• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonalds Brings Back Szechuan Dipping Sauce on October 7th, One Day Only

Hey if any US gaffers wanna make some money, Legit go buy aforementioned sauce from Asian grocery store and sell it on eBay, don't mention anything about rick and Morty white people still gonna pay top dollar

If you're a bit morally grey, just grift some dumbasses and make a case and special bottle that looks like the one instore, not like these people can tell the difference

I'm hoping to hear about people's easy paydays soon

Makai

If Rick told people to jump in a silly episode ending rant would people in real life ask how high. This seems really stupid.
On the primetime rant mindcontrol scale, going to McDonalds to get some free sauce ranks pretty low.

$600 or 3 hours in line good?
I had fun in line and the sauce was unique. I'm gonna get some real Sichuan sauce to compare, but that's probably like 100x spicier.

as8bPuG.gif

cLOUDo

I had no idea of the existence of this sauce (except for rick and morty of course).

What's the deal?
At least is a good sauce or all this is for the lulz?

Not

Banned
Next season Rick and Morty could crank the progressivism up to 6000 and as long as no women wrote any episodes it would still fly right over the head of 55% of its dumbass fans

Snaku

Banned
Little screaming white boys getting their way again

MERKA

This was always the intended result. That tweet was probably finalized and approved weeks ago. Yesterday was a social media publicity stunt to get the ball rolling on the full roll out in a month or two.

LaNaranja

This is hilarious. This was always going to happen anyways. Do an exclusive "get it for one day only!!!" event to get the hype going then just release it later.
As if that weren’t always the fucking plan, lol

A terrible plan, but the plan nonetheless.

I mean, it seemed super obvious from the beginning that this would happen. That some super intelligent Rick and Morty fans were too stupid to see the writing on the wall is kinda sad. They were played like damn fiddles because McDonalds knew that no matter how upset these people got at this news, they will still come back anyway to eat their meme sauce.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bringing it back again in the winter is a nice gesture, but no one's gonna care anymore. This wasn't even a Rick and Morty promotion, but the fans still treated it like one. The moment is passed.

But sure, bring it back and make it a semi-permanent installation as just another sauce you can get with BBQ and Sweet and Sour. Just don't expect the same hype.

Plus, even if you do, it's not going to suddenly make those packets on eBay worth less. Those will still be known as the "limited first run versions".

They should have actually worked with Rick and Morty to do it right instead of just riding the hype train and falling off the tracks well before the station.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
In the asian store and there’s a billion varieties of sauces here and I don’t think I’m gonna find it. No way do I ask a clerk whete the McNugget sauce is.

Oh shit I found it

Why the fuck not?

Oh ok you found it lol, so weird

Those people who are buying the sauce must be ready for a meltdown.

Nah, the szechuan sauce that was released on Saturday had an expiration date of November 2017. When it comes back this winter, the expiration will be later than that. The batch they released on Saturday can be considered "First edition"

Zubz

Banned
Little screaming white boys getting their way again

MERKA

They were being played into this exact hand the entire time. The supply was densely limited so people would know the sauce was out there, but they either A.) would be out within the 1st 20 customers, or B.) wouldn't even have sauce at the location. The fact that Rick & Morty S3 ended last week, & that this event is, on paper, for the posters so 90% of the McDonald's listed were always going to be Szechuan-free despite the website not being clear on that, were also calculated.

Short term? Free advertising from news reports covering this, & sales from people who went out of their way for McDonald's & decided to get some anyway. Long term? People will want it when it's widely available. This is the same thing Pepsi did with Crystal Pepsi, & the same thing Nintendo did with Amiibo & the Wii, & is still doing with the (S)NES Classic. Hell, McDonald's themselves perfected this formula with the McRib!

As angry as these little screaming white boys are now they'll want to get the sauce as frequently as possible when it's an official menu item, rather than getting it once "for the meme" then being apathetic. And McDonald's knows this.

Biske

I hope a bunch of assholes bought the sauce from scalpers and are feeling like fucking idiots right now.

This scalper culture and the support of it and the willingness to leap right into it, I hope people got burned.

Qvoth

as a chinese, if i hear szechuan sauce what comes to my mind is those spicy hotpot base ingredient sauce, those are very spicy so if you randomly goes into an asian minimarket thinking of buying something similar to this mcdonalds one i wouldn't recommend it

Not

Banned
Oh yeah, knowing the history of how well privileged people boycott things, I doubt McDonalds has anything to worry about lol

Oh yeah, knowing the history of how well privileged people boycott things, I doubt McDonalds has anything to worry about lol

Its like that southpark episode where the town swore on boycotting wal-mart...but they didn't have the willpower to go through with it

Top Bottom