• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/29 - 2/4

AniHawk

NSMB is 100k away from outselling Super Mario Land and becoming the best selling handheld Mario ever, and the second-best selling Super Mario game ever (in Japan).

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
AniHawk said:
NSMB is 100k away from outselling Super Mario Land and becoming the best selling handheld Mario ever, and the second-best selling Super Mario game ever (in Japan).

Thanks, Anihawk, for being the first person to mention that in this thread! On the ball, as usual.

AniHawk

Barf_the_Mog said:
Thanks, Anihawk, for being the first person to mention that in this thread! On the ball, as usual.

Did you hear about this new game from UbiSoft? You use the controller like a sword. I think it's called Red Steel, and it looks real neat.

castle007

Banned
AniHawk said:
Did you hear about this new game from UbiSoft? You use the controller like a sword. I think it's called Red Steel, and it looks real neat.

yeah, I am pretty hyped about it. I think it could give Halo 3 a run for its money

RaidenZR

AniHawk said:

Wow. That is pretty dang good.

argon

CoolTrick said:
I know some work went into the first post, which is nice, but anyone like it when its just simply numbers?

I know what you mean.. The links are pretty distracting. I don't think anyone here really needs to know how to get to Nintendo's Japanese homepage.

I love the Pac-Man chart, though =)

Ngeist

nubbe said:
Dishearting to see Pokemon drop like that after only selling 5 million.

Who said it was the return of the series ? :)

It's not even @ 5 millions.

Now, I'm a bit less ridiculous, saying maybe it won't even reach 5 millions, or not going really further.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think we're going to see lower HW numbers this week guys, but the complete rejection of consoles > $300 will continue.

Wii - 75-80k
PS3 - 15-19k
360 - 5-7k

AniHawk said:
Whatever happened to the Mario Chart? I think now would be a good time for it to resurface :D

SPEA

PantherLotus said:
I think we're going to see lower HW numbers this week guys, but the complete rejection of consoles > $300 will continue.

Wii - 75-80k
PS3 - 15-19k
360 - 5-7k
those would be my guesses. except, id maybe give the ps3 1 or 2k more.

apotema

For the next PS2 game to debut at number 1 (If ever), the ghost should be a colored one, then number 2 should be Pacman being chased by the Ghost of N° 1...........

Wii games should be cherries, and the biggest DS games, and system sellers should be power pellets

Just a suggestion

Edit: Yeah Monster Hunter Portable will debut at N° 1, no matter what..... that game should have a red ghost indicating the "impendig doom" for Nintendo

The price on PS3 and 360 need to drop in order to survive. What they are doing doesn't seem to be working at all, especially in what was a Sony dominated market.

360 would probably need to be $200 before they will see an increase. But the stars only know if that will help MS.

Wow, apart from Play and Sports, wii games don't seem to be all that popular over in Japan.

Then again, compared to the PS3, it's doing awesome.

Big slip from Pokemon, wow. Dragon Quest doing awesome still, nice to see Hotel Dusk doing ok.

ethelred

Alkaliine said:
Wow, apart from Play and Sports, wii games don't seem to be all that popular over in Japan.

They are doing really well, actually -- it's just that the much greater success of Wii Play and Wii Sports obscures that. 400k for Zelda, 300k for Wario, 200k for Pokemon, 100k for DBZ... all that on top of two one-million sellers is quite impressive for a system that's just had about ten weeks on the market.

fresquito

Alkaliine said:
Well, I wouldn't say that. For a console with barely 1.5 millions sold, it's not that a game that has sold like Wario is doing bad, but that it's insane that a game is about to cross the million mark.

ethelred said:
They are doing really well, actually -- it's just that the much greater success of Wii Play and Wii Sports obscures that. 400k for Zelda, 300k for Wario, 200k for Pokemon, 100k for DBZ... all that on top of two one-million sellers is quite impressive for a system that's just had about ten weeks on the market.

Hmmm, that's okay then.

But am I right in saying that the current sales of 3rd party Wii games in Japan are a bit concerning?

fresquito

Alkaliine said:
Hmmm, that's okay then.

But am I right in saying that the current sales of 3rd party Wii games in Japan are a bit concerning?
If you look at the titles released, and compare to how they usually do in other consoles, I'd say there's no reason to worry just yet. The numbers seem a bit low, but that's mainly because the install base is small.

fresquito said:
If you look at the titles released, and compare to how they usually do in other consoles, I'd say there's no reason to worry just yet. The numbers seem a bit low, but that's mainly because the install base is small.

Yeah I guess so, it's just the best sellers are Sports, Play, Zelda, Wario and Pokemon, all which are Nintendo games.

ethelred

Alkaliine said:
Hmmm, that's okay then.

It's a huge concern, yes. I'm sure most of the publishers aren't altogether pleased so far.

However, as far as I can recall, there's only been one notable post-launch third party release so far (DBZ, an up-port of the PS2 game), and it sold decently at ~100k. All the other stuff was released right at launch, which was a total bloodbath. Sixteen games, with a hardware supply problem, along with a bunch of marquee first party titles? Killing field. That stuff should've been spread out more.

The key thing to watch will be how the new third party games, post launch period, sell.

fresquito

Alkaliine said:
Yeah I guess so, it's just the best sellers are Sports, Play, Zelda, Wario and Pokemon, all which are Nintendo games.
Well, for the DS is mainly the same, but you can't say that third parties' games don't do well. In fact, we have some notorious cases of third parties undershipping copies of their games.

The main Pokeyman games tend to have really huge legs, so you'll probably see both of them in the top 30 for the next 2 years.

Mr. Pointy said:
The main Pokeyman games tend to have really huge legs, so you'll probably see both of them in the top 30 for the next 2 years.

