• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: First Trailer-September 14th [Out Now]

I wonder how Remedy feels about this. Not like it matters anyway, but I would like to know what they think of Rockstar's direction and where they would have taken the series had they not sold it.

I think I'm actually more excited that Rockstar is handling Max Payne 3. Their tech and Euphoria is just perfect for this type of gameplay. I'm sick of Havok, and that's all Remedy uses.

Ben Pierce said:
I wonder how Remedy feels about this. Not like it matters anyway, but I would like to know what they think of Rockstar's direction and where they would have taken the series had they not sold it.

I think I'm actually more excited that Rockstar is handling Max Payne 3. Their tech and Euphoria is just perfect for this type of gameplay. I'm sick of Havok, and that's all Remedy uses.

I wonder if we should ask Remedy on the AW boards. But then maybe they'd be like "Oh yeah, it's cool" PR-style. Unless that's their actual feelings. I hope they're excited as well.

Simo

They probably don't care, I mean they sold the rights off almost 10 years ago now to move on.

Ben Pierce said:

That and they put Max's animation data into Euphoria too so it'll be interesting to see his animations too. Previews sounded excited, in that with Euphoria, whenever Max bullet-time doges he'll actually react to the environment like crashing his shoulder in to a wall or if he's only using 1 weapon he'll reach out his hand to brace himself before hitting the dirt.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Max Payne 3 multiplayer. You better fucking know what you are doing. GTA4.. Red Redemption. People don't stick around for these for many years. Not because they can't work, but because there is not enough tightness and solidness put into them. Look to Counter-Strike to build a solid foundation, and to Halo and Starcraft on to making a multiplayer game that progressively makes the players more skilled.

Assassins Creed, Kane and Lynch, Red Dead.. Lots of games have wacky intersting 3d person modes and takes on classic game types, but they all lack polish. They all lack a sick netcode, and a competitive nature. They all waste the players time. They all take too long to get the people into the action. If you can't get this right, then it doesn't matter how great your multiplayer concept is. you need to have it ultra solid.

You don't have to make a e-sport game, but the same applies for community based games that people stick around with for years. Like Battlefield.

I don't know, I mean multiplayer is pretty huge part and the appeal FPS especially with Halo and Counter Strike so I'm quite sure the comparison is fair. Credit to Rockstar though I mean with the constant support of the MP modes both GTAIV and RDR's multi are still active, I mean I'm still playing Red Dead with my buddies and we're getting new DLC for Red Dead's multi next week too. It's probably thanks to the success of GTAIVs and RDR competitive modes that we're getting multi in Max Payne 3.

Alex

I've never really cared about Max Payne, but I like Rockstar's presentation as of late a lot and this is the studio who did Bully so I'm interested.

I don't mind the art style but thats a silly piece of art with the whole bad guy holding girl hostage in background. I however still love the tone the art style seems to be portraying in the screenshots so far.

G_Berry

Banned
Sethos said:
A2z1K.png

Nice.

Flavius

G_Berry said:

I like it as well, but I prefer being able to see the finer detail in Max's face in the OG version. I feel like I have a better sense of what the game is about from the original.

At least...gulp...I hope that I do! ;)

Salsa

you guys are like the fans saying Diablo 3 looked too bright

just wait till we see something before judging, the screens so far looked fine

watershed

Banned
Can't wait for the return of Max, I wanna shoot while falling sideways slowmo in hd!!! I wonder how much the gameplay has changed though? Are we gonna see a GTA style open world?

watershed

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I was just guessing that because its rockstars m.o. with gta, red dead, and the less than stellar open world of LA Noire. I wouldn't mind an open world if it was still dripping with style and grit Max Payne 1, that whole city felt cursed. The only thing I don't want to see is rockstar's trademark shoddy 3rd person controls, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Flavius

artwalknoon said:
I was just guessing that because its rockstars m.o. with gta, red dead, and the less than stellar open world of LA Noire. I wouldn't mind an open world if it was still dripping with style and grit Max Payne 1, that whole city felt cursed. The only thing I don't want to see is rockstar's trademark shoddy 3rd person controls, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Mind sharing why not?

It's definitely one of my biggest concerns, but I admit to not having kept up much with the Max 3 info.

Vigilant Walrus said:
So many games waste my time. So many games are full of fluff and features and key points that drag the whole experience down. The weakest link in the change decide the overall strength. Max Payne has no weak links.

