• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cw_sasuke said:
btw. Since MHG will be on No.1 next week, which 3rd party wii game was the last one on the top of the charts ?

Possibly Taiko Drum in December..I think that might have topped the charts one week.

swerve

Spiegel said:
I'm surprised Dsi and Psp are so close. When the redesign was announced last year I thought it was game over for psp (relatively speaking)

Sony can just make another redesign if that starts to look likely, but as it stands PSP is thriving on the back of MHP + co, and all the other quality titles. DSi, whilst starting to show its true potential with some of the more recent DSiWare releases, isn't yet an essential upgrade for most people.

shykyoichi said:
Title's too long...
Heh. The longest of their titles is enough that (even with a setting that decreases font size for long titles) it doesn't fit in the standard width I use for images on game pages. :lol
334+-+Zaidan+Houjin+Nippon+Kanji+Nouryoku+Kentei+Kyoukai+Koushiki+Soft%3A+200+Mannin+no+KanKen%3A+Tokoton+Kanji+Nou++-+DS

schuelma said:
Possibly Taiko Drum in December..I think that might have topped the charts one week.
Yeah, it did. Nothing comes to mind that would've since.

schuelma

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, it did. Nothing comes to mind that would've since.

Hell I don't know if a Wii game period has topped the charts since December. Mario Tennis possibly?

cvxfreak

Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles had managed to nearly double sales of Biohazard 4 Wii Edition before they both went budget. It's not the perfect comparison to make (pretty sure a UC demo would have caused RE4 Wii to sell even more), but I think it'd be good to expect MH3 to sell at least two times more than MHG, if not three times more.

The PS2 version opened at 128,051 for its opening week and sold 232,239 lifetime (See here). Good result, and a nice change of pace for the Wii after these last few weeks.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
The PS2 version opened at 128,051 for its opening week and sold 232,239 lifetime (See here). Good result, and a nice change of pace for the Wii after these last few weeks.

Wow. Wii version looks to have a decent shot at outselling it. Even with the demo that's a bit surprising to me.

Sadist

Yes Boss! said:
Not just a demo but a uniquely-branded classic controller as well. I mainly bought it for that.
Yeah, I know about the awesome classic controller which comes with the package. To bad we won't see these kinds of things worldwide because such packages are not possible in America :/

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Sadist said:
Yeah, I know about the awesome classic controller which comes with the package. To bad we won't see these kinds of things worldwide because such packages are not possible in America :/
No? Isn't the best selling game ever in the USA a game that comes with a controller?

Sadist

manueldelalas said:
No? Isn't the best selling game ever in the USA a game that comes with a controller?
Classic Controller + game packages can't be done in USA. According to Capcom.

spwolf

schuelma said:
Wow. Wii version looks to have a decent shot at outselling it. Even with the demo that's a bit surprising to me.

realistically, it should outsell it, MH is bigger ip these days than back then and what else does anyone have to buy in Japan for Wii these days anyway? I expect big things from MH3.

Meesh

cvxfreak said:
Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles had managed to nearly double sales of Biohazard 4 Wii Edition before they both went budget. It's not the perfect comparison to make (pretty sure a UC demo would have caused RE4 Wii to sell even more), but I think it'd be good to expect MH3 to sell at least two times more than MHG, if not three times more.

In Japan or the Americas? Being that Wii is RPG anorexic here I'm hoping it tops 1mil, bets case scenario?

spwolf said:
realistically, it should outsell it, MH is bigger ip these days than back then and what else does anyone have to buy in Japan for Wii these days anyway? I expect big things from MH3.

Obviously wii fit

Banned
Hunahan said:
You're crazy. Capcom did so many things right before SF4 was even announced that's it's difficult to even count them all.

- Created a powerful, proprietary in-house engine that was ready to go within months of the first console mover.

- Created two brand new, viable IPs within the first year of launch

- Created, grew, and maintained US-branch community outreach site and intensive localized marketing arm

- Took advantage of demo distribution immediately, garnering feedback and interest for their efforts.

- Jumped on board with XBLA immediately / shortly thereafter began investing in unprecedented projects in order to "set the bar" for DD console titles, quickly netting them a leadership position in the space.

- Began integrating online multiplayer / co-op features for their titles within a year of system launch

- Had immediate conversion to a multi-platform strategy / began executing shortly after the PS3 launch.

- Reached towards western developers for game creation partnerships / western popularity for genre iteration / supported western arm in creating games rather than just distributing them.

.....and perhaps most importantly:

- Completely bowed out of the retarded clusterfuck that is the industry's annual Q4 gangbang in favor of carving out an enormously successful slice of Q1, uncontested and successfully.

When you compare those points to SE, there's not a single one of them that they share in common.

Capcom has been remarkable this generation on many levels. If you're looking for a benchmark within Japanese companies seeking to gain worldwide business, they are undoubtedly the firm to which all fingers should be pointing.

I never say this, but- Fucking great post man.

onipex

Good to see that the PS3 continues to do better. Nice MHG numbers too. I wonder how much the Wii numbers will go up next week if at all.

Does anyone know a database that compiles first day sales? Does garaph have them? It'd be nice to compare MHG's first day with its PS2 counterpart (and other MH releases).

markatisu

onipex said:
Nice MHG numbers too. I wonder how much the Wii numbers will go up next week if at all.

If a 120-200k Wii game cannot move more than 12-15k of hardware then the Wii really is on its way out. They were selling 12-18k for the last month a half with no big software hits

onipex

markatisu said:
If a 120-200k Wii game cannot move more than 12-15k of hardware then the Wii really is on its way out. They were selling 12-18k for the last month a half with no big software hits

Really? Are you joking? The Wii is far from done.

markatisu

Evilink said:
I think he means with the release of some big games, Wii sales will rise again :)

...that's my spin anyway...

Yes someone said they wondered if MHG would increase Wii sales

The Wii has not had a high profile big selling game in almost 4 months, this one looks to be doing pretty well so if the Wii hardware sales are anemic what would that say?

Systems "should" sell more with high profile games, I cannot believe I had to spell that out

harSon

Banned
Kagari said:
It's the smarter choice at this point, especially considering a demo just outsold all of the HD games Square released so far.

While I agree, it's not really fair to compare Final Fantasy to any JRPG released on HD consoles this generation.

donny2112

Nice posts, Opiate. charlequin and I have had similar discussions on it in the past with him falling on the side of "Nintendo should be more like Microsoft/Sony in their incentives" (which has a good point in the immediate video game landscape) and me saying that Nintendo has other means (such as loaning out IPs for specific games ala NBA Street Vol. 3 w/Mario) to entice third-parties that don't involve immediate money. I asked Segata Sanshiro what he thought SEGA did that led them to exiting the hardware business, and he replied that they followed the razorblade model, hit last place for a while, so they couldn't keep afloat. If it weren't for Sony and Microsoft's access to other funding, they might've already followed SEGA's lead out of the hardware business.

bttb said:
17. [PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 5,717 / 498,320

With the 360 version having sold 103K before dropping out of the Top 20, that puts the PS360 RE5 total according to Dengeki conclusively > 600K. No additional DMC2 purchases for cvxfreak. :)

Spiegel said:
WII Monster Hunter 3 demo (+ Monster Hunter G) 92k

I think I said 180K LTD for MHG? That seems a little low with that kind of a first day. :lol

spwolf

markatisu said:
Yes someone said they wondered if MHG would increase Wii sales

The Wii has not had a high profile big selling game in almost 4 months, this one looks to be doing pretty well so if the Wii hardware sales are anemic what would that say?

Systems "should" sell more with high profile games, I cannot believe I had to spell that out

yeah and Wii will sell a lot with MH3... I cant believe people are playing it down... is that intentional? (ie to claim "WOW" next week?).

MH3 will sell a ton and will move hardware significantly.

donny2112

spwolf said:
MH3 will sell a ton and will move hardware significantly.

<insert previous statements on MH3's performance> + <possibly better than that due to MHG seeming to start off so well>

A Wii Sports Resort release followed a week or two after by Monster Hunter 3 would be a nice change of pace for the Wii. :lol

schuelma

donny2112 said:
<insert previous statements on MH3's performance> + <possibly better than that due to MHG seeming to start off so well>

I was going to say donny- still think MH3 is only going to sell 300-400K? (I think that was your prediction IIRC).

Spiegel

spwolf said:
yeah and Wii will sell a lot with MH3... I cant believe people are playing it down... is that intentional? (ie to claim "WOW" next week?).

It seems that way.

I've said it before, we are not in early 2006.
Monster Hunter is one of the biggest franchises in Japan right now and Capcom surely don't expect Monster Hunter 3 to sell "only" 500k

Somnid

Why would anybody even think that MH3 wouldn't sell a ton and probably move a lot of hardware? It's like the sole reason the PSP still exists, and not only that but is actually doing rather well.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Tenbatsu said:
For MH3 Tri to be the first 3rd party Wii game to be a million seller is not a dream afterall.

How far after G is Tri coming out? Is it enough of a buffer?

ksamedi

Spiegel said:
It seems that way.

I've said it before, we are not in early 2006.
Monster Hunter is one of the biggest franchises in Japan right now and Capcom surely don't expect Monster Hunter 3 to sell "only" 500k

I agree in that it should do at least a million. I can't see it hit two million though.

schuelma

John Harker said:
How far after G is Tri coming out? Is it enough of a buffer?