I think so too. It was just after Christmas and New Years that they had that huge drop. I don't know what they are combined, but there are a lot of games in the top 10 with very close numbers, hence the entire top 30 could be well concentrated. The spread of sales of games is unusually evenly distributed. Also another factor is that Nintendo could be giving more proirity to 3rd party publishers in terms of cartridge production.

Mmm...so many DS titles that I don't know which ones are doing better or worse than last week, its getting annoying, its really difficult to follow a DS game with all the up-down between them :lol

cvxfreak said:
Cheesemeister is the best MC thread creator ever.

That means a lot coming from you, thanks. :D

apotema said:
For the next PS2 game to debut at number 1 (If ever), the ghost should be a colored one, then number 2 should be Pacman being chased by the Ghost of N° 1...........

Wii games should be cherries, and the biggest DS games, and system sellers should be power pellets

Just a suggestion

Right now, the rules I'm applying are, in pseudocode:

if(System != "WII" || "NDS" || "NGC" || "GBA") Icon = Ghost;
else if(Title contains "Zelda") Icon = Cherry;
else if((Rank <= 10) && (LTD >= 1,000,000)) Icon = Power Pellet;
else Icon = Pellet;

I could certainly be convinced to put in colored ghosts before the first power pellet, but if all Wii games are cherries, well... we might be seeing more than 3 Wii games on the list in the future. It'd make more sense to assign different fruit icons to other "tasty" series. Of course, not every week will qualify for a Pac-Man list. It wouldn't make sense to have too many ghosts running around, so I've capped it at 7. Maybe I'll have to make up some other themes for non-Pac-Man weeks... Suggestions, anyone?

Ngeist said:
Who said it was the return of the series ? :)

It's not even @ 5 millions.

Now, I'm a bit less ridiculous, saying maybe it won't even reach 5 millions, or not going really further.

Pokémon sells overall in the long term. Give them time and they'll reach not only 5 millions...

Kaeru

Banned
AniHawk said:
If anything, they're even more doomed than before, because it can only be downhill for them from here on out.

they still have a chance to get top 30, that hasnt happened before. Top 10? yes. Top 20? yes.
Top 30? Im waiting

stalker

Kaeru said:
they still have a chance to get top 30, that hasnt happened before. Top 10? yes. Top 20? yes.
Top 30? Im waiting

I do not remember a top 20. You mean for nintendo consoles? I think I remember a top 15 a few months ago ... I am probably wrong. Do you remember when it was aproximately?

Cheesemeister said:
I could certainly be convinced to put in colored ghosts before the first power pellet, but if all Wii games are cherries, well... we might be seeing more than 3 Wii games on the list in the future. It'd make more sense to assign different fruit icons to other "tasty" series. Of course, not every week will qualify for a Pac-Man list. It wouldn't make sense to have too many ghosts running around, so I've capped it at 7. Maybe I'll have to make up some other themes for non-Pac-Man weeks... Suggestions, anyone?

My suggestion would be to make a thread to brainstorm about the best ways to do the weekly pac-chart and acquire suggestions for its improvement and refining.

Haunted

Fantastic numbers for Nintendo, the DS and the Wii again - Nintendomination, itprintsmoney, rise to heaven etc. Simply remarkable.

Cheesemeister: very well done original post, I like my numbers fancy, so don't listen to the haters. you rock! :D

justchris

Cheesemeister said:

I recommend the Pear for Mario.

For weeks when games on non-Nintendo systems reach excessive numbers, I recommend Space Invaders, with a little ship at the bottom, firing up at the invaders next to games on the other consoles.

cank stoochie said:
so what games are coming up for microsoft to help it get another sales boost

That's a good question. Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey are the only ones I know of, but both of them seem to be pretty far out. I would say Armored Core 4, but considering how badly it did on the PS3, I'd be really surprised to see it do much better on the 360.

Steroyd

Wow GTA San Andreas has legs!!!
Not bad for a foreign game.

When is VF5 meant to come out i thought it was due out during that week?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
nubbe said:
Dishearting to see Pokemon drop like that after only selling 5 million.

D/P combined still makes the top10 with ~40k I think. Given the enormous December sales it isn't that surprising that the sales have dropped off a little but they will probably stick around 30k for a while and have legs like the other big DS games.

Alkaliine said:

The hardware has only just been released...what the **** are you expecting during the early post-launch period? Ask this question in 2008 and the answers will matter

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
PS2 - 4
NDS - 22
PSP - 1
WII - 3

A first? Because I don't think we've seen 22 DS games in the top 30 before. Oh, and the OP should make all the JP sales thread from now on

Jammy

Banned
Alkaliine said:

Not really. Look at the budgets and types of games that have come out for it so far. The Wii is a brand new system and hasn't had enough time to get a high install base yet, either. When there's that many games at launch and you have five games selling over 200,000, there's going to be less room for third party sales. NOA handled their launch better, I think, by bundling Wii Sports and only having Zelda: TP and Excite Truck at launch. North American third party sales on the Wii were great.

There just hasn't been as much time or room for that in Japan yet. However, DBZ: BT2 has sold near 100,000, and Naruto Wii should sell great numbers, too.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I'm sure that Cooking Mama and Naruto are going to have good numbers. I can't see the Wii train stopping for a while, with a march with games like these. Fire Emblem it's gona do numbers close to Zelda, and Zelda will be doing a comeback.

I have the feeling that Wii lacks of a hardcore userbase right now. Those who enjoyed PS2 games will be on the bandwagon later or sooner, but they're not in yet. It's a matter of time and good games. Second System for the win.

Taurus said:
3 pages only so far? :/

I think someone has to nerf Nintendo in Japan immediately.

Well next week and the week after should be interesting for the Sony camp. Lots of notworthy releases that could possibly effect hardware sales. :p

Top Bottom