Assassins Creed, Kane and Lynch, Red Dead.. Lots of games have wacky intersting 3d person modes and takes on classic game types, but they all lack polish. They all lack a sick netcode, and a competitive nature. They all waste the players time. They all take too long to get the people into the action. If you can't get this right, then it doesn't matter how great your multiplayer concept is. you need to have it ultra solid.

This can be said for a majority of games, honestly. It's gotten better this gen, but I still spend far too much time in menus, dealing with bad netcode, and wading through crap to get to the meat of the game. Hell, it's still a shock to me when devs can get loading into a multiplayer lobby to be quick and smooth to the point where I don't get hung up in a loading screen with no way to back out.

I hope the movement doesn't control like GTA4 or RDR. That sort of weighty feel where it's almost like you aren't really controlling the character, you're just shoving him around. Max Payne oughta be smooth and painless. Red Dead actually had some pretty good gunplay, so I'm not worried about that, but if I have one of those moments where Marston's walking animations make it impossible to walk through a door, then shit.

rosaceadude2112 said:
I hope the movement doesn't control like GTA4 or RDR. That sort of weighty feel where it's almost like you aren't really controlling the character, you're just shoving him around. Max Payne oughta be smooth and painless. Red Dead actually had some pretty good gunplay, so I'm not worried about that, but if I have one of those moments where Marston's walking animations make it impossible to walk through a door, then shit.

At the moment, that's pretty much my only concern as well. Max has to feel smooth, fluid, and nimble, not like he weighs five hundred pounds and is as dense as iron. More Uncharted and less Red Dead/GTA (in terms of weight/fluidity of walking and running)

watershed

Banned
Flavius said:
Mind sharing why not?

It's definitely one of my biggest concerns, but I admit to not having kept up much with the Max 3 info.
I worded that poorly, it definitely could be an issue but given that this is the 3rd game in an established series I'd think they'd stay close to the controls of the past games. Rockstar could still mess it up I just think having past games to base it off of should help. I'm worried about Rockstar trying to add new elements that are staples of their games like side quests, doing odd jobs, and stuff like that.

Fjordson

So hyped for this trailer. Full confidence in Rockstar, as usual.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Max Payne 3 multiplayer. You better fucking know what you are doing. GTA4.. Red Redemption. People don't stick around for these for many years. Not because they can't work, but because there is not enough tightness and solidness put into them.
You looked at any Xbox Live charts lately? GTA IV is still in the top 10 and RDR is in the top 15. People actually do play these games for years.
artwalknoon said:
I worded that poorly, it definitely could be an issue but given that this is the 3rd game in an established series I'd think they'd stay close to the controls of the past games. Rockstar could still mess it up I just think having past games to base it off of should help. I'm worried about Rockstar trying to add new elements that are staples of their games like side quests, doing odd jobs, and stuff like that.
Eh, I doubt it. I've read in their comments section replies from them telling people that this is definitely not open-world and "different from our other recent games".
Flavius said:
Mind sharing why not?
Considering this is a linear, third-person shooter and not a sprawling open-world adventure game, they're probably paying more attention to the gunplay. I mean sure, there's always a chance it could turn out bad, but I don't think it'll feel much like their other stuff.

That being said, I thought RDR's combat was great, so I ain't worried.

Flavius

Fjordson said:
Considering this is a linear, third-person shooter and not a sprawling open-world adventure game, they're probably paying more attention to the gunplay. Who knows, though. Always a chance it'll be terrible.

That being said, I thought RDR's combat was great, so I ain't worried.

As has already been stated, though, I'm not worried about gunplay and mechanics. I'm concerned about the physics modeling and level of control I'm going to have over my avatar. Max Payne doesn't feel at all like any of the other recent Rockstar games (at least, none that I can recall at the moment), and while I can handle the change in setting and removal of the noir-style, I've little interest in playing a game that is clearly, absolutely just Max Payne in name only.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I wonder if we should ask Remedy on the AW boards. But then maybe they'd be like "Oh yeah, it's cool" PR-style. Unless that's their actual feelings. I hope they're excited as well.

That's a good idea. I need to register for the AW boards and shoot them some questions. No matter each Remedy member's opinion, I'm sure that they all respect anything Rockstar does. If not for Rockstar, we may not have seen Max Payne in the first place.