We just know its Summer. I would guess its either end of June or in August. (I imagine they won't release it close to DX9).

schuelma

spwolf said:

I'm sure hardware will go up a bit, but I don't think it will see an increase like we did with PS3 this week. It looks like less software will be sold, plus there are no hardware bundles and also I really don't think there is quite the demand for the MH3 demo considering we know its coming soon.

Tenbatsu

I think Capcom will release:
1) MH3 Tri Normal Edition
2) MH3 Tri Starter Pack
3) MH3 Tri Wii Console Pack

Btw the peak number of players online for MHG Wii was 6000 yesterday, PS2 MHG was not even close.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Tenbatsu said:
I think Capcom will release:
1) MH3 Tri Normal Edition
2) MH3 Tri Starter Pack
3) MH3 Tri Wii Console Pack

At this point Nintendo would be stupid to not a realease a console monster hunter bundle...

schuelma

cw_sasuke said:
At this point Nintendo would be stupid to not a realease a console monster hunter bundle...

Yeah I have to think that is in the cards, possibly bundled with the CC Pro.

markatisu

cw_sasuke said:

Agreed, if there was ever a need for a hardware bundle it would be with MH3. All they would have to do is take the White Wii and have the 3 logo on the side, they did more work for the classic controller.

The sales if they hold up throughout the week are showing the success of the controller bundle and all that had was a repainted classic controller

Capcom could easily work with Nintendo for a console bundle that had either the classic pro or a 30 day prepaid MH card for online.

Somnid

Nintendo isn't bundling anything if they can help it. Also their own properties are more popular than Monster Hunter anyways.

Spiegel said:
Really? You don't expect the Monster Hunter 3 demo to be the top seller on a week when only "niche" and shooter games are released?

I guess you have a point, though there is still Poke'mon's second week.

I still didn't expect it to perform this well though (almost 100k) day one. I really didn't think the portable influence would transfer this much to the console series. I mean this is a re-release right? Even with demo and all.

AniHawk said:
90,000 first day? Count me surprised. I really thought this would be pretty weak on the Wii.

Bodes well for MH3 too. Maybe I was wrong to write it off.

Same here. Transferring notable franchises to different platforms that don't already own that market usually spells disaster.

spwolf said:

Yeah but isn't this like the third release of this game? (One on the PS2 and one on the PSP) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Somnid said:
Nintendo isn't bundling anything if they can help it. Also their own properties are more popular than Monster Hunter anyways.

Not in Japan if the game doesn't say "Wii ____" on it. Especially if they're trying to go after a different demographics.

markatisu

Somnid said:

Well they cannot help it if you have not noticed the hardware sales as of late

Iwata has said twice in the last month that the situation was dier and needed some help. I do not think they will bank on WSR to miraculously get them back to old hardware levels so a bundle option would be helpful for the biggest 3rd party IP they have released to date.

The CC bundle is proof of that, previously the only bundling Nintendo did was gun shells with games like REUC

Somnid said:
Never hurts to take advantage of the most popular non-Nintendo game in the nation, which probably appeals to a different group than have already bought Wiis for the seven previous Nintendo-published million sellers or whatever.

Rolf NB

schuelma said:
Yeah I have to think that is in the cards, possibly bundled with the CC Pro.
Metal Gear? CC Pro? What's that? I know the one bundled with MHG is covered in art/branding, but is there actually a new version that works differently than the standard CC?

Somnid

markatisu said:
Well they cannot help it if you have not noticed the hardware sales as of late

Iwata has said twice in the last month that the situation was dier and needed some help. I do not think they will bank on WSR to miraculously get them back to old hardware levels so a bundle option would be helpful for the biggest 3rd party IP they have released to date.

The CC bundle is proof of that, previously the only bundling Nintendo did was gun shells with games like REUC

Why not bet on WSR? It should outsell MH3 so if it can't move hardware then MH3 won't either. What they will most likely do if they desperately need a boost is start packing in Wii Sports, and maybe Wii Music.

Stumpokapow said:
not in 2009 they haven't been ;)

Aside from the Play on Wii line what first party titles have they even released?

schuelma

bcn-ron said:
Metal Gear? CC Pro? What's that? I know the one bundled with MHG is covered in art/branding, but is there actually a new version that works differently than the standard CC?

I think the only difference is the form of the controller.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
bcn-ron said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353604&highlight=classic

Somnid said:
Why not bet on WSR? It should outsell MH3 so if it can't move hardware then MH3 won't either. What they will most likely do if they desperately need a boost is start packing in Wii Sports, and maybe Wii Music.

Why not both ? it`s not like they are limited to release just one hardware bundle this year....

Top Bottom