• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3 multiplayer details leak [Update 4: Game Informer Can't Read]

Walshicus

troushers said:
This is a test balloon for the Mass Effect MMO. You heard it here first.
Which is stupid because a Mass Effect MMO would be perfectly viable without the multiplayer shooter bullshit in ME3.

Lime

Lakitu said:
Morals is too strong a word. Replace it with something that makes sense in the grand scheme of the post, if you would.

One could argue that it's about aesthetic morals, although that would require a more general outline of how Bioware is failing miserably at their task of creating anything of aesthetic worth, rather than an outcry about incorporating multiplayer, which is more of a symptom rather than the disease itself.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Eurogamer has joined in with a very similar rumor.

Eurogamer said:
Four-player co-op for Mass Effect 3?
by Wesley Yin-Poole
16/06/2011 @ 14:07

Mass Effect 3 is strongly rumoured to feature a four-player co-op mode.

Eurogamer understands this four-player, online-enabled co-op mode is "standalone" and features "competitive elements".

The co-op component is said to not compromise the single-player portion of the game.

Current reports suggest Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is a Horde-style mode, which challenges players to shoot-to-kill waves of enemies.

A separate source has told Eurogamer that BioWare Montreal was creating a multiplayer Mass Effect experience, either as a standalone game or component of Mass Effect 3.

Is this still the case?

At E3 last week Eurogamer asked BioWare if Mass Effect 3 has four-player co-op.

"We haven't talked at all about multiplayer in the Mass Effect franchise, but we're exploring multiplayer in all of our games and all of our franchises," BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka told Eurogamer.

"It's always an idea we're interested in.

"The short answer is we have no comment on that. But we're interested in the idea of multiplayer."

Last month EA announced that Mass Effect 3 was delayed to early 2012.

"The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone's expectations," said executive producer Casey Hudson at the time.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-16-four-player-co-op-for-mass-effect-3

Just what the fuck happened to this franchise? Had you told me it would come to this when Mass Effect 1 was released back in 07 I would've laughed in your face. But.....:(

Owzers

TacticalFox88 said:
Just what the fuck happened to this franchise? Had you told me it would come to this when Mass Effect 1 was released back in 07 I would've laughed in your face. But.....:(

making rpgs is boring, rail shooter sections are much better. Big monster, stationary gun on a train/car/plane, shoot shoot shoot.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CVG actually claims they're co-op missions instead of horde mode, but as a warning, CVG's sources are all kinds of horrid: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...er-is-real-based-on-original-online-missions/

CVG said:
Eurogamer reports that the much-rumoured multiplayer feature will include "competitive elements" and "will not compromise" the single-player portion of the game.

A reliable development source has since informed CVG that the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer feature will be built around "original missions made for online", which will be totally unique from the solo campaign.

Our mole added there would "only be a handful" of co-op missions which have been created with the intention of being "played and played again".

Reports have suggested that the online offering will come in the form of a Horde-style mode, but our source was quick to play down the notion.

DR2K

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:

Posts like this irritate me. They're adding elements that are successful to the mainstream market. Common sense 101.

FTH said:
Fuck BioWare with these optional features!!
As long as it doesn't detract from the SP experience, I couldn't care less.
Ideally, the multi would be outsourced to another company so the ME team can dedicate all their resources to the best SP experience possible.

Xilium

DR2K said:
Posts like this irritate me. They're adding elements that are successful to the mainstream market. Common sense 101.
But it is winning them no favors. For every Shooter/Action fan they gain they lose an RPG fan. By most accounts, ME1 and ME2 are neck to neck in sales so what's the point in all of this?

DR2K said:
Because we care about their marketing strategy and profits moreso than our gaming experience.

:\

Come on...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looking back, BioWare never actually said there was no multiplayer. That was Game Informer's interpretation of Casey's vague statement.

Game Infomer said:
When the teaser for Mass Effect 3 first released, rumours were swirling that the project was actually a multiplayer title set in the Mass Effect universe. Those rumours turned out to be false, but it got many gamers thinking about how a multiplayer component would fit into the Mass Effect trilogy. Rest assured, the team has thought about this too,

Casey Hudson said:
"As a single-player experience, and just as a world that people want to immerse themselves in and share, we've been trying to think of a way that makes sense for people to experience Mass Effect with friends," says executive producer Casey Hudson. "We haven't yet come up with a way to do that, so we don't have anything to announce at this time. But obviously, multiplayer is something we want to do more of in the future as a company".
All he said is that they're not announcing it at the time of the article.

Dany

Banned
Whatever, co-op and a horde mode sounds sounds fun as long as the shooting is competent this time around

Wow, this news makes me go and download the new FREE Dead Space 2 MP map pack....

*crickets*......

It still saddens me that so much time was wasted on a decent multiplayer mode that 90% of the people are not interested in playing. Uncharted got flak as well but Naughty Dog proved us wrong. Ubi Montreal as well with Brotherhood but that got old really fast.

I'm not so sure about Bioware because of their recent track record and the fact that they haven't been open about the MP since the beginning (unlike ND and Ubi). The release delay and Kinect support seemed tacked on at the last minute.

Let's see what rolls out of the Bioware studio, but I'm still a little skeptic.

Top Bottom