Simo said:
That and they put Max's animation data into Euphoria too so it'll be interesting to see his animations too. Previews sounded excited, in that with Euphoria, whenever Max bullet-time doges he'll actually react to the environment like crashing his shoulder in to a wall or if he's only using 1 weapon he'll reach out his hand to brace himself before hitting the dirt.

Oh my god. I had no idea about this. Hyped even more. Rockstar really wants to make this right with the fans. Everything I continue to learn makes it easier to put complete faith in them.

Simo

Ben Pierce said:
Oh my god. I had no idea about this. Hyped even more. Rockstar really wants to make this right with the fans. Everything I continue to learn makes it easier to put complete faith in them.

Yep. Let me dig out the GI cover story and a couple of their quotes..
As you watch the game, the attention to detail is remarkable. If Max jumps sideways toward a crate (which is fully destructible like many of the objects in the environment), you'll see his hand reach down and support his weight so he can vault over it. When he lands, you'll feel a sensation of Max's new bulk as he hits the dirt. The animation system is clearly important to the team. During our interview, Rob Nelson was on his feet, miming jumps left and right with two imaginary pistols drawn, at one point crouching behind the couch to demonstrate the game's new cover system.

As Max dispatches enemies with arching slow-motion dives, you notice little details like the shower of shells ejecting from his weapon and the slow back and forth of the pistol's firing mechanism. As we hit a foe a story above us, his knees buckle on the ledge before he swan dives towards the ground. At key moments, the game enters into a striking "Bullet Cam" mode, where the viewing angle whips around and we follow the bullet up close as it penetrates an enemy's arm.

After a dive, the game even accounts for Max's realistic movement on the ground. Instead of magically popping up, you can fire with one hand as Max props himself up with the other, rotating his trunk around to target an enemy on the other side.

Here's a recent bit from Edge's preview back in May:
Meanwhile, shoot-dodge is accessible once again, allowing Payne to launch himself across the floor, over objects or down staircases to avoid incoming fire (beautifully shown as bullet trails burning through the air toward you). There are no canned animations – Payne can dive in any direction and when he lands, he reacts to the environment, thrusting out a hand or shoulder to absorb the impact, or thudding down stairs, legs flailing. “It really places him inside the environment in a way that makes the whole game feel more stylish and immersive,” says Nelson. “He feels like a character naturally responding to the world around him.”

Much of the game’s physicality is, of course, down to its NaturalMotion Euphoria component, which brings procedural animation and a full motion system to the character models. “Every game we do, we’re thinking about how to push NaturalMotion in new directions,” says Nelson. “I think Red Dead was a nice evolution from GTA, and Max is going to be the same thing again. We’ve put a lot of attention on AI reactions, making sure that the force of the bullet feels right. It adds a level of weight and realism to every character, and the beauty of it is we can vary the level of control we have over the system to suit a situation, which really helps us make it as cinematic as we want it to be.

“As we did in GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption, we’ve been working to improve the way enemies respond uniquely to each gunshot – they’ll even duck for near-misses. We also put a lot of work in to the bulletcams: we’re cutting to these a lot so we’re putting a focus on the forces to feel right when these things are hitting guys.”

Nelson also believes that adding Euphoria data to Payne’s own animations is the key element in the game’s crunching feel – and it’s still in development. “Depending on if you’re crouching into a wall when you’re shoot-dodging or flying down a set of stairs or landing on something, Euphoria is really helpful in making those situations feel natural, rather than having Max crash into things and ragdoll. We can make it feel like he’s anticipating an impact before it happens – that’s an exciting thing we’re working on.”

All of the preview is good read and answers quite a few questions like how they're handling the graphic novel style story telling and if it's linear or not:
http://www.next-gen.biz/features/max-payne-preview

Fjordson

Wow, never read that before sounds so awesome.

Lol Rob Nelson seems to be on every R* release. I remember he was on a bunch of pre-release stuff for Red Dead and LA Noire.

Is there any word at all about Dan Houser writing this?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
cacildo said:
This is São Paulo

http://oi56.tinypic.com/nyg2va.jpg

HUGE favelas living side by side with luxury condos.

60+% of the city population would like move out of the city, if they could.. And yeah, they made a research asking this.

There´s crime everywhere.

Its the perfect setting for a Max Payne game.

I seem to remember a very similar post being made back when the game was announced. Was this also you?

Edit: It may not have been around the time it was announced, but it was in a thread brimming with complaints about the setting.

