• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May wrasslin' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I think we should have a caption contest.

vyv4sm.jpg

Also, apparently Smackdown is on tonight and Jericho makes his big debut
6ft7vc.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
CM Punk Vs EDGE looks nice.
Two of my favorite wrestlers right now. Tough EDGE > Everyone

Penguin

Guzim said:
Smackdown sounds great tonight.

Thanks to the power of Australia, I already saw tonight's ep, and it is pretty solid affair.
I don't think there is much wasted, other than some Cryme Tyme/Diva dance-off segment.

Kind of an interesting development at the end of the show, the main focus seems to be on
Jericho, Punk, Edge, Jeff Hardy, Umaga and Morrison
:D

Striker

Such potential in the upcoming months for the Smackdown show. Jericho, Edge, CM Punk, Morrison, Shelton... do it right!

Forkball

Gah I can never catch Smackdown, but I'd rather see Jericho, Punk, and Morrison over most people on Raw.

Some gifs to kick off the new month:

2icbfyc.gif

e86c5y.gif

EpicFail.gif

5wfhb5.gif

hart_chick.gif

-Kh-

Banned
A look here it is :lol

Copy/paste from April's:

Nobody commenting SD today yet?
Guess not many unspoiled European and Australian viewers around then

Anyway, what a great episode it was. SD has been by far my favourite over Raw for a few years now. But this week's episodes tops everything since Edge took over SD as his show
just like he said it himself, and well deserved it too

The WWE post WM25 has started the new season in an spectacular way, from the Draft to the Last Man Standing match, from SuperStars to this week's Raw and SD. I wonder what has gotten into Vince lately, because it certainly doesn't looks like him at all.

Fresh people getting pushes? MVP standing up to Randy? Morrison facing up Jericho? Edge putting over Jeff and Punk in the same night? Umaga resurgence? Matt using his injury as a weapon? The Miz screwing up with Cena's past-time? HHH out of TV for a kayfabe injury? A proper Batista-Randy feud
finally
? Christian and Swagger putting some of the best matches that has been seen this year (with all due respect to Taker/HBK and Edge/Cena LMS)?

And I think I could be going on with a few more amazing interrogants. Anyway, did Vince finally went crazy or something?

Returning into the SD topic, one of the main reasons of why I thought it was such an amazing episode, was the opening promo:

1_38.jpg

2_9.jpg

Jericho in the mic, Punk standing up to him, and Edge creating the best atmosphere ever
too bad there's no going to be any Edge/Jericho/Punk match anytime soon :(
Punk deserves his title run. He has the ring skills (although he could use a submission move of his own), he is super popular (might not be Jeff-levels but I guess the mostly guys fans do make up for the girls/kids) and his mic-skills are at a top level right now, the only thing he is missing, besides the belt, is tuning heel
(Jeff winning the belt, Punk going all heel on him and the Chicago people, just as awesome but way more espectacular than back at ROH).

As many people have already said, Jericho and Morrison will be a great feud. I will try to avoid commenting anything at all about Shawn Michaels, since I'm a Bret Hart diehard fan, therefore nothing good will come out from my keyboard about HBK.
Morrison might as well come out Summerslam ready for a title run thanks to Y2J. He is great in the ring, just need a proper guidence with the mic as a face, since his overcockyness might not be that great for that.

And although I thought that Edge's faces were great, the best one of the night was this one:

Maria.jpg

Poor Maria. Wrong place, wrong time.

-Kh-

Banned
GoutPatrol said:
I still think it is a bad idea to make Morrison a babyface. He just oozes heel charisma.

As far as he retains some of his cockyness, he could do great. The main problem is that not many have mastered the Austin heel-way of being a face while remaining a big SOB.

orioto said:
May will be Kennedy's month !!
or not :(

I agree with you! The month of Mr Kennedy is May
2010 :(

Striker

I personally had hoped Mr. Kennedy came out to speak out on Legacy, and Randy Orton. He's a better worker on the mic than MVP, and with MVP currently holding the U.S. strap, it didn't made great sense. Still, though, MVP is a good wrestler and usually holds his own against the top stars, even though most often he'll be carrying them throughout the match (see Big Dave).

Maybe he returns Monday and confronts The Miz.

