• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3 multiplayer details leak [Update 4: Game Informer Can't Read]

Raide

scar tissue said:
horde mode along with CTF style objectives sounds pretty great, similar to uncharted 2
competitive mp is lame and totally not fitting for the game
BOO-URNS!

I am certainly interested to see how Biotic Powered CTF would actually work.

evangd007

So instead of blending the multiplayer into the campaign, they shoe-horn in some Gears-style MP modes? Why am I not surprised.

You know, it's like developers who make RPGs are ashamed of the fact that they make RPGs.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Heh, despite Bioware's comments on the matter, I knew they were going to add MP in some form to the series. I can think of very few modern shootin' series that haven't implemented some form of online play.

It is possible to add a worthwhile MP mode to a previously single player series, just look at Uncharted 2, but I don't expect much out of this. Mass Effect's combat is so unremarkable, I tolerate it rather than enjoy it, so it's hard to get excited about an online, combat focused mode. Thankfully the single player mode is probably almost content complete by now, so I'm not really concerned about the MP mode diverting attention from it. Whatever, Bioware, I'll try it for the lols.

evangd007 said:
You know, it's like developers who make RPGs are ashamed of the fact that they make RPGs.
They'd rather sell up map packs I guess.

Snuggler said:
It is possibly to add a worthwhile MP mode to a previously single player series, just look at Uncharted 2, but I don't expect much out of this.
Same here. Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood blew past any and all expectations.

Swifty

scar tissue said:
horde mode along with CTF style objectives sounds pretty great, similar to uncharted 2
competitive mp is lame and totally not fitting for the game
BOO-URNS!
Exactly what I was going to post.

Horde with different enemy types like Scions, Geth, Harbingers, Husks, and even Praetorians? Sold!

Deathmatch with a bunch of other Shepherds? Not sold. :\

Wallach

Snuggler said:
The single player mode is probably almost content complete by now, so I'm not really concerned about the MP mode diverting attention from it.

Whatever.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Don't care either way.

evangd007 said:
So instead of blending the multiplayer into the campaign, they shoe-horn in some Gears-style MP modes? Why am I not surprised.

I can only imagine the kind of nuclear meltdown that would occur if they tried to put multiplayer into the story campaign.

Mindlog

evangd007 said:

The last thing in the world I want for this game is a co-op campaign. I don't want some idiot paragon tali-loving Sheppard on my team.

DatBreh

Banned
Jesus Christ, ive never seen so much whining about an optional mode in my life. I think this mode could be fun so ill at least give it a try. If you dont like it just stick to the regular game. People cried about Uncharted multiplayer and it turned out to be damn good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DatBreh said:
Jesus Christ, ive never seen so much whining about an optional mode in my life. I think this mode could be fun so ill at least give it a try. If you dont like it just stick to the regular game.

Most people aren't simply lamenting the addition of an optional mode, but the direction of the series as a whole instead. It's a symptom, not the disease.

Do you follow?

DatBreh

Banned
Snuggler said:
Most people aren't simply lamenting the addition of an optional mode, but the direction of the series as a whole instead. It's a symptom, not the disease.

Do you follow?

So you are saying they are using the multiplayer announcement as another reason to complain about things they dislike about the series as a whole. Great. Thats exactly what we needed, yet another thread for people to complain about how ME didnt turn out the way they envisioned.

I wish this game wasnt made by Bioware, then 75% of these complaints would not exist.

Interfectum

DatBreh said:
Jesus Christ, ive never seen so much whining about an optional mode in my life. I think this mode could be fun so ill at least give it a try. If you dont like it just stick to the regular game. People cried about Uncharted multiplayer and it turned out to be damn good.

"optional" has to be one of the most overused words this gen.

It doesn't matter if this shit is optional or not. It's a symptom of a much greater problem in this industry. Also, if you didn't have fan blow back from these options then next time they might NOT be optional... understand?

Also, I'd rather Bioware spend more time polishing up the single player Mass Effect 3 experience than wasting time on an online mode that very little will use.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DatBreh said:
So you are saying they are using the multiplayer announcement as another reason to complain about things they dislike about the series as a whole. Great. Thats exactly what we needed, yet another thread for people to complain about how ME didnt turn out the way they envisioned.

You say they're complaining, I say they're posting honest commentary on the news being posted. You can still drop in and say "this looks awesome" anytime you want, don't let our conversation discourage you from that.

