• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

Sandfox

If it's Holiday 2017, then a Gen 8 wouldn't be out of the question (assuming that they're working on Gen 8 right now alongside Gen 7). This would allow for the Diamond/Pearl remakes to be released around Holiday 2018.
Expecting a new gen next year isn't realistic at all.
Also consider that Alola isn't structured like the average Pokémon region (I.E. No gym leaders), so Ash could get through the 4 Island Trails in a season depending on how well they pace the episodes.

Pokémon would be the big surprise, considering that Sun/Moon are coming out this November.

There's going to be more than 4 trials.

brinstar

I'd be very surprised but also very happy to see a new Pokemon RPG on the NX so soon. I'm ready to move on from the 3DS.

I was wondering-MVC is saying the same thing as Eurogamer that the NX connects to the tv to play games. They don't say anything about the NX using a dock to boost its power though. Does that mean this really is just the next gen handheld and it's high powered, but can plug into a tv to play them there?

What I'm getting at is this is really kind of the next generation handheld and not really the next gen console, which would still be to come.

This is probably Mario Maker, right?

Bruh, it literally says in the article it's a new Mario game. We haven't had a 3D Mario game in 3 years. This would definitely be the 3D Mario game.

ZeroX03

Banned
If it's Holiday 2017, then a Gen 8 wouldn't be out of the question (assuming that they're working on Gen 8 right now alongside Gen 7). This would allow for the Diamond/Pearl remakes to be released around Holiday 2018.

Can't see Gen 7 being a year only.

Third/sequel version is the easiest way to get a title out in a year for NX.

Zalman

I was wondering-MVC is saying the same thing as Eurogamer that the NX connects to the tv to play games. They don't say anything about the NX using a dock to boost its power though. Does that mean this really is just the next gen handheld and it's high powered, but can plug into a tv to play them there?

What I'm getting at is this is really kind of the next generation handheld and not really the next gen console, which would still be to come.
This is supposed to be both. There won't be a traditional next-gen console from Nintendo. The point of the NX is to focus all their development resources into one platform and strengthen their software output.

I think you're probably just living in denial. And Eurogamer never said anything about the dock boosting NX's power.

New Mario this soon?
It's a bit hard to believe, or it's going to re-use assets like 3D World.

When NX launches, 3D World will be three and a half years old.

jdstorm

Banned

As far as we know. Yes it's just a really powerful handheld. But the NX will be considerably more powerful then the WiiU. So it's definitely a next gen leap worth getting behind even if you don't want the portability

I was expecting Pokken Tournament to come to NX, but that's not from GameFreak is it?

I'm not expecting a Sun/Moon HD version or something, although it would be cool.

Neoxon

Can't see Gen 7 being a year only.

Third/sequel version is the easiest way to get a title out in a year for NX.
They aren't gonna leave the 3DS in the dust right in the middle of the generation. If Nintendo & Game Freak found a way to get cross-system play between the 3DS & the NX for both local trading & online, awesome. But I'm not expecting anything Gen 7 to be NX-only. At most, it'll be a cross-gen release.

I think you're probably just living in denial. And Eurogamer never said anything about the dock boosting NX's power.

When NX launches, 3D World will be three and a half years old.
I know Eurogamer didn't say that. That's my point. Many gamers on the Internet came up with "what if this dock powers the NX to give it a boost of power so it can be on power with PS4 to be a true console experience!". Going by this they're saying what Eurogamer said and it's just a powerful handheld that plugs into the tv.

Polari

Pokémon would be interesting- I wonder if we're talking a Sun/Moon port, a quick third version, or if they're just going to bite the bullet and put out the 1st Gen remakes that are definitely happening at some point.

A Red/Blue remake cashing in on the Pokemon Go hype would kill it at this point. Plus it's the sort of thing they could farm out to another developer.

I hope they put a few of the better Wii U games on there as well, seeing most people (including myself) skipped it.

jdstorm

Banned
It would be a solid launch with a new Zelda, new Mario and new Pokemon.

More will be great tho.

Mario is likely going to be a 3D Mario and Target Holiday 2017 (aka roughly 6 Months after release) Pokemon will probably come mid year

Neoxon

A Red/Blue remake cashing in on the Pokemon Go hype would kill it at this point. Plus it's the sort of thing they could farm out to another developer.

I hope they put a few of the better Wii U games on there as well, seeing most people (including myself) skipped it.
As I've said in other threads, the Pokémon GO hype would be long since dead by the time the NX comes out, so there's really no point. Not to mention that Game Freak has done more than enough Gen 1 pandering with X/Y.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I've heard the claim that Nintendo supposedly avoided releasing anything major for the Wii U at launch to let 3rd parties have the spotlight.

If that's true, it backfired massively. People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. If those games aren't there, people don't buy the console, and therefore won't buy any third party games that happen to also be there. And that's exactly what happened with Wii U. Pikmin 3 getting delayed almost a year past launch really hurt perception of the console.

