• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3 multiplayer details leak [Update 4: Game Informer Can't Read]

Lakitu

st5fu
I was feeling positive when the details were being released but now I'm anything but. Guess if I want to play a good sci-fi rpg with action I'll play ME 1 again.

Raide

I am sure there will be a massive SP side and I am sure you will have plenty of alien sex. MP is just a nice addition. Running around with guns + biotics could make for a pretty interesting MP game. At least its not another military shooter. It's a space military shooter!

commissar

I hate to be "that guy" mentioning Uncharted 2 in every thread ever, but just reminding you all that it is possible to make a good satisfying singleplayer game AND multiplayer game.

Also doesn't ME3 have a "shooter" mode to it? Who knows this could actually be some fun

commissar said:
I hate to be "that guy" mentioning Uncharted 2 in every thread ever, but just reminding you all that it is possible to make a good satisfying singleplayer game AND multiplayer game.

Also doesn't ME3 have a "shooter" mode to it? Who knows this could actually be some fun
Naughty Dog are devs who have only gone from strength to strength and provided their fans with great experiences.

Bioware are pretty much the complete opposite.

I think it's fair for people to have reservations, because Bioware haven't done anything to earn good will.

DaBuddaDa

astroturfing said:
cool, i'll play it for a day or two.
Yep. If Mass Effect 3 scales back the exploration and dialogue more, increases the linearity and shooting, and shoehorns in multiplayer, the fall of Bioware will be packed, sealed and delivered. What a disgustingly misguided, cynical company they've become.

commissar

I would disagree.
Bioware made some great games with the Mass Effect series, sure They each have their own issues, but a multiplayer mode is hardly going to ruin the writing now is it? If anything it implies the moment to moment gameplay might actually be fun this time around.

But hey what do I know, I thought KOTOR was zzzzz

angrybus

Banned
It's kind of weird that they feel the need to do this, but I seriously doubt it's going to take away anything from the SP experience. Although it's not as if ME isn't fit for something like this -- it is (partly) a cover-based third person shooter remember.

Lakitu

st5fu
DaBuddaDa said:
Yep. If Mass Effect 3 scales back the exploration and dialogue more, increases the linearity and shooting, and shoehorns in multiplayer, the fall of Bioware will be packed, sealed and delivered. What a disgustingly misguided, cynical company they've become.

Yeah, pretty much.

I remember the feeling of exploring the Citadel in ME 1, or going to Ilos for the first time. Seeing these strange and beautiful places. I had such high hopes back then.

Yay, so the cerberus network will unlock maps on the disk that used game buyers will have to shell out an additional 10 bucks.
Seriously not looking forward to MP in ME.

Dyno

It's not like the shooting action is so smooth and good that I want to spend significant MP time with it.

Man this franchise has done a complete 180 compared to what they originally set out to do. Open world space exploration RPG turned into heavily scripted cover shooter. There is no way this is going to compete with Uncharted.

Raide

boris feinbrand said:
Yay, so the cerberus network will unlock maps on the disk that used game buyers will have to shell out an additional 10 bucks.
Seriously not looking forward to MP in ME.

If they really want to play ME MP, then they will buy new. Not many fans will buy ME3 just because it has some MP added, they are buying it for the continuation of the SP storyline.

commissar said:
I would disagree.
Bioware made some great games with the Mass Effect series, sure They each have their own issues, but a multiplayer mode is hardly going to ruin the writing now is it? If anything it implies the moment to moment gameplay might actually be fun this time around.

But hey what do I know, I thought KOTOR was zzzzz
I don't think the multiplayer is going to ruin the story or anything (2 and the focus they seem to have in 3 already is doing that all by itself), but I do think that the fact they are focusing on multiplayer as well shows that they have truly lost sight of what made the first ME great and we will never get a worthy sequel to it.

DaBuddaDa said:

Agree 100%.

Riposte

I suspect that it will be a shittier version of Gears 3 with all the annoyances of Uncharted 3. But hey, I am not bothered. Not until they announce the Mass Effect MMO.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Riposte said:
I suspect that it will be a shittier version of Gears 3 with all the problems of Uncharted 3. But hey, I am not bothered. Not until they announce the Mass Effect MMO.

enlighten me, please, what are problems with UC3?

Aurarian

Why in the hell would Mass Effect need multiplayer? I hate when companies decide to put something like multiplayer in a game that has inherently been a singleplayer game since the get-go.

