• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Retail sources talk used Xbox One games, £35 for used game in UK [U2: Eurogamer]

starmud

Kills eBay and Amazon marketplace and selling the game privately.

this is about how i do all my used game selling/trading... so, eh... yeah, not something im cool with.

it will be interesting to see how this effects trade in credit and the price to buy in. less credit received and higher cost im assuming. i'd be surprised if gamestop ate too much of the cut they will lose.

i should be able to deactivate the game on my console myself if i choose to sell it where i please... just seems like a cheap tactic to make gamestop happy with the whole system; trap the consumer into playing with basically one/two retailers.

Alex

When I mess with selling or buying used kit of any sort, it's always done through Amazon, eBay, forums, etc, so this is just as bad as not having the feature, to me. I am never including the hovel that is Gamestop in any of my shopping.

goonergaz

I'm confused why people think this is ok?

Essentially the retailers that offer the service can offer £5 and sell on for £30 and as the seller you have little option.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Didn't MS say they would be addressing this at some point? I vaguely remember someone posting a quote not long after the news about pre-owned titled broke.

Per PH's description, the solution for private sales will be a user-to-user license exchange over the network. The buyer will pay full price. The seller will, I presume, only get Xbox credit and not be able to cash out their cut of the sale.

You won't be able to lend a game without lending your account. That's their solution for 'lending'. Go to your friends house, log in, and let them play while you're present.

No excuse for DRM.

There will be a fee. Microsoft is going to make things lucrative for publishers and themself. This isn't a free service. Otherwise it wouldn't be necessary.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Also, does that mean each game disc now has a unique identifier chip in it somewhere, otherwise how will the retailer know which account the traded in disc comes from? Doesn't work otherwise unless GameStop have a box in the store where people trading in games can log in and mark the games as traded or something. Very cumbersome without a unique identifier chip, also that is technology that would have to be licenced from Sony, who I'm quite sure are not selling a licence for that tech.

Interesting.

Also, the majority of used games I purchase, are from Amazon. High street gameshops in the UK are not nearly strong enough to sacrifice online outlets.

Unconfirmed reports on ConsoleDeals.co.uk suggest that retail’s slice will be as little as ten per cent. That’s a significant cut from what it has become accustomed to from pre-owned sales and more in line with what they would receive from the sale of a new game – hence, the value of the pre-owned market to the retailer is effectively destroyed.

These same unconfirmed reports also suggest that the activation cost for consumers buying or borrowing pre-owned software will be £35.

I can't see how gamestop or game are going to be ok with that haha. Start stacking those wii u pre-owned games up boys

Erasus

Sounds awfully controlling and manipulative. And I'm not sure why Microsoft or the developers deserve the money on a used sale, but it's not as bad as it could have been. I suppose.

Devs have stated that it is a problem. I would MUCH rather have money go to devs (people who MADE the game) than some masive storechain...

IceBreak

Banned
This controversy bothered me the least out of all of it. Devs deserve their money. Games aren't cars. It would have been nice to actually have an answer planned though when someone asks it 10 minutes after your show.

Arjen

So lending/ borrowing games form friends is impossible.
Selling your games trough e-bay or whatever is impossible.
Yeah, fuck you MS

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't see why this system needs prohibition of playing games you have the disc in the consoles disc drive, though.

publishers and microsoft see a cut and exercise even more control and influence over second hand retailers

gamers cant sell games privately, rent them, borrow them to anyone and (i'd imagine) it takes much longer to trade games in to authorised retailers

i'm not really seeing the benefit to gamers here

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Publishers Win

Retailers Win

This is something both sides of the equation can support... what, therefore is the big deal if you can still go to a major retailer and trade in your stuff?

Who cares if it is wiped from your account? You no longer have the fucking game.

With this system, it is impossible to lend your game to someone else or sell it directly to someone else.

Per PH's description, the solution for private sales will be a user-to-user license exchange over the network. The buyer will pay full price. The seller will, I presume, only get Xbox credit and not be able to cash out their cut of the sale.

Ah, okay. That doesn't sound great but at the least the option is there I guess.

longdi

Banned
too much work and restriction for something that used to be much simpler.
how can people support this?

I know this is thinking far ahead, but what happens the future? Right now I can buy games for retro consoles or can build up a nice cheap PS2 collection. How is the software of the future going to be preserved once MS moves on from Xbox One? Not an issue for right now, but how are people going to be able to play games once MS's servers go offline in the future. Some will say this isn't a big deal but I've been playing games for nearly 30 years and I still sometimes get my Megadrive or N64 out of the loft for an afternoon of retro gaming fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm curious to see if they have a rental system set up, or places like redbox/gamefly will have some sort of different way of working with this.

daxgame

To me, it sounds like you won't be able to.

Well that's not good at all.
I've never, ever, sold a game to Gamestop in my country. Their price proposals are laughable. On eBay I sold ZombiU for 45€ w shipping, just to give an example.
If I needed another reason to not buy an Xbone, thank you, Microsoft.

KarmaCow

Devs have stated that it is a problem. I would MUCH rather have money go to devs (people who MADE the game) than some masive storechain...

It's funny that you think developers will get anywhere close to a reasonable cut from this scheme.

skybaby

mom and pop stores? shafted. stores outside us and europe? shafted. user to user trading? shafted. thanks microsoft

Absolute bullshit.

How can a movie, music and book industry survive with ubiquitous pre-owned sales, if gaming can't?

I really fucking hope XBone fails. Hard. Even worse than Vita.

Also, does that mean each game disc now has a unique identifier chip in it somewhere, otherwise how will the retailer know which account the traded in disc comes from? Doesn't work otherwise unless GameStop have a box in the store where people trading in games can log in and mark the games as traded or something. Very cumbersome without a unique identifier chip, also that is technology that would have to be licenced from Sony, who I'm quite sure are not selling a licence for that tech.

RFID?

http://www.rfidlicensing.com/

Pretty sure they could licence it if they wanted to.

I'm also inclined to believe this is true as it explains Amazon's salty article this morning:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564733

"The Xbox One’s disappointing reveal has shot up sales of the Wii U on Amazon.com. The system was at #390 before the conference, but now has shot up to #40 due to Microsoft’s glorified TV box.

This momentum should carry Nintendo right into the summer as they have big plans for the Wii U at E3 and this fall. The console race has just begun but it’s good to see gamers are picking up a system that’s dedicated to gaming first, and multimedia second."

Because this system will effectively kill used Marketplace for Xbone games.

RFID?

http://www.rfidlicensing.com/

Pretty sure they could licence it if they wanted to.

Sony have a very broad patent on including unique identifier chips in game discs. I'm pretty sure MS would have to licence it.

madmackem

It also doesnt say if ms will still want a fee, so in theory it could mean you get less for your trade ins as a fee might need to be paid by either the shop you trade it in at or the person who then buys it off the shop. Ms isnt going to be doing this for free so its a lose lose for the consumer.

So what? Who lends £40 discs to get scratched to fuck anyway?

Seriously? Only having one avenue to sell a game("Take the money we offer you for it or fuck off since you have no alternative") and people not being able to swap/share/sell games between their friends = so what?

C'mon son.

DatDude

Banned
Seems fair.

Publishers Win

Retailers Win

This is something both sides of the equation can support... what, therefore is the big deal if you can still go to a major retailer and trade in your stuff?

Who cares if it is wiped from your account? You no longer have the fucking game.

Makes sense.

Sounds good.

Sounds good, but will places like gamespot just increase the price of used games to cover what they will lose and pass the cost on to us? Also, how will renting work?

This sounds okay actually. Steam should have a system like this..

All it does is prevent loaning games to a friend and I haven't done that in a while.

Is this real life? Honestly, there are people who are actually OKAY/FINE with this? Really? REALLY?

Destroys companies like Gamefly, and Blockbuster, and Redbox for renting games.

Destroys private selling to friends/co-workers/relatives/etc..

Can't lend/borrow game to your friend for a few days anymore.

I mean this is anti-consumerism at it's finest, and some of you are actually "okay" and "fine" with this. Just shaking my head right now in utter disbelief. It'll be because of people like you that drives this industry towards further hell.

Xater

This controversy bothered me the least out of all of it. Devs deserve their money. Games aren't cars. It would have been nice to actually have an answer planned though when someone asks it 10 minutes after your show.

Games are just as any other form of media. They don't have special privileges. If I want to sell a book or a DVD I can and no o e hunks even twice about it being wrong.

Eusis

A smashed N64 cart wasn't the greatest experience either.
To be fair I don't think I'd want to lend anything to someone like that again, not unless I really understood them and the (hopefully freak) circumstances behind that. And admittedly I'd lean towards lending games that at worst I can replace for cheap later (Suikoden II? Uhhh, probably not. RE2? Whoops, I forgot to make sure to get that back before I moved but it's on PSN for $6 and I was a pussy about getting through the game so who cares.)

So you're going to force me online every day to enforce your used game system that makes you more money, still shits on first sale doctrine, and still creates problems for rental services and lending to friends?

Yeah, nah. Fuck you MS.

Withnail

Seems fairly reasonable. I guess the seller will have to tell the retailer their live account name when trading in the game.

Sucks for eBay though.

So what if it's a 'problem'? Design your business better.

I'm not sure why they deserve the money on a copy of a game they already sold.

Top Bottom