The_Technomancer said:
The evolution of the Mass Effect franchise is quite literally the story of this generation. Its almost uncanny.
yeah, it's amazing
the first game is a hardcore rpg with no bullshit
the second one throws away 90% of rpg elements, focuses on being a dudebro shooter and adds lots of preorder bonuses and horse armor dlc
the third one shoehorns some unnecessary multiplayer in and adds on-rails sections
smh

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DatBreh said:

I wish this game wasnt made by Bioware, then 75% of these complaints would not exist.
Hmm. Complaining about people complaining seems even less needed here but I could be wrong.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
subversus said:
Ray Muzyka has officially changed BioWare's stance on Mass Effect 3 having multiplayer to "we're not saying, but stay tuned."

That's a big fat "Yes" at this point I think...

Wallach

scar tissue said:
yeah, it's amazing
the first game is a hardcore rpg with no bullshit
the second one throws away 90% of rpg elements, focuses on being a dudebro shooter and adds lots of preorder bonuses and horse armor dlc
the third one shoehorns some unnecessary multiplayer in and adds on-rails sections
smh

First game is a hardcore RPG? Uh, okay.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wallach said:
First game is a hardcore RPG? Uh, okay.

Yeah, I kinda rolled my eyes at that. The first game was a more even blend of exploration/rpg/action than the sequel, but it was never a true hardcore RPG series.

DatBreh

Banned
Interfectum said:
"optional" has to be one of the most overused words this gen.

It doesn't matter if this shit is optional or not. It's a symptom of a much greater problem in this industry. Also, if you didn't have fan blow back from these options then next time they might NOT be optional... understand?

Also, I'd rather Bioware spend more time polishing up the single player Mass Effect 3 experience than wasting time on an online mode that very little will use.

Might not be optional? So you saying they may force multiplayer on you somehow?

People said the same thing about Uncharted 2, and now that multiplayer mode is almost as anticipated as the SP.

I guess used game sales are REALLY killing them, huh? Because that's what this is in response to. It's a clear ploy to:

- Get people to buy Day One
and
- Try and keep people from returning the game once they beat the campaign

Nevermind the quality of the game.
For shame!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
timetokill said:
- Try and keep people from returning the game once they beat the campaign

It'll be interesting to see if it sticks. I guess we'll have to wait until it's announced and honest impressions come out before further judgment, but in many of these cases it's a mode you'll try once or twice and forget about like Dead Space 2 or Bioshock 2.

I guess that means they have a very strong interest in drawing people to the mode.

Zzoram said:
And Mass Effect's transformation from RPG to 3rd person shooter is complete.

Unfortunately, I feel the same. Though only slightly. (I'm an Optimist.)

With all these new combat additions and now this I fear that bioware may be taking Mass Effect away from what made me love the first two. I'm left pondering as to whether or not this will take away from time (and disk space) they could be using to make more side quests or story content. I mean Mass Effect 1 had 67+ Side quests all different and varying most with Dialog. Mass Effect 2 had far less most of which I don't recall having dialog or if they did it was very little.

Bleh. For now I'll remain optimistic and hold out hopes that this game still has that great Mass Effect type of appeal, a decent amount of side quests, and good dialog.

ApolloJoh

Never woulda' thought ME would have MP, lol.

The most I could see is the horde mode but Deathmatch, CTF, KotH, etc. yeah no thanks.

DatBreh

Banned
Snuggler said:
It'll be interesting to see if it sticks. I guess we'll have to wait until it's announced and honest impressions come out before further judgment, but in many of these cases it's a mode you'll try once or twice and forget about like Dead Space 2 or Bioshock 2.

I guess that means they have a very strong interest in drawing people to the mode.

Or keep coming back to like Uncharted 2 or Assassins Creed Brotherhood.

AngelSoldier said:

With all these new combat additions and now this I fear that bioware may be taking Mass Effect away from what made me love the first two. I'm left pondering as to whether or not this will take away from time (and disk space) they could be using to make more side quests or story content. I mean Mass Effect 1 had 67+ Side quests all different and varying most with Dialog. Mass Effect 2 had far less most of which I don't recall having dialog or if they did it was very little.

Bleh. For now I'll remain optimistic and hold out hopes that this game still has that great Mass Effect type of appeal, a decent amount of side quests, and good dialog.

You mean 67 side quests that took place in the same 3 cave/spaceship/hideout templates?

Patryn

So how are they going to handle the power thing? Switching in real time? Or you just have a load-out of powers, just like weapons?

Wallach

Patryn said:
So how are they going to handle the power thing? Switching in real time? Or you just have a load-out of powers, just like weapons?

I'm especially curious about something like Adrenaline Rush. It's the main power of the Soldier class, which is by far the most played, and you'd think would be a default choice even in MP.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
subversus said:
I think we'll have separate sets of powers/weapons in MP as COD does.

That's what I'm thinking, especially with this quote in mind:

Players can choose from 6 different classes, or use a prebuilt one’s. Our source didn’t confirm what those classes were, but we reckon all those from ME2 will be present.

Plus, there will be a leveling system, which will presumably unlock weapons and powers as you progress, so it will very likely have a similar structure to CoD (what a shock).

Jarmel

Banned
Patryn said:

I've actually been thinking about this. Singularity, Charge, Cloak, Tech Drone, and Tech Armor could work easily without much changing. Charge presenting the most problems as that would be horribly overpowered but it can still be tweaked. Adrenaline Rush is indeed the most problematic and Bioware would have to overhaul the class. There would obviously be no pause and play.

The best model for Bioware to follow is Uncharted 2. Shepard can clump and jump now so ME would benefit from that. There would also have to be a much more physical effect in regards to biotics and tech powers.

Mindlog said:
Yup, I need superficial green bars for it to be uber-hardcore-ultra-elite capital R P G. Purity of Genre.
for the record, i like ME2 better than 1
maybe hardcore rpg is an overstatement, but it's definitely an rpg with shooter elements, while the sequel is a shooter with rpg elements

Lothars

scar tissue said:
yeah, it's amazing
the first game is a hardcore rpg with lot's of bullshit
the second one throws away 75% of rpg elements, focuses on being a good shooter and adds lots of preorder bonuses and horse armor dlc
the third one looks to be a great game with the possibility of added multiplayer

Correct for my thoughts.

Edit: and I love both Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Lothars

AngelSoldier said:

Mass Effect 1 had 67 Side Quests, I believe Mass Effect 2 had 52 side quests including branching quests and the like, I think Mass Effect 3 will have a similar number to Mass Effect 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if every EA game going forward is a omni-pronged attack strategy to sell as much DLC as possible. Multiplayer in every game, dlc game modes, map packs, appearance packs, weapon packs, mission packs, character packs, retailer exclusives, preorder exclusives, project ten dollar. No opportunity will be overlooked.

DuckRacer

Ugh, I hate they're adding an optional mode from a separate developer onto ME3. Your face used to be beautiful, BioWare. You used to make games with amazing RPG features like Mass Effect 1, but now you're just pumping out ~dudebro~ shit instead
Jo0RW.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Confidence Man said:
I wouldn't be surprised if every EA game going forward is a omni-pronged attack strategy to sell as much DLC as possible. Multiplayer in every game, dlc game modes, map packs, appearance packs, weapon packs, mission packs, character packs, retailer exclusives, preorder exclusives, project ten dollar. No opportunity will be overlooked.

Yep. Before you know it, there will be insta-win speech checks you can buy for 80 microsauce points.

Why sell someone a cow when you can chop it up and sell him the rump, the ribs, the flank and the round instead.

Lakitu

st5fu
Speedymanic said:
Who honestly can say they ever thought this series would go from one of the most promising RPG's ever to one that is now more shooter than RPG and will, in all likelihood feature a multiplayer mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6yCw29JnQk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsx3JICOnNM

Such promise, such wasted potential. :(

Feel sad watching those videos. What a great game it is and what fantastic ambition they had for the original. Shame to see what Bioware have become.

My ONLY hope for this is that adding the multiplayer component is their way of saying "Alright, we've taken care of the DUDEBRO'S, now we can make the single player component as nerdy as we want".........but it seems like the single player is as dudebro as anything. "Earths shit is fucked up, so I got to shoot/omni slice reapers".

Biowares gonna fuck around and make me change my avatar damnit! :)

Gravijah

Kitschkraft said:
My ONLY hope for this is that adding the multiplayer component is their way of saying "Alright, we've taken care of the DUDEBRO'S, now we can make the single player component as nerdy as we want".........but it seems like the single player is as dudebro as anything. "Earths shit is fucked up, so I got to shoot/omni slice reapers".

Biowares gonna fuck around and make me change my avatar damnit! :)

no goddamn it you changed your name you can't change your avatar

jonah777

This could go either way... but count me in. BioWare are 3 studios deep atm and I'm pretty sure they could handle adding a decent MP feature... even something as simple as a MP "Pinnacle Station". I'm a pretty hardcore ME fan, but I don't understand the backlash MP seems to get from others. :/ Is it so hard to wait until we have more info before writing this off?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gravijah said:
After ME3, I hope Bioware find a way to go back to the sense of wonder and exploration of space.

let's blast them from orbit so they can get a better understand of what constitutes that

J-Rock

Banned
ME4 multiplayer only confirmed?

I kid but this is a bit odd. ME is changing so quickly. Not sure what to think of it all just yet.

Top Bottom