• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I should have started with Normal because Hard had me close to throwing my controller for the first time in years.

Normal is a pretty tough challenge at times... there are situations where you dominate a couple waves of dudes and feel a bit overpowered. But then the next section you have to retry 4-5 times. You realize the difference is making smart use of position and bullet-time. Cautious play with strategically timed, heroic-balls-to-the-wall moments will get you through most encounters. But haphazardly shoot dodging into a crowded room will generally get you dead. Even on normal, enemy fire will chew you up in seconds.

Normal is the perfect difficulty for me atm... will replay it on harder difficulties later, but right now this is the perfect amount of challenge. Just bordering on frustration.

Fjordson

Yeah, normal with free aim can be pretty challenging.

The most fun so far is when I've just been stupid aggressive and I barely make it through alive.

There was a part at the Branco offices that was really giving me trouble. Bunch of dudes all around a set of cubicles, kept getting flanked. Finally just said fuck it and dove right down the middle, capped like 5 of 'em before I even landed. I was super low on health and had the last guy round a corner behind me, but I managed to kill him from a last stand. So intense.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

The most fun so far is when I've just been stupid aggressive and I barely make it through alive

Was a part at the Branco offices that was really giving me trouble. Bunch of dudes all around a set of cubicles, kept getting flanked. Finally just said fuck it and dove right down the middle, capped like 5 of 'em before I even landed. I was super low on health and had the last guy round a corner behind me, but I managed kill him from last stand. So intense.

That part was kinda hard... after the fight I realized there were
painkillers scattered throughout the cubicles
. :(

Marleyman

Banned

The most fun so far is when I've just been stupid aggressive and I barely make it through alive.

There was a part at the Branco offices that was really giving me trouble. Bunch of dudes all around a set of cubicles, kept getting flanked. Finally just said fuck it and dove right down the middle, capped like 5 of 'em before I even landed. I was super low on health and had the last guy round a corner behind me, but I managed kill him from a last stand. So intense.

That part in the Branco offices was so bad ass.

Arcteryx

yep, there is definitely melee. i was just about to correct that poster myself.

in fact, it is badass brutal melee. the first time i pistol whipped a dude in the head and then immediately shot hiim in the face i was like "holy shit, this game!". this may be the most brutally violent (in a realistic way, not god of war like) game i have ever played (i have never played the soldier of fortune series). one time i kept pulling the trigger after a bullet cam (usually i don't to conserve ammo) and dude was on the ground with arterial spray shooting out of his stomach and chest from several holes. it was gruesomely detailed.

Yea I find the blood spray kills to be worse than the headshot kills. I had a total Die Hard moment last night: 10 bullets left in my MP5, 1 enemy. I slo-mo jumped and kinda slid under this table, saw his legs, emptied like 5 bullets into his knees, and then shot him in the face when he fell down(
he was one of those body armor guys, so hard to kill without a headshot
). But damn...the killcam had blood just spurting all over out of his legs. Looked like I hit his femoral artery, his dick, and both knees.

I killed the last two guys from the ground after a shoot dodge... it was one of the coolest fucking things.
The ground game is fanfuckingtastic. So much fun laying on your back shooting under cover at people's legs.

edit: also, that pink mist bus crush gif that's a favorite around here...did that last night with a truck...sogood.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
Man this game is so fucking good..a little hard to play with a controller man.. like I said I only played previous Max Payne games on PC like it should be ;).

I hope I get used to it quickly.

What do you guys feel is the best control scheme? I am using the default one with shooting on R1. But bullettime on R3 not really happy with that, especially cause the stick sucks on Ps3 to click in.

jonno394

Any UK stores selling this early? My banned site order has shipped but I would love to pick it up tonight from Birmingham City Centre.

Montresor

I'm finishing up some XBLA games and after that, I'm either gonna start 120+ hours of Fallout New Vegas... or go out and pick up Max Payne 3. The only thing stopping me is my terrible experience with the Gears 3 season pass. Then again pretty much everything about Gears 3 was incredible, and I had a blast playing it - the way Epic handled that pass soured me though.

Is there an in-depth look at all 7 pieces of DLC that come with the season pass?

All I know is:

June 2012
• Local Justice Map Pack

Summer 2012
• Disorganized Crime Map Pack
• Deathmatch Made In Heaven Mode Pack
• Hostage Negotiation Map Pack
• New York Minute Co-Op Pack

Fall 2012
• Painful Memories Map Pack
• Trickle Down Economics Map Pack

But it would be nice to more details.

MercuryLS

Banned
One thing I don't like about the controls is that Reload is on B and cover is on X. Shit is backwards! I can't tell you how many times I've gone to reload and instead got out of cover and got shot up.

