• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Retail sources talk used Xbox One games, £35 for used game in UK [U2: Eurogamer]

TheD

The Detective
So it only benefits large chain stores and also forces you to be connected once a day.......

FUCK OFF M$!

Sony likes the Japan and Europe markets they dominate too much to care about what the publishers want. The publishers are more than welcome to publish their $20 million cost AAAA titles on Xbone only and have fun trying to recoup their costs on only one of the two next-gen consoles.

The publisher revenue from this model could be very significant.

Give it a god damn rest. This has been explained so many times in so many threads you have to be purposely ignoring it to defend MS at this point

Sorry man, I don't read every thread. Especially the past couple of days, when someone makes a new thread every ten minutes. And I can't "give it a rest", when this is the first time I've ever posted anything about this subject.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
If EA try anything they would also have to give up publishing on PS3 which would basically end up in bankruptcy for them. Sony are in the position of power here because they have the console that sells the most software WW right now.

The EU won't break up OPEC because of retribution from oil producing countries cutting off supply and sending the economy into a tailspin. It is not a comparable situation in any way whatsoever.

That's not how it works this late in the generation when 30-40% of third party publisher revenue is made on one of Sony's platforms. Sony are the power player in this scenario.

He's also forgetting the prominence of used games in Japan where Sony does well. Japan will also not stand for it.
This is an attempt to undermine the consumer's rights, that will come back to bite MS and hopefully EA in the arse, for their anti-consumerist bullshit.

No, it is not all that ridiculous and not just limited to the video games sector. I do recall Hollywood trying to stop the proliferation of the VCR because recordings we going to kill the market in their words. This is the same shit in a different pile.

Sony Corporation of America vs Universal City Studios - 1984!

Sony standing up for consumer rights, let's hope the spirit of Morita and Ohga still exists in Kaz!

Key2001

Yeah, the wording threw me off.

Still pretty convoluted when there are much better alternatives out there to address the used games issue.

I believe both systems have to be logged into the same account, but each account can have multiple users. However, only one user from the account can play the game at any one time.

Harrison: Just like today, if you have a game disc that you buy from the store, you can play that game. The game is now installed to the hard drive. Any user who is associated with that Xbox One can play that game. I can give that game disc to my son and he can go and take it to another machine inside the house and play it on that machine. Just like today, only one of us can play it at any one time.

Along with hurting private selling, this also hurts anyone that wants to pass a old game they no longer play to a friend or family member(that doesn't use the same account).

Alphahawk

It's all going to depend on if Microsoft charges retailers a fee on top of the publisher's cut. Ideally it should be easy enough that mom and pop stores are able to use this.

djyella

This defeats the value of used games for me. I buy used games off amazon sellers where the price is set by the market, rather than a price $5 less than the new game set by Gamestop. Effectively no benefit to buying used for me on this console.

I really hope gamers show how they feel with their wallets.

Xater

He's also forgetting the prominence of used games in Japan where Sony does well. Japan will also not stand for it.
This is an attempt to undermine the consumer's rights, that will come back to bite MS and hopefully EA in the arse, for their anti-consumerist bullshit.

Oh yeah this is the very definition of giving up on the Japanese market.

300,000 servers put to good use, clearly.

If those servers can make Microsoft more money, then they truly are put to good use (for them and not so much us).

It's a shame that Microsofts PR couldn't have explained how used games worked as clearly as this. It doesn't sound as bad as what I initially though... but this still sucks for people who want to loan their games out to their friends, or for people who like to sell their used games privately.

Toki767

It's all going to depend on if Microsoft charges retailers a fee on top of the publisher's cut. Ideally it should be easy enough that mom and pop stores are able to use this.

What reason would a mom and pop store have to do this though? Depending on the cut MS/publishers get, those stores would have to offer you pretty little for your games in order for them to profit on their resale.

Withnail

Well thanks for the holy PRIVILEGE of being allowed to sell my own fucking games used to a store of your own choosing, Microsoft. Do you want to hold my fucking dick when I take a piss next as I accept this in trade for renting, borrowing and lending?

What a fucking gas this shit is. I sincerely hope that the remaining few stragglers in the game community who continue to take this shit on the chin wake up and start vocalizing their distaste for losing extremely significant rights they've had since they started spending money in this industry.

This entire concept is about Microsoft thinking every consumer is a fucking piece of shit dishonest little sheep who at any moment themselves might commit piracy or actively decide not to play these horrible AAA games after they spend any time with rentals. You know, because you can't have people thinking for themselves and actually REJECTING the strategy you have adopted, can you?

I fucking hate myself right fucking now for ever buying an Xbox and Xbox 360. I helped made this shit possible. I fell right into this goddamn trap and I should have fucking known. This is Microsoft, after all. These goddamn animals.

Nicely put lol. You've been on fire the past few days.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You know what terrifies me? That this piece of shit console is going to succeed.

In times previous I would have been scared but the thing is Microsoft is not the games industry. I mean they have charging for online multiplayer for an age now and nobody else does it.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
If those servers can make Microsoft more money, then they truly are put to good use (for them and not so much us).