Chinner

Banned
The redesign of Ashley sums up Bioware and the Mass Effect series; a complete sell-out that attempts to appeal to a wider-audience by copying the trend but in the process ends up with an utterly mediocre product without any personality.

Vlodril

Oh bioware.. i used to love you but you are killing me..

I think its probably too late for them to turn back and this bioware is the one we will get which sucks. Still have a tiny hope for TOR but you killed any mass effect hype i had (which is too bad considering how much i loved the first one).

Riposte

Lakitu said:
It's a bid for Bioware to appeal to a broader crowd, i.e. Call of Duty players.

More likely this is apart of the EA initiative to combat resells.

Chinner said:
The redesign of Ashley sums up Bioware and the Mass Effect series; a complete sell-out that attempts to appeal to a wider-audience by copying the trend but in the process ends up with an utterly mediocre product without any personality.

ME2 and ME3 previews has taught us that Mass Effect, as a trilogy, is being made up as it goes along.

EDIT: PC gamers ready to not be able to buy this off steam? :)

Chinner said:
I just saw this. Wow, she looks like Natalie Portman.

Somehow, I feel like playing an Adept will be fun against all these Soldier out there: warp explosions can bend and curve around corners, while their bullets can't !

_dementia said:
I'm sure there are a few people that want a ME MMO once the trilogy is done.

Yes. Massively Multiplayer Online game, with tons of worlds, hubs and everything to explore with party, with ships and others vehicules.

Not competitive, deathmatch based, in clusterfucking small area, multiplayer.

Chinner

Banned
Riposte said:
EDIT: PC gamers ready to not be able to buy this off steam? :)
Basically means I'm done with the ME series. It's a shame it's turned into just another third person shooter with a sci-fi twist, but hey at least the original is still pretty amazing!

Deadly Cyclone said:
Horde mode sounds great, but competitive multiplayer is not needed and will feel stiff/slow.

This. Make a diverse set of characters with unlockable abilities, perks, killing streaks etc. and make it a Horde mode.

Luken

If Bioware make ME3 multiplayer like star wars battlefront 3, we will have the best multiplayer game ever.

Just imagine, a space battle with lots of Battleships and spaceships, with people flying and getting onboard the enemy battleships. Like the beginning of the StarWar: Revenge of the Sith movie.

Make it happen Bioware! :D

Ponti

Was sceptical till I read the "The game will also feature a ‘multiplayer store’. The store will carry upgrades for weapons, etc. and other items." part. Classic EA.

Think I'm done with BioWare. Love ME too :(

Lothars

Foliorum Viridum said:
So not only are Bioware seemingly forgetting how to tell a good story and finish the trilogy in a worthy way, but they're also focusing on multiplayer. Great.

Almost certainly going to be a crap game.

I love how you think it's an almost certainly going to be a bad game but you really have no idea, I think it's going to be a great game.

Nobody really knows how it turns out but I don't think you can assume it will be bad especially when ME2 was great.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ponti said:
Was sceptical till I read the "The game will also feature a ‘multiplayer store’. The store will carry upgrades for weapons, etc. and other items." part. Classic EA.

Think I'm done with BioWare. Love ME too :(
In game money store.

Lothars said:
I love how you think it's an almost certainly going to be a bad game but you really have no idea, I think it's going to be a great game.

Nobody really knows how it turns out but I don't think you can assume it will be bad especially when ME2 was great.
I thought ME2 was a good action game, but not a good Mass Effect game.

With everything I've seen about 3 so far, I feel my assumptions about the overall quality of 3 are quite fair.

XeroSauce

Man, you guys are really jumping the boat here, aren't you?

Why the hell is it not possible to have both a great SP and MP? It is possible for them to co-exist, you know.

Lakitu said:
Yeah, pretty much.

I remember the feeling of exploring the Citadel in ME 1, or going to Ilos for the first time. Seeing these strange and beautiful places. I had such high hopes back then.

meh, citadel was smaller and less interesting than Taris

Lothars

Foliorum Viridum said:
I thought ME2 was a good action game, but not a good Mass Effect game.

With everything I've seen about 3 so far, I feel my assumptions about the overall quality of 3 are quite fair.

I feel your assumptions are not, I think you are overreacting for little to no reason but i'm not gonna change your mind, so I hope once it's released you will play it but if not than I don't know what to say.

Top Bottom