• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

Haunted

f@luS said:
Yeah ,its current gen.
Wii gfx will be soon 10 years old graphic (2/3 years) .
Im not saying they will stop buying wii , im just saying that in 2/3 years next gen games will be so mind blowing they wont be able to stop themselves from buying , especially at "my guess" a 200/300$ ps3 (in 2/3 years) max.
There's the problem. The PS3 will start selling well in 2009/2010? It will be too late by then.

PantherLotus said:
I think people like that are forgetting that bad sales are exponential and compounding. Bad sales beget less games beget even worse sales.

You think it's bad now? They have exactly ONE YEAR to change everything.

ziran

According to Sony, PS3 is a digital hub, whereas Wii is a games console:
Sony Computer Entertainment Australia's Managing Director Michael Ephraim:
...Back to the Wii comment, we have to compare apples with apples. They do not have these kind of applications. We think PS3 is not a product to be compared with Wii, it is a completely different product. This is a digital hub, that is a games console...
This explains why PS3 has been selling poorly on a games console chart. I'm sure PS3 is doing very well on the digital hub chart. Therefore, as a game selling on a digital hub, Gundam Musou's sales are no doubt excellent, and for a game to double the sales of digital hub must be equally impressive.

In other words, Sony has lost the plot completely. In the real world 180k for Gundam Musou is expected, but nevertheless disappointing, and for the game to only double hw sales, which were ~20k per week, is bad.

PantherLotus said:
I think people like that are forgetting that bad sales are exponential and compounding. Bad sales beget less games beget even worse sales.

You think it's bad now? They have exactly ONE YEAR to change everything.

I say they have far less than that. Sony has no more than 8 months to turn things around. If the Wii is still dominating by this holiday season, the war is over.

And unless Sony has some surefire megat0ns to drop at GDC, then we can pretty much declare a Winner for Japan.

Sony needed to come out strong, as did Nintendo. Nintendo did it, and people won't wait for Sony to respond. Slowly but surely, the PS2 fanbase is being siphoned away, and it's not by the PS3.

P90 said:
Do you live in Japan? Do "non-games" limit your gaming choices on the DS or other platforms? No one holds a gun to my head, making me play "non-games" instead of "games". Maybe in your part of the world that isn't true.
Huh? You should read my post carefully...I'm not having any problem with the so called non-games. Actually I own BT, BBA and bought English Training for my girl friend.
I have a problem though with people calling them non-games because they don't fit the description which was once "invented" to classify AC, which strays from a classic gaming formula.
Plus I'm just as tired as you are about all these "lolz non-games" bandwaggon type of posters.

Wiitard

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Developers won't jump ship so easily, with the current development cycles it isn't easy either. I don't have the slightest doubt that PS3 will easily surpass X360, which is pretty much shunned by the majority of people (at least here in Germany) because PC gaming is still going strong and results in a lack of attractive software (most see the light on PC as well, GoW not getting released here didn't help either).
But this is the Media Create Sales thread, so this discussion is better taking place elsewhere.

I think you have a point about this being a Media Create tread, but ultimately it's about sales and right now Japanese sales leave rather narrow room for rational disagreement (Gundam M killed Media create fun!).

You may be right about Germany. My point is we will know in two weeks.

And you are right about a lot of developers being locked in already. But certainly port development cycles are not quite as long. And what may be going on is developers putting PS3 projects at the back burner during the last few months and waiting for the big Euro launch news. Now if you are right about PS3 taking Europe by storm, I think there will also be a bunch of announcments - of new projects and ports.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
f@luS said:
Yeah ,its current gen.
Im not saying they will stop buying wii , im just saying that in 2/3 years next gen games will be so mind blowing they wont be able to stop themselves from buying , especially at "my guess" a 200/300$ ps3 (in 2/3 years) max.

Stop the insanity.

1. Wii has more power than has been shown, so the "10 year old" graphic bit is just a needless (and inaccurate) troll.
2. "SO MIND BLOWING THEY WONT BE ABLE TO STOP THEMSELVES" :lol :lol
3. $200-300? :lol In 2-3 years? :lol

Dude, just stop. You can't get a tag just by being blatantly stupid.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
I don't think 40k in a week is that bad, what did you expect from this platform while it tends to be the second platform in Japan this generation?
I'm sure it'll sell more than what GC did last gen. :)

Wiitard

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
I say they have far less than that. Sony has no more than 8 months to turn things around. If the Wii is still dominating by this holiday season, the war is over.

And unless Sony has some surefire megat0ns to drop at GDC, then we can pretty much declare a Winner for Japan.

Sony needed to come out strong, as did Nintendo. Nintendo did it, and people won't wait for Sony to respond. Slowly but surely, the PS2 fanbase is being siphoned away, and it's not by the PS3.

I think you are right but conditional of having at least a pretty decent Euro launch. If the Euro launch is not so hot then it's really hard to see any kind of comeback short of pulling the GTA3 of this generation.

I don't think that there are a lot of developers "locked in" to the PS3. It seems that only the big 3rd party studios have things in development, as well as Sony's 1st and 2nd party devs.

People keep pointing to MGS4 and FFXIII as sticking points, but what else is there beyond that from a Japanese perspective? Tekken DR, Ridge Racer? I think it will be a lot easier for Japanese developers to switch development from the PS3 to the Wii than is being let on.

P90

Phife Dawg said:
Huh? You should read my post carefully...I'm not having any problem with the so called non-games. Actually I own BT, BBA and bought English Training for my girl friend.
I have a problem though with people calling them non-games because they don't fit the description which was once "invented" to classify AC, which strays from a classic gaming formula.
Plus I'm just as tired as you are about all these "lolz non-games" bandwaggon type of posters.

Looks like I need rif.com! and not jump to conclusions! :lol

My bad.

f@luS said:
Yeah ,its current gen.

Graphics aside, what kind of games will be released in 2-3 years time with these kinds of sales?

The DS has the worst graphics of any of the major systems in Japan right now (they are literally over 10 years old), and it's running away from all of them. At least in Japan, graphics don't matter nearly as much as you think.

f@luS

More than a member.
PantherLotus said:
Stop the insanity.

1. Wii has more power than has been shown, so the "10 year old" graphic bit is just a needless (and inaccurate) troll.
2. "SO MIND BLOWING THEY WONT BE ABLE TO STOP THEMSELVES" :lol :lol
3. $200-300? :lol In 2-3 years? :lol

Dude, just stop. You can't get a tag just by being blatantly stupid.

1. And Its still current gen hardware and not much more powerful than xbox so we will stick to last gen gfx.
2. Whats so lol about that?
3. its already 300-400$ in japan (20/