Haven't played the X360 version, but the PS3 version looks pretty damn good, has 7.1 support, and is on a single disc. I am going to wager this is Rockstar's best effort yet on PS3. There is some pop-in at times during cutscenes, there is a dip in frame rate during a rain scene, and the default fire button is R2. It is super easy to swap the fire buttons, and the other stuff I mentioned has no effect on gameplay. Oh, and there is a large install at the beginning.

thanx!

Man this game is so fucking good..a little hard to play with a controller man.. like I said I only played previous Max Payne games on PC like it should be ;).

What do you guys feel is the best control scheme? I am using the default one with shooting on R1. But bullettime on R3 not really happy with that, especially cause the stick sucks on Ps3 to click in.

I'm thinking about buying the ps3 version (more friends than on 360).
Do you think it looks good?
Hows the anti aliassing for instance? Framerate?

Arcteryx

One thing I don't like about the controls is that Reload is on B and cover is on X. Shit is backwards! I can't tell you how many times I've gone to reload and instead got out of cover and got shot up.

Glad it's not just me.

No need to worry about the PS3 version, it's been flawless for me so far. Only a slight chug here and there when loading a new cutscene, otherwise perfect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It seems to use some sort of FXAA implementation and does run at 1280x720.

The framerate is a mostly steady 30 fps with some dips.

It's better than any of Rockstar's previous PS3 releases, I'd say.

You can change this in the options menu. I switched circle to cover and square to reload.

Ridley327

I'm pretty meh on the single player thus far, but I have to say that the multiplayer is probably going to end up as one of the biggest surprises. Despite the sloooooooow progression, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Sethos

Banned
LA Noire was on sale for $40 a couple of weeks after release. That's not to say that the same will happen for Max Payne 3, but it's not entirely without precedent.

Except I wouldn't call LA Noire a pure Rockstar game, that was a muddy colab title. Thinking in terms of GTA games, etc.

AEREC

Kinda wishing I got the PS3 version for now...kinda annoyed that i will have to switch out discs if I want to play SP, New York Minute, Arcade mode, etc...

So I was in the rookie team deathmatch last night and there were two guys on the opposite team that we could never kill. If you shot at them and got their health to zero it would magically regenerate until it was full. I'm not talking about using pain killers either they had zero deaths and about 20 kills each. Is this a bug or were these guys using some kind of cheat?

Sethos

Banned
Going by that logic, Max Payne wasn't originally a Rockstar IP, either. :p

That doesn't make sense. LA Noire was developed by Team Bondi, Rockstar published and helped develop. Max Payne 3 is a pure Rockstar development, they just took over an IP.

I was just curious about Rockstars price drops on their own babies, I recall the price being high for a long time outside of the localized offers.

The hyperbole about the multiplayer is really funn. I doubt even 75% in this thread will even be playing the multiplayer in 3 months. hope i'm proved wrong though...

PFft most people I noticed are like that. They get hyped about a mp title and go all out day one and then a few months they're hardly on. I seen it happen to Gears and UC3.

Ridley327

That doesn't make sense. LA Noire was developed by Team Bondi, Rockstar published and helped develop. Max Payne 3 is a pure Rockstar development, they just took over an IP.

I was just curious about Rockstars price drops on their own babies, I recall the price being high for a long time outside of the localized offers.

I remember RDR going on sale a few times shortly after release as well. Perhaps it's related to the relative newness of an IP that determines how they pursue sales? GTA can sell really well for a long time, but that may not be the case for something like an Old West title, a period detective game with no multiplayer, or, potentially in this case, a long-delayed sequel to a game that was considered a sales disappointment back in 2003.

Jharp

Unskippable cutscenes? Fucking serious, Rockstar? Jesus christ.

I just finished Chapter 3 last night and I really loved the
callback to the original two games with the flashback scene. I was fine killing brown thugs in Brazil and PMC types, but there is just something so definitively "Max Payne" about murdering mafiosos in the slums of New York City with snow covered rooftops and black nights. Everything from the look of the apartments to Max's suit were just ace.

That said, I feel like the cover system has ruined the gameplay of Max Payne a bit. I was fine with it being in the game before, and even when I replayed the first two games over the last few weeks to get hyped for this, I thought it'd be fine if everything were exactly the same but with a cover system, but it's clear that Rockstar has instead designed the game around the cover system in many ways. For example, starting at a checkpoint with nothing for cover but an ad stand and being swarmed by dudes. Specifically that one moment in Chapter 3. Max Payne levels have always been designed with tons of different cover points to allow you to shoot dodge between them, and even though Max Payne 2 toned it down a bit so they could essentially encourage you to run off into the fray with Bullet Time 2.0, it was still a pervasive theme in the level design.

This moment in 3 that I'm referencing (and I've seen two so far in the first three chapters, so I'm willing to bet it happens again) essentially forces you to stay behind cover and just fire at dudes as they come at you, Gears of War style. I can't just run out with bullet time on like in MP2 because the bullet time system doesn't refill in real time as you get kills and get slower with each kill, and there's no other cover to shoot dodge between, so you're basically stuck playing every cover based third person shooter from the last six years during certain moments of the game. It's just kind of a bummer. Especially if you're playing on Hard like I am, and health and bullet time are used up remarkably fast.

That said, those moments tend not to be too numerous (at least so far in the first three chapters), and aside from those specific moments, the game is all Max all the way. I'm loving it, despite my few complaints. I hope it remains as good for the rest of the game as has been these last few chapters. I'll post story thoughts when I get home from work tonight.

Well I guess with the Dutch Holiday tomorrow the game will ship Friday :(.
Guess I have to play on Sunday than because before that work and no game :(.

DF should have something up next week I think.

Dutch Holiday? It is a Christian Holiday and is celebrated in a lot of countries; Germany, France, Norway and more.

Darklord

Banned
Skimming over bits of the thread I can't see much on it so I'll ask, is the PC version alright or another kinda shitty Rockstar port?

Grisby

Got to ch4 or so last night. Really enjoying the game. The animation is amazing in some parts and the game looks great as a whole.

The framerate seems a little lower then I'd like it to be and it can have a noticeable drop when switching to gameplay from cutscene. That, and the after effects on some of the cinematics are wayyyyy overdone. Kind of ruins the quality a bit.

The major point though is that the game is fun to play and although the guns sound a bit weak the shooting feels good.

MMaRsu

Banned

Looks damn good except for some very minor framerate drops in cutscenes only.

Unskippable cutscenes? Fucking serious, Rockstar? Jesus christ.

I just finished Chapter 3 last night and I really loved the
callback to the original two games with the flashback scene. I was fine killing brown thugs in Brazil and PMC types, but there is just something so definitively "Max Payne" about murdering mafiosos in the slums of New York City with snow covered rooftops and black nights. Everything from the look of the apartments to Max's suit were just ace.

That said, I feel like the cover system has ruined the gameplay of Max Payne a bit. I was fine with it being in the game before, and even when I replayed the first two games over the last few weeks to get hyped for this, I thought it'd be fine if everything were exactly the same but with a cover system, but it's clear that Rockstar has instead designed the game around the cover system in many ways. For example, starting at a checkpoint with nothing for cover but an ad stand and being swarmed by dudes. Specifically that one moment in Chapter 3. Max Payne levels have always been designed with tons of different cover points to allow you to shoot dodge between them, and even though Max Payne 2 toned it down a bit so they could essentially encourage you to run off into the fray with Bullet Time 2.0, it was still a pervasive theme in the level design.

This moment in 3 that I'm referencing (and I've seen two so far in the first three chapters, so I'm willing to bet it happens again) essentially forces you to stay behind cover and just fire at dudes as they come at you, Gears of War style. I can't just run out with bullet time on like in MP2 because the bullet time system doesn't refill in real time as you get kills and get slower with each kill, and there's no other cover to shoot dodge between, so you're basically stuck playing every cover based third person shooter from the last six years during certain moments of the game. It's just kind of a bummer. Especially if you're playing on Hard like I am, and health and bullet time are used up remarkably fast.

That said, those moments tend not to be too numerous (at least so far in the first three chapters), and aside from those specific moments, the game is all Max all the way. I'm loving it, despite my few complaints. I hope it remains as good for the rest of the game as has been these last few chapters. I'll post story thoughts when I get home from work tonight.

Well on old school mode you cant use cover at all :p

Changed your mind on the writing, style and/or setting of the game? Or do you still feel it's inferior to the 2 previous ones?

It seems to use some sort of FXAA implementation and does run at 1280x720.

The framerate is a mostly steady 30 fps with some dips.

It's better than any of Rockstar's previous PS3 releases, I'd say.

You can change this in the options menu. I switched circle to cover and square to reload.

fucking glorious

MMaRsu

Banned
Changed your mind on the writing, style and/or setting of the game? Or do you still feel it's inferior to the 2 previous ones?

Well the style of the cutscenes is jarring, I wouldnt mind cutscenes only at all if it wasnt for those effects. Comic book style would have been much better.

So far it's pretty obvious to me that Sam Lake is a better writer than Houser, at least going by the monologue's by Max. I get that he's old and tired, but still I liked MP & 2 more in this regard.
The story so far, I can't say too much about it, so far it seems pretty basic but I'm sure it's going to unfold into something great.
Having said that the game really is great, but I will miss the dreamstate like levels, and more of the psychological stuff.

Bullettime seems pretty scarce compared to Max Payne 2.

-edit-

holy shit you can change the reload and cover button? SWEET.

Top Bottom