• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's Japan to launch Giga Big Mac with four slightly larger beef patties

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/04/04/mcdonald-rolls-out-giga-big-mac-with-four-beef-patties/

EDIT: To clarify since everyone seems to be bringing it up, the difference between this and the double Big Mac that has been often offered elsewhere for some time now is the beef patty size, which is slightly larger than the standard patty they typically use for Big Macs. Hence why they're also offering the "Grand Big Mac" which just has 2 of these patties.

McDonald’s Japan is about to supersize one of its most popular burgers.

The Giga Big Mac has four beef patties instead of the regular two on the Big Mac--and has 2.8 times more meat.

Like the U.S. version, Japan’s Big Mac is also layered with cheese, lettuce, onion, pickles, a special mayonnaise-based sauce, mustard and sweet relish

McDonald’s says the new sandwich is a great choice for diners seeking “a satisfied sense of accomplishment,” reports Japan’s RocketNews24.

Of course, a giant sandwich calls for equally monstrous sides. McDonald’s will also be rolling out “grand-size” soft drinks and French fries, both of which are larger than the largest sizes currently offered at the chain.

f you don't think your mouth will open wide enough to fit a Giga burger, McDonald's is also rolling out a less dramatic looking Grand Big Mac that has two extra-large beef patties.

The Giga Big Mac goes on sale April 6 and will be available for a limited time through the end of the month.

L2DHECQ.png
BObvjA0.png

EDIT:
This is not the usual double Big Mac (Mega Mac in Japan). This is launching alongside the Grand Big Mac, which has larger patties than the standard size. The Giga is a double Grand.

grandbigmac_main.jpg

kswiston

This has existed in Canada for well over a decade.

EDIT: Unless each burger is larger or something. Regular double big macs have existed forever.

Chris R

EDIT: Unless each burger is larger or something. Regular double big macs have existed forever.

Same here in Alaska. Only difference is they use the 1/4lb patties for the "Denali Mac"

last time I went to a McDonalds in Japan, I got a large fry and drink to go with my sandwich, and it was basically a medium in US sizes. I expect the "grand-size" to be the same as a US Large.

Never been a fan of the big mac, though. If I want that much meat on a burger at mcd's, I'll get a Double QP&C.

XiaNaphryz

The patties are supposed to be slightly larger, yes. Hence the 2.8x more beef number. So it's not just a double Big Mac.

kswiston

I've had a double Big Mac in the US. Maybe it was just a regional thing but I recall having it.

I audibly gasped when I saw the sign advertising it.

Double quarter pounders and double big macs have been regular McDonalds items in Canada (or at least Ontario) for a long time.

gamz

last time I went to a McDonalds in Japan, I got a large fry and drink to go with my sandwich, and it was basically a medium in US sizes. I expect the "grand-size" to be the same as a US Large.

Never been a fan of the big mac, though. If I want that much meat on a burger at mcd's, I'll get a Double QP&C.

You mean Royal with Cheese.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nice. I love the Big Mac.

I mean it makes me feel like shit almost immediately afterwards but I am in heaven while im eating it.

Yoshi88

I already ate several of those in Asakusa/ Tokyo last year in September (good value for getting full fast if you're in a hurry and low on money in the night) so is this a recurring kind of offer?

kswiston

Right, but I meant the US. Specifically Ohio.

It's sort of surprising that the double sandwiches aren't standard in the US as well. Maybe they are too expensive to be popular (given that fast food is still relatively cheap there)?

XiaNaphryz

I already ate several of those in Asakusa/ Tokyo last year in September (good value for getting full fast if you're in a hurry and low on money in the night) so is this a recurring kind of offer?

They've had double Big Macs before, but with the regular sized patties.

Tansut

It's sort of surprising that the double sandwiches aren't standard in the US as well. Maybe they are too expensive to be popular (given that fast food is still relatively cheap there)?
Maybe. This was back during what I consider McD's heyday. A Big N' Tasty was only a buck. What a time it was to be alive to slowly kill yourself.

XiaNaphryz

Hmmm, but it was explicitly called "Giga Mac". Or is the name used across different sizes of 4-patties burgers?

Just going by the article - maybe you were in a test location and this is getting a wider launch?

That's overkill

It has? That's news to me.

Then again, I've never eaten a Whopper or Big Mac, or a Baconator. I'm weird, and just get 100% plain chicken burgers.

I like hamburgers, but only eat them at home or at barbeques. Plain or with Diana Sauce.

Like the U.S. version, Japan’s Big Mac is also layered with cheese, lettuce, onion, pickles, a special mayonnaise-based sauce, mustard and sweet relish
This wasn't part of the deal, McDonalds! THIS WASN'T PART OF THE DEAL!

Had a Big Mac last week and hated myself for an entire day afterwards. I can't even fathom eating a Double Big Mac again (the last one I had was many years ago), let alone eating a "Giga" Big Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom