• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

StuBurns

Banned
I don't understand why people care how they compare. If you have a PS3 or 360, and you care about Batman, you've played it. If you care about Batman and don't have a PS3 or 360, you have no choice to get it elsewhere.

Face-offs are for people who own a PS3 and 360 and want to know which version of a game is technically more competent. In this instance, I don't see what consumer advice people are getting.

Ydahs

088BU.jpg
Besides the lighting map on the ground, this is probably the only one which looks noticeably better (IQ, textures) on the WiiU but the compression is so bad that it's hard to make anything out anyway.

Nothing to write home about, considering that the developers probably weren't trying to improve on the graphics to begin with.

scitek

Since the Wii apparently uses run-of-the-mill PC RAM, I wouldn't be surprised if UE3 has streaming problems on it like on PCs.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't understand why people care how they compare. If you have a PS3 or 360, and you care about Batman, you've played it. If you care about Batman and don't have a PS3 or 360, you have no choice to get it elsewhere.

Face-offs are for people who own a PS3 and 360 and want to know which version of a game is technically more competent. In this instance, I don't see what consumer advice people are getting.

These titles have been known for a while...perhaps some people just held off on buying another version and decided to wait for Wii U so they would have something to play on their new toy. I haven't played NG3, TTT2 and AC3 yet. If I was getting a WiiU I might consider picking them up for that system if they were good ports.

Eusis

Can't be true, right? Or pic was just taken right before the textures loaded.
It must be, though it's probably an indicator of taking longer.

Well, I have it on PC, with all the DLC, so I doubt I'd double dip. But then only the more recent titles (Darksiders II and AC3) I'm considering on Wii U versus other platforms depending on how they turned out. Batman was just too late and too expensive, and ME3's even worse due to the lack of ME1&2 and delayed/non-existant future DLC.

Reiko

Banned
Besides the lighting map on the ground, this is probably the only one which looks noticeably better (IQ, textures) on the WiiU but the compression is so bad that it's hard to make anything out anyway.

Nothing to write home about, considering that the developers probably weren't trying to improve on the graphics to begin with.

Kinda wish the shader quality jumps were something like Wreckless on Xbox and Ps2.

wreckless_screen014.jpg

wreckless_screen032.jpg

wreck_screen009.jpg

wreckless_screen012.jpg

It's possible on the Wii U.

dont see that noticeably better on that photo

KevinCow

Banned
Maybe I'm kinda late to this, but I'm a bit confused by the Ninja Gaiden quotes in the OP.

IGN said:
Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look that would’ve been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360’s launch. Still, the framerate stays (mostly) smooth, which is crucial for a game like this. Plus, at this stage it’s nice – if admittedly a novelty – to be playing a Nintendo game in high-definition.

"- Muddy visuals, jaggies, occasional framerate stutters"

1up said:
Early Wii U adopters can rest easy in that this iteration of Ninja Gaiden 3 can visually stand on equal footing with its other console siblings, at least until too many things start happening at once. The framerate noticeable stutters at times when the screen starts to bustle with activity -- an unfortunate circumstance that shows up especially whenever rocket-totting enemies appear. It's weird because sometimes you almost expect everything to chug, but it doesn't. A helicopter boss battle in the second chapter ran fine at times, but would suddenly slow down out of nowhere. It's difficult to pinpoint the cause of these slowdown issues, but they happen. The slower combat speed shows off a visually satisfying combat system, an unexpected outcome, for sure. I wonder if the results will inspire some ambitious YouTube producer to make slowdown videos of other visually stimulating video games.

IGN: Game looks bad even compared to Xbox 360 launch games, but the framerate is fine.
1up: Game looks fine compared to modern Xbox 360 games, but the framerate is awful.

How is it that these two reviews are saying literally the exact opposite things about the game's performance?

Looks like i was right all the time. With the recent ram rumblings, the games themselves.

wiiu is barely on par with the current gen consoles.

And if it struggles with current gen ports, imagine what will happen when the 720/ps4 rolls out.

Bad7667

Looks like i was right all the time. With the recent ram rumblings, the games themselves.

wiiu is barely on par with the current gen consoles.

And if it struggles with current gen ports, imagine what will happen when the 720/ps4 rolls out.
Well there could be another reason. It could be just shitty optimization from the developers. Make a quick, cheap port for a console that has very little install base and hope people buy a year old game at full price.

An example of this is I know my PC is really powerful, much more than the consoles, but when a developer just half-asses a port, all of a sudden my Xbox is out performing my PC.

Another example would be PS3 games that performed horrible compared to the Xbox versions.

It could be that the Wii U is less powerful than the other consoles but that isn't the only reason available. Much more likely is just lazy ports.

Black Ops Wii U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoE2uoFF26w

The guy playing. "Full 60fps HD, Really Smooth"

IQ looks good.

It really is up to developers. HD at last for COD.
Haven't played COD on a console before, but do they ever cut the fps down to accommodate split-screen multiplayer? Also if that's actual 1080 HD while still displaying a different screen for the guy's sister I'm surprised Activision of all people is the only publisher to bring out a better performing console port to the Wii U so far.

Too bad I don't give two shits about COD at all

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Any word on the quality of the Darksiders 2 port? Trying to figure out what I want to pick up tomorrow.

Dunno about the quality of the port, but I can't in good conscience let you pick up Darksiders II for $60. I did (for PS3), and although it's not the worst game ever, it really isn't good enough to warrant a full price purchase.

urfe

Some of those shots are obviously worse on the WiiU, but most I can't tell a difference.

It'd come down to frame rate for me.

(not like I have an interest in any of these games, but technically it'd come down to frame rate)

Instro

Dunno about the quality of the port, but I can't in good conscience let you pick up Darksiders II for $60. I did (for PS3), and although it's not the worst game ever, it really isn't good enough to warrant a full price purchase.

Oh that's right, its a full price port isn't it. I'll just leave that for a Steam sale then.

Margalis

Banned
Oddly enough, that cut-scene is pre-rendered on PS360 and PC.

Wii U FMV playback has limits on number of dark pixels confirmed!

someone else said:
Maybe they felt like they actually had the power and the time to do realtime cutscenes.

Different versions of RE4 were all over the place in terms of cutscene presentation. On the Wii version (and I think GC) they were realtime and they reflected your costume, while on the PS2 they were FMV and didn't reflect the custom costumes. (I might be remembering this a bit wrong)

What did the 360 version do for cutscenes if you used a DLC skin? Also this version has funky new armor, maybe given that they figured it was worth biting the bullet and doing it real time rather than re-rendering it with new armor.

I love the idea that people are comparing shadow resolution when at least one of the two things being compared is FMV. Pretty good microcosm of quality GAF analysis.

Reiko

Banned
Gemüsepizza;44470978 said:
Come on, really? This video is of poor quality, it does not show us much about the image quality of the game on Wii U, and we still don't know the native rendering resolution.

720p

Are you shocked? Higher native res than current consoles & 60fps!

Ein Bear

Not that I don't belive you or anything, but you got a source?

If COD actually runs at 720p 60fps on the Wii U, then I think that says everything about the power of the hardware. They've not managed to pull that off on PS360, and have been working on their tech for years.

720p

Are you shocked? Higher native res than current consoles & 60fps!

Where are you getting this information from? Because you can set the video on 720p? Or from what you see on the screen? The video quality is too bad to identify the native rendering resolution.

Reiko

Banned
Gemüsepizza;44471054 said:
Where are you getting this information from? Because you can set the video on 720p? Or from what you see on the screen? The video quality is too bad to identify the native rendering resolution.

Didn't Activision already comment on the Wii U port being HD... But not 1080p.

Why is this a shock?

Ydahs

I wouldn't be surprised if the native resolution was at 600p or whatever the last gen (hah) consoles are running it at. I wouldn't really expect Activision to put much effort in a CoD launch title. It does look like it's running smoothly though so that's a bonus.

The fact that he was playing on screen while his sister was playing on the gamepad at the same time is a killer feature though. One of the best utilizations of the pad so far.

KurowaSan

more like 720i if that video is the ultimate truth.

Seriously, don't read too much into what that guy says. Could be 1280x720p? maybe... but that video is definitely not proving that
and I wouldn't expect much more than the native 880x720 resolution the ps360 versions are sporting.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
From another thread:

Scribblenauts Unlimited and Rayman Legends are the only known retail games to run at native 1080p.

I would assume most games do not run at native 1080p. Pushing that many pixels is going to be a challenge. I definitely would not expect BLOPS 2 to be running natively at 1080p on the WiiU.

Top Bottom