• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Retail sources talk used Xbox One games, £35 for used game in UK [U2: Eurogamer]

Toki767

Well Sony aren't using 'the cloud' to check licenses and whatnot of people's games in their homes. Nor does the PS4 have to connect to the internet. so there's no way Sony can control the used game market in the same manner.

Sony can't, but publishers can probably code it into their PS4 games. Obviously you can just avoid those games at least.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
seems a bit restrictive and will limit support to the big retail chains.

also means that you'll get less for your game when you trade in, depending what the cut is for the retailer. Which means less money available to buy more games (but more money in the hands of publishers and MS)

smurfx

get some go again
This. :( Fuck this shit.
this will kill the buy/sell/trade here on neogaf. :( i've bought so much stuff from fellow gaffers.

seems a bit restrictive and will limit support to the big retail chains.

also means that you'll get less for your game when you trade in, depending what the cut is for the retailer. Which means less money available to buy more games (but more money in the hands of publishers and MS)
yeah in the end big publishers win since gamers with less money will take less chances and only buy AAA games. guess a lot of people will stop buying games and just wait for them to have bomba sales which isn't going to be good in the end for publishers but i doubt they care what happens long term.

Consumers lose...how is that so hard to see? I don't think anyone is complaining about not having the game anymore.

- I can no longer loan a game to a friend for them to play
- I can no longer sell my game outside of approved channels

Why should Microsoft or the publisher get a cut?
Does Ford get a cut when I sell my car?
Does Levis get a cut when I sell my jeans?
Does Nike get a cut when I sell my shoes?
Does Sony get a cut when I sell my TV? Receiver?
I could go on and on...hell, Apple doesn't even go after preowned iPod sales

People like you make me sick when it comes to this kind of stuff. Just go ahead and give up all your rights. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hope they fail miserably. Crash and burn.

that was then, this is now. this's the gaming industry, via the xbone, attempting to fabricate a new consumer perception of what it means to 'buy' something, & to 'own' something. it's called rentier capitalism for a reason...

Well Sony aren't using 'the cloud' to check licenses and whatnot of people's games in their homes. Nor does the PS4 have to connect to the internet. so there's no way Sony can control the used game market in the same manner.

Exactly, Sony is global company in too many nations that don't have great access to the internet to try this. MS has made the Fuck Yeah America box, so they don't give two shits how many countries they fuck over with this. Basically Microsoft will have almost zero deals in smaller countries so everyone there will be fucked over. But hey, why would you want to live there?!

Facism

Look at all these guys saying it's ok that we have no choice in how and where we sell our games. How this reduction in rights is a good thing for us. How MS should be involved in every little fucking thing we do and take a cut from it.

Are they though have any data to back that up... so when Sony announce a similar process for used games then what? Yoshida was very vague at that Sony reveal event.

Then what? I suppose people who aren't utter lackeys opt for a console without that stuff. But that, of course, is assuming Sony go through with it. There's hope that, at the very least, their version isn't nearly as extreme.

If I cannot sell my games at any point, I want an absolute cast-iron guarantee that the servers will be active for at least 30 years, with purchased games unhindered. Perpetual backwards compatibility *must* be confirmed before I jump on board.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So basically no used games/borrowed from friends or private trading? Mess

Well, not unless they want to pay full price to install it on their system. This also kills ebay, Amazon, Gamefly, Craigslist, Redbox, etc... How is this is good?

I understand some people enjoy putting publishers and Microsoft's interests above their own, but I don't. It's real nice that upon buying a preplayed game a cut of the sale goes to the publisher AND Microsoft?! What business does Microsoft have in getting anything from a second sale? Oh wait, I guess all of the money they get from stupid consumers can pay for celebrities to pimp their system at E3.

Sorry but says who?

On stage at Sony's reveal they said they were building a huge cloud network for streaming and the gaikai stuff.

'the cloud' is just server farms at the end of the day and Sony have plenty of those.

UberTag

Gamefly is screwed.
Mom and pop shop indie stores are screwed.
GameStop wins.
Greedy publishers win.
Developers are still screwed.
Microsoft wins.
Gamers lose.

I can see Microsoft starting up their own rental service through Xbox LIVE (once again where publishers and MS would cash-in) where games would instantly delete themselves (or, more likely, prompt you to buy them or pay another rental fee) after a 48-hour period. Most likely piecemeal per game. The Gamefly model isn't viable for them.

Retail has a 'better than nothing' lifeline.

I think the 'big deal' for consumers is:

1) Private transactions - lending, private sales, trades - are gone under this model * except user-to-user sales through MS's online marketplace, which sees the buyer paying full price, and the seller probably only getting Xbox Dollars credit

But if the buyer must pay full price or near full price, he would better buy the cheaper downloadable version ( i supposse there will be downloadable versions and that they will be cheaper ) or instead buy in retail a disc that is new...

Something is fishy here. Many people want to get profit ( gamestop, MS and the publisher ) from second hand and the customer is the screwed one as before he got all the money from the second hand sale.

I'm not certain how this is "pro retailer" either. They force retailers to use a Microsoft system and give up part of their earnings. It's just "pro retailer" if you see it as "better than nothing".
It's especially not "pro small retailers".

Basically this.

All it is, is Microsoft planting themselves between the consumer and the publisher to earn extra money off of their software.

Dead Man

Gamefly is screwed.
Mom and pop shop indie stores are screwed.
GameStop wins.
Greedy publishers win.
Developers are still screwed.
Microsoft wins.
Gamers lose.

Yup.

I can't believe they are going to protect gamestop and prevent lending to a friend or sibling. Actually, I can believe that, I can't believe they are going to get away with it. But they will.

Toki767

But if the buyer must pay full price or near full price, he would better buy the cheaper downloadable version ( i supposse there will be downloadable and that they will be cheaper ) or buy in retail a disc that is new...

Something is fishy here.

I can guarantee you the downloadable version will not be cheaper if there is pretty much no used game market. Considering the game installs, you're basically buying the downloadable version but you get to keep a disc as a souvenir in case you want to get a couple dollars back when you're done and don't want the game anymore.

Sorry but says who?

On stage at Sony's reveal they said they were building a huge cloud network for streaming and the gaikai stuff.

'the cloud' is just server farms at the end of the day and Sony have plenty of those.

Unless Sony has a different method, this won't work. They were vague about used games, but have already said you don't need the internet for a PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MCV:

Someone tell me we are wrong here.

Certainly in the UK, £35 activation fee + a minimum £5 for the retailer + whatever they pay the seller = the full retail price anyway. If X1 games are going to cost the usual £45-50 that is...

If this is true, why is anyone going to buy a used game in the first place? And if they ain't buyin', you ain't sellin'.

I really think the MCV quote above should be in the OP, unless there's a flaw in my reasoning here. Do tell.

EDIT: £35 probably equates to $45-50 in game price terms.

if the retailer only gets £5 of the resold game, they're not going to pay you anything for the game you trade in anyway. So why even bother trading in the game?

Everyone that has finished a game should just smash the disc and upload a video of it to youtube

I think the furthest Sony will go is allow third parties to sell games with one time activation keys which need to be bought via PSN for a small fee when you buy the game used and the key has already been used.

As long as they limit the fee to £5-10 I would be alright with it. Just a logical extension of Online Pass.

I think it's absolutely unnecessary though and Sony could just play hardball with the publishers and force them to support PS4 by attaching it to PS3.

Sorry but says who?

Sony's console does NOT require an internet connection, or intermittent connections to 'the cloud' in order to function - therefore there's no way they can use it as a means to control licenses of software.

Kusagari

The worst thing about this is that I really do think it will curb much of the negative reactions toward the policy.

As long as they can still trade into Gamestop I doubt many will care.

KarmaCow

Yup.

I can't believe they are going to protect gamestop and prevent lending to a friend or sibling. Actually, I can believe that, I can't believe they are going to get away with it. But they will.

Remember when Batman Arkham City had the Catwoman DLC to decentivize used game sales....but WB just sold the DLC codes to Gamestop so they could sell it along side used games?

Socky

Article updated:

UPDATE: Many readers are asking whether the £35 will be additional cost on top of the price of buying the game. No, we believe that the £35 figure – which is not our number, incidentally – would cover the entire transaction. If correct this would leave retail with a cut per sale of around £3.50.

That's... somewhat better? For some? I never buy retail anyway, and haven't paid over £36 for a console game in years...

The publisher revenue from this model could be very significant.

It could, but not in the way you are thinking, they're taking a risk publishing on the Xbox One to begin with.

No such risk with the PS4, which is maybe why they're willing to let the used game thing go. I'm sure they were fully aware of the direction the Xbox One is going in. They know the PS4 is focused on games, so they will sell.

The Xbox One is a different animal, it could flop harder than the Wii U even if it didn't mess around on the used game thing.

I think the furthest Sony will go is allow third parties to sell games with one time activation keys which need to be bought via PSN for a small fee when you buy the game used and the key has already been used.

As long as they limit the fee to £5-10 I would be alright with it. Just a logical extension of Online Pass.

I think it's absolutely unnecessary though and Sony could just play hardball with the publishers and force them to support PS4 by attaching it to PS3.

I long argued this, but it won't be that cheap. They'll be £15 minimum in my opinion.

£5 is just ridiculously low.

sleepykyo

Unconfirmed reports on ConsoleDeals.co.uk suggest that retail’s slice will be as little as ten per cent. That’s a significant cut from what it has become accustomed to from pre-owned sales and more in line with what they would receive from the sale of a new game – hence, the value of the pre-owned market to the retailer is effectively destroyed.

Oh. Guess that effectively destroys retail. Even Best Buy has resorted to used game sales to drive their game profits. They might as well cut back the videogame section some more. Before anyone celebrate, that means only AAAA titles get carried.

If theoretically Sony wanted to play hardball, they would have a huge advantage. People really think publishers are going to avoid Sony at this point?

Basically this.

All it is, is Microsoft planting themselves between the consumer and the publisher to earn extra money off of their software.

Depend on the sales made for example on ebay vs the ones made in gamestop before. I think there are more people now that sell games by their own that by a reseller. The fortunate ones will be the reselers associated with MS, the rest will be screwed.

Absolute bullshit.

How can a movie, music and book industry survive with ubiquitous pre-owned sales, if gaming can't?

Is there any industry who uses this warped logic:
This controversy bothered me the least out of all of it. Devs deserve their money. Games aren't cars. It would have been nice to actually have an answer planned though when someone asks it 10 minutes after your show.

In any other form of entertainment this practice would be laughable, but for some reason with gamers (or at least a lot of them) it's different.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think Sony can also pitch this to publishers in a way to keep their business.

Sony allowing used sales, and MS not, allows publishers to do some nice A:B comparisons based on new Vs used sales, maybe actually allowing them to figure out whether used sales really do impact revenues.

MS' approach is good for Publisher 'A' of the game being traded in, but removes money from the consumer which may be spent on other games, so may negatively impact Publisher B of the game the consumer may otherwise have bought. Having two systems live in the market allows some data to be gathered on that.

Publishers Win

Retailers Win

This is something both sides of the equation can support... what, therefore is the big deal if you can still go to a major retailer and trade in your stuff?

Who cares if it is wiped from your account? You no longer have the fucking game.

what if it wipes the achievements and/or save games related psvita style?

dex3108

Aaaaand smaller markets can forget selling or buying preowned games. There is no official store in my country or in countries that surround me that will be possible to sell/buy preowned games. We are now exchanging games between ourselves.

Sony it's your turn.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sony's console does NOT require an internet connection, or intermittent connections to 'the cloud' in order to function - therefore there's no way they can use it as a means to control licenses of software.

True, but a pub could use an activation system that requires the buyer to go online for a once off activation anyway, treat the game like an online game. I mean, this was even technically possible on PS3.

I don't think Sony can mandate a universal system though, if the system 'can be enjoyed with an internet connection at all'. That supposes there will be some chunk of games that don't need the net at least.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Exactly as I predicted in the thread on Tuesday.

Still complete anti-consumer garbage that I won't support. Prices will undoubtedly stay higher as a result of this.

Xater

Is there any industry who uses this warped logic:

In any other form of entertainment this practice would be laughable, but for some reason with gamers (or at least a lot of them) it's different.

Yeah I am always baffled by people thinking that someone deserves a cut of my privately sold property.

If theoretically Sony wanted to play hardball, they would have a huge advantage. People really think publishers are going to avoid Sony at this point?

47% of revenue made on consoles by third party publishers was made on Sony's platforms. According to data compiled by my bank. Publishers would be playing with fire if they tried to cut Sony off. Which is why they won't, a compromise will be sought and Sony will limit them to £10 for activation keys sold via PSN or even in the shops themselves. However, this doesn't help users who want to stay offline and play used games.

Not to bring up a tired comment, but publishers were more than happy to ignore the Wii.

Don't put anything past publishers.

It's not even close to the same situation. Sony throwing publishers off PS3 would be the end of the line for many of them. They can't afford not to release PS3 games, and for Sony the damage would be very limited this late in the generation. Sony could play hardball and attach PS3 releases to PS4 releases and the publishers would not be able to do very much about it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If there's no competition for second hand sales even with this procedure, shit is going to be worthless

Say Gamestop buys in

You buy your $70 BF4, play it, get tired 1-2 months in return it to GS and they offer only $25-$30 for tops
They turn around sell it for say $60-$65 "Pre-Owned"
So MS and Pub get a cut from your resell say $5-$10, then when that new used copy sells get another $10-$20
They just made close to $100 off one copy of BF4, repeat

This may look great, but if there is no competition from other retailers, Gamestop can force any TIV (trade-in-value) MS/Pub asks it to be
Pub knows people are trading in their shitacular title and ask MS to force the resell to be $10-$20, even though title is less than a month old and still selling $70 new
Forcing GS to lower it and any other retailers using the program/service

GS had competition in the form of Best Buy and their 100% Trade-In's, really started eating into GS monopoly/cash cow, GS challenged and rose TIV's across the board, started adding those same deals with twist that still benefited them

So MS + Pubs + GS/Retailers that want to get in on this will literally hold hostage the market, the users will be at the mercy of their prices

There's a reason second hand sales have checks and balances, and so many avenues to sell your item, competition breeds good prices, deals, etc.
Collusion on the other hand will stagnant the market, less purchases, might even detract newer purchases

UberTag

Oh. Guess that effectively destroys retail. Even Best Buy has resorted to used game sales to drive their game profits. They might as well cut back the videogame section some more. Before anyone celebrate, that means only AAAA titles get carried.
Would be amusing to see a scenario where GameStop REFUSES trade-ins of most non-triple AAA titles due to their smaller profit margins and the limited shelf space they would have on-hand. They're not going to want your 6-month old copy of Harvest Moon any more.

I can guarantee you the downloadable version will not be cheaper if there is pretty much no used game market. Considering the game installs, you're basically buying the downloadable version but you get to keep a disc as a souvenir in case you want to get a couple dollars back when you're done and don't want the game anymore.

Then, if downloadable new versions are more expensive than second hand... nobody would buy the game new and everybody would wait for the second hand one, as it is basically a digital version too...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

If retail cut was as little as 10%...I doubt Gamestop would be very happy about this and tweeting that everything was OK, and promoting preorders on the system. I think they'd at least have cause to hesitate on it.

Kusagari

I find it hard to believe Gamestop would accept that small a cut.

Top Bottom