• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May U.S. Primaries |OT| Glory to America

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

While that is true, my reading of the current times is that there are now more Republican-leaners who would consider that a bad thing (in the 90s, this seemed to be limited to mostly overly-religious puritan types who gave a shit about this on a personal level). There are also more Democratic-leaners who are turned off more about this, enough that it might consider them to second guess Hillary.

I'm not really thinking about the die-hards. Their minds are already made up. I'm trying to visualize the people who are on the edge of being persuaded either way.
You could argue that people who are more sensitive to this issue in 2016 are also more likely to reconsider whether a woman should be blamed for her husband's failings.

It's hard to tell the effect unless the news item picks up steam and hangs in the news for a few days while pollsters do their things.

giga

SUbwMAt.png

3cOYw5fxrxOPm.gif

danm999

Technically Weaver is correct. Superdelegates can flip their allegiance up until the convention. In fact it just happened this week!
Unfortunately for Sanders it was one of his flipping to Hillary.

Technically Weaver is correct. Superdelegates can flip their allegiance up until the convention. In fact it just happened this week!
Unfortunately for Sanders it was one of his flipping to Hillary.
But superdelegates ruin democracy so if they switch they are robbing the voting republic thier voice for the person who has the most votes and delegates to put in a anti-some word being over used in

You could argue that people who are more sensitive to this issue in 2016 are also more likely to reconsider whether a woman should be blamed for her husband's failings.

If a male candidate's wife cheated on him, wouldn't that have a serious impact on the male candidate?

(not saying either is right)

IJoel

Such hypocrisy. First complains that super delegates aren't following the will of the voters, and now wants the super delegates to go against the will of the voters.

dramatis

If a male candidate's wife cheated on him, wouldn't that have a serious impact on the male candidate?

(not saying either is right)
When has that ever happened.

In a hypothetical world, that would be equal treatment. But you know that is not the case. Woman cheats on/leaves a man? Gamergate. Man cheats on woman? "I love Bill, I hate Hillary."

dramatis

Hey GAF,

There is actually a primary today! But the Republican race is pretty much wrapped up, and the Democratic primary in Washington state is actually a beauty primary—the results don't affect the delegate count.

Mail in ballots have been heading out in California, I don't know if there's a deadline to request a ballot but you can probably check to see if you can do mail in if you are in CA.

May's over, E3 and California are coming.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Got my vote on again today.

GA already had their presidential primary way back when.

Today was all of the rest of the state and local shit.

adj_noun

There is actually a primary today! But the Republican race is pretty much wrapped up, and the Democratic primary in Washington state is actually a beauty primary—the results don't affect the delegate count.

I'm mainly waiting to see how Ben Carson does just for giggles. He never bothered to get his name off the ballot even though we were asking him to. Cruz and Kasich are both still on there as well. Our Republican primary is like a very weak time machine.

As for Washington having a primary for the Republicans that counts and a caucus for the Republicans that doesn't and a primary for the Democrats that doesn't and a caucus for the Democrats that does, I'm sure we're working on that. Probably.

Goodstyle

VJ1sXUd.jpg

This is not looking good. I am legit scared. Trump is going to win.

- Wait till the Dem primary ends
- Wait till Joe and Obama start campaigning
- Wait till Hillary starts attacking Trump for real

Just gonna respond with this every time this comes up.

Kusagari

Such hypocrisy. First complains that super delegates aren't following the will of the voters, and now wants the super delegates to go against the will of the voters.

The will of the voters are the ones showing him doing better in polls against Trump obviously.

Gutek

- Wait till the Dem primary ends
- Wait till Joe and Obama start campaigning
- Wait till Hillary starts attacking Trump for real

Just gonna respond with this every time this comes up.

How about we don't wait. That is exactly what gave us Trump in the first place. Not taking him seriously and waiting.

Horns

I'm not worried. Trump is riding momentum at the moment. Only a month ago it was looking like it might be a contested convention and Bernie might drop out. Now, Trump is the nominee and Bernie is still in it. Democrats are fractured, but there's enough time to repair it.

VJ1sXUd.jpg

Take a deep breath and remember national polls mean nothing. If they did AL Gore would have beaten George Bush. Even if trump took Ohio he isn't flipping other blue states. The electoral math is all that matters.

