• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Opiate said:
The Wii needs to outsell the PS3 3:1 or more, I expect, consistently, to force companies to make games for it. That isn't happening, and it won't happen soon.

The third party support it has already acquired likely isn't going anywhere, but bringing in more at this point will be a very hard sell. Yakuza on PS3 just sold better than any third party Wii game's first week in over a year. Third parties notice these things.

Wii has nearly a 5 million plus lead on PS3. IMO the chief competition is with the handhelds. PS3 will fall right back after RE5.

Edit- to further elaborate, Wii was basically doing what you said had to be done (outselling PS3 3-1) from 2006 until two months ago. So either your hypothesis is correct and 3rd party support should be drastically favoring Wii (since PS3 pulling even with Wii has only been happening for weeks), or that measure isn't really what 3rd parties have been using.

Opiate

schuelma said:
Wii has nearly a 5 million plus lead on PS3. IMO the chief competition is with the handhelds. PS3 will fall right back after RE5.

Agreed, I didn't really mean to imply otherwise. It was intended more as an example than a realistic comparison.

There's nothing coming for PS3 after RE5, right? That we know of? Some mid level games like PES.

schuelma

AranhaHunter said:
Don't you mean after FFXIII Demo ACC Bundle?

Well I expect it to fall for the month and a half between RE5 and the demo, but yeah I am sure there will be a nice spike for that.

schuelma

Opiate said:
There's nothing coming for PS3 after RE5, right? That we know of? Some mid level games like PES.

Just the FF13 demo

Segata Sanshiro said:
The bottom line is this: very few people that actually *like* video games would take the Wii's last six months of software over *either* of the other two systems, all things being equal.

This turn of events is entirely Nintendo's fault for being complacent and just trying to coast, and as a Wii owner, I sincerely hope this is a wake-up call for them to smarten the fuck up, because this shit? It's getting fucking ridiculous over here.

QFT. I don't shed a tear for this. Fuck I'm glad this happened. 2007 through early 2008 had amazing Nintendo support. Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Super Smash, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem and Warioware? Not to mention nearly all of those titles were respectable evolutionary entries to their respected series.

After that? A gimped entry to Mario Kart, waiting all the way to Autumn for a pretty 2D game with gameplay as fun and interesting as a puddle and an interesting looking IP that turned out to be a disaster both in retail, to critics, and to gamers. Then to the holiday season with an addition to a series that hardly evolved it neither gameplay wise or even graphically, and an addition to the casual game franchise that was near the definition of mediocrity.

They can't honestly be wondering why this is happening. Nintendo arrogantly pulled back their support thinking that third parties will flock toward the console without thinking of the consequences of their risk. When your by far your biggest highlight of the year for third parties was a spin-off to a series that has whored itself out so much to the point where it's a waking STD you know that your in for some trouble.

And here we are again this year with some minor improvements in terms of third party games coming to the consoles. We have a 2D beauty that is a continuation of a spritual series in which the last game failed to break the 100k mark, a mainline series to that same whored series, a strange 3D platformer, and a mainline addition to one of the biggest series to ever hit Japan, the problem is that it may not even make the Q4 2009 deadline.

Nintendo dug this hole themselves. And it's time to start refilling it in with dirt and hope that there is a possibility for some plants to grow. All I can say is that they are very lucky that after Resident Evil 5 they most likely don't have anymore significant competition coming this year...from what we know.

schuelma said:
Just the FF13 demo

Are people really going to buy such an expensive console for a demo? I can understand it moving software but hardware?

donny2112

Opiate said:
Yakuza on PS3 just sold better than any third party Wii game's first week in over a year. Third parties notice these things.

Default response (and it's still valid):
Have third-parties released anything on the Wii in the past year as meaningful as Yakuza 3 in Japan?

Edit:
Looking at all the third-party Wii releases over the past year in Japan that we have some sales data for, the only one that comes close is Tales of Symphonia: DotNW.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Are people really going to buy such an expensive console for a demo?

Yes. IIRC, there'll even be a PS3 bundle with Advent Children Complete + FFXIII demo available.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
d+pad said:
No shit. As a long-time (20+ years) gamer and Wii owner, I'm completely pissed at Nintendo for their actions of the past year. Where the fuck are the games?!?! And if they can't make them on their own, why don't they hire people - or buy companies - that can? Honestly, it makes no sense.

The funny thing about this comment is that, even after the Excitebots' unveiling lately, there are more Wii first party games announced for Japan than for North America (scroll down to page 9), and yet NCL is the one struggling to keep console sales afloat. They also had, recently, Wario Land: Shake It, Fatal Frame 4, Captain Rainbow, Another Code R, and Disaster: Day of Crisis, all of which are considered "hardcore" games.

It's not a problem of releasing titles, but one of releasing the correct ones that stimulate the market.

schuelma

Regulus Tera said:
The funny thing about this comment is that, even after the recent NoA announcement, there are more Wii first party games announced for Japan than for North America (scroll down to page 9), and yet NCL is the one struggling to keep console sales afloat. They also had, recently, Wario Land: Shake It, Fatal Frame 4, Captain Rainbow, Another Code R, and Disaster: Day of Crisis, all of which are considered "hardcore" games.

It's not a problem of releasing titles, but one of releasing the correct ones that stimulate the market.

Reggie is damn lucky that apparently the U.S has a lot longer of an attention span for Wii Sports and Wii Fit. You're absolutely correct- for all the deserved criticism of Nintendo Japan, NoA is like ten times worse.

Opiate

donny2112 said:
Default response (and it's still valid):
Have third-parties released anything on the Wii in the past year as meaningful as Yakuza 3 in Japan?

I agree as a matter of principle.

But in reality, principle is not relevant. Fairly clearly, third parties aren't interested in hypotheticals, even if they may seem like strong bets. Third parties like hard numbers, and right now, there are hard numbers showing major third party efforts selling well on PS3 and no such corollary for Wii.

It's not "fair," but business isn't fair.

markatisu

schuelma said:
Reggie is damn lucky that apparently the U.S has a lot longer of an attention span for Wii Sports and Wii Fit. You're absolutely correct- for all the deserved criticism of Nintendo Japan, NoA is like ten times worse.

Yeah but NoA has 3rd parties to keep that attention span diverted, but as sales of Wii Fit, Mario Kart show the US does not need the diversion. Once again Nintendo does not need the 3rd parties but in the US its benefiting from having them (whether we hardcorezzzz like the games or not)

NoA is 10x worse but is feeling none of the effects of it
But in reality, principle is not relevant. Fairly clearly, third parties aren't interested in hypotheticals, even if they may seem like strong bets. Third parties like hard numbers, and right now, there are hard numbers showing major third party efforts selling well on PS3 and no such corollary for Wii.

Would that not require major 3rd party efforts? You cannot say something is not producing results when that thing is not released can you?

schuelma

Opiate said:

We should get a better sense of things later this year when legitimately high profile stuff comes.

(I'd add for the sake of discussion that Taiko Wii will probably hit 500K in the next couple of months, and at the moment is already higher than any other PS3 game aside from MGS4).

Opiate said:

I think the major "tests" for the Wii will be MHG and MH3.

markatisu

AranhaHunter said:

MH3 more so, Capcom has already said MH3 is what has the pressure on it not MHG

MHG is more likely to feel the waters and see how best to market MH3

schuelma

AranhaHunter said:

I don't think there is much chance of Monster Hunter failing- it has a rabid fanbase and from Inafune's comments Capcom is going to push it like crazy. I think the test is whether it spurs a hardware bump.

donny2112

Opiate said:
Third parties like hard numbers, and right now, there are hard numbers showing major third party efforts selling well on PS3 and no such corollary for Wii.

So what you're saying is that if third-parties wanted to feel good about Wii's ability to sell their software, they should've have fertilized the market with significant games a long time ago, so that more general-type software would be able to grow now. I think I've read that somewhere before. :p

Also, how exactly are third-party PS2 big-sellers not cracking 400K (outside of MGS4 and soon Yakuza 3) on the PS3 showing third-parties that their efforts are selling "well"?

Jasoncheng said:
HardWare numbers
Wii 18000
PS3 36100
X360 13100

Crisis averted
until the real numbers come out and show something significantly different
. :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
schuelma said:
I don't think there is much chance of Monster Hunter failing- it has a rabid fanbase and from Inafune's comments Capcom is going to push it like crazy. I think the test is whether it spurs a hardware bump.

They could announce a PSP port before they release the Wii version. :lol

schuelma

markatisu said:
18k would be a more normal and expected result given the 20k leveling we are seeing

Yes makes a lot more sense.

Brofist

markatisu said:
MH3 more so, Capcom has already said MH3 is what has the pressure on it not MHG

MHG is more likely to feel the waters and see how best to market MH3

Even if it disappoints in sales, a PSP version would more than make up for it.

Linkup said:
It's as if MH3, SW3, and DQX have all been canceled and move to the PSP.

SW3 and MH3 are going to be whored out all over the place (and yes, that includes the PSP :p) anyway.

And about the current 'Nintendo sucks' discussion - allow me to add that I agree they dropped the ball massively.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pureauthor said:
And about the current 'Nintendo sucks' discussion - allow me to add that I agree they dropped the ball massively.