It's a shame that Microsofts PR couldn't have explained how used games worked as clearly as this. It doesn't sound as bad as what I initially though... but this still sucks for people who want to loan their games out to their friends, or for people who like to sell their used games privately.

Literally nothing has changed. The whole issue is exactly this.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It sounds fair, but I think that the price for the consumer that will buy the used game will be higher, or the "discount" for the consumer that will sell the game will be lower.
Plus, I can't trade privately nor borrow the game to a friend.
I've just purchased the first Darkisders for PS3 from a colleague, for example..
Nope, don't like this approach, MS.

Linkified

If EA try anything they would also have to give up publishing on PS3 which would basically end up in bankruptcy for them. Sony are in the position of power here because they have the console that sells the most software WW right now.

The EU won't break up OPEC because of retribution from oil producing countries cutting off supply and sending the economy into a tailspin. It is not a comparable situation in any way whatsoever.

Are they though have any data to back that up... so when Sony announce a similar process for used games then what? Yoshida was very vague at that Sony reveal event.

I fear many people are going to buy this thing without knowing what they're getting into. Moms and Dads won't have a clue and I doubt many game store employees will anyway. I'd love to be in a game store when this thing goes on sale and hear some of the bullshit told to prospective buyers.

"I've heard little Timmy can't take his games round to his playmates house, is this correct?"

"No madam, he can still take his games there and play them as he does at home"

Little timmys playmate then proceeds to 'buy' said game on his dads credit card and at the same time kills little timmys version of the game.

Oh this is going to be goood.....

Jucksalbe

Banned
No, it is not all that ridiculous and not just limited to the video games sector. I do recall Hollywood trying to stop the proliferation of the VCR because recordings we going to kill the market in their words. This is the same shit in a different pile.

It's not really comparable, though. I guess you mean TV recordings? Used products don't increase the number of copies available.
I've never seen any industry that limits the way I can sell a physical product used (well, besides, of course, by law).

smurfx

get some go again
so the people who win are the retailers who will be able to buy and sell the used games from you and of course the publishers and microsoft. good luck getting any good money for your used game when you don't have any options but microsofts when selling your game.

Socky

MCV:

These same unconfirmed reports also suggest that the activation cost for consumers buying or borrowing pre-owned software will be £35.

...Wait. So not only people will have to pay for buying pre-owned games, but they will pay for activation too? ...A 35 Pounds fee activation? WHAT?

Someone tell me we are wrong here.

Certainly in the UK, £35 activation fee + a minimum £5 for the retailer + whatever they pay the seller = the full retail price anyway. If X1 games are going to cost the usual £45-50 that is...

If this is true, why is anyone going to buy a used game in the first place? And if they ain't buyin', you ain't sellin'.

I really think the MCV quote above should be in the OP, unless there's a flaw in my reasoning here. Do tell.

EDIT: £35 probably equates to $45-50 in game price terms.

Bedlam

So basically: less money for consumers for trading in games; more money for MS for doing nothing except establishing the system.

We're truly getting xboned with MS' next console.

DarkFlow

Banned
Publishers Win

Retailers Win

This is something both sides of the equation can support... what, therefore is the big deal if you can still go to a major retailer and trade in your stuff?

Who cares if it is wiped from your account? You no longer have the fucking game.

I can't sell it on craigslist or ebay and get close to the full price I paid for it. I HAVE to sell it too a middle man and get pennies on the dollar.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What a mess. Nothing about this sounds pro consumer. Only pro retailer and pro publisher.

I'm not certain how this is "pro retailer" either. They force retailers to use a Microsoft system and give up part of their earnings. It's just "pro retailer" if you see it as "better than nothing".
It's especially not "pro small retailers".

Are they though have any data to back that up... so when Sony announce a similar process for used games then what? Yoshida was very vague at that Sony reveal event.

Compiled from publisher revenue reports in their annual releases. It's actually proprietary information that the bank compiles for analysts.

If that's the case then I'm out of next gen tbh...

Alex

And that'll be the high trade-in value. After your Power Up Reward bonus!

I think that's under the assumption that both systems have the same Gamertag as the owner.

Oh yeah, I think that's a totally plausible scenario, too. For a lot of things, I'd roll my eyes at the forum hyperbole but this whole situation seems like it could be scarily accurate with prices and values being absurdly skewed.

Wouldn't be shocked if the general attitude during this system creation was akin to them giving you the privilege of comfortably selling your old games for new ones and you should be happy to scrape what you can out of it, on their dime.

Sheroking

It occurs to me that awesome flee-market finds and those really cool used game stores are a thing of the past, at least where this is concerned.

I'm afraid of change. This doesn't sound good... but it sounds like our unavoidable future. So what are the odds Sony is doing the same?

Well Sony aren't using 'the cloud' to check licenses and whatnot of people's games in their homes. Nor does the PS4 have to connect to the internet. so there's no way Sony can control the used game market in the same manner.

spwolf

Sony Corporation of America vs Universal City Studios - 1984!

Sony standing up for consumer rights, let's hope the spirit of Morita and Ohga still exists in Kaz!

revenue from this could be significant enough that Sony might be left with no choice but to do the same thing, or be left out from significant revenues.

Top Bottom