As for Morrison, I really like it. Smackdown needs a fresh balance between the heels and faces, and there is, along with no hard bodies who are stiff wrestlers (see Big Dave). Umaga seems to be the punisher of sorts in this. I can see him and Jeff Hardy having another on-going feud (assuming he re-signs?). There's also Edge, CM Punk, Shelton, Jericho, Morrison... ahh.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Morrison is hell of a wrestler, but he is heel to the bone!
And indeed EDGE owns SmackDown right now. Props to him

Fersis

My lamp is down... :(
Im not gonna watch CM Punk VS EDGE :(

Awesome face of EDGE while Punk and Jericho talked.

-Kh-

Banned
You know Fersis, the turrets are actually way better for this than the lamps stuff. Maybe for Raw live, but SD can be ahd np thanks to them.

Since a few months back I have Sky Sports so I can watch Raw live, and SD at normal UK time, but I still prefer to dl them, just because I can watch it at my own pace and skip what I don't feel like watching (Santino, Divas, Khali, etc).

Lebron

This is the first time I've actually tuned in to Smackdown on purpose instead of stumbling on to it while channel surfing in a long while :p

Fersis

-Kh- said:
You know Fersis, the turrets are actually way better for this than the lamps stuff. Maybe for Raw live, but SD can be ahd np thanks to them.

Since a few months back I have Sky Sports so I can watch Raw live, and SD at normal UK time, but I still prefer to dl them, just because I can watch it at my own pace and skip what I don't feel like watching (Santino, Divas, Khali, etc).

Dude Santino and Santina are awesome! :)

Lebron said:
This is the first time I've actually tuned in to Smackdown on purpose instead of stumbling on to it while channel surfing in a long while :p
Right now Smackdown is amazing and its gonna get even better.
Think about it : Edge,Jericho,Morrison,CM Punk,MVP

Lebron

Fersis said:
Right now Smackdown is amazing and its gonna get even better.
Think about it : Edge,Jericho,Morrison,CM Punk,MVP
Yes that and also no HHH/Batista! Now if I could only get it in HD...

Fersis

Lebron said:
Hey hey, Triple H can be awesome.

-Kh-

Banned
Lebron said:

It usually is up in 720p on Saturday afternoons, 576p are released earlier.

Hey hey, Triple H can be awesome.

He should be awesome putting over the young guys, like you know, not winning WM over Randy, and stuff like that.

Fersis

Oh Jeff wons another title shot.... T__T
He is gonna have an overdose and lose that oportunity too

Striker

Fersis said:
Oh Jeff wons another title shot.... T__T
He is gonna have an overdose and lose that oportunity too
You don't like Jeff getting title shots, but you like Triple H? Erm...

WWE is the shitheads who ruined Hardy's last title run. He definitely earns another chance.

Forkball

I don't get why everyone wants Punk to turn heel. Smackdown needs a fresh faces. The top faces on the show are Taker, Hardy, and Mysterio. Fun guys to watch, but I don't think a lot of people want to see them in the main event every PPV.

Fersis

Striker said:
You don't like Jeff getting title shots, but you like Triple H? Erm...

WWE is the shitheads who ruined Hardy's last title run. He definitely earns another chance.
mhmh im not saying that Triple H should getting 'another' title shot.
I like Triple H as heel putting over other wrestlers.
And its not a secret that i dont like Jeff not because his skills(He is a great wrestler) but because his drug abuse.
I preffer cleaner and more professional wrestlers to get pushed instead of Jeff.

EDIT:And of course sorry for my english V__V
EDIT2: Cryme tyme should be banned from the WWE

-Kh-

Banned
Forkball said:
I don't get why everyone wants Punk to turn heel. Smackdown needs a fresh faces. The top faces on the show are Taker, Hardy, and Mysterio. Fun guys to watch, but I don't think a lot of people want to see them in the main event every PPV.

I agree with that. New face guys are needed, so having Punk going on as face will be great as well. The thing about him is that he can be a great heel too, and with all his experience now, he could do even a way better job as one than when he was at ROH.

Either as far as there ire Edge and Jericho as main heels, they will overshadow even the best faces out there. They are just too good.

Btw, what time does SD finishes? I want to post a couple of gifs from the main event, but I don't want to spoil anyone :lol

Fersis

-Kh- said:
I agree with that. New face guys are needed, so having Punk going on as face will be great as well. The thing about him is that he can be a great heel too, and with all his experience now, he could do even a way better job as one than when he was at ROH.

Either as far as there ire Edge and Jericho as main heels, they will overshadow even the best faces out there. They are just too good.

Btw, what time does SD finishes? I want to post a couple of gifs from the main event, but I don't want to spoil anyone :lol
EDGE and Jericho are the best heels on the WWE and they are on the same brand.
This year is gonna be awesome.(I still found odd that BackLash was so better than WM 25)

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Lebron said:

YOU SEE? IT'S NOT JUST ME!!!!!:lol :lol :lol

Forkball

Am I the only one bugged when the champions come out first? The champions should come out last always, I don't care if he's a heel or a face.

SadJimRoss.gif

-Kh-

Banned
Forkball said:
Am I the only one bugged when the champions come out first? The champions should come out last always, I don't care if he's a heel or a face.

When it is a new crowned champion, I think it is right for him to open the show, however on a weekly basis, I think a nice mid-card match is a much better opening than a worldtitle-level promo.

k2kzl1.gif

Forkball

-Kh- said:
When it is a new crowned champion, I think it is right for him to open the show, however on a weekly basis, I think a nice mid-card match is a much better opening than a worldtitle-level promo.
I mean during the intros of the match. Like just now, Edge came out before Punk did. I know it's not a title match, but still. It also happens during title matches as well.

Fersis

So EDGE is still champion and CM Punk is still MITB ?

-Kh-

Banned
Forkball said:
I mean during the intros of the match. Like just now, Edge came out before Punk did. I know it's not a title match, but still. It also happens during title matches as well.

Oh, I see.

Yeah, agreed with that. The Champion, no matter at what level, should always come last, the challenger/s should go first.

fistfulofmetal said:
Punk going over Edge clean is like... an absurdity to my RAW centric mind. Like... how? How does a match end with a clean win?
Lebron said:
yes, apparently. I still can't believe they gave him a clean win

Behold the beauty of an Edge match with no Cena involved!

And blame Edge for all your bandwiths:

Spear

2ppgcjk.gif

GTS

mhuik0.gif

Bret should be so proud of his fellow canadian, dungeon student and friend.

Azuran

Banned
Awesome episode. Not having to stare at Batista, Triple H or Cena's mugs really makes a great difference and also brings the quality of the show up.

DMczaf

WWE will be releasing a new DVD-special on July 14th focusing on the greatest tag-teams in history. The DVD will be called "Allied Powers - The World's Greatest Tag Teams", which is funny because WWE had a tag-team called "Allied Powers" with Lex Luger and Davey Boy Smith that might not even make the cut.

:lol

-Kh-

Banned
Great Punk interview with The Sun.

I'll post it in its entirety, since the site isn't worth the clicks:

- How do you feel about the move to Smackdown?

I’m excited. I’ve done the ECW thing, won the titles there. Did the Raw thing and won all the titles there. Might as well go over to Smackdown and see what happens!

- We loved the Money in the Bank match, but we had it down to Christian or Kofi to win.

I’ll be honest, I thought Shelton was going to win.

- When did you find out it was you?

Not long before. They keep things pretty hush hush, you find out on a need to know basis.

- It was probably the best Money in the Bank match so far...

I haven’t watched it yet. I’m waiting for it come out on Blu-ray!

- Well, it’s excellent. Kofi Kingston was great.

Yeah, he is a breath of fresh air. It was my third one so I feel like I’m boring and stale.

- We thought it might get to the end of the WrestleMania show and then you’d cash the briefcase in...

A lot of people have said that. That would have been really fun. That would have been rad.

- Do you think that’s the way it will happen again, the shock run-in, or would you prefer to have a straight up match this time?

If it was up to me, I’m a guy who gets bored very, very easily and doing the same thing over and over again isn’t very appealing, I would much rather do it a different way. I’m all for the ambush thing. I thought it was fun and it gets a reaction.

But I’m always thinking character-wise too. No-one ever thought CM Punk would be world champion, and that it was a fluke the way I won it. This time, perhaps I'll silence the critics and call someone ahead of time.

- The last time you were champion you capitalised on Batista's actions on Edge. Do you think the fact that you didn’t win a match for the title harmed your reign as champion?

Not at all. I don’t at all. Edge did it, he was ok. To me it was a bad guy getting his comeuppance. What goes around comes around.

- You’re over on Smackdown now, so is there anyone on that brand who you haven’t got to grips with yet and would like to?

There’s a laundry list of guys that I’ve yet to wrestle, and I’m started to get a little p***ed about it.

Undertaker would be the number one guy now I’m on Smackdown. I’ve never wrestled Cena, Triple H, HBK or Jeff Hardy. To me, those are five huge, huge matches and I would love nothing more than to get in there with those guys.

- You list those five guys, the thing that strikes immediately is that they are all currently babyface, the same as yourself. Is there a chance we could see a heel CM Punk any time in the near future?

If it was up to me, then yes, absolutely. Do I think WWE is ready for a heel CM Punk? No, I don’t. I don’t see it happening any time soon. But man would that be fun.

- Do you have a pick for the ‘next big thing’? Ted DiBiase, a lot of people say, and Swagger is another obviously one.

I don’t think either of those guys can touch Evan Bourne. If we’re talking about guys with potential, he’s head and shoulders above everybody. If used correctly he’s the next Rey Mysterio.

- Interesting you mention him because you and he are almost the last guys to have come from the Indy circuit.

Maybe I’m a little biased. But he’s a wrestling guy. Some people have got into this business in a different way, not that there’s anything wrong with that. The best way to get into the business in 2009 is to do it through the WWE because everything else is dying.
But Evan is a phenomenal athlete – he’s a good looking little kid. What’s not to admire about that guy?

- Did it mean a lot to you that when you were world champion that the man holding the TNA title was Samoa Joe, with the history you two have had?

Me and Joe have talked about this, and I get that question a lot. Joe’s wife actually asked us, we were sitting around at Thanksgiving dinner, and she said: “It’s crazy, did you ever both think you’d be world champions in different companies?”

We both looked at either other and went “Yep!” It may sound egotistical, but we knew we were that good. We were two of the craziest most driven people you’ve ever seen in your entire life. I see something and go after it.

- At Survivor Series 2006, you were teaming with DX and the Hardys. Hunter did his usual mic thing, but handed it over to you and for a minute you were a star above DX, the crowd went crazy. Was that as big a buzz for you as for your fans?

Yeah, but I obviously I think I have a little bit of a behind the scenes twist on it. To me it was like a big middle finger to everybody because I wasn’t supposed to be there, wasn’t supposed to make it. Even from then until now I wasn’t supposed to make it this far.

Some say it’s cocky, but I’m just a confident dude. I’ve always tried to be the best. I’m not saying I am, I’m not saying I’m better than Hunter or the Hardys or Shawn or Samoa Joe or anybody, anywhere, in any company.

I just try to be the best. In the gym, watching tapes, in the ring, out of the ring, some days I have better days than others. But yeah, that day was a bit of a launching pad for me and I remember that very fondly. I just wish they’d done something more with it.

"Do I think WWE is ready for a heel CM Punk? No, I don’t. I don’t see it happening any time soon. But man would that be fun."

-Kh-

Banned
Forkball said:
Here's Samoa Joe wrestling on WWF Jakked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVHYK253vc&feature=related

I love how most of the commentary is about the XFL.

Wow, interesting, thanks for the link. There was another video in the related links of AJ Styles vs The Hurricane in 2002 as well.

Although I would like to see Joe and AJ in the WWE at the top level, I'd rather have them work the young or new guys they have instead of bringing big names from the competition.

My point is, work with MVP, the Hardys, Punk, Swagger, Bourne, Morrison, Kofi, R-Truth, Colons, Legacy and so on. So many great talent waiting to get their break.

On the other hand, TNA should revise their title politics. I hated Lockdown so much, besides keeping Sting so long as a champion.. he should be bringing new people up, not holding the title during months.

Lockdown_2009.jpg

It's like if the WWE would have made the Taker/HBK match at WM25 a World Title match. It still stole the show and will be one of the greatest WM ever, but it didn't steal the belts from the young ones (I'm kinda complimenting HHH here calling him young... lol)

daycru

I agree, Magnus is a guy who gets a lot of hate from the internet and I don't get it. He isn't great in the ring or anything but he carries himself well and is a very good talker. Plus he's only 22 so he's practically a baby, could play a big part in the future of TNA if they play their cards right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom