• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s Changing How Its Burgers Are Cooked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Any pics?

Haven't worked at one in years, but just googling "McDonald's frozen patties" and I get this

6.jpg

Which is exactly what they looked like.

and the grill

garland_mwe3w.jpg

daveo42

Banned
McDonald's needs to find something to do well, and do that one thing really fucking well while dropping everything else. They try to cater to so many tastes that nothing they serve is ever that good when compared to other fast food and end up losing out on business.

Toasting buns a little longer and changing how they sear their beef isn't gonna save them.

I thought McDonald's microwaved their burgers. Don't they come pre-cooked from the distributor? I've never seen a grill at a McDonald's.

Wendy's used to toast their buns, then they moved to microwaves because it was cheaper/faster. Not sure if that's changed in recent years, but it was the practice about 15 years ago.

I also didn't know they toasted their buns and though they microwaved them like most fast food joints.

Amory

there's nothing wrong with mcdonalds, it has its purpose. the point is, they have a ton more competition than they ever have before. they're not going to find some magic menu item or new technique that will bring people in droves back to their restaurants.

phanphare

Banned
no, burger king's buns are poisonous

mcdonald's buns are toasted

59451.jpg

of course I'm beaten, with the same pic no less

daveo42

Banned
Burger King burgers are so much better it's not even funny.

Even if they do stack all their meat in a heat drawer, at least they flame cook their burgers. Wendy's is at least cooked to order, but they are cooked on a flat top and can end up being really greasy.

LycanXIII

Is such a thing even possible?

Like, in the case of McDonalds?

I think. I read that they had 2 years of declining sales, but surely this can't really be the beginning of the end.

Not that I care, but that just seems like it would be such a massive thing to occur.

More like they're trying to patching weak spots in the whole, but not the leak itself.

Mokoi

Banned
I miss the double cheeseburger days. Scraping up $1.07 after some recreational activities was the best.

I still get a mcgangbang every so often because I can.

I'm pretty sure McDonald's burgers are all cooked in the morning and then shelved for the rest of the day.
I remember when Wendy's went on a rampant with freshness awareness commercials in Toronto, I was served a burger with meat straight from a warming drawer.

Pepiope

McDonald's needs to find something to do well, and do that one thing really fucking well while dropping everything else. They try to cater to so many tastes that nothing they serve is ever that good when compared to other fast food and end up losing out on business.

Toasting buns a little longer and changing how they sear their beef isn't gonna save them.

Wendy's used to toast their buns, then they moved to microwaves because it was cheaper/faster. Not sure if that's changed in recent years, but it was the practice about 15 years ago.

I also didn't know they toasted their buns and though they microwaved them like most fast food joints.
McDonalds has the best BBQ sauce and the best Nuggets. They should stick to that.

E92 M3

I think Mcdonald's biggest issue is the association it has with garbage food that's bottom of the barrel. They really need to alter that quickly.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Trash grilled better than before is still trash. The problem is that the burger itself is incredibly low quality--easily the worst part of any of their sandwiches.

Changing how you cook a hamburger patty made out of poop won't magically transform it into anything other than poop. This isn't fucking alchemy here McDonald's.

I thought McDonald's microwaved their burgers. Don't they come pre-cooked from the distributor? I've never seen a grill at a McDonald's.

Gotta find ways to hide their cheap tasting burgers that are far too expensive.

Every McDonald's thread, without fail. "Oh it won't make a difference, their food's still shit".

Can we stop going on about how you think it's shitty food? Some of us actually enjoy a McDonalds once in a while, even with the knowledge that it's not a healthy option or as "gourmet" as a Five Guys or similar.

KrellRell

Every McDonald's thread, without fail. "Oh it won't make a difference, their food's still shit".

Can we stop going on about how you think it's shitty food? Some of us actually enjoy a McDonalds once in a while, even with the knowledge that it's not a healthy option or as "gourmet" as a Five Guys or similar.

The hate is driven by ignorance. If we did blind taste tests people would realize they don't know wtf they are talking about.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I think Mcdonald's biggest issue is the association it has with garbage food that's bottom of the barrel. They really need to alter that quickly.

That's because they are bottom of the barrel, such shitty food it's unbelievable people pay money for it.

I know it sounds harsh but any other fast food joint is better. McDonald's is the shit tier king and still inexplicably expensive.

And to people that think it's hate, no no it's not, their food quality has declined tremendously or everyone else is doing a much better job. Nothing satisfies me from McDonald's anymore, I was a Big Mac, nuggets and fries guy. All have zero draw on me now.