For the sake of discussion, may I ask how, when talking especifically about Japan?

donny2112

schuelma said:
Remind me, how close have these been lately?

Previous week.

thedrill:
DSi 42000
DSL 10000
Wii 16900
PS3 16100
PS2 4700
PSP 30400
X360 23200

Actual:
DSi 41,839
DS Lite 9,975
Wii 16,973
PS3 16,149
PS2 5,029
PSP 29,552
Xbox 360 25,334

schuelma

donny2112 said:
Previous week.

thedrill:
DSi 42000
DSL 10000
Wii 16900
PS3 16100
PS2 4700
PSP 30400
X360 23200

Actual:
DSi 41,839
DS Lite 9,975
Wii 16,973
PS3 16,149
PS2 5,029
PSP 29,552
Xbox 360 25,334

Yeah just saw that...I'll say that 18K makes a lot more sense than 12K..

Regulus Tera said:
The funny thing about this comment is that, even after the Excitebots' unveiling lately, there are more Wii first party games announced for Japan than for North America (scroll down to page 9), and yet NCL is the one struggling to keep console sales afloat. They also had, recently, Wario Land: Shake It, Fatal Frame 4, Captain Rainbow, Another Code R, and Disaster: Day of Crisis, all of which are considered "hardcore" games.

You can't sell systems on niche games.

Minsc

Gold Member
schuelma said:
Yeah just saw that...I'll say that 18K makes a lot more sense than 12K..

When is the latest Famitsu numbers are usually confirmed, friday? It wouldn't be completely out of the question for the two trackers to have a large discrepancy, it's happened before.

Linkup

Opiate said:
The third party support it has already acquired likely isn't going anywhere, but bringing in more at this point will be a very hard sell. Yakuza on PS3 just sold better than any third party Wii game's first week in over a year. Third parties notice these things.

Yakuza 3 on PS3 also cost more than any third party Wii game for the past year. Well known franchises have sold well on wii and ps3? Amazing.

Pureauthor said:
SW3 and MH3 are going to be whored out all over the place (and yes, that includes the PSP :p) anyway.

Are we talking about what games you wish were exclusive/not exclusive on certain systems or games that will likely sell? Is FF13 irrelevant now that it's coming to 360? Multiple platform sales don't register with MC?

Regulus Tera said:
That's pretty much it and I agree, but you can't fault NCL for not releasing "enough games", in any case.

The secret to the quanity vs quality debate is both. You need a significant amount of quality titles to push your console or get recognized as a publisher, as well as have a few of those niche games here and there to draw in the smaller but more software hungry markets.

Asherdude

Linkup said:
Are we talking about what games you wish were exclusive/not exclusive on certain systems or games that will likely sell? Is FF13 irrelevant now that it's coming to 360? Multiple platform sales don't register with MC?
I thought that FF13 was still exclusive to the PS3 in Japan.

Linkup said:

I'm saying that I don't believe that people are going to go out of their way to buy a Wii for SW3 or MH3, especially if they already own a system that they believe (probably justifiably so) that the aforementioned games are going to end up on anyway.

schuelma

Star Ocean fell like a rock, seems like even more than the usual RPG.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:
Star Ocean fell like a rock, seems like even more than the usual RPG.
I mentioned this last week! Demand dropped when supply wasn't available and it permanently stunted growth. This is really rough for Star Ocean.

Supposing it's first week was 66% of total sales-- which I THOUGHT was conservative for SO-- that's a little disappointing. But I didn't think demand would be stunted like that. So stupid.

JudgeN

Wonder if Ryu ga Gotoku 3 will hit 500k, 372k has to be great sales assuming they reused the Kenzan engine for that game.

d+pad

Regulus Tera said:
That's pretty much it and I agree, but you can't fault NCL for not releasing "enough games", in any case.

Ah, but you can say they failed to promote a lot of the games they did release, can you not?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
From the other thread:

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Hardware

DSL 11000
DSi 41000
PSP 40000
Wii 22000
PS3 35000
PS2 5700
360 13000

Wii went up in both, I believe. Wonder what caused the bump?

*Marvels at the turnaround in Wii fortune compared to the 12K and falling doom scenario from earlier*

Oh wow.

Jokeropia

Schuelma and others took care of most of the argument, I'm just gonna make two short comments.
goompapa said:
As for your comment about DS software still selling 3 to 1 to PSP software. No sh1t, there are also alot of software released for the DS than the PSP.
Why do you think more software are released for the DS? Maybe because DS has much better software sales?
goompapa said:
And what's more, a lot of those sales are still made up from those evergreen titles Nintendo released long time ago.
Not really. Animal Crossing is the top old evergreen game this week at #39.

Top Bottom