• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19

donny2112

justchris said:
Online play and DLC seems to be less popular in Japan than in the west by a pretty significant margin.

*scratch*

I'm sorry. I couldn't hear what you said over the piles of money made by DLC in Idolm@ster.

Busaiku

I wonder if Mario & Luigi will be able to make it to 1 million.
Sure it's been dropping, but the drops haven't been too drastic, and I think Golden Week could probably help drive it up and stabilize it too.

In any case, it certainly benefitted from the expanded userbase.

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
Serious question: If RE5 was remade to use RE4 controls, ignoring the graphical difference, how would you rate the core game between RE4 and RE5?

I think RE4 would still come out on top for me overall, but it's really a tough call. RE5 is a bit more playable than RE4 these days ignoring the Wii controls.

bmf said:
But some asshole keeps moving the goalposts. I think that even if Nintendo were to teabag Sony's rotting corpse, some would still refuse to acknowledge Nintendo's victory.
The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.

Kenka

shykyoichi said:
Nintendo has always have a stronger 1st party than 3rd party line-up, so to say.

SNES-age GAF will not agree. Many of us are actually nostalgic of this period and want third-parties and Nintendo live in harmony on one plateform.

rpmurphy

Kenka said:
SNES-age GAF will not agree. Many of us are actually nostalgic of this period and want third-parties and Nintendo live in harmony on one plateform.
Well, you could also argue the DS as an example as well to challenge that claim. And maybe also WiiWare, but that could just be Nintendo holding back.

rpmurphy said:
Well, you could also argue the DS as an example as well to challenge that claim.
DS definitely has some high profile games and successes, but... the same DS where Nintendo/Pokémon accounts for more than half the games sold, and the best-selling third-party game yet ranks behind 14 Nintendo/Pokémon releases?

Kenka said:
Well... SNES is the pinnacle of Nintendo empire.

[Handhelds like DS and GB doesn't count. Nintendo controls the handheld marketspace.]

Neo C.

donny2112 said:
If MH3 sells as well as some are predicting, what will happen to Wii games in Japan?
Healthier sales for all publishers would be a nice first step, I won't predict anything further. We are already in the third year of the Wii, things won't change as dramatic as in the first two years.

Kittonwy

Banned
shykyoichi said:
Nintendo has always have a stronger 1st party than 3rd party line-up, so to say.

Their big first-party franchises allowed them to hold on to their core userbase from one platform to another regardless of third-party support, while the lack of third-party support hurt them last generation, that never cut into their core Zelda/Mario fanbase, they're much less reliant on the whims of third-party publishers to provide content.

I sincerely hope Sony has learned that from them because this generation they simply can't rely on third-party publishers anymore, they need to have a core set of first-party franchises and a userbase that is actually loyal to those franchises instead of people who are just buying the console because of third-party IPs like FF and RE, because those people don't care which platform they're buying as long as they can play those titles. Sony seriously needs to get on top of establishing at least some decent-selling titles in Japan, their reliance on third-party publishers to provide JRPG on their system has been nothing but a complete disaster.

markatisu

justchris said:
Notable, but can you think of any other examples?

Well there is the fact that console versions of MH always had pay online and nobody had a problem utilizing it. Other games in JP had pay online and the structure seemed to gain enough support.

My Life as a King for WiiWare had plenty of DLC options, even more then the US if I remember correctly.

And wasn't 1/2 of GT5 Prologue sales from the PSN store version?

Liabe Brave said:
Almost all Famitsu, though a few numbers are Media-Create in order to get the most updated totals (for example MGS 4).

Well, AC 6 is partly inflated by my accidental inclusion of the re-release. It's also inflated by the fact that it was bundled with 360 hardware over the holidays. Finally, Ace Combat Zero was the lowest-selling of the PS2 entries (which eroded over time). The 40%-or-less performance is clearly more usual for 360 iterations.

As for PS3, the 50%-or-less level is where I'd expect everything to be, given the installed base versus the PS2. (Of course, it's much lower than that percentage in hardware, but early adopters tend to be more committed consumers, so transition percentages on software will be higher than on hardware, where much of the gap is due to more casual users.) The fact that four franchises have basically stayed level, and four more are close, is actually pretty surprising, especially considering that some of them were quite large last gen. The tendency has been for the very largest franchises--Hot Shots Golf, Dynasty Warriors, Pro Evo Soccer--to really underperform. This chart is giving us mixed messages about where GT 5 and FF XIII will go.

Indeed very mixed messages, if we expect half of GT4 for GT5 that would leave it at around 500K LTD, half of FFXII would leave FFXIII around 1.1 million, I noticed that, with some exceptions, some of the latest releases seem to be doing better than earlier releases. I hope GT5 and FFXIII will sell more than that, it would be really pathetic if that's their LTD in Japan.

Kittonwy said:
I sincerely hope Sony has learned that from them because this generation they simply can't rely on third-party publishers anymore, they need to have a core set of first-party franchises and a userbase that is actually loyal to those franchises instead of people who are just buying the console because of third-party IPs like FF and RE, because those people don't care which platform they're buying as long as they can play those titles. Sony seriously needs to get on top of establishing at least some decent-selling titles in Japan, their reliance on third-party publishers to provide JRPG on their system has been nothing but a complete disaster.

They have a great first party for the west, sure we all wish they would buy Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, etc.. but overall their western 1st party is pretty good, delivers on the goods and is competitive with most 3rd party AAA games. They do need to address their JP 1st party though because all they have is PD (Gran Turismo), Team ICO, Team Siren and Clap Hanz (HSG) over there, perhaps purchasing Level 5, Atlus, Nippon Ichi or something, they definitely need a stronger team there.

donny2112

justchris said:
Notable, but can you think of any other examples?

Not really. We don't hear much on downloadable content revenue, in general, though, so I wanted to point out the huge exception to that statement. :D

cvxfreak said:
I think RE4 would still come out on top for me overall, but it's really a tough call. RE5 is a bit more playable than RE4 these days ignoring the Wii controls.

Oops. I meant to say with the Wii controls. Just wondering. Thanks! :)

AranhaHunter said:
perhaps purchasing Level 5, Atlus, Nippon Ichi or something, they definitely need a stronger team there.

Level 5 has enough say in the matter with their Professor Layton and other successful series to rebuff pretty much any offer. Atlus is too small to make a large difference, in my opinion. Nippon Ichi is already pretty much PS-exclusive for anything of consequence.

kswiston

Haunted said:
Yeah, considering the excellent first day MHG sales, I actually think it has a shot beating that.

Personally, I think MH3 would be a resounding failure if it doesn't beat MGS4's LTD in Japan. Monster Hunter 2's LTD wasn't that much lower than MGS4s (550k vs 700k?). Since that time, the sales of portable Monster Hunter titles have tripled (~3M for MHP2G vs ~1M for MHP).

I don't expect the sales growth of the console games to completely match the sales growth of the portable games, but there is no reason why MH3 shouldn't sell 1.5-2x what MH2 did 3 years ago before the series took off. That would put it in the 850k-1100k range.

Right now, I think 1M is a good target for MH3. 1.5M wouldn't completely surprise me, but that's about as far as I can see it going (only Wii games currently past 1.5M are Fit, Sports, Play, Brawl and MKwii).

donny2112 said:
Level 5 has enough say in the matter with their Professor Layton and other successful series to rebuff pretty much any offer. Atlus is too small to make a large difference, in my opinion. Nippon Ichi is already pretty much PS-exclusive for anything of consequence.

I would think Level 5 was smaller than Atlus, but I can't be sure because AFAIK, Atlus is public and L5 is not. Anyways I wasn't suggesting a hostile takeover as that will never keep the talent in the company, I was simply suggesting something that SCE could do to improve their first party in JP, they could also start an internal team, but that would be a lot harder I think.

Durante

They should buy Gust and give them a huge budget for Ar Tonelico 3. Don't give up the Otaku audience to 360 without a fight!

