• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[MCV] Nioh a 'triumphant return' for Koei Tecmo as it eyes the western market

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nioh...i-tecmo-as-it-eyes-the-western-market/0180503

Nioh’s success was never set in stone. The title’s chaotic development started back in 2004, but it only hit shelves this February. An even bigger surprise was director Fumihiko Yasuda’s assertion that the concept of the game had “remained the same throughout development.”
So how could a game whose life began 13 years ago still be relevant to the 2017 market?

Well, it appears that players of today do, indeed, want to play the same games as players back in 2004 (with better graphics, naturally), because Nioh has just surpassed 1m units worldwide - a feat it’s managed to achieve in little more than a month.

“Nioh has been particularly challenging, as it’s a brand new IP we’ve been working on for years,” Koei Tecmo’s general manager Yasutomo Watanabe tells MCV.

“It utilised all the resources of our company. We received unequivocal support from our western publisher, Sony Interactive Entertainment, and Nioh is performing very well so far so we are very happy with it.”

Watanabe also tells us that Nioh is Koei Tecmo’s “most successful title in the west.”

He adds: “This position essentially validates our strategy to expand our brand and user-base in the long term and proves that our titles can reach the highest spots in the charts. With overall positive player feedback and media reception we are very pleased by this result and hope to repeat it in the near future.”

Reconfirmed no Ninja Gaiden for awhile.

Watanabe wouldn’t be drawn, however: “We know a lot of our fans in the world have been waiting for the next Ninja Gaiden and it is one of the most important projects for us as well,” he says. “At the moment, we are not in a position to announce anything, but we are hoping to share good news with you once we are ready.”

Appealing to the west

So what is Koei Tecmo’s strategy to appeal to western players then?

“One of the most important things is to conduct solid market research to identify global and regional trends that can be incorporated in our own development engines,” Watanabe says. “We would also like to pursue partnerships with established brands or IPs to appeal to a wider audience and to grow our brands further.”

He continues: “Personally I’m happy to see a lot of Japanese games hit the charts in the west, however there’s no border for entertainment and most people don’t care where a game comes from; they only care if it’s fun."

Japanese market

With Koei Tecmo’s native market narrowing down, though, looking west seems to be a natural, next step for the publisher: “The Japanese market is very strong so far as mobile games are concerned. However with the console games market there are some issues and currently it’s not the key territory for console game sales,” Watanabe concludes. “Simultaneously, the western and Asian regions have been growing in importance and so our focus is gradually shifting towards them.”

joe2187

Banned
im fine without ninja gaiden for a while if it means they give more support for Nioh.

I platinumed it too damn fast. But i still want to keep playing more.

Kudo

One of the game of the gens so far, so happy for their success, can't wait for DLC and hopefully they have plans for the franchise in future too, or some other interesting IPs coming up.

About DOAX3 that I overlooked

Releasing games in the west hasn’t always been this easy for Koei Tecmo, though. Back in 2015, the publisher was caught up in some controversies regarding the representation of women in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3.

“We always try to develop and release our games with the utmost consideration of each territory’s culture,” Watanabe prudently answers when asked if Koei Tecmo keeps this issue in mind when it releases a game in the west.

“This is the main reason we did not release Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 in the western regions, as we felt it didn’t represent the values of the west and so would not appeal to western players.”

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
so.... Dead or alive Xtreme 3 when? Don't pretend there isn't a market for it here.

edit: lol at the response above. you guys are leaving money on the table

Rymuth

Very welcome news to Team Ninja after Ninja Gaiden 3, I'm sure. Didn't a fan break the disc and ship it to them because he was so pissed?

so.... Dead or alive Xtreme 3 when? Don't pretend there isn't a market for it here.

edit: lol at the response above. you guys are leaving money on the table

Nah. The PR hit alone would be enough to make it unworthy, they just need to stop being assholes and update the asian version (the multi-language one) with VR and etc.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Nah. The PR hit alone would be enough to make it unworthy, they just need to stop being assholes and update the asian version (the multi-language one) with VR and etc.

PR hit? They've released DOA xtreme 1, 2, and the psp port here. Not to mention the constant stream of DOA 5 costumes they keep putting on all storefronts. I don't think they're telling the truth.

PR hit? They've released DOA xtreme 1, 2, and the psp port here. Not to mention the constant stream of DOA 5 costumes they keep putting on all storefronts. I don't think they're telling the truth.