What if the game would support a black & white filter ala LA Noire? Obviously not with an old scratchy effect but heavy contrast and dark tones? Would that satisfy the people who are bitchin' before they have ever seen moving footage or is it a classic case of haters gonna hate?

Simo said:
Max would often end up head first into a wall in the previous games. So I wonder how they're going to do this without it being restrictive or making Max look like a psychotic goof repeatedly smacking himself into walls and furniture with reckless abandon. I'm guessing they'll try to make the force of the dive relative to the clearance available.

In which case, hope there'll be a .cfg for removing that safeguard. Because that'd be funny.

Simo

JaseC said:
I seem to remember a very similar post being made back when the game was announced. Was this also you?

Edit: It may not have been around the time it was announced, but it was in a thread brimming with complaints about the setting.

You mean this one?
Max Payne 3 – Thoughts of a Brazilian Player

Great thread with lots of information on Sao Paulo. It was posted right when Game Informer had it's cover story.

Fjordson said:
Wow, never read that before sounds so awesome.

Lol Rob Nelson seems to be on every R* release. I remember he was on a bunch of pre-release stuff for Red Dead and LA Noire.

Is there any word at all about Dan Houser writing this?

He's the art director for all of Rockstar's games which is why he's always interviewed for previews and cover stories. No idea if Houser is writing though.

3 days and counting...though I wonder if, like every other Rockstar release since GTAIV, the trailer will leak before Wednesday?

Simo said:
He's the art director for all of Rockstar's games which is why he's always interviewed for previews and cover stories. No idea if Houser is writing though.

3 days and counting...though I wonder if, like every other Rockstar release since GTAIV, the trailer will leak before Wednesday?

It would be nice if it did. I'll probably be at work on Wednesday and I'll have to wait till the afternoon to watch it. Though if it were leaked earlier...

I hope this isn't just a minor tease, but like a really showy trailer (not spoiler-ish, but I'd like to see substantial gameplay and stuff).

If it's like McCaffrey narrating over 40 seconds of super fast cut footage, I'll be a little disappointed.

If that wound on his face is in the game, it looks like someone punched him incredibly hard in the eye.

OMG, quick time hand-to-hand combat!?

RUINED FOREVER.

SalsaShark said:
better have fuckin gameplay footage

I hope so too. However I have a feeling in the back of my mind that Rockstar will probably show a one minute teaser with just cinematics similar to what they did with RDR and L.A. Noire.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
If that wound on his face is in the game, it looks like someone punched him incredibly hard in the eye.

NOW HE'S GOT AN EYE SCAR

THAT'S SO ORIGINAL AND EDGY

Tunin

VibratingDonkey said:
Noir has changed.

sVtb8.jpg
(I know it's not set in Spain, stop being a pain, to the max...cut me some slacks?)
Yes, yes, you apologized and everything, but really?
Spain? We don't even speak spanish here in Brazil!

People have the right to dislike it since the first ones were set in your precious NY, but at least research a little bit to know what you're talking about.

Tunin said:
Yes, yes, you apologized and everything, but really?
Spain? We don't even speak spanish here in Brazil!

People have the right to dislike it since the first ones were set in your precious NY, but at least research a little bit to know what you're talking about.

Come on dude, he was just kidding around. The joke doesn't work with Max Portuguese.

Besides bro, doesn't everyone in South America pretty much sound the same?

Just kidding.

Tunin

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Come on dude, he was just kidding around. The joke doesn't work with Max Portuguese.

Besides bro, doesn't everyone in South America pretty much sound the same?

Just kidding.

brinquedo_teimoso_bozo.jpg

Try harder.
Besides, with every piece of entertainment placed in Brazil picturing people speaking spanish I really doubt he had any idea what he was talking about :-D :-D

Like I said in the other topic, I hope Rockstar did it's homework.

Tunin said:
brinquedo_teimoso_bozo.jpg

Try harder.
Besides, with every piece of entertainment placed in Brazil picturing people speaking spanish I really doubt he had any idea what he was talking about :-D :-D

Like I said in the other topic, I hope Rockstar did it's homework.

Hahaha, yes they did. Simo posted a casting call sheet. They're hiring all Brazilian/Portuguese actors for the Brazilian roles, including this girl (the only other cast member asides from McCaffrey I'm aware of): Benedita Pereira

Rockstar has their problems, but their casting is almost always spot-on. Also, are you suggesting that you are an inflatable clown?

Top Bottom