Ok, so maybe it wouldn't make much sense for Sony, but I'd certainly like the outcome.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 227 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 180.1 weeks (Augut 11, 2003), where DS was at 99.7 weeks (October 27, 2006), and where GBA was at 153.4 weeks (February 25, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 175 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 16.6 weeks (January 3, 2002), where PS3 was at 36.4 weeks (July 18, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.2 weeks (January 1, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 127 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 42.7 weeks (December 22, 2000), where PSP was at 64.4 weeks (March 1, 2006), where GCN was at 120.5 weeks (December 31, 2003), and where Wii was at 33.3 weeks (July 17, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 124 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 95.1 weeks (January 11, 2003), where DS was at 76.4 weeks (May 17, 2006), where PS2 was at 114.1 weeks (May 6, 2002), and where PSP was at 165.0 weeks (February 3, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 24 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 44.5 weeks (December 18, 2003) and where DSL was at 14.2 weeks (June 5, 2006).

It's worth noting that unlike last week's Media Create numbers, Famitsu has Wii beating PS3: 15,540 to 13,509.

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 52.7 / 47.3 bring total shares to 68.4 / 31.6. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 353.4 weeks (January 27, 2016).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 12.2 / 87.8 bring total shares to 24.6 / 75.4. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 239.2 weeks (November 19, 2013).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 82.5 / 17.5 bring total shares to 28.0 / 72.0. This is the first time PS3 has outsold Wii eight weeks in a row, andthe first time it more than quadrupled Wii. At this week's rates PS3 catches up to Wii in 98.2 weeks (March 8, 2011). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 77.4 weeks (October 13, 2010).

Week over week, PS3 explodes thanks to the FF VII / XIII stuff, but everything else is pretty flat.
X360

By Media Create's reckoning, Xbox 360 hits 1 million units sold in its 176th week.
mc

Through the first fifteen weeks of the year, almost everything is down by some degree. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -63.7%
DSL+DSi: -2.9%
PS2: -52.8%
PS3: +19.9%
PSP: -40.1%
X360: +237.5%

Home hardware: -36.8%
Portable hardware: -23.3%
Sum of all hardware: -28.9%

donny2112

Just in case it wasn't officially clear, PS3 is now ahead of Wii YTD by Japanese tracking methods.

Code:
|  WII  |     13,221  |     13,349  |    431,833  |   7,910,810  |
------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, MC gives the exact number of FFXIII demos w/ ACC sold last week: 274,774

Kenka

donny2112 said:
Just in case it wasn't officially clear, PS3 is now ahead of Wii YTD by Japanese tracking methods.

Code:
|  WII  |     13,221  |     13,349  |    431,833  |   7,910,810  |
------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, MC gives the exact number of FFXIII demos w/ ACC sold last week: 274,774

You mean this is the number of demos sold to japanese dudes ?

Wada is still working for S-E ? Damn, his job is more safe than a high position in the banking world.

klee123

AranhaHunter said:
Perhaps purchasing Level 5, Atlus, Nippon Ichi or something, they definitely need a stronger team there.

Media Vision originally worked with Sony heaps too, but they've been making games for the DS/Wii lately.

cvxfreak

FFXIII bundle still isn't completely sold out. I could have bought one today if I wanted at a normal gaming store.

Animal Crossing City Folk is now ¥1980 at Bic, ¥2980 with WiiSpeak. :lol

I think Monster Hunter G will be very successful. I think it can match its PS2 sales at the least. It's interesting because while it is a PS2 port that cannot use the Wiimote, it's also ostensibly similar to the first Monster Hunter Portable on PSP as well, from what I hear.

Maybe Capcom will continue on with Dos on the Wii, bringing 2nd G's additions to console for the first time.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Kenka said:

Those were great times for Nintendo fans and gamers alike. However, it wasn't that great for third parties. Nintendo really stuck it to third parties when it came to what they could and couldn't put out. Not to mention very high licensing fees. When Sony came along with their business model for the Playstation, and third parties, most dev/pubs couldn't make games fast enough for it.

Kenka

Vilix said:
Those were great times for Nintendo fans and gamers alike. However, it wasn't that great for third parties. Nintendo really stuck it to third parties when it came to what they could and couldn't put out. Not to mention very high licensing fees. When Sony came along with their business model for the Playstation, and third parties, most dev/pubs couldn't make games fast enough for it.

I raise the question : are Nintendo still a bunch of assholes abusing third-parties ? Yes/no ?

Famitsu Software Stuff

Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (3432) remains high. For the second week in a row its sales have gone down while its rank has gone up, thanks to lackluster sales of everything else.

2009-04-06

Chart perennials Wii Fit and Monster Hunter Portable 2 G both continue to do well, but lately MHP2G has been doing a bit better. It's become a bit of a question as to whether it will eventually pass it up (again) before further games in either series steal attention away. Thanks to my new ability to show lines of not only individual games but also groups now, we can set up an image that shows how MHP2G and its Best rerelease are closing in on Wii Fit.

Looking at this image now, it's apparent that the currently weekly sales of MHP2G are better than what it was doing just a few months after launch--I guess the lower price is doing good things for it.

Our latest Famitsu number for Dragon Quest Swords (486,222) comes from the end of 2007, so in reality it should be a bit ahead when we get the 2008 Top 500. However, Taiko no Tatsujin Wii has apparently passed it (at 492,585) to become the top third party game on the Wii. Since it continues selling thousands of copies each week, it will legitimately be ahead any time now.

This also makes it the #2 console third party game of this generation, behind Metal Gear Solid 4.

Apparently thanks to an anime series based on the game, the budget rerelease of Valkyria Chronicles makes its first appearance on the Top 30, a month after its release. Since Famitsu tells what the previous two ranks were for each game on the list, we know that two weeks ago it was sitting at #74.
3498+-+Valkyria+Chronicles+%28PlayStation+3+The+Best%29+-+PS3

A bunch of new software groups this week. Mostly because with the new ability to make line graphs of groups, it's desirable to have some subsets of larger groups.
Monster Hunter Console
Monster Hunter Portable
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Portable 1
Monster Hunter Portable 2 G
Disaster Report
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Kenka said:
I raise the question : are Nintendo still a bunch of assholes abusing third-parties ? Yes/no ?

Great question. I believe they're no where near how they used to be during Hiroshi Yamauchi rein of terr... Umm... rein. Iwata, being a developer himself, has really opened up to third parties. Nintendo learned quite a bit of humility last gen. And now Iwata really seems to wants third parties, large and small, to give Nintendo another chance.

While Yamauchi was a pretty stern CEO he made a massive media entertainment corporation out of an insignificant playing card company. He's been regarded in Japan and the west as one of the most talented executives.

Kenka

Vilix said:
While Yamauchi was a pretty stern CEO he made a massive media entertainment corporation out of an insignificant playing card company. He's been regarded in Japan and the west as one of the most talented executives.

So the fact that both a tyran and a soft-evil guy succeed is the proof, if needed, that the random management style of Wada must come to an end. Yes, I am using all opportunities to bash him further.

JoshuaJSloane said:

So, given the curve of sales of Taiko no Tatsujin, we can assume it will outsell Metal Gear Solid in about one year or so ? Or is this unthinkable ?

Kenka said:
So, given the curve of sales of Taiko no Tatsujin, we can assume it will outsell Metal Gear Solid in about one year or so ? Or is this unthinkable ?
It's definitely possible; it just depends how well its legs hold up. This week's numbers have its first sub-10K week (other than a week of shortage early on), so maybe it's starting to slide down finally. Or maybe it will perk up again if Wii hardware sales do.

I guess it also could depend on how soon they try a Taiko Wii 2? Though the original Taiko DS has continued doing well even after the sequel released.

EDIT: Legs visually

Spiegel said:
Weekly Famitsu updated Monster Hunter series data:
Code:
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G 	PSP 	27/03/08 	3,008,554

Numbers include best releases

http://www.psphyper.com/psp/enterbrain-monster-hunter-series-sales-data/
Hmm. That's less than I've got currently for the sum of MHP2G+MHP2G Best. Seems weird if it's from a current issue of Famitsu, but could it be through the week starting March 23? Through that week I have MHP2G+MHP2G Best at 3,007,533, which would allow for a small amount of original MHP2G to have sold since the end of the year.

markatisu

Sadist said:
What's the story with Murumasa? Why did it drop to 5000k +?

It sold between 85-90% of its 1st shipment, this would be the remaining to complete a ~100% sellout and signal either a failure to restock or a failure of a retailer reorder

Johann

AranhaHunter said:
Indeed very mixed messages, if we expect half of GT4 for GT5 that would leave it at around 500K LTD, half of FFXII would leave FFXIII around 1.1 million, I noticed that, with some exceptions, some of the latest releases seem to be doing better than earlier releases. I hope GT5 and FFXIII will sell more than that, it would be really pathetic if that's their LTD in Japan.

We also have to take into account how fanatic the fanbase is for a franchise (rolls off the tongue) in Japan. Something like MGS4 was resistant to a major drop in sales in comparison to the previous installment. Final Fantasy is a much bigger franchise than Metal Gear Solid but at the same time it is aimed at an audience that may not be interested enough in the franchise to have or buy a PS3.

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm. That's less than I've got currently for the sum of MHP2G+MHP2G Best. Seems weird if it's from a current issue of Famitsu, but could it be through the week starting March 23? Through that week I have MHP2G+MHP2G Best at 3,007,533, which would allow for a small amount of original MHP2G to have sold since the end of the year.

Yes, that's it.

We got this number when 360 passed 1 million

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1223150_1124.html

Monster Hunter Portable 2G 2,453,132
Monster Hunter Portable 2G (PSP the best) 555,422

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Monster Hunter 2 dos PS2 16/02/06 692,228

This has to be the minimum baseline for MH Tri IMO.

schuelma

farnham said:
sold out everywhere

marvelous not being able to restock as fast as

lets say nintendo

Let's be honest..I really doubt it would sell that much better even with a bigger shipment.

So I decided it might be fun to make Garaph a bit more DS/PSP friendly, smallening things up so there's not the need to scroll left and right. While hopefully this will get a bit more comprehensive in the future and be accessed through more sensible means (ds.garaph.info?), for now the versions of a few pages I've taken a saw to for testing purposes have their file names prefaced by DS.
DS Garaph
DS Weekly Overview
DS Game Search
DS individual software page

schuelma said:

I note this is about 70K higher than the combination of MH2 through 2006 and MH2 Best through 2007, so that Best release must've done decently beneath the Top 30 over the last year or so.

jesusraz said:
Panther, will you be updating the first post with the 31-50 software and hardware list at some point, please?
If you can read Japanese here is the link: http://m-create.com/ranking/
maybe someone that does understand Japanese can do us all a favor? :D
Here is the same link ran through Babel fish: m-create.com Babel-fished

& I updated the hardware based on the M-Create.com figures
Code:
Hardware | This Week | Last Week |    YTD    |    LTD   
NDS           44,725 |    47,542 | 1,162,560 | 26,282,203
PSP           40,065 |    40,886 |   828,935 | 12,192,954
WII           13,221 |    13,349 |   431,833 |  7,910,734
PS3           62,527 |    16,701 |   447,700 |  3,070,128
360            8,652 |    10,134 |   171,127 |  1,001,667
PS2            4,230 |     4,351 |    90,014 | 21,489,538
---------------------------------------------------------
DSi           38,287 |    40,673 |  891,420 |   2,161,452
DSL            6,438 |     6,869 |  223,608 |  17,533,282

Kenka

schuelma said:

Seems like a good mark. 800'000 would be a sweet performance.

Thanks Joshua for the info. Looks hard for Taiko to outsell MGS4. Taiko 2 maybe.

markatisu

schuelma said:

Yeah I would hope it surpasses 700k, I mean you are talking about the next sequel (even though we all know there will be a MH3P it still has not been officially announced and might not be till next year) to a franchise that has grown exponentially the last few years

Kenka said:
So the fact that both a tyran and a soft-evil guy succeed is the proof, if needed, that the random management style of Wada must come to an end. Yes, I am using all opportunities to bash him further.

Huh?

schuelma said:
Let's be honest..I really doubt it would sell that much better even with a bigger shipment.

What makes you say this? Just curious as the game seems to be high in demand (mostly due to low shipment numbers) due to having a 90% sell through.

schuelma

Flying_Phoenix said:
What makes you say this? Just curious as the game seems to be high in demand (mostly due to low shipment numbers) due to having a 90% sell through.

Because its not like the first day sales were amazing- they were a bit over 50% of the initial shipment. That tells me it wasn't drastically undershipped. It might have done a bit better with a bigger shipment, but how much more? 10K? 15k?

Top Bottom