Times have changed.

Sure, they might be just flat-out lying, but I wouldn't doubt if they were actually telling the truth. I know I wouldn't want to be in charge (PR, marketing) of bringing that game here, and I actualy own the asian version.

knitoe

With FROM not releasing "Souls" games in the near future, it's time for some major studios to get on the "soul" train and satisfy people's yearly itch. Nioh does and I hope more will follow.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Times have changed.

Sure, they might be just flat-out lying, but I wouldn't doubt if they were actually telling the truth. I know I wouldn't want to be in charge (PR, marketing) of bringing that game here, and I actualy own the asian version.

I'm failing to see the reasoning. With games like Senran Kagura, valkyrie drive, and gal gun getting localized with little fanfare, there's absolutely no excuse. They already went through the trouble of translating the game into english, but they can't justify bringing it over. Meanwhile, they're going to shove monthly smutty costumes at us and lecture us about our values. Yeah right.

With FROM not releasing "Souls" games in the near future, it's time for some major studios to get on the "soul" train and satisfy people's yearly itch. Nioh does and I hope more will follow.

The good thing about Nioh's design is that it's better suited for constant updates.

Every month they can patch in new contents so there's always something to look forward to.

Eh, let's see what E3 brings. I reckon they're going to have either a Bloodborne sequel or another Soulslike there for Sony. That being said, Nioh did a great job capitalising on a thirsty audience looking for similar yet distinct high quality experiences. I really hope Nioh 2 happens because it'd be a big hit. They should at the very least go for a simultaneous release on PS4 + PC.

Game is fucking A class and has the best gameplay mechanics out of all the popular 2017 games out there. It would have crushed last year's GotY election on GAF.

Espada

I wouldn't say ruined but going back to souls after experiencing the speed and precision of Nioh was definitely rough.

I'd say going back to Souls after playing Nioh makes the combat in DaS feel really goddamn dated. Before From Software puts out another Dark Souls entry they need to play these other games that have popped up in the subgenre. At the very least to stay competitive.

Anyway, I was overjoyed at the news that sold 200k in about 16 days or so a while back. To hear that this badass game has crossed the $1M is excellent news. Not only does that mean we're likely getting a sequel, it' also a sign to developers that there's a market for these mid-tier games.

I hope by eyeing the western market, that doesn't mean that they'll start making games that tailor to western tastes, or rather what they think we like over here. Many's the time a Japanese dev has failed to realise that the appeal of their games by foreign audiences is precisely because they're so Japanese in flavour and couldn't be made anywhere else.

Anyway, congrats on the success.

Foxxsoxx

I can't wait to pick this game up when I get some cash, one day my love. One day.

Really glad it's doing well for them, I wonder what the budget was.

Saddened by the Ninja Gaiden news -- but I'd rather not have a third poor entry in a row. That franchise just needs to look at what made Black and II good.

Jimrpg

My Koei Tecmo haul in the last 2 months. Granted a number of them are older Vita games, but I like the games they put out. I also love that they supported the Vita well into its life cycle. DOA5 looks great on the handheld. I know people shit on them for their average PC ports, but aside from that the games they bring out are pretty great.

Not pictured Toukiden Kiwami, cause it's in the mail.

5eOLMRr.jpg

As for Nioh, awesome game but now that other big guns have arrived Zelda, Horizon, Persona 5, I can see it being getting less attention. The OT2 already has a lot less posts than the first few weeks.

^ I personally consider the fact that it even got an OT2, probably the first OT2 of the year, is a success.

Only Zelda and Horizon also have a second OT

RalchAC

As for Nioh, awesome game but now that other big guns have arrived Zelda, Horizon, Persona 5, I can see it being getting less attention. The OT2 already has a lot less posts than the first few weeks.

Are they going to do any DLC? A good and meaty piece of DLC + a GOTY edition in a less busy time of the year could put it back on people's radar.

RM8

Good games with good gameplay are more universally appealing than breast simulators after all. Who would have thought? Obviously KT has a niche with the DOA stuff and that's fine, but that's not how you get mainstream success. It's good that they're diversifying now.

