• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/30 - 04/05

jett

D-Member
BishopLamont said:
Shows how much you know about sales-age.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355837

Wii Fit w/ Balance Board (WII) 644K
Street Fighter IV* (360) 446K
Street Fighter IV* (PS3) 403K
Wii Play w/ Remote (WII) 386K
Killzone 2 (PS3) 323K
Wii Mario Kart with wheel (WII) 263K
Call of Duty: World at War* (360) 193K
Mario Kart DS (NDS) 145K
New Super Mario Bros (NDS) 144K
Guitar Hero World Tour* (WII) 136K

More than you, apparently.

jett

D-Member
Heh when looking at the monthly sales like that it gives off the impression that the PS3 is doing awesome. :p

Too bad 99% of games take a massive nosedive afte the first week.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Disgaea 2, a port, is nearing the sales of Disgaea 3, a new game.
Disgaea 3 port to PSP incoming

tetrisgrammaton said:
anyone wanna guess what Muramasa will do?

well its been doing well on amazon (i know not the best indicator) for quite a while and got very good marks in famitsu, i'm guessing should do at least 60k first week

near

Gold Member
30. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)

Hot damn! You've got legs. :p

frankie_baby said:
well its been doing well on amazon (i know not the best indicator) for quite a while and got very good marks in famitsu, i'm guessing should do at least 60k first week

I think 60k first week is asking for too much. Though it may do a little more than that in a few weeks.

markatisu

jett said:
Eh? The stuff that is on the US rankings is the same crap consisted of Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart Wii.

If you look at the US NPD Top 20 you would see there are more than those 3 games for Wii and that they are all third party

Or do 500k-1m in sales for Lego Star Wars, Shaun White Snowboading, Call of Duty WaW, Guitar Hero World Tour over the last 3 months suddenly not count as games?

Top 10 in the US does not mean much with the Wii, most of its big sellers might hit the Top 8-10 and then sell throughout the year in spots 8-30

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think that obviously a steady stream of good/great games helps the PS3. To me it's all in pricing. I know Japan has a slant towards Sony/Nintendo but it still baffles me how the most expensive system can outsell or compete these days. Brand loyalty or whatever, I always find that facet fascinating.

gkryhewy

Japan isn't buying anything.

Thank Jebus the NA market is so huge, or a bunch of these companies would be in serious trouble between the Euro/Pound collapsing and the Japanese market running on fumes.

Wollan said:
I'm surprised that Yakuza 3 beat RE5 even with the latter being mp.

RE5 did beat it. That's just the PS3 version you quoted, look at the chart again, if you add the 360 version it's well over 500k.

Tideas

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
I think that obviously a steady stream of good/great games helps the PS3. To me it's all in pricing. I know Japan has a slant towards Sony/Nintendo but it still baffles me how the most expensive system can outsell or compete these days. Brand loyalty or whatever, I always find that facet fascinating.

I don't think it's brand loyalty. I think in the end, it's just the games. If people see something they want to play, and don't have the system, they will buy it.

Wollan

Arpharmd B said:
RE5 did beat it. That's just the PS3 version you quoted, look at the chart again, if you add the 360 version it's well over 500k.
I mean, just against the PS3 version. Even if RE5 was shared I still didn't imagine Yakuza 3 to be bigger.

Osuwari said:
M&L 3 is doing quite good. that reminds me i have to beat the first 2 one of these days...

concerning the wii, has a market leading console dropped this bad before?
Well, we don't have good data for all market leading consoles. However, other than the late 2000 ultra-shortages, PS2 never did (well, until recently). Just scrolling through the old data, though, here are some of its weakest periods, where it was around/below 30K for months at a time.

2003-08-18

2004-08-16

It's worth noting there was a big spike right after the above period, which helps explain the lowness of those last few weeks.

It's not until 2005 and 2006 that we start seeing PS2 hang around 20K for extended periods.
2005-08-29

2006-05-08

markatisu said:
The more valid question would be has a market leader had this long of a software drought
I can think of at least once: Wii last year. Mario Kart Wii was huge in February, two 200K games released in June, and then the next biggie was Wii Music in October.
BishopLamont said:
People who don't care about FFXIII?
Right. Even for games which are monstrously popular, the vast majority of the userbase doesn't buy them. At least, not new.
Moor-Angol said:
Mario & Luigi 3 has become the top seller game in 2009 (correct me if i'm wrong)
Right. Here's a list of sales for this year based on the combined Top 30s where it's #2, but since it's based on the latest official Famitsu numbers it's a bit behind what we know to be the case.

markatisu

I can think of at least once: Wii last year. Mario Kart Wii was huge in February, two 200K games released in June, and then the next biggie was Wii Music in October.

Well this year is not trending too far off (pattern wise not sales wise) that since Mario Tennis and Pikmin did "well" earlier this year and we found out today Wii Sports Resort is coming in June to Japan and we have Monster Hunter G (for what its worth) coming shortly

October would probably see the rumored Wii Fit + and some other M+ or Nintendo games right before any holiday releases.

Guess there is some odd method to Nintendo's decisions if we are using last year as a guide

Neomoto

The Wii really needs some killer apps, AC & Wii Music didn't do much and before those 2 it was a good while before a big hit released. And with not one big 3rd party game since.. it's not surprising. I hope Wii Sports Resort + MH 3 and such will jumpstart Wii again. DS also can use a new multi-million selling hit (not that it needs it or anything, but still).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What's the word on Winning Post PS3 anyway? I've always wanted to try one of those horse racing sims.

d+pad

Neomoto said:
The Wii really needs some killer apps, AC & Wii Music didn't do much and before those 2 it was a good while before a big hit released. And with not one big 3rd party game since.. it's not surprising. I hope Wii Sports Resort + MH 3 and such will jumpstart Wii again. DS also can use a new multi-million selling hit (not that it needs it or anything, but still).

First of all, love the avatar :)

Second: I think the DS has had plenty of hits as of late - RT Gold, Girls Mode, M&L RPG 3, among others. And when DQ9 hits in a few months - watch out!

Wii certainly is in an awkward spot right now, but I have a feeling it's about to come out of the doldrums. Monster Hunter G, Wii Sports Resort, Monster Hunter 3 all in a few months' time, plus it looks like we'll be seeing Crystal Bearers, a new DQ: Swords and a Wii Fit update sometime this year, along with the smaller titles NOJ premiered at its autumn conference and whatever is announced at E3 and TGS.

Granted, some or all of those may fail to ignite Wii-owners' interest, or they may cause sales spikes that recede in-between releases (like we're seeing now). Still, I think it's safe to say it won't be sitting at 20K for the entire rest of the year :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
d+pad said:
Second: I think the DS has had plenty of hits as of late - RT Gold, Girls Mode, M&L RPG 3, among others. And when DQ9 hits in a few months - watch out!

I pulled a list of all DS games since last summer, sorted by lifetime sales descending, pruned to good selling titles (>200k; not that a title below that can't be a success by any means, but we're talking hits). I have bolded titles since November ("as of late" being reasonably in the last six calendar months). I have underlined 2009 titles:

1. Pokemon Platinum, September, 2.3 million (rounded down to nearest 100k)
2. RT Gold, July, 1.6 million
3. DQV, July, 1.1 million
4. Kirby, November, 1.0 million
5. Girls Mode, October, 700k
6. Layton 3, November, 700k
7. Mario and Luigi RPG 3, February, 400k
8. Chrono Trigger, November, 400k
9. Band Bros DX, June, 400k
10. Magic Academy Adventure Animal Crossing Ripoff, November, 300k
11. Derby Stallion DS, June, 200k
12. Inazuma Eleven, August, 200k
13. Fire Emblem, August, 200k
14. PENGUIN GAME, December, 200k
15. Momotarou Dentetsu 20th, December, 200k
16. Tales of Hearts (Combined), December, 200k

I don't think the DS needs a hit soon, but it's fair to say that there's not much action in 2009 besides M&L3. Most of the "as of late hits" have been minor hits. The last three breakout hits were really RT Gold, Girls Mode, and Mario and Luigi 3. If you want to move further down the cutoff point, 4 2009 titles broke 100k-M&L, Echoes of Time, SRWK, and 7th Dragon. Devil Survivor is close. Rittai Picross is at 60k. Everything else is below 60k.

You're right though--hits are coming down the pipe. The biggest hit is coming down the pipe, really.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
10. Magic Academy Adventure Animal Crossing Ripoff, November, 300k

Are you calling it a ripoff because it's an AC clone, because it's poorly executed, or for some other reason?

I was thinking about getting this, since AC is mostly stagnant and it'd be nice to see someone try to really expand on the original concept. I haven't kept up on if it's reviewed well (compared to AC), though.

Stumpokapow said:
If you want to move further down the cutoff point, 4 2009 titles broke 100k-M&L, Echoes of Time, SRWK, and 7th Dragon. Devil Survivor is close. Rittai Picross is at 60k. Everything else is below 60k.

Yeah, the DS has seen major declines basically since Nintendo "shifted" development to the Wii. I think the majority of Japan's overall video game decline in 2008 was probably due to just the decline in DS sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Are you calling it a ripoff because it's an AC clone, because it's poorly executed, or for some other reason?

I was thinking about getting this, since AC is mostly stagnant and it'd be nice to see someone try to really expand on the original concept. I haven't kept up on if it's reviewed well (compared to AC), though.

I guess ripoff has a negative context to it. No, I just meant that it was a clone. I meant ripoff in an endearing way. I haven't played it to know! :p

Minsc

Gold Member
PantherLotus said:
I hate this time of the year for sales age. Sooo boring.

The elephant in the corner should be good for at least a few threads, and a dozen pages or two.

donny2112 said:

It's a ripoff and doesn't expand at all (or very lightly). It does have magic/incantations you can perform, but it doesn't add much.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
nextgeneration said:
DSi = 53,680
PSP = 48,118
PS3 = 20,362
Wii = 15,525
DS Lite = 8,729
Xbox 360 = 7,812
PS2 = 5,394
it is good to see the 360 doing 7,812. I am very happy that the PS3 did 20,362. maybe we will see more HD games from Japan

jeremy1456

nextgeneration said:
DSi = 53,680
PSP = 48,118

PS3 = 20,362
Wii = 15,525
DS Lite = 8,729
Xbox 360 = 7,812
PS2 = 5,394

What, is this like the first week in the last two years that Sony didn't release a new PSP color?

Narcosis said:
But if I could speak/read Japanese I'd sell my US Wii and get a Japanese one so maybe, just maybe I might have a chance to play Fragile, Fatal Frame, Disaster and whatever else we're never gonna see localized.

Besides those niche games and Tatsunoko vs Capcom what else is there on the Wii in Japan that is worthwhile that hasn't been released in American shores?

There are far more games that appeal to the Western audience, in a wide range dilemma, on the Wii then in Japan.

jeremy1456

AranhaHunter said:
According to jeremy, that is the case.

:lol

No no, come on guys. I'm just poking fun at the very idea of releasing new colors. The PSP is just an easy target. On the other hand, the DS is a very easy target when speaking of special edition units.

Top Bottom