• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3 multiplayer details leak [Update 4: Game Informer Can't Read]

Ashodin

This is just bioware's way of saying hey guys, we realllly need to not take a hit on our metacritic score for no multiplayer. Can ya do that for us?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maxrpg said:
This is just bioware's way of saying hey guys, we realllly need to not take a hit on our metacritic score for no multiplayer. Can ya do that for us?

That didn't seem to effect ME2's metascore. ;)

hint: it's four giftbaskets away from the perfect score

Damn it, Bioware. I was hoping the finish the trilogy with my 360 save, adding online just temps me to get the PS3 version. I hope multiplayer sucks.

Marleyman

Banned
jonah777 said:
This could go either way... but count me in. BioWare are 3 studios deep atm and I'm pretty sure they could handle adding a decent MP feature... even something as simple as a MP "Pinnacle Station". I'm a pretty hardcore ME fan, but I don't understand the backlash MP seems to get from others. :/ Is it so hard to wait until we have more info before writing this off?

You don't understand; Bioware upset certain segments of the gaming world lately and now everything they do is going to be shit...get with the program.

After reading the quote in the OP I decided to try a little exercise in substituion. Here's what I got:

Additionally, our source also detailed some parts of the multiplayer campaign. Here’s what we’ve been told:

The game will feature a Horde style multiplayer mode with “crap loads” of maps.
It will also have the regular modes such as Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag.
The Horde mode will have objectives like Capture The Flag, King of the Hill, and simple shoot-to-kill ‘waves’ as well.
Up to four players can play cooperatively in the Horde mode.
Maps are “fairly small” but well designed.
Players can choose from 6 different classes, or use a prebuilt one’s. Our source didn’t confirm what those classes were, but we reckon all those from MW2 will be present.
There will be a level cap of 60.
Some of the enemies were confirmed as well: Grenadiers, Machine-gunners, Snipers, and a new enemy type called a Panzer. The source described them as insanely “huge ass”.
The game will also feature a ‘multiplayer store’. The store will carry upgrades for weapons, etc. and other items.
Players will be able to buy said upgrades and items by earning in-game money based on their performance in the multiplayer. Our source wasn’t sure if the in-game money can be earned via the single player campaign as well, “but I doubt it. Seems like the (singleplayer and multiplayer) modes will be separate.”

5 words changed, and it's now the multiplayer impressions for Modern Warfare 3!

jim-jam bongs said:
After reading the quote in the OP I decided to try a little exercise in substituion. Here's what I got:

well i'll be fucked...damn

Mindlog

scar tissue said:
for the record, i like ME2 better than 1
maybe hardcore rpg is an overstatement, but it's definitely an rpg with shooter elements, while the sequel is a shooter with rpg elements
I like both games.
There are a lot of people that like bashing the second. I enjoy bashing the first.

I want a Mass Effect game set in the Terminus based around mercenary groups. It would be an awesome Jagged Alliance/Dust 514 hybrid. Multiplayer would fit just fine in that game.

megalowho

It's not even the idea of multiplayer I'm bummed about. And I loved ME2 more than the first, so I have a lot of trust in the team. It's just that all the prerelease hype and feature reveals seem to be centered around the idea that ME3 will be a great entry point for new players, which is bullshit. It's completely at odds with everything they've been building these past two games, and shits on the original ambition for the series. Why plan out a major, three game story arc with so much rich fiction behind it when it's fine to just jump in at the climax, no prob? And hey, you can level up COD style in multiplayer too! You like COD right? Don't mind that nerd who's invested 80+ hours into the series, this third game is for you, bro.

Gravijah

Mindlog said:
I like both games.
There are a lot of people that like bashing the second. I enjoy bashing the first.

wtffff why would you ever bash ME1!

i enjoy me2, even though it was a step down from ME1. plus, space terminator was awesome.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
megalowho said:
It's not even the idea of multiplayer I'm bummed about. And I loved ME2 more than the first, so I have a lot of trust in the team. It's just that all the prerelease hype and feature reveals seem to be centered around the idea that ME3 will be a great entry point for new players, which is bullshit. It's completely at odds with everything they've been building these past two games, and shits on the original ambition for the series. Why plan out a major, three game story arc with so much rich fiction behind it when it's fine to just jump in at the climax, no prob? And hey, you can level up COD style in multiplayer too! You like COD right? Don't mind that nerd who's invested 80+ hours into the series, this third game is for you, bro.

I wish they show more of the single-player soon. I want to see the skill trees, exploration, larger environments, classes/powers, etc. I hope the E3 demo is a very bad representative of the rest of the game. I don't care if there's MP or not.

Lakitu

st5fu
ChoklitReign said:
I wish they show more of the single-player soon. I want to see the skill trees, exploration, larger environments, classes/powers, etc. I hope the E3 demo is a very bad representative of the rest of the game. I don't care if there's MP or not.

Yeah... The E3 showing was disappointing (other than the improved RPG elements over ME2 and that little scene with the child) and didn't excite me one bit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ChoklitReign said:

Yeah, that's the frustrating thing. They're so concerned with courting an audience that doesn't even care about the genre in the first place that they've hardly shown anything that the actual fans want to see. To be frank, I love both ME games to death and I'm sure I'll feel the same about ME3, but I need to see something other than combat.

Mindlog said:
I want a Mass Effect game set in the Terminus based around mercenary groups. It would be an awesome Jagged Alliance/Dust 514 hybrid. Multiplayer would fit just fine in that game.

As long as Bioware doesn't make it.

Can't believe I just wrote that. Strange times...

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ColonialRaptor said:
This is just silly... why does EVERY game need MP? developers are dumb.
Probably because every reviewer whines about the lack of online multiplayer in games regardless of whether or not it makes any damn sense.

At least Angry Joe will be happy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jim-jam bongs said:

keanuwoah.jpg

IoCaster

I asked this question earlier in the thread and I'm still wondering if any of the folks present can answer it.

IoCaster said:
I don't track E3 news and trends, but did ME3 generate any serious buzz or hype coming out of the convention? Specifically among those in the crowd that weren't already fans of the series.

How about some of the folks that actually attended the show. Was there any buzz for this game at all?

Freshmaker said:
Probably because every reviewer whines about the lack of online multiplayer in games regardless of whether or not it makes any damn sense.

At least Angry Joe will be happy.
Yes, it's the reviewers that caused this. I mean all those reviews of me2 and bioshock that just ream the hell out of...Ok, I gotta stop, my sarcasmometer just overheated.

Reviewers barely mention mp in games they review. It's usually a last paragraph thing that's just thrown in there...ironically (or maybe intentionally) fitting for MP in most games.

chewydogg said:
People writing it off without playing or even seeing it... What if it actually turns out to be fun and worthwhile?

Seriously.

What is Bioware on their very first attempt; going to bring to the table when it comes to multiplayer horde mode?

What are they going to have that you can't get from other games?

It's going to be stapled on and forgotten about, like Dead Space 2 (which I actually enjoyed) and was invariably a waste of resources that might have resulted in time better spent on the single player portion of the game.

...then there's Bioware's track record for the last eighteen months. It hasn't exactly been sterling.

DatBreh said:
Might not be optional? So you saying they may force multiplayer on you somehow?

People said the same thing about Uncharted 2, and now that multiplayer mode is almost as anticipated as the SP.
Naughty Dog obliterated the U2 community with the 1.04 patch and unbalanced boosters, and from the looks of all the stupid kickbacks and boosters being implemented into U3, they chose not to take a fucking clue at all.

IoCaster said:
I asked this question earlier in the thread and I'm still wondering if any of the folks present can answer it.

How about some of the folks that actually attended the show. Was there any buzz for this game at all?

It depends on how much hype gaming enthusiasts can muster for a company that has demonstrated over the past few years that they are only interested in taking a "me too" approach to game design rather than enhancing the features that make them unique and in my opinion great.

Rolf NB

chewydogg said:
People writing it off without playing or even seeing it... What if it actually turns out to be fun and worthwhile?
Have you noticed the combat mechanics in Mass Effect 2 are absolute shit?

If BioWare decides to spend development resources on multiplayer, I'm done with them, and with EA. Can't fucking believe this shit anymore, it's getting ridiculous. They should be focusing every available resource on making this a great singleplayer experience, not on making a multiplayer nobody will ever play, because there's going to be a lot of better alternatives out there.

Maffis

bigdaddygamebot said:
Seriously.

What is Bioware on their very first attempt; going to bring to the table when it comes to multiplayer horde mode?

What are they going to have that you can't get from other games?

It's going to be stapled on and forgotten about, like Dead Space 2 (which I actually enjoyed) and was invariably a waste of resources that might have resulted in time better spent on the single player portion of the game.

...then there's Bioware's track record for the last eighteen months. It hasn't exactly been sterling.

They have EA behind them and several other developers with experience on MP that can help them.

The reason that every game needs multiplayer, as far as publishers are concerned anyway, is the magic of DLC.

Multiplayer DLC is usually cheaper to produce, especially if you have a persistent online identity which can be upgraded with cosmetic rewards. Making hats is cheap, and people will pay whatever you ask them if they're attached to their character.

It's also easier to make multiplayer DLC mandatory. Check the achievement stats on Steam for New Vegas some time and you can see how much drop off there has been in the percentage of players earning even the freebie cheevos for the DLC. With multiplayer DLC you can make it mandatory as long as you control matchmaking, which publishers do on consoles.

And then when the time comes to promote the sequel, guess what? You can shut off multiplayer and market the new game heavily to the players so they know it's time to pay their taxes.

All in my opinion of course.

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
If BioWare decides to spend development resources on multiplayer, I'm done with them, and with EA. Can't fucking believe this shit anymore, it's getting ridiculous. They should be focusing every available resource on making this a great singleplayer experience, not on making a multiplayer nobody will ever play, because there's going to be a lot of better alternatives out there.

Agree with you.

At least some RPG developers are staying true to their morals and not sacrificing art for the sake of an audience they probably will not catch.

IoCaster

Affeinvasion said:
It depends on how much hype gaming enthusiasts can muster for a company that has demonstrated over the past few years that they are only interested in taking a "me too" approach to game design rather than enhancing the features that make them unique and in my opinion great.

Well, I can certainly understand what you mean, but I'm genuinely curious about whether or not the EA/BioWare E3 presentation of ME3 sparked any type of buzz or hype.

Beth Cyra

Lakitu said:
Agree with you.

At least some RPG developers are staying true to their morals and not sacrificing art for the sake of an audience they probably will not catch.
Okay I'm not happy with the idea of multiplayer. Frankly I think Mass Effect's combat system is basic at best, trash at worst.

I much rather development time go into more sidequests, single player DLC, more LI's for everyone and tons of other things.

But Morals? Really? FFS this shit is fucking as bad as the Tali Monsters.

Lakitu

st5fu
TruePrime said:
Okay I'm not happy with the idea of multiplayer. Frankly I think Mass Effect's combat system is basic at best, trash at worst.

I much rather development time go into more sidequests, single player DLC, more LI's for everyone and tons of other things.

Morals is too strong a word. Replace it with something that makes sense in the grand scheme of the post, if you would.

TruePrime said:

Agreed.

Although Bioware has flat out lied since Dragon Age II...or representatives from Bioware.

But for me it's not morals.

For me, it feels like Bioware stopped caring about making great games and instead started caring about making great profits...

fernoca

Interesting if anything.
Heck the idea of multiplayer in Dead Space 2 sounded weird to many (lol multiplayer in a survival horror?)..and ended quite nice; so why not.

Maybe that's why the game was delayed to add more time into working on it. A few extra months do wonders in many cases. The campaign/story even if it was just like ME2 would've been nice by itself, so extras and more stuff in the game to do while playing and/or after finishing the main story..for the same price is always welcome.

Awesome you pushed back a single player epic to add shitty deathmatch multiplayer. If this wasn't Mass Effect I'd probably not even support this shit. I guarantee you it will be about as bad as Dead Space 2's "3 matches and never again" excuse for multiplayer.

syoaran

MrDanger88 said:
Awesome you pushed back a single player epic to add shitty deathmatch multiplayer. If this wasn't Mass Effect I'd probably not even support this shit. I guarantee you it will be about as bad as Dead Space 2's "3 matches and never again" excuse for multiplayer.

Isn't this completely unsupported as a theory? The game at E3 looked far from complete with only three levels shown in both the trailer and on the show floor. It was clear even from a single player perspective that the game was no where near ready for a 2011 release. Multiplayer is likely done by an additional team with their own milestones.

Lakitu said:
Morals is too strong a word. Replace it with something that makes sense in the grand scheme of the post, if you would.
Yeah, 'morals' may not be the right word here. I think it's more a case of "RPG developers should develop an RPG, and not be so stupid as to think the addition of a (with 90% certainty) easily forgettable multiplayer will sell more." In the end, developers are businesses, they need to make profits. Adding in something that most likely will have been done better a few months before ME3 even releases (Gears 3 or even Uncharted 3) is not a very smart move.

zlatko

Banned
Idk. I just don't know. If someone announces Skyrim has multiplayer then I'm going to be super pissed I guess is the right word.

RPGs are the only games I willingly buy day one without the need for some multiplayer content. ME3 will be a day one, and it didn't need any multiplayer to get that sale, and I seriously doubt shoe horned toss away multiplayer is going to boost their sales that much.

If they took all those assets for multi and put them into designing MORE single player content, MORE polish, less tunnels of boxes environments, etc then I imagine ME3 would have more lasting appeal and sales in the long run than a multi mode people will forget about a month after its release.

Why bother? Do they really think the droves of RPG nerds want a third person gears shooter out of this? Do they think they can compete with MW3, Gears 3, or BF 3 in that space?

Let me give you a 4-1-1 about this games multi before they even announce it:

* No dedicated servers
* Glitches
* Hosting issues
* Imbalance
* NO beta test

Prove me wrong Bioware. Let's see if you can add this multiplayer and not fall into the trap of those 5 things I just listed and ALL 5 if you want to be competitive.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
zlatko said:
If they took all those assets for multi and put them into designing MORE single player content, MORE polish, less tunnels of boxes environments, etc then I imagine ME3 would have more lasting appeal and sales in the long run than a multi mode people will forget about a month after its release.

EA is a public company. Then need good quarter results not long-lasting appeal. sheesh.

zlatko

Banned
subversus said:
EA is a public company. Then need good quarter results not long-lasting appeal. sheesh.

Not sure if this was intended for a joke or sarcasm, but is this really the case?

Top Bottom