RPGCrazied

How about we don't wait. That is exactly what gave us Trump in the first place. Not taking him seriously and waiting.

Yeah, Bernie staying in really isn't helping matters. I did vote for him, but at this point he really doesn't have a chance. Time to get out and unite the party. Thankfully Trump is struggling to unite the Republican party.

Tubie

2 or even 3 out of those 3 things depend on when Bernie decides to drop out, the longer he stays the longer Trump gets a free ride.

Goodstyle

What do you mean "we"? I mention waiting because we don't have any actual power in this until June 7th, and of course, November. Bernie still being in at this point wasn't in our control. Dems are not unified yet because Bernie is still in the race, this isn't a hypothetical, it's a fact. When they finally do get unified, then we can talk about poll numbers.

Hey GAF,

> 1 million ballots returned even though the candidates are basically decided and one side actually has no bearing on the outcome. Turnout was 230K for the Dem caucus.

jerry113

Banned
VJ1sXUd.jpg

Popular vote =/= Electoral Vote

As long as Clinton wins the electoral votes from the handful of battleground states that actually make a difference in the general election outcome, she's good. Remember that a candidate can become a president even if he/she loses the popular vote, as long as he/she wins the electoral vote.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's basically all about Pennsylvania.

If on election night, PA is called for Clinton, she will be President
Without PA Trump really has no path to victory

This is mostly due to demographics and the rust belt. It's the only area where Trump might be able to turn things in his favor.

Speaking of Trump, after his win in Washington today, he's only 10 delegates shy of clinching the nomination. The Anyone But Trump movement in the GOP is running out of time

dramatis

Last primary of May is over. A general summation: Trump won the Washington state Republican primary, and grabbed all the delegates, while Hillary won the Washington state Democratic primary, but nets no delegates given that the primary is not what determines the delegate allocation in WA.

Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary [The Seattle Times]
Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton rolled to wins in Washington’s relatively low-stakes presidential primary Tuesday night.

In the Republican race, Trump was dominant, taking more than three-quarters of the vote and continuing his now-unobstructed march to the GOP nomination.

On the Democratic side, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton beat Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. She had nearly 54 percent of the vote in Tuesday’s returns in a major reversal — though purely symbolic — from March caucuses, in which Sanders dominated.
Regardless of personal preference, all of the state GOP delegates will be bound according to the primary results at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland this summer. Tuesday’s win means Trump will take the bulk of the delegates, and maybe all of them, once the count is finalized.

Democrats won’t use the primary results, and their state party officials have criticized the $11.5 million cost of the election.
As of Tuesday, more than 660,000 Democratic votes had been counted in the primary.

About 486,000 votes had been counted in the Republican primary.

Primary votes will continue to be counted as they arrive at county elections offices in coming days.

Under Washington’s all-mail system, ballots had to be postmarked as of Tuesday to be counted.
In comparison, only about 230k (estimated) votes were cast in the Democratic caucus, which lead to the Sanders 72% victory.

See you guys in June!

Measley

If you notice, the polls didn't start to get close until Cruz and Kasich dropped out and Trump became the nominee. Why? Because the GOP votes were divided, just like the Democrat votes are divided right now between Clinton and Sanders. Once the democratic primary ends, the numbers will change, and we'll have a better idea of where we really stand.

Africanus

Do you all remember that you can lose the popular vote by a good margin and still win the election?

Not that I believe we are ever getting that close, but still. Those number mean nothing.

Crayons

Banned
I originally wanted Biden to run, but then he didn't and Ben Carson ran and I was all, wow what an intelligent man. He should be president. Since he dropped out though, I'm a fan of Trump and Sanders.

Sanders for Trump's VP 2016!!

Azzanadra

American politics are a reality show to the rest of the world, aint it just the republicans- the democrats are just as guilty for perpetuating this image, both Bernie and Hillary. Like you can see this when you watch the debates for example, every time someone says something cool or makes a point they just stand there with a "fuck yeah" face followed by applause, like they just did Tyrion's "I demand a trial my combat" speech in Game of Thrones. Its actually kind of funny, but very much sad at the same time.

I mean just look at this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GygiDCqCoU

Video uses mainly republican examples, but I have noticed this "reality show" behavior in democratic debates as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom