• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

Link

The Autumn Wind
Furoba said:
I think this year's New Year bonuses will have quite the impact on Japanese PS3 sales during the first few weeks of January. Sometimes a bonus can be as much as one year's worth of salary (Toyota or so), but mostly it is less than that of course.
I don't think price is so much the issue for the PS3 in Japan at this point.

EDIT -
AceBandage said:
So... Super Mario Galaxy...
What's up with that?
Great word of mouth + holiday sales period + new ad campaign

jgwhiteus

Link said:
There's also FF:CC: The Crystal Bearers and FF:CC Wiiware.

And don't worry, regardless of what anyone says, DS remakes of FFV and VI are inevitable.

Is the first one the Wii game that hasn't been heard from for a while, or the DS game (though I think that already came out? Again, too many damn releases) And I forgot about the Wiiware one - that's next month, isn't it? I know the Wii one was rumored to be "in trouble", but I don't know - maybe they're trying to up the quality a bit given the Wii's new userbase (since the first one on GC was apparently crap).

Oh, I'm not worried about the chances of further FF DS remakes. The number of FF1&2 remakes alone pretty much signifies we'll be seeing FF remakes for as long as S-E is around - I mean, they can't port the NES/SNES versions forever.

Link

The Autumn Wind
That's going to be one hell of a delay if they do that. I still think Crystal Bearers will make it out sometime next year. I can't confidently say the same about FFXIII.

ethelred

ComputerNerd said:
Anybody else get the feeling they're delaying Crystal Bearers to release it near FF 13, and rename it as a FF13 spinoff?

No. And if they try that, given the calibre of the team making the game, it's going to backfire on them in a big way.

Link said:
That's going to be one hell of a delay if they do that. I still think Crystal Bearers will make it out sometime next year. I can't confidently say the same about FFXIII.

It's already been delayed over a year now. It was supposed to be a launch game (although SquareEnix knew all along it would never make it out at launch).

What's another year?

Sharp

ethelred said:
I guess so.
Oh, ethelred, you're so determinedly negative. SMG is finally moving up to territory you (and I) never predicted that it would be in, and all you can say is "I guess so?" SMG's comeback makes me a lot happier than FFIV's selling twice as much would have made me, that's for sure.

jgwhiteus

ComputerNerd said:
Anybody else get the feeling they're delaying Crystal Bearers to release it near FF 13, and rename it as a FF13 spinoff?

I thought FFXIII already had two of its very own spinoffs straight out the gate - Vs. and that other one?

I could see them trying to release FF:CB in 2008 to space things out a bit and make up for an otherwise dry console year - I seriously doubt FFXIII will be ready before the holidays. But that depends on how far they've gotten with it and if they've decided to retool it (or scrap it completely).

apujanata

ComputerNerd said:

It is possible, though not likely, IMO. If they do that, they might kill FF13 sales, or Crystal Bearers sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm just going to assume CC:CB is kaput. I suggest people do the same.

KINGMOKU

schuelma said:
Yes, but now we get to speculate as to WHY it was killed.

I wont of course, becuase I want to try and go for a personal best on not bieng banned.

Tron 2.0

Link said:
Great word of mouth + holiday sales period + new ad campaign
Also, and this was mentioned the first Media Create thread with SMG, the Wii's ownership is made up of more casual gamers than other consoles. These gamers aren't the gatebusting type who rush out on the first day to purchase a game. We're seeing Wii games with strong legs because the sales aren't as front loaded.

It's a different sales pattern than we usually see.

Meier

ethelred said:
Comparing this full remake to straight ports is kinda dumb, to be honest. The only real comparison point there is FFIII and it's underperforming that by a lot.

All of the groundwork for this re-release was laid with the FF3 remake. It certainly cost more to port than previous iterations, but I'd imagine it was cheaper to release than FF3 was so similar sales would not be needed to see similar profit. I'm sure it's just gravy at this point.

jgwhiteus

schuelma said:

Yeah, to be honest, I don't mind much either way. The reviews for the first one were pretty bad (though I'm sure it had its merits), so why would I be interested in a sequel to a not-so-good game? I'm pretty much set on the DS being my main RPG machine this gen, unless some amazing games come out for consoles in the next few years (and even FFXIII is a "wait for reviews/impressions" sort of game for me after FFXII).

But I hope Nintendo gets MonolithSoft to do something for the Wii - I don't care what anyone says, I loved me some Xenogears/saga.

I don't think FF:CB is canned, wasn't it being called a completely different game when it was shown at the last SE game show? I think the old version got scrapped and they're starting anew.

BishopLamont said:
I don't think FF:CB is canned, wasn't it being called a completely different game when it was shown at the last SE game show? I think the old version got scrapped and they're starting anew.

Yeah, they completely changed it between E3 06 and the next showing.
Also, remember when FF:CC DS was first announced before the DS launched?
How long was it before we got real info on it? Well over a year, that's for sure.

Zen

Banned
Hey Inafune, you want to know why Battle Network and Zero sold so well initially? because they were something NEW. Well, ok, Zero was just a new twist and time period upon classic MMX, but seriously, the concept and battle system of Network was fresh adn new, MAKE A NEW MEGAMAN SERIES WITH A FRESH SPIN NOT JUST REHASH NETWORK AND MAKE A HALF HEARTED EFFORT AND MAKING A NEW MMX/Z UPDATE.

ivysaur12

Banned
BishopLamont said:

This is probably what's happening. How many iterations the game has gone through, we'll never know.

Zen said:
Hey Inafune, you want to know why Battle Network and Zero sold so well initially? because they were something NEW. Well, ok, Zero was just a new twist and time period upon classic MMX, but seriously, the concept and battle system of Network was fresh adn new, MAKE A NEW MEGAMAN SERIES WITH A FRESH SPIN NOT JUST REHASH NETWORK AND MAKE A HALF HEARTED EFFORT AND MAKING A NEW MMX/Z UPDATE.
I'd be all over MMX9 (or call it a new series), in classic SNES style for the DS.

Linkup

That sucks if FFCCCCCCCB was changed, I liked what I saw.

Actually, I thought the team was the same as the wiiware title and they were simply delayed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
moku said:
:lol Smartass.

Yeah, Smash Brothers*Mejilan*#1. With the install base of the DS, that game could sell numbers that would boggle the damn mind. I would guess around 20million.

No unless it was awesome sprite based goodness with a different control scheme

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ethelred said:

Don't know if that would prove much, tho. It's easy to assume such in the first week, but by the time the second or third week came around, most believed (and yes, I believe you too) that it wouldn't reach even Sunshine's sales.

Zen

Banned
BishopLamont said:
I'd be all over MMX9 (or call it a new series), in classic SNES style for the DS.

I'd be all over MMX9 were it an extension of the awesome ideas and execution they showed us in X8, maybe with the levels in general being a little more complicated (though they're more complicated than X4, and everyone loved X4) ditch those chase levels, or actually do them well at any rate. Well ok, The problem if that ZX is just underwhelming, and the new Starforce is just a rehash of Battle Network, so yeah, either go back to the fundamentals of the original and X series, or make a brand new MM universe again with a fresh game idea. Don't rehash the spin offs or retread old ground too closely. I mean it has been shown that when the MM series does something new and does it well, that people will buy a lot of copies, in the long run, developing a hot new MM series will probably pay out a larger sum to Inafune and Capcom than just rehashing old elements like they're doing with Star Force and ZX.

Jammy

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
All 7 of those Wii games on the top 30 are 1st party.

Yeah, but Sega really developed the game. It's just being published in Japan by Nintendo (Sega did it themselves everywhere else).

justchris

Jammy said:
Yeah, but Sega really developed the game. It's just being published in Japan by Nintendo (Sega did it themselves everywhere else).

Because 3rd party games don't sell in Japan.

Sega finally did something right?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
justchris said:
Because 3rd party games don't sell in Japan.

Sega finally did something right?

Yeah, they put Mario in a game and gave him a slightly higher billing.

jgwhiteus

Agent Icebeezy said:

Even though I think 3rd party games will eventually sell on Wii, I agree that M&S isn't the best example - I doubt "Sonic & Friends at the Olympic Games" would have sold nearly as well. Nintendo and Mario are just much stronger brands.

But I'm sure Sega's not complaining. I guess they've already sold 1M worldwide as of now (300K+ in Japan, 350K-ish in November's NPD, to say nothing of December sales, #1 title in the UK, etc.) - I can see them pretty much reaching their 4M worldwide goal for the Wii & DS versions.

And all this after having a 15K first day and 60K first week in Japan.

loosus

Banned
A SEGA GAME
starring Mario and friends, along with Sonic's shitty friends taking second billing
IS SELLING WELL!

Man, FFIV really isn't performing as well as I would've liked and hoped.

Most of the other games seem to be doing fine. Bye bye, Tales of Innocence. We hardly knew you.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
...and others, for that matter.

That's true.

perfectchaos007 said:

Linkup said:
Actually, I thought the team was the same as the wiiware title and they were simply delayed.

Nope, they're definitely different teams. Akitoshi Kawazu is executive producing both, but Crystal Bearers was being made by, presumably, mostly the staff from the original. The character designer from the first game, Toshiyuki Itahana, was directing. Little King is being directed by Kenichiro Yuji, the director of Front Mission Online. The super-awesome Toshiro Tsuchida is producing it and Motomu Toriyama is doing the scenario. It's a pretty good team. It's nice that there are some strategy game veterans working on a simulation/RPG hybrid, because I think that experience will be directly relevant to what they're making.

EDIT: Oh! Interesting. If it's the same Kenichiro Yuji, he also worked on Kessen II.

Oblivion said:
Don't know if that would prove much, tho. It's easy to assume such in the first week, but by the time the second or third week came around, most believed (and yes, I believe you too) that it wouldn't reach even Sunshine's sales.

I made a joke once to rile up a couple of people, but I stand by my original prediction that the game would be a million seller!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zen said:
I'd be all over MMX9 were it an extension of the awesome ideas and execution they showed us in X8, maybe with the levels in general being a little more complicated (though they're more complicated than X4, and everyone loved X4) ditch those chase levels, or actually do them well at any rate. Well ok, The problem if that ZX is just underwhelming, and the new Starforce is just a rehash of Battle Network, so yeah, either go back to the fundamentals of the original and X series, or make a brand new MM universe again with a fresh game idea. Don't rehash the spin offs or retread old ground too closely. I mean it has been shown that when the MM series does something new and does it well, that people will buy a lot of copies, in the long run, developing a hot new MM series will probably pay out a larger sum to Inafune and Capcom than just rehashing old elements like they're doing with Star Force and ZX.

Zero was the best MM series IMO..and it didnt overstay its welcome, a first

Mega Man Zero is the best 2D subseries of Mega Man.

And I wonder how many people who knock Mega Man Battle Network actually played the game. I do agree Star Force is a pale shadow, however.

apujanata

Agent Icebeezy said:

Are you saying that if the title is "Sonic & Mario at the Olympic", it will sell as well as it is now ?

SuomiDude

perfectchaos007 said:
The only PS3 game in top 30 is 1st party, and XBox 360 doesn't have any games in top 30 at all, so it doesn't really matter.

If your point was to show how bad 3rd party support is on Wii.

Top Bottom