I've never ever heard of a developer who actually said "Nintendo's quality scares me and makes my games look like crap, So I won't bother with their platforms." It seems like a made-up bogeyman to me.

There is something between dropping every big first party title on Day 1 or just relying on 3rdPartys. Nothing at the 3DS or WiiU launch was as big as Zelda BotW will be. Thats one big ass launch games, which will be released along side 3 very goof looking Amiibo. Then we likely have Smash Bros. GotY Edition - which likely will also launch with new high quality Amiibos (Cloud, Bayonetta). The system will likely also have its new casual game at launch ala WiiSports/Nintendo Land to sell the system and its capabilities.

Thats without the rumored Splatoon and Mario Maker Maker Ports or games like Pikmin 4 hitting near launch. This isnt about developers being scared of Nintendo - just common sense...customers have limited resources and if Nintendo makes it impossible for them to make at least some money at launch, they wont even show up.

Nintendo will have talks with 3rdPartys and make sure they will have an optimized launch schedule - after the launch their goal will probably be to release at 1-2 first party every month to keep the momentum going until the Holiday season.

I know Eurogamer didn't say that. That's my point. Many gamers on the Internet came up with "what if this dock powers the NX to give it a boost of power so it can be on power with PS4 to be a true console experience!". Going by this they're saying what Eurogamer said and it's just a powerful handheld that plugs into the tv.

Well, that's pretty much what this is, but it's going to be marketed as both a home console and portable device in one.

This doesn't mean a new, high powered system is also coming.

Neoxon

There is something between dropping every big first party title on Day 1 or just relying on 3rdPartys. Nothing at the 3DS or WiiU launch was as big as Zelda BotW will be. Thats one big ass launch games, which will be released along side 3 very goof looking Amiibo. Then we likely have Smash Bros. GotY Edition - which likely will also launch with new high quality Amiibos (Cloud, Bayonetta). The system will likely also have its new casual game at launch ala WiiSports/Nintendo Land to sell the system and its capabilities.

Thats without the rumored Splatoon and Mario Maker Maker Ports or games like Pikmin 4 hitting near launch.

Nintendo will have talks with 3rdPartys and make sure they will have an optimized launch schedule - after the launch their goal will probably be to release at 1-2 first party every month to keep the momentum going until the Holiday season.
Supposedly the Splatoon & Super Mario Maker ports may not be happening due to issues involving Wii U online interaction. The fact that Splatfest were cut off would kinda lend towards this rumor.

Well, that's pretty much what this is, but it's going to be marketed as both a console and portable device in one.

This doesn't mean a new, high powered console is also coming.
Well. That's bad news for Nintendo. I'm excited for it, but I feel like PS4/X1 gamers won't be excited for it- like they claimed in the MVC article they're aiming for.

zoukka

Not getting enough of that from Sun & Moon?

It will be a cool game, but come on. Pokemon innovations are only innovative inside the pokemon bubble. If you mention the "innovations" to anyone who isn't a poke-freak they will laugh their asses off.

Well. That's bad news for Nintendo. I'm excited for it, but I feel like PS4/X1 gamers won't be like they claimed in the MVC article they're aiming for.

Did you even read the article? It specifically says they're not aiming for that market directly.

Nintendo is never winning over the average PS4 / XB1 user and they shouldn't try. Their demographics are families and enthusiasts. Maybe they can nab some lapsed gamers as well.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Supposedly the Splatoon & Super Mario Maker ports may not be happening due to issues involving Wii U online interaction. The fact that Splatfest were cut off would kinda lend towards this rumor.
That's fine. Full fledged sequels to both of these games probably isn't too far away anyway. I expect both Splatoon 2 and Mario Maker 2 to be 2018 games. Certainly Splatoon 2 at least.

Chase17

I'm going to go with G/S/C VC. I can't see a mainline game that soon after sun and moon.

Most likely a spin off game though even if it mentions GF.

I'm hoping for detective Pikachu if so.

Did you even read the article? It specifically says they're not aiming for that market directly.

Nintendo is never winning over the average PS4 / XB1 user and they shouldn't try. Their demographics are families and enthusiasts.
Yes, I can read and comprehend. It said both which means they're still targeting that audience. And that audience wants third party games and high graphics.

look321

Neo Member
God I can't wait to see what they'll come up with.

Mario and Zelda used to be equal for me, but it's amazing how over the last decade the Zelda franchise has dropped in quality so much while the Mario games are insanely consistent.

I am excited for Breath of the Wild though.

I am sorry but I really have to disagree.
Zelda games in the last decade have made me even more of a fan.

To me, Mario and Zelda have always been really consistent.

KingBroly

Banned
Pokemon Sun
Pokemon Moon
Pokemon Earth (Go)
Pokemon Mars (That'd be cool)

Extra Super Mario Bros.

I'm locking in the picks.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I dont expect them to happen anyway...my main point was that Nintendo has to be smart about what they release at launch, because they seem to have saved up quite some content for 2017.

Top Bottom