• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Dizzle24

My fav part is killing the last enemy in slow-mo, then being able to continue pumping bullets in his face as he falls. Awesome.

Also, I see that Rockstar is letting us bring our crews over to GTAV, per the manual. All I need is to join one now lol

Well the style of the cutscenes is jarring, I wouldnt mind cutscenes only at all if it wasnt for those effects. Comic book style would have been much better.

So far it's pretty obvious to me that Sam Lake is a better writer than Houser, at least going by the monologue's by Max. I get that he's old and tired, but still I liked MP & 2 more in this regard.

The story so far, I can't say too much about it, so far it seems pretty basic but I'm sure it's going to unfold into something great.
Having said that the game really is great, but I will miss the dreamstate like levels, and more of the psychological stuff.

Bullettime seems pretty scarce compared to Max Payne 2.

-edit-

holy shit you can change the reload and cover button? SWEET.

Ok, just wanted to see if we still disagreed on that. We do. :p

harrytang

seemingly running into glitches in mp on 360. for instance, trying to duel wield handgun and uzi can not work if the uzi is in the wrong hand. pulling the trigger and no bullets. had to switch to uzi first and then duel wield to have it sync up again. really sucks when you go into diving bullet time and realize you arent firing.

sometimes my mask wont appear even though its on my gear.

sometimes it says i have a burst but when i click the right thumb stick it resets to slightly over the zero burst.

other than that ive been playing only the free aim playlist. it's incredibly challenging to me. firing all over the goddamn place. bullet time burst really helps to control your shots.

vendettas are a lot of fun but i hate losing to the same person 10 times in a row and giving them so much xp. cant not click X though.

bullet time dive sucks when you clip the wall and your guy points guns at floor and you watch as you slow mo die.

still a blast to play for now. super challenging. getting better.

Just beat the story campaign today. Man, what I fucking ride. I right away started another playthrough and also tried out some of the arcade levels.

For those people wondering where the song "Tears" from HEALTH is in the game....not going to spoil anything, but its in there, and holy shit is it awesome when it starts playing.

Probably been answered a thousand times now but how is the PS version? Is it good? I am gonna get it tomorrow or today since its the only console i have now but im curious.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Probably been answered a thousand times now but how is the PS version? Is it good? I am gonna get it tomorrow or today since its the only console i have now but im curious.
Quite good. Pretty much exactly the same as the 360. I had to play with the sensitivity and controls a lot but it feels great now since there are a good number of customization options.

geebee

Banned
I'm trying really hard to like Max, but I feel that his voice actor is pulling a David Hayter and getting worse with each game.. the parts in the game when Max shouts or yells.. it sounds so forced and unnatural. Almost like a parody or Max Payne impersonation.. if that makes sense.

Simo

Holy shit. Going through the cemetery and I got chills man....
DeMarco confronting you about his son and the wailing of Max's dead daughter from the nightmare sequences in MP1 kick in with the music. Also RIP Vinnie.

This whole chapter so far has been awesome.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wait, what ratio of the cutscenes are pre-rendered? I was hoping the PC release would have an option to turn off all those shitty effects and words, but if the majority are pre-rendered, I can give up hope.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wait, what ratio of the cutscenes are pre-rendered? I was hoping the PC release would have an option to turn off all those shitty effects and words, but if the majority are pre-rendered, I can give up hope.
I honestly can't tell if any are prerendered and compression usually sticks out like a sore thumb to me. They're either recorded at very high quality, easily possible given the giant file size, or they're all real time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's really difficult to tell. The quality of the videos is high enough and the transitions smooth enough that you can't easily tell.

It's clear that some scenes are realtime while others are pre-rendered but I couldn't tell you the ratio.

I kind of like the effects and words myself, but they can be a bit thick at times.

I'm more concerned with how well 720p video (even nicely compressed video) will mesh with higher resolution realtime graphics than anything else. PC games also tend to struggle with playing videos while loading levels, unfortunately, so that could also result in hiccups. As it is, the game feels very seamless and polished on consoles. While playing the single player game you'll never see an actual loading screens and everything smoothly flows in and out of gameplay.

RoylAsult

Does the game freeze for any one else when trying to connect to a game on PS3? i get into games but then there are the instances that the game freezes on me while its trying to connect.

havnt had any issues in single player... yet lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

They mask the load times so I'm pretty sure most of them are prerendered.

kaskade

This game is the best shooting people game. Every single time the game goes slow motion for the final kills I can't help but have a smile on my face. The sound the bullets make when they hit the body and the little jerk the enemies make when they impact is awesome. It's brutally glorious.

I haven't touched the multiplayer yet but I probably will tonight. So far it was totally worth it.

Simo

HaHaha Max's reaction to Chapter XII spoilers....
his "artist interpretation" of him as a suspect so that he looks like Sam Lake "Max" was great.

To the PS3 users, can bullet time be mapped to some other button than R3?

Still waiting for my game to be dispatched from the UK, though i just got an e-mail with a pre-order reward code (pill bottle perk for MP), so it should go out any time now. I'll probably join you guys next week. :)

MMaRsu

Banned
How come I'm still not in the neogang crew??? :(((

I have two invites from Dsimo but how do I accept them? I click on crews and theres nothing.. in messagebox I cant accept anything just read that he invited me

XNarte

Goddamnit
how do I ger past the cemetery sniper part? Apparently running up the stairs is no the proper way

Listen to what your partner says. Wait until he shoots, then run to a tall gravestone (I zig-zagged, don't know if it helps), then kill wave one of guys, then wait until he provides cover again, then run to a closer gravestone, repeat, then run to the left of the stairs and flank the sniper and kill him.

That was tough for me too!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished Chapter 7 and switched from Soft Lock to Free Aim. Game feels so much better now. I guess it threw me off at the beginning since I wasn't used to the game yet and didn't have other settings dialed in.

Played a couple of hours last night and am absolutely loving this game. The presentation is so slick! It also has just the right amount of challenge which makes me eager to play it numerous times on different difficulties.

MercuryLS

Banned
Just finished Chapter 7 and switched from Soft Lock to Free Aim. Game feels so much better now. I guess it threw me off at the beginning since I wasn't used to the game yet and didn't have other settings dialed in.

Turn off the other two aim assists in the gameplay menu. Horizontal/Vertical sensitivity at 7 and aim acceleration at 10. Thank me later.

So I'm checking out the other difficulties...

Old School mode takes away last man standing? I don't think so, Rockstar. Beating it on hard is good enough for me.

Chapter 7 man, those sunny Brazilian beaches completely detract from the game. Now I know what Angry Fork was presuming about.

LOL

=P

Also, Max Payne is Bryan Cranston

HaHaha Max's reaction to Chapter XII spoilers....
his "artist interpretation" of him as a suspect so that he looks like Sam Lake "Max" was great.

My favorite little call back was Max
finally being able to play his theme with harmony and everything on the piano at the hotel.

Quikies83

uhhh.. all of a sudden my PS3 is locking up every time i'm joining a session on team deathmatch.. i've yet to get in a room.. No lockups or freezes anywhere else in game..

kaskade

Turn off the other two aim assists in the gameplay menu. Horizontal/Vertical sensitivity at 7 and aim acceleration at 10. Thank me later.

Yeah I should try that as well. It took me a while to get used to the aiming since it felt slow. Then my friend came over so we decided to play a few rounds of CoD and I was aiming all over the place since I put the sensitivity up in it. I'll try out when I get home.

Low sensitivity is easier but at the same time harder. It doesn't require as much finger finesse to keep you from aiming all over the place but I find it harder to actually get to other enemies quick enough.

Fry

Also, Max Payne is Bryan Cranston

That's what I thought when I saw this avatar:

bg0ybir.png

They mask the load times so I'm pretty sure most of them are prerendered.

That makes no sense, considering the game keeps track of what guns you are holding between every cutscene - unless the discs have prerendered cutscenes with max holding every combination of guns, most of the cutscenes have to be in-engine.

The only scenes that could be pre-rendered are
the ones between chapters where he's in his apartment or something, and the ones at the beginning of some missions before he's got any guns since there are no weapons involved

Do we know if there even are pre-rendered scenes, though? Everything's looked in-game thus far.

Quikies83

uhhh.. all of a sudden my PS3 is locking up every time i'm joining a session on team deathmatch.. i've yet to get in a room.. No lockups or freezes anywhere else in game..

6 straight times now it has frozen when "joining game". I've deleted the game data (5 gigs) and am redownloading now. I hope this fixes the issue. Anyone else had these issues on PS3?

Top Bottom