Baalzebup

Are they going to do any DLC? A good and meaty piece of DLC + a GOTY edition in a less busy time of the year could put it back on people's radar.
It has a season pass and the first piece of it, the Dragon of the North, is coming next month. Once it hits, everyone will be running around with the inevitable Date Masamune armor & dual swords set.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
So Trump, or any other mod, would you please change my tag back to "member"?

BTW: I never said Nioh would outsell TF2

liezryou

Why no PC releases? I feel like the 'west' is shifting more and more towards pc gaming as 1080p/60fps hardware is getting cheaper by the year.

Usobuko

Banned
Japanese developers are not entirely oblivious of the current entertainment landscape across the world but they choose a much humble approach to do their PR.

David___

Banned
Why no PC releases? I feel like the 'west' is shifting more and more towards pc gaming as 1080p/60fps hardware is getting cheaper by the year.
Probbaly kept the same deal with Sony they had since before the PS3 release, which led to Sony publishing it outside of Japan

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Probbaly kept the same deal with Sony they had since before the PS3 release, which led to Sony publishing it outside of Japan

Seems that little NeoGaf know KOEI well
There're zero chance of global beta and release if they published themselves, they don't have a decent localize team and usually western release is 6-12 month later
I guess that Nioh should be localized by Sony Localization team in Tokyo from the credit roll
Without the global beta, Nioh would be a disaster

I thought that Nioh still has a chance to release on PC/X1/NS/iPad after the exclusive deal/ Koei localization, it's Koei's ip, depends the exclusive deal was FF7 or DQH

Zolo

Times have changed.

It's not worth the trouble for the profits it would get. Plus, I imagine the majority of its profits come from dlc sales which I think is more popular in Asia.

Endo Punk

Nothing to announce regarding Ninja Gaiden doesn't sound like it's not already in development, just means they don't want to announce it yet. My bet we hear the good news by TGS.

What surprised me is that they are very happy with the partnership with Sony, may well continue. What a turnaround compared to Team Ninja 13 years ago.

Intel_89

They delivered in a superb way something that the western market was (and still is) craving for, hopefully they'll build upon the great foundation for future sequels.

laxu

I really hope this means they can make Nioh 2. The first game has great combat but it is flawed in many ways:
  • Poor enemy variety.
  • Recycling of levels (with disregard to region too).
  • Recycling of bosses.
  • Most levels are not very impressive visually (caves, ruins, flat terrain) compared to Dark Souls 3 for example.
  • Rare loot is not exactly rare. Actual rare loot is something that has a stat you want, not the item itself. Just way too much junk to collect.

I really hope this means they can make Nioh 2. The first game has great combat but it is flawed in many ways:
  • Poor enemy variety.
  • Recycling of bosses.
  • Most levels are not very impressive visually (caves, ruins, flat terrain) compared to Dark Souls 3 for example.
  • Rare loot is not exactly rare. Actual rare loot is something that has a stat you want, not the item itself. Just way too much junk to collect.

It doesn't look as good as DaS3 but it honestly does not have visual problems at all in my opinion. Running in 60 fps takes its toll and it completely paid off here. Game looks good enough relative to how well it runs on consoles. I played DaS3 on Steam in 60 fps but all things considered, I find the other problems you mention way worse. Enemy variety basically stopping to advance midway through the game was just weird.

cheesekao

Precision? We played different games apparently. Hitboxes were often not good.
The only case of bad hit boxes I've experienced is with the ogress. Still, when I said precision I was more referring to the general responsiveness of William. Souls has a problem with stacked inputs from my experience.

• Poor enemy variety.
  • Recycling of bosses.

Recycling bosses? Every boss of a main stage is unique. You're probably thinking of the optional side missions but even side missions have some unique bosses.

Dark Souls 3 also have the same problem of castle ruins, swamps and caverns.

deserved. it's a great game at 60fps. it's good to see more devs realize that people crave for challenging games. we got the money and loyalty. gimme that support.

sucks they ducked out of more doa. there was alot of money to be made. they should've released it at least in europe. don't be afraid. they can deal with GTA, they can also deal with a volleyball game.

the next nioh dlc will be interesting. i hope they'll find a way to make it more challenging.

Go_Ly_Dow

Great news, now I feel the should build up on what they built in the sequel.

Return some of that profit made back into the development team so it can be even bigger and better.

Times have changed.

Xtreme3 isn't coming over because Marie. There is no lying going on.

Top Bottom