The hate is driven by ignorance. If we did blind taste tests people would realize they don't know wtf they are talking about.

You know what? That's not a bad idea...

That's because they are bottom of the barrel, such shitty food it's unbelievable people pay money for it.

I know it sounds harsh but any other fast food joint is better. McDonald's is the shit tier king and still inexplicably expensive.

When you live in NYC, everything is gourmet compared to McDoanld's. Other people's options are limited.

The Hermit

The problem is that the alternative is much better and with little difference at the price.

I used to love Mcdonalds but now every time I want a burguer I can always chose either a better tasting or healthier meal.

That being said I don't agree with this changes, it might even accelerate its decline.

komplanen

You want all of us to stop posting our opinions just because you don't agree with us?

The burgers are too thin for a start, also why do they never look like they do on the menu?

I have taken mine back before & said "i want one like that" pointing at the menu above them, & they have given me a replacement burger, that is slightly better looking.

IePxVam.gif

You know they spit in your burger, right?

Javaman

I think it's funny that they probably have boardrooms full of people that get paid to sit around trying to think this stupid stuff up.

daniels

Well at least they are trying different things if the usual stuff doesn't work, cant say that about every company.

Arkeband

Banned
I always preferred double quarter pounders to big macs. Ketchup is vital to hamburgers.

Which is why Whoppers with ketchup and mayo are the shit, even though after eating one you'll find yourself wanting to take a nap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit partial to a Big Mac every now and then, but every time I eat one the main thing that bothers me the most is the meat--it's always this thin dry textured thing that's quite obviously very low quality. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it tastes cheap, but the meat is by far the absolute worst.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I think it's funny that they probably have boardrooms full of people that get paid to sit around trying to think this stupid stuff up.

It's a billion dollar corporation of course they have to do it. They aren't laughing, trust me lol..

JZA

They're trying to see how far they can cut costs before shaking up their supplier relationships to get better product.

I think all of these changes that McDonald's and Taco Bell and Pizza Hut are making are really missing the point. People are changing in the way they consume and appreciate food. The type of people that don't eat at McDonald's now do it out of principle, and I don't think there's anything you could do to change that.

I think it's a little overblown, during the recession McDonald's was killing it with the dollar menu and I think they saw some record profits, I don't think it was possible to sustain the way they were, they just capitalized on a bad economy. They raised prices since then and it costs just as much or sometimes cheaper to get a meal at Chipotle, which is a much better alternative.

Doesn't McDonald's own Chipotle though?

Pennywise

You would, if you would only sample the meat.

It's just pretty dry with the current process they're using to "grill" the meat.
The quality and the seasoning are just off...
And it doesn't even matter that much, if you got one of the smaller hamburger patties or one of the thicker patties.

I feel about as much sympathy as I can for a massive mega-corporation, it's a tough spot to be in to be sure. They can't change too much or they lose a percentage the loyalists who are keeping them afloat currently, but they need to find a way to attract new regulars to grow the business all the while maintaining what I can only assume are paper thin margins.

I do not envy the people whose career is depending on righting this ship.

E92 M3

And to people that think it's hate, no no it's not, their food quality has declined tremendously or everyone else is doing a much better job. Nothing satisfies me from McDonald's anymore, I was a Big Mac, nuggets and fries guy. All have zero draw on me now.

That's true, but their breakfast isn't too bad. Haven't had it in years, but remember it being rather yummy. Overall, it would be shocking for someone to choose mcdonlads over chik fil a.

When I worked there we would microwave the sandwich after everything was cooked and assembled. I guess to kill any bacteria from the food sitting around and to warm up the bun and melt the cheese. So this really might mean "leave in the microwave longer."

I have no idea how they are going to change the way they cook the meat; I would think they would need to change the clamshells or make an accessory to use on them.

ReAxion

They took all the fat out of their meat during the fat-free craze. It's still the problem. Frozen lean beef is dry and bland.

XNarte

I feel about as much sympathy as I can for a massive mega-corporation, it's a tough spot to be in to be sure. They can't change too much or they lose a percentage the loyalists who are keeping them afloat currently, but they need to find a way to attract new regulars to grow the business all the while maintaining what I can only assume are paper thin margins.

I do not envy the people whose career is depending on righting this ship.

Believe me, you don't know the half of it.

daveo42

Banned
McDonalds has the best BBQ sauce and the best Nuggets. They should stick to that.

Can't say anything about the sauce, but Chick fil a completely destroys McDonald nuggets. I actually think they have some of the worst nuggets, but that's because I feel like they have the consistency of a very weak sponge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom