There's no specific form that they must take.

If you wanted a two-column proof (like it seems you clearly wanted,) then you should have said so in the OP (like I guess you've edited it in to include.)

But really, there's no difference in skill. In the two-column proofs, you are doing algebra anyway, it's just really dressed up.
Hell, the original problem even stated you don't need to use a two-column proof, and that you can just describe it in a paragraph. Maybe the author was a bit ambiguous to some of you, but it seemed clear to me what style proof the problem was looking for. Just quickly scrolling through the answer that was posted also confirms it to me as well.

zoku88

XiaNaphryz said:
Hell, the original problem even stated you don't need to use a two-column proof, and that you can just describe it in a paragraph. Maybe the author was a bit ambiguous to some of you, but it seemed clear to me what style proof the problem was looking for. Just quickly scrolling through the answer that was posted also confirms it to me as well.
I'm not sure the style is important. I really think he just wanted people to use elementary geometry (thus the title.) Why would someone care about style anyway? He never even stated what type of proof to use (which is why we were using algebra.) He gave tips on how to write a proof in general, though...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not sure what's up but...

As far as I can tell, X can be any number from 1-129

XiaNaphryz

zoku88 said:
I'm not sure the style is important. I really think he just wanted people to use elementary geometry (thus the title.)
Exactly. Just elementary geometry. No trig, no algebra outside the basic equations given, no matrices, nothing else beyond what is stated in the "Here is everything you need to know to solve the above problems" section.

zoku88

XiaNaphryz said:
Exactly. Just elementary geometry. No trig, no algebra outside the basic equations given, no matrices, nothing else.
Uhm, we ARE using the basic equations given. The matrices were only a compact way of representing the equation given, so they clearly don't break the rules given by the problem poster. Everything done so far is clearly in the realms of elementary geometry.

XiaNaphryz

zoku88 said:
Uhm, we ARE using the basic equations given. The matrices were only a compact way of representing the equation given, so they clearly don't break the rules given by the problem poster. Everything done so far is clearly in the realms of elementary geometry.
Okay, now you're just fucking around with me. :)

zoku88

XiaNaphryz said:
Okay, now you're just fucking around with me. :)
I'm being quite serious.

using a matrix to represent the system of equations is no different from differing the text from english to jpn. As long we don't use any techniques that you would use in linear algebra class, it would be fine. (as in, we would probably have to solve the equations one by one.)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
zoku88 said:
Dude, seriously, come off it. did you learn what the a matrix was in geometry class in middle school/early high school? Were you solving systems of equations in geometry class? Oh, you weren't? Then quit arguing about stupid semantics and do the problem as it is intended. You know exactly what he is talking about, and you know exactly how the problem is intended to be solved. I mean, or you could just continue on your incessant quest to be obnoxious. If it's outside the bounds of a geometry class textbook, don't use it. It's an incredibly simple concept.

zoku88

Timedog said:
Dude, seriously, come off it. did you learn what the a matrix was in geometry class in middle school/early high school? Oh, you didn't? Then quit arguing about stupid semantics and do the problem as it is intended. You know exactly what he is talking about, and you know exactly how the problem is intended to be solved. I mean, or you could just continue on your incessant quest to be obnoxious. If it's outside the bounds of a geometry class textbook, don't use it. It's an incredibly simple concept.
I never said we could use matrix algebra (i said that we clearly couldn't,) but we could clearly use basic algebra in geometry class, so I don't know what you're talking about... We're solving problems using basic algebra and basic geometry, which is totally inside what was said in the first two lines of the problem. I'm not sure what your problem is.

Use geometry to find equations... solving equations one-by-one. How does this NOT fit the problem? Geez, we only used the matrix to find out if our set of equations was solvable...

XiaNaphryz

zoku88 said:
I'm being quite serious.

using a matrix to represent the system of equations is no different from differing the text from english to jpn. As long we don't use any techniques that you would use in linear algebra class, it would be fine. (as in, we would probably have to solve the equations one by one.)
The problem presented was one such that someone who had just learned elementary geometry could understand the proof. Said person is likely not to have learned anything beyond algebra, including basic trig, matrices, or calc. It's quite clear what type of solution is being requested here.

bachikarn

You can use matrices. It's not a big deal. Unless the answer is that two of the triangles are congruent, and then x is equal to one of the angles already on the diagram, you are going to have to use SOME algebra to solve it. Using matrices are just a easy and systematic way to solve the algebra. You can use normal techniques if you want, but we aren't solving the problem using crazy linear algebra.

Haly

Working out the proof bit by bit, will have it in a moment. Tricky bastard.

XiaNaphryz

bachikarn said:
You can use matrices. It's not a big deal. Unless the answer is that two of the triangles are congruent, and then x is equal to one of the angles already on the diagram, you are going to have to use SOME algebra to solve it.
It's been already stated that you don't need to. The only equations needed are "the sum of adjacent angles is 180 degrees" and "the sum of the interior angles of a triangle is 180 degrees." So if you don't need to do any algebra to solve the problem, you shouldn't have to use matrices either.

ninjarr

Neo Member
Not bad, not bad. A fun problem.

Here is another for anyone who is bored. While a bit easier, it has a far cooler result.

Can two triangles share 5 of 6 properties in common (3 side lengths, 3 angles) and not be congruent?

Hint:
Haha yeah right, get back to work slacker.

Haly

Proof is WRONG.
The intersection in the middle will be vertex F

1. Angle AFB = 50
P: Sum of angles of triangle is 180

2. Angle EDB = 130
P: Triangle of straight line is 180

3. Angle EDB = Angle EDB
P: I forgot what law this was called

4. Angle DEA = Angle CBD
P: 20 = 20

5. Triangle EDB is similar to triangle FDE
P: Angle-Angle (4, 5)

6: Angle DEA = Angle CBD
P: Corresponding angles of similar triangles are equal

7: Angle DEA = 20
P: (6)
Since the challenge was in finding the proof, not the answer I assumed x in order to tease out the process. Cheating I guess, but it works. Whoever made this question was a clever asshole.

My 8th grade teacher would be ashamed.

DanteFox

Halycon said:
The intersection in the middle will be vertex F

1. Angle AFB = 50
P: Sum of angles of triangle is 180

2. Angle EDB = 130
P: Triangle of straight line is 180

3. Angle EDB = Angle EDB
P: I forgot what law this was called

4. Angle DEA = Angle CBD
P: 20 = 20

5. Triangle EDB is similar to triangle FDE
P: Angle-Angle (4, 5)

6: Angle DEA = Angle CBD
P: Corresponding angles of similar triangles are equal

7: Angle DEA = 20
P: (6)
Since the challenge was in finding the proof, not the answer I assumed x in order to tease out the process. Cheating I guess, but it works. Whoever made this question was a clever asshole.

My 8th grade teacher would be ashamed.
lolwut. that's a terrible proof. Some of that didn't even make sense. I'm calling BS on this one.

Haly

DanteFox said:
lolwut. that's a terrible proof. Some of that didn't even make sense. I'm calling BS on this one.
I admit I haven't done a geometry proof since forever so I might've messed something up.

Oh woops, I see what's wrong. Crap, well that messes everything up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
rage1973 said:
It's much easier when you draw some parallel lines and make a few parallelogram in the triangle.

fuck, i was drawing squares in the triangle, but parallelograms might make more sense.

Yaweee

So, the "t1 + t2 + t3 =180" sort of rules looked like they would work, but it doesn't because you surprisingly end up with linearly dependent equations.

My question is this:

For geometric problems like this one, are there any general rules that would state when you'd get linearly independent equations, and when you wouldn't? It genuinely seemed like you were extracting discrete pieces of information, but it's degenerate.

nincompoop said:
ITT: "This is so easy! It's completely obvious that the answer is (wrong answer)."

Actually, most people said it was easy without giving an answer. Now we think that they're good at math, and they don't have to prove it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
ProfessorLobo said:
Actually, most people said it was easy without giving an answer. Now we think that they're good at math, and they don't have to prove it.

The internet, where everyone thinks they're a world reknowned rocket scientist, cosmologist, linguist, biologist, famous writer, comedian, and philospher rolled into one.

XiaNaphryz

Yaweee said:
So, the "t1 + t2 + t3 =180" sort of rules looked like they would work, but it doesn't because you surprisingly end up with linearly dependent equations.

My question is this:

For geometric problems like this one, are there any general rules that would state when you'd get linearly independent equations, and when you wouldn't? It genuinely seemed like you were extracting discrete pieces of information, but it's degenerate.
I haven't had to do any linear algebra since college over 9-10 years ago, so I can't for the life of me remember if there was a general way to recognize if a geometric situation was linearly dependent or independent. I vaguely recall something about a set of vectors being linearly independent if you can prove that the only representations of the null vector are trivial?

FFChris said:
Do half of you ever bother to read the OP, or do you just post the first thing that comes to your head?
findX.gif

Feep

Banned
Here's a fun question. This took me six days to complete.

Two circles of radius r exist on a plane. How far apart should the centers of these two circles be such that the area of the overlapping region of the two circles is equal to the combined areas of the non-overlapping regions?

Edit: I just looked up the solution to the OP, because I fucking hate geometry. The solution is quite difficult and not at all elegant, in my opinion. Though, to be fair, neither is the answer to my problem. = D

No, the answer is not 67.5 = P

Hari Seldon

Yaweee said:

My question is this:

You can still solve it, you just need some more advanced linear algebra. :D That is why I asked if 67.5 is the answer, because that is what I got by using linear algebra.

Javaman

I love how a good chunk of people are posting what a piece of cake it was without even working all the way through the problem. It was smooth sailing for the first 5 or so missing angles but it all comes screeching to a halt around D.

Haly

Javaman said:
I love how a good chunk of people are posting what a piece of cake it was without even working all the way through the problem. It was smooth sailing for the first 5 or so missing angles but it all comes screeching to a halt around D.
System of equations won't work out, the solution is probably a very complicated series of additional parallel lines and application of the angle/triangle rules.

I'll solve this eventually.

Let the intersection of lines AE and DB be F.
AFB = 50 (sum of internal angles of a triangle.)
DFE = 50 (opposite angle rules)
EFB = 130 (adjacent angles of a bisected line sum up to 180)
DFA = 130 (adjacent angles of a bisected line sum up to 180)
DCE = 20 (sum of interior angles of a triangle)
FEB = 30 (sum of interior angles of a triangle)
ADF = 40 (sum of interior angles of a triangle)
CED + DEF + FEB = 180
CED + DEF = 150
CDE + EDF + ADF = 180
CDE + EDF = 140
CDE + CED + DCE = 180
CDE + CED = 160
EDF + DEF + DFE = 180
EDF + DEF = 130
CDE + CED + CDE + EDF +CED + DEF + EDF + DEF = 580
CDE + CED + EDF + DEF = 290
Given the system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns, the system is not exactly solvable and requires an additional piece of information.

I'm stuck here, I believe you have construct some kind of line out of the sides of the triangle so that congruency implies an angle.

Aegus

Err am I being dumb or the question basically asking how I came to define x in English?

In a question like this I'd provide both an equation answer and a proof stating all the steps and logic used in the equation.

loosus

Banned
So I'm stuck after I did my "the sum of all angles of a triangle equals 180 degrees" crap.

And I don't know where to go from here. I am guessing that congruency has something to do with it, but I am having trouble seeing how you can conclusively say that anything is congruent.

XiaNaphryz

Aegus said:
Err am I being dumb or the question basically asking how I came to define x in English?
It's asking to solve for X using only what's stated in the "Here is everything you need to know to solve the problem" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom