• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 PC Features Detailed.

There didn't use to be a gap at all. Thanks for doing us a favor, assholes.

True, but it's better than random cancellations and several month delays a few weeks before it's supposed to be released. Although I'm not 100% convinced that the PC delay was due to extra work being needed. Why would R* know they'd need two extra weeks months before release? Was that project management factoring in extra testing time due to the additional graphical features?

alan wake lighting is very intensive on gpu, this should run better at the same resolution.

Yeah thats true. Plus, looking at the screens, they aren't super impressive to me so I can see it getting a good FPS (hopefully). Only problem is next week is E3 lol.

Edit: technically 2 weeks I guess. Nice.

Scotch

True, but it's better than random cancellations and several month delays a few weeks before it's supposed to be released. Although I'm not 100% convinced that the PC delay was due to extra work being needed. Why would R* know they'd need two extra weeks months before release? Was that project management factoring in extra testing time due to the additional graphical features?

Of course it didn't need any extra work. They're trying to sell as many console versions before people start pirating the PC version. It's pretty common practice these days with PC releases.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Goddamn sounds crazy scalable. The uncompressed audio improvements sound amazing. Need to get a PC!
Wish I could take advantage of that. With how I run my PC, I'm still limited to standard analog output using the multichannel input on my receiver. The PC just doesn't sound as good as direct HDMI uncompressed audio from a different source.

Ah well...

Ridley327

True. Maybe with GTA 5 they can just use steamworks like most everyone else and most other 2K games instead of that stupid rockstar social garbage.

From what I understand, the Steam version is going to have achievements, but everything else (including cloud saves) will be handled by Rockstar Social Club.

Baby steps...

RedSwirl

Do we know what kind of DRM the game is gonna have at all?

Also, I'm kinda hoping they release a BD-ROM version of the game.

Derrick01

Banned
From what I understand, the Steam version is going to have achievements, but everything else (including cloud saves) will be handled by Rockstar Social Club.

Baby steps...

Yup. They'll get to 2012 standards eventually, they almost have no choice anymore lol

Sethos

Banned
Why is he pissed at Rockstar?

Because they kept messing up his work. Whenever he made a new ENB version, they created new shaders with a patch screwing everything up - So after the 1.0.4.0 patch he gave up updating the GTA IV ENB

DTKT

Because they kept messing up his work. Whenever he made a new ENB version, they created new shaders with a patch screwing everything up - So after the 1.0.4.0 patch he gave up updating the GTA IV ENB

Wait, I thought Rockstar had pretty much abandoned GTA4 on the PC? Now, you are telling me that someone made the game beautiful and Rockstar just released patches to mess with his work?

|:

Interesting high only recommends 3GB of system RAM. My oldass 4GB should still be OK.

I guess we wont see major RAM requirement increases until next gen consoles.

Sethos

Banned
Wait, I thought Rockstar had pretty much abandoned GTA4 on the PC? Now, you are telling me that someone made the game beautiful and Rockstar just released patches to mess with his work?

|:

The patches weren't to mess with his work, but I guess that's what he believed. They improved the performance by changing the shaders, especially the shadows got a big lift in the later patches.

I can see getting your work ruined all the time sucks but he's a bit of a primadonna.

Zep

Banned
The patches weren't to mess with his work, but I guess that's what he believed. They improved the performance by changing the shaders, especially the shadows got a big lift in the later patches.

I can see getting your work ruined all the time sucks but he's a bit of a primadonna.

Is he even needed anymore? The ENB mods that I use in NBA2k12(which are awesome) are from various people. I appreciate the work hes done, but I'm guessing others have/will pick up the ball and keep it rolling with MP3.

Sethos

Banned
Is he even needed anymore? The ENB mods that I use in NBA2k12(which are awesome) are from various people. I appreciate the work hes done, but I'm guessing others have/will pick up the ball and keep it rolling with MP3.

The core ENB is made by him in most cases, people just take his work and tweak it but they aren't really progressing the ENB. Like the billions of ENBs for GTA IV.

kase23

No; it's using its own DRM for the retail version. Only the Steam version is Steamworks, just like LA Noire.

This just answered a question I came into the thread to ask, thanks!
I might hold off grabbing it till the steam summer sale for now though with D3 still fresh.

Gaogaogao

"If you’re coming in at the bottom end, you’re still going to be able to have a great time playing Max Payne 3."

What does this mean?

"If you’re coming in at the bottom end, you’re still going to be able to have a great time playing Max Payne 3."

What does this mean?

I think he's promising that you can still play the game smoothly with specs closer to the lower end of the spectrum. He could be talking shit, but there's no way to know until June 1st.

soultron

Banned
Holy fucking shit.

Makes waiting worth it. Building a new PC for this shit -- that's it, no more waiting. I've played through the game 3 times already on console.

I just want mod support now. That'd be the cherry on top.

soultron

Banned
The install size seems completely ridiculous even with their explanation.

If it allows you to skip the (sometimes lengthy) cinematics, it'll be worth it.

One of the worst things with the console version is that sometimes you can't skip cinematics (STILL LOADING is what you'll see in the bottom right) and this can be really aggravating when you've beaten the game and seen the story out already.

Enco

So for the PC pre order we got:

Max Payne 1 = £6
Max Payne 2 = £6
Max Payne 3 = £30
LA Noire = £20

All for the price of £30. Pretty sweet deal. £32 of free content.

edit: pretty much getting paid £2 to buy the game. In a way

Jtrizzy

Wish I could take advantage of that. With how I run my PC, I'm still limited to standard analog output using the multichannel input on my receiver. The PC just doesn't sound as good as direct HDMI uncompressed audio from a different source.

Ah well...

This post saddens me. You can't run a long hdmi cable to your home theatre set up? I have my 580->Denon 1.4 receiver-->plasma and it's so awesome. I guess you can't run an optical cable either because you'd need a sound card to get 5.1? That was the problem I ran into, I tried the sound card route, but ended up returning it and getting a decent receiver.

I rented this game for PS3 just to get a taste, and it looks good. I can only imagine how good this is going to look after reading this. If the cut scenes are in 1080p, I may have a seizure.

UrbanRats

True. Maybe with GTA 5 they can just use steamworks like most everyone else and most other 2K games instead of that stupid rockstar social garbage.

I don't like everything to be tied to Steam, to be honest.
Steam it's great, but it's still DRM, so if we can do without, better.

But i don't like the Social Club stuff either while i'm playing, i remember it slowing things down a ton in GTA4, i hope they fixed that issue.
-
Regarding ENB: Boris is a very weird dude, but we don't really need his input to have ENB on Max Payne, there are tons of fans working on ENB all the time, for Skyrim and all sorts of titles, so i guess we can hope it'll work good with MP3, too.. eventually.

I do wonder if they are using the same iteration of the RAGE engine with GTA V that they are using in MP3.

I know they added new stuff like DX11 Tech and other PC features to the version of RAGE that is powering Max Payne 3, but will that all translate over to GTA V?

Will how MP3 performs on PC be a good indicator of how GTA V should perform on PC or have the Rockstar North guys built their own GTA specific version of the RAGE engine for GTA V?

Vlaphor

Have their been any comments on how mod-friendly this game will be? Max Payne 1 and 2 had amazing mods and I'd like to see what could be done with this.

Telaso

Banned
Ordered my second GTX680 today, and another 16gb of ram to add on to my existing 8.

The high res thread is gonna die hard for the next few weeks!

so fucking pumped for this

rockstar... you finally got PC gaming right

now do this with RDR and make sure GTA5 releases side by side with consoles... and you got me netted on day 1s :D

Vlaphor

It did, but it was nowhere near mod friendly. The modders were just hardcore.

I could've sworn that an actual modders kit was released for the first two games. I know they at least had a dropdown menu on the launch screen that let you choose which mods to load before starting the game, and I'll be surprised if Max Payne 3 has even that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I could've sworn that an actual modders kit was released for the first two games. I know they at least had a dropdown menu on the launch screen that let you choose which mods to load before starting the game, and I'll be surprised if Max Payne 3 has even that.
Right, that's true. I was referring to the engine. The modders complained about how difficult it was to change even basic things like animations.

Ordered my second GTX680 today, and another 16gb of ram to add on to my existing 8.

The high res thread is gonna die hard for the next few weeks!

I know whose house I'm bustin into ^_^

jk. I'm plenty happy with my 12gb/gtx580/i5-2500k@4.5ghz :D

(patiently awaiting the gtx 780)

Hmm. I want to pick this up, but my backlog is really growing too fast for me to jump into a new purchase at $60. I just got done with GTA IV & the expansions for god's sake (picked them up over Christmas).

UrbanRats

People don't want it because it's DRM, it's for the convenience of having the game on a list.

Yes, that's why i like it too, but at the same time, i don't like everything tied to it, since it's a closed system that can potentially lock you out of ALL your games with one issue alone.

Jtrizzy

I get the high end test spec stuff, but is there any possible way to use more than 8gb of RAM in any current game? Let alone 16.

Eusis

No; it's using its own DRM for the retail version. Only the Steam version is Steamworks, just like LA Noire.
Kind of the bitter irony: larger games are better to get physically to save on bandwidth, yet to avoid the bullshit DRM you need to go with Steam.

... Ahh, mine's fast enough and I can wait, I'll just get in a Steam sale. Cox is nice and fast enough here anyway.

EDIT: Actually, LA Noire DOES mention SolidShield... Dammit. Though the Steam DRM list cites an unknown machine activation limit, maybe there is none or it's set at something insane like a thousand?

Top Bottom