• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's to offer bottles of Big Mac sauce in the US for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
last month i ordered a double quarter pounder (the superior sandwich) and i got home and they gave me a big mac instead

that sauce tastes like sweet vomit but i guess if that's your thing

daveo42

Banned
0004100000695-500x500.jpg

Exactly. Took them long enough to release it too.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but why does this have so many added ingredients when the UK in store listing has the following:

Big Mac Sauce

Water, Rapeseed Oil, Spirit Vinegar, Gherkin, Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Free Range EGG Yolk, Spices (contain MUSTARD), Salt,
Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Thickener (Xanthan Gum), Natural Flavourings, Firming Agent (Calcium Chloride), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).

The bottling process etc.?

Maybe I'm just being dense, but why does this have so many added ingredients when the UK in store listing has the following:

Big Mac Sauce

Water, Rapeseed Oil, Spirit Vinegar, Gherkin, Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Free Range EGG Yolk, Spices (contain MUSTARD), Salt,
Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Thickener (Xanthan Gum), Natural Flavourings, Firming Agent (Calcium Chloride), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).

The bottling process etc.?

Most likely because of the different laws the UK has for food. At least I think that's why. I could be wrong.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Only 10,000 bottles? That seems low. I bet you a McNugget that these will go for a decent amount on ebay once all the stores sell out.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
No, HFCS contains sugar.

I know it does, is the sugar in HFCS counted as sugar on nutritional facts?

When you see 30 grams of sugar in a can of Mountain Dew that's includes the sugar from the HFCS or is that not included in the total?

When you see 30 grams of sugar in a can of Mountain Dew that's includes the sugar from the HFCS or is that not included in the total?

Hmmm this could be tested with Mtn Dew actually. Get a 12 oz can of Mtn dew and check the sugar content. Then get a 12oz can of Dewshine ( its just mtn dew with real sugar in liu of HFCS and no yellow food coloring) and compare the nutrition facts

Of course it is. And even if it wasn't, it'd still need to be listed under carbs

Ceej

Damn. I still can't figure out how to make it at home with this label.

I'm a chemist and if I weren't broke af I would almost want to try this as a challenge. Knowing the volume of the serving size and that ingredients are listed in order of quantity... A lot of that stuff (EDTA, calcium chloride) is really easily obtainable. I lol'd at the listing of acetic acid and then later distilled vinegar (basically the same thing, probably they just used the solid form for the first, gee)

How is the sugar 0g? Corn syrup is listed twice.

As mentioned in this topic a few times, the amount is less than 1g so they can show it as 0g. That being said, if you look at the carb total, you'll notice the 1g is there since it cannot be hidden completely.

ColdPizza

Banned
So is there a youtube clip showing how to make my own Big Mac sauce?

Probably. An article would be better.

Serious Eats is your friend.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/05/the-burger-lab-building-a-better-big-mac.html

The Big Mac sauce has been a closely guarded secret recipe for many years. At least, that's what many on the internet will have you believe. And if you are to believe those same people, then cloning Big Mac Sauce is as simple as combining Mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip!) with ketchup, pickle relish, and a few other flavorings, making the sauce essentially a Thousand Island-type spread.

Problem is, even a cursory bit of research on the Mcdonald's website reveals that the sauce is actually nothing of the sort. Rather, it is a mayonnaise-based sauce with no ketchup or tomato to speak of consisting of:

Soybean oil, pickle relish [diced pickles, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, vinegar, corn syrup, salt, calcium chloride, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate (preservative), spice extractives, polysorbate 80], distilled vinegar, water, egg yolks, high fructose corn syrup, onion powder, mustard seed, salt, spices, propylene glycol alginate, sodium benzoate (preservative), mustard bran, sugar, garlic powder, vegetable protein (hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat), caramel color, extractives of paprika, soy lecithin, turmeric (color), calcium disodium EDTA (protect flavor).

It's a frightening-looking list, but it's not really as bad as it seems. Calcium chloride is used to keep pickles crunchy (you'll find it in your canned tomatoes), xanthan gum and propylene glycol alginate are both thickeners derived from corn and kelp, respectively. Potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate are preservatives (we'll do without them), while disodium EDTA prevents metallic ions from reacting and affecting flavor during long-term storage (we also won't be needing that).

Essentially, it's a mix of mayonnaise, relish, and mustard

When you look at what's left, you've basically got soybean oil, pickle relish, vinegar, egg yolks, sugars (including HFCS), onion, mustard, vegetable protein, colorings, and emulsifiers. Essentially, it's a mix of mayonnaise, relish, and mustard with sugar, onion, turmeric colorings, and a bit of hydrolyzed vegetable protein thrown in. It's this last bit that might throw you for a bit of a loop.

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein is made by breaking down proteins into their constituent amino acids, resulting in a product with a distinctly savory flavor. Indeed, it's very similar to bottled yeast extracts (which are made by autolyzing yeast) such as Marmite, Vegemite, or Maggi seasoning. Any of those will do.

For the onions, rather than using powdered or dehydrated onions, I found that I got better flavor out of simply grating fresh onion on a Microplane grater. Combining this with the remaining elements and fiddling with the ratios got me a sauce that taste-wise was almost identical to the Mac sauce, though it lacked the characteristic pinkish hue, no doubt from the caramel color. No worries—I could live with yellowish sauce.

rhino4evr

This would have been way bigger a deal in the mid 80s when McDonalds was in its marketing prime. Now it just feels desperate. I don't hate the sauce, but it's not nearly as good as some of the fast food sauces that have been developed in the past decade. In fact something about it seems extremely retro and overall simple.

That new siracha sauce at Wendy's , the volcano sauce at Taco Bell, or that godly curry mustard at polo tropical come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom