• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online Announced, F2P Mech Sim, First Person, Releasing Summer 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

New concept art:

Mech%20Hanger%20Concept.jpg

Dropship%20Concept.jpg

Lime

New Screenshot from GDC:

uPG6.png

Look at that Jenner. The translation from concept art to 3d model is pretty impressive and faithful, imo.

Orayn

TONS of new info about controls, HUD, and general gameplay.

Mech Operations

Controlling a BattleMech is not unlike controlling a tank. The following is a list of locomotive directions and abilities of a BattleMech.

• Forward
  • Backward
  • Turn Left
  • Turn Right
  • Pivot
  • Full Stop

In addition to the location based control, the BattleMech also encompasses torso-twist capabilities which essentially equate the upper actuated torso into a turret with a limited turn angle. Torso-twist angles, on the horizontal plane, vary from BattleMech to BattleMech due to construction constraints and the speed, at which the torso can twist, also varies from BattleMech to BattleMech depending on their tonnage and engine capacity.

The BattleMech is also capable of pitch angles for up and down targeting and sighting. The amount of pitch varies from chassis to chassis as well.

Because MechWarrior Online is more simulation than arcade, one of the more challenging things to learn is how to use throttle. There is no sprint/run button for MW:O. Once a throttle level has been chosen, the BattleMech moves forward at that speed until throttle is reduced. This is a little more confusing than your typical first-person shooter.

The last movement capability of a BattleMech is the arm/side appendages. The arms of a BattleMech can be moved independently of the BattleMech torso. The amount of movement depends on the BattleMech’s construction. For example, a Centurion would be able to move further than a Jenner due to the way they are built.

Controls

The controls for a BattleMech are going to be the biggest learning curve in the game. It may take a few matches to get used to fluidly controlling how a BattleMech is able to traverse the terrain.

While we’re not going to lay out every control in the game, we do want to give you the basic mechanics involved.

Forward/Backward Movement

xoiWT.png

This movement is achieved by the use of throttle. Throttle controls the forward and backward movement of a BattleMech. To make the BattleMech move forward, throttle must be set at a positive value on the throttle indicator. If throttle is set to neutral or 0, the BattleMech will come to a halt. If throttle is set to a negative value, the BattleMech starts walking backwards.

The player presses W to throttle up; making the BattleMech walk forward. The player presses S to throttle down; making the BattleMech slow down or reverse.

Turning Left and Right

ngr5F.png

This movement is achieved by pressing A or D on the keyboard.

Pressing the A key turns the entire BattleMech to the left.

Pressing the D key turns the entire BattleMech to the right.

Torso Twist Left and Right

UWnkh.png

This is done by sliding the mouse left or right respectively.

Sliding the mouse to the left twists the BattleMech torso to the left.

Sliding the mouse to the right twists the BattleMech torso to the right.

Pitch Up and Down

nApbX.png

To change the pitch of the BattleMech torso, the player moves the mouse up and down respectively.

Sliding the mouse forward makes the BattleMech pitch downward.

Sliding the mouse backward makes the BattleMech pitch upward.

The pitch direction can be inverted in the control options layout and mapping menu found in the Options screen.

hrNcB.png

Pressing the T key will make a BattleMech target the nearest enemy within line of sight. Pressing T repeatedly will make the BattleMech cycle between any targets that are visible.

pNQ4E.png

Two specialized keys provide a convenient way of helping to keep a BattleMech under control. The X key will bring a BattleMech to a complete stop whether it is travelling forward or backward. It essentially zeros the current throttle level.

Pressing the C key will auto center the torso to the leg rotation. This is a convenient way to re-center the player’s view if they become disoriented.

MTz9k.png

The 1-6 keys are used for weapon groups. Weapon groups or clusters of weapons can be assigned to each key so not all weapons fire at once. Properly setting up weapon groups is paramount to maintaining the BattleMech’s heat management operations.

Once the player has assigned weapon groups, they can cycle which weapons are fired when each key is pressed. Imagine if you will, a series of Medium Lasers assigned to keys 1-3. Tapping each key in succession with a slight pause between each will allow a player to continuously fire Medium Lasers while keeping heat levels at a manageable level.

cNRQb.jpg

Orayn

Individual arm movement? Oh my. Yes.

Yeah, I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around how we're going to control them. Maybe by using the mouse while holding down a modifier key? Point of view hat on a joystick?

The way the post written, it sounds like your arms are always aimed centerline unless you manually point them somewhere else.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around how we're going to control them. Maybe by using the mouse while holding down a modifier key? Point of view hat on a joystick?

The way the post written, it sounds like your arms are always aimed centerline unless you manually point them somewhere else.

Arms move first, with torso following a bit slower IE if you aim somewhere and fire right away, weapons mounted on torso will not fire where you intended.
Holding down "pilot look" allows you aim without rotating torso.
This is how it sounded to me.

Oh and it also sounds like one should group arm and torso mounted weapons to different groups to avoid wasted shots.

EDIT other than arms being independent from torso, the control scheme is pretty much what i used in MW4 (jump jets on spacebar).

Orayn

Arms move first, with torso following a bit slower IE if you aim somewhere and fire right away, weapons mounted on torso will not fire where you intended.
Holding down "pilot look" allows you aim without rotating torso.
This is how it sounded to me.

Oh and it also sounds like one should group arm and torso mounted weapons to different groups to avoid wasted shots.

EDIT other than arms being independent from torso, the control scheme is pretty much what i used in MW4 (jump jets on spacebar).

Oh, so the X from your arms moves directly with your mouse, with your torso and the rest of the your HUD catching up after it? Makes sense, and also leads to a neat hierarchy of aiming/turning speeds. It even effectively gives you a movable reticle like Steel Battalion or MechWarrior 3!

Ebris

This is looking and sounding so goooood.

God, I thought 2011 couldn't have been topped. 2012 is looking more and more like it could very easily.

Woorloog

Banned
Awesome! We need to see this in action soon!
The lasers reminded me of MW4 pulse lasers.. i dearly hope the pulse lasers work and look correctly this time, ie many short beams in quick succession (think it as laser machine gun) instead of that stupid "beam made from Star Wars laser bolts" in MW4...

Woorloog

Banned

Sounds good.

Odd but i'm not sure i like MechLab. The problem is that it allows min-maxing... which in MW4 ended up in jump sniping and alpha striking with maximum number of heaviest possible weapons. Now i know that Piranha is taking steps to avoid this but still...
I'd rather see people taking a mech and making the best possible use of its weapons and sticking more to team playing and role warfare. Besides, that way people would use stuff like small lasers and machine guns, with MechLab people remove those and add the leftover weight to armor or something like that.
If Mechlab must be in, please, please make customization cost enough so that you cannot afford tweaking stuff for every single match. Would be closer to canon anyway that way, non-Omnis are not simple to modify. Of course, once Omnis are in (in a couple of years, once the clans invade), customization becomes simpler, this is off-set by the fact Omnis are expensive.
Alternatively smaller weapons should be more efficient, ie small laser generates far less heat compared to its damage than medium laser and medium laser should be more efficient than large laser, et cetera.

Orayn

Yeah, what we've heard from Piranha has made it sound like non-omni 'Mechs will have fixed variants, so customization on those will probably be limited if it's available at all.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, what we've heard from Piranha has made it sound like non-omni 'Mechs will have fixed variants, so customization on those will probably be limited if it's available at all.

Escapist magazine clearly indicates the MechLab is in.

Orayn

Specific variants are in as well, to the point where they're integrated into the skill tree system. Maybe Omnis have the traditional MechLab, while others use something like a more restrictive version of MW4's?

Woorloog

Banned
Specific variants are in as well, to the point where they're integrated into the skill tree system. Maybe Omnis have the traditional MechLab, while others use something like a more restrictive version of MW4's?

Oh. I have managed to miss that somehow.
Maybe this will work out well. And of course this game's nature as pseudo-MMO and F2P means it will be patched relatively often (right? Hopefully it will be) so...

sp3000

Looks good except for the Cryengine 3 postmsaa filter.

I'll post a view shots from MWLL for comparison. HUD is quite similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom