• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/22 - 09/28

PantherLotus said:
He's not resting. He's been permed! This member is no more! He has ceased to be! His membership's expired and he's gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of posting privileges, he lurks in peace! If we hadn't nailed his posts to the board, he'd be pushing up the daisies! His php processes are now history! He's off the board! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his online coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir o---p----a! THIS IS AN EX-XBOT!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
He's not resting. He's been permed! This member is no more! He has ceased to be! His membership's expired and he's gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of posting privileges, he lurks in peace! If we hadn't nailed his posts to the board, he'd be pushing up the daisies! His php processes are now history! He's off the board! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his online coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir o---p----a! THIS IS AN EX-XBOT!

brilliant as always

Leezard

Segata Sanshiro said:
I love monthy python.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
loosus said:
New Super Mario Bros. is one of the best-selling Mario games ever.

New Super Mario Bros. is one of the best Mario games ever.

Super Mario Galaxy sold the status quo.

Pretty much.

loosus said:
Super Mario Galaxy is status-quo quality

Glad I was able to clear up any misconceptions anyone had!

...wut?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DeaconKnowledge said:
Yeah right, jimbo permed?

I gotta say i'm gonna miss the XBOX success forecasting based off of one or two spikes in sales.

how can you forecast the future by looking at the past?!

Threi

notag
jimbo is gone forever?

2uzyniw.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Segata Sanshiro said:

Well we'd better replace him then.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
HELP WANTED: Forum Scapegoat

International video game forum looking for expert forum poster that can ineffectively argue the same points twice per year in sales threads. You will be responsible for carrying sales threads when there is little else to talk about except for your transparent fanboyish extrapolation of short term successes. Logic not required. Apply with new email address HERE.

Jtyettis said:
:lol

Right, I think not. Logic nor grammar has nothing to do with correcting one of the worst performing stocks I have listed. Save Google and Apple there is no other that comes even close.
I'm not disputing the performance, just your manner of referring to it. In the post above, "one of the worst" is fine, since you are implicitly defining "worst" as a multi-member class; but "by far the worst" (from your previous post) is a true superlative, not a comparative, and can only be applied to a single object from a set. It is not logically nor grammatically possible for something to "almost" have this property.

As for something a modicum less trivial, do we believe the 360 falloff this week (-23%) is due to shortages, or to lowering demand? I know at this level of absolute numbers it's very hard to say, so are there any strong indicators one way or the other?

botticus

cvxfreak said:
I'm curious to see a graph comparison between MHP2ndG and Pokemon Platinum.
I'm no Joshua, but this should do it (I imagine the image should self-update once last week's Famitsu numbers go in):

MHP2G+vs+Pokemon+Platinum

Quicker start, but I don't think it'll have quite the legs. Week 4 numbers from the Famitsu leak will put it right around MHP2G's Week 3 number.

cvxfreak said:
I'm curious to see a graph comparison between MHP2ndG and Pokemon Platinum.
C'mon, Garaph makes this easy! Thusly:

Adding in this week gets Platinum to ~1.6m for week three, which keeps the trajectories very close, with Platinum having a worse second but a better third week.

Edit: So easy I got beaten! But aren't the leaked Famitsu numbers for week three, not week four?

botticus

Liabe Brave said:
Edit: So easy I got beaten! But aren't the leaked Famitsu numbers for week three, not week four?
:)

Week 3 is this current MC thread, where it's up to around 1.5 million:
Jonnyram said:
Famitsu top 10 for the month 9/1-9/28

1. Pokemon Platinum 1,481,725
2. Super Robot Wars Z 360,824
3. Rhythm Tengoku Gold 179,055 / 804,493
4. Quiz Magic Academy 138,872
5. Dragonball DS 114,360
6. Infinite Undiscovery 100,737
7. Wii Fit 92,053 / 2,607,431
8. One Piece Unlimited Cruise Episode 1 74,129
9. World Destruction 58,511
10. Band Bros DX 52,391 / 353,348

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
And finally SCEJ remembered about PS3 hardware situation:
PS3 80GB + Dual Shock 3 (Black/White/Silver) - 39980Y

But for a limited time, its including Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III for free.

Sony is smarter this time.

Rpgmonkey

...Jimbo was back for a like a week and he got banned again? :/

I ignored him, but he was fun to watch.

DarkMehm said:
Those FFX, X-2 and XII numbers are vastly incomplete. There were an international version of FFX, a budget release, a budget international version, a FFX/X-2 Bundle, a budget rerelease. Square shipped 3.02 million and almost sold that many if you count all of those releases.

JoshuaJSlone said:
FFX sales

Hmm, that's pretty interesting to know. Sure got rereleased a lot though. :eek:

botticus said:
:)

Week 3 is this current MC thread, where it's up to around 1.5 million:
Yeah, my confusion since Platinum launched a day before the end of a reporting period, so "week 1" is actually only two days, not four like for most games. That means it's been 25 calendar days but "four weeks" since launch. By Famitsu leaks, they were:

Week 1: 968k
Week 2: 319k 1,287k
Week 3: 195k 1,482k
Week 4: 121k 1,603k

Which is indeed a bit behind MHP2ndG. And week 5 for that game got an unusual surge, so unless Platinum does the same it'll fall even further behind in the future.

AnimeTheme said:
Sony is smarter this time.
I'm not really sure what GT5P Spec 3 is, but I think its just an update to GT5P, so not sure why do the charge such money for it. At least its given free on a same priced 80GB PS3 as the 40GB PS3. We need dates though.

At least they sure are taking care of LBP, the bundles in 3 colors are pretty good priced (think 450€/$ 80GB+LBP+2 DS3) and the DS3+LBP for the normal price of an HD game nowadays is also a pretty nice deal.

Its now off to see if LBP has any appeal for the japanese audience.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Liabe Brave said:
Yeah, my confusion since Platinum launched a day before the end of a reporting period, so "week 1" is actually only two days, not four like for most games. That means it's been 25 calendar days but "four weeks" since launch. By Famitsu leaks, they were:

Week 1: 968k
Week 2: 319k 1,287k
Week 3: 195k 1,482k
Week 4: 121k 1,603k

Which is indeed a bit behind MHP2ndG. And week 5 for that game got an unusual surge, so unless Platinum does the same it'll fall even further behind in the future.

Right but it really depend on if Pokemon tails off the same way as MHP2ndG or if it has better legs

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I propose if jimbo actually DOES come back and he's not been permabanned, his tag should be changed to "Pining for the fjords".

I still can't get over how well Platinum is doing, especially for a being one of the later Pokemon SKUs.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
SovanJedi said:
I propose if jimbo actually DOES come back and he's not been permabanned, his tag should be changed to "Pining for the fjords".

I still can't get over how well Platinum is doing, especially for a being one of the later Pokemon SKUs.

Didn't we expect Platinum to explode? Surely we all saw this coming?

kswiston

I expect Platinum to eventually pass MHP2G LTD (it is a Nintendo game, and will probably still be selling 2-3k copies a week in 3 years), but I doubt that Platinum will be able to take the YTD crown from Monster Hunter at this point.

Either way, this years' top selling list will be pretty interesting. 2008 sales for Wii Fit, MHP2G and Pokemon Platinum are all going to be within a couple hundred thousand units of eachother

lordmrw

PantherLotus said:
Didn't we expect Platinum to explode? Surely we all saw this coming?

I think some still have the idea that because they no longer pay attention to Pokemon that it is no longer relevant or has dipped in popularity.

Psychotext said:
Is it me... or is that one of the lowest weeks the PS3 has ever had?
Again I say, c'mon! Garaph.info: "It's self-contained and fairly explanatory."

fam

So yeah, it doesn't look like the lowest ever, but it seems to be in second place. Huzzah, Sony! Way to go into Tokyo Games Show on a high note!

rykomatsu

Psychotext said:
Is it me... or is that one of the lowest weeks the PS3 has ever had?

well...some places are out of stock atm too...

gamestar's completely sold out
amazon.co.jp is out of black and silver, only white available
yodobashi isn't accepting orders
bic camera is sold out of black and white, only silver available, though MGS intro packs are still being sold

so it's not surprising tbh, but yeah it's pretty low for ps3

rykomatsu said:
well...some places are out of stock atm too...

gamestar's completely sold out
amazon.co.jp is out of black and silver, only white available
yodobashi isn't accepting orders
bic camera is sold out of black and white, only silver available, though MGS intro packs are still being sold

so it's not surprising tbh, but yeah it's pretty low for ps3
That's strange. I haven't seen the PS3 sold out ever at a physical location, even when MGS4 came out. Yodobashi Akiba had a mountain of them a few days ago. Wonder why the online stores are having trouble keeping stock in?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Segata Sanshiro said:
That's strange. I haven't seen the PS3 sold out ever at a physical location, even when MGS4 came out. Yodobashi Akiba had a mountain of them a few days ago. Wonder why the online stores are having trouble keeping stock in?

maybe they order fewer?

Segata Sanshiro said:

Psychotext said:
I spend most of my day looking at stats, databases and graphs. I'd rather pull my own teeth than mess with them in my off time. :lol
Fair enough! Personally, I love data and will happily mine it for leisure as surely as for employment.

And yes, online retailers almost certainly use JIT shipment models. I work for a very large distributor, and over the past decade there's been industry-wide pressure to lower on-hand inventory.

In addition, online retailers tend to order and receive directly from suppliers, while stores often use distribution middlemen. That smoothes out their supply issues during times of model changeover, like Sony's in now. Still, this probably wouldn't apply to giant stores like Yodobashi or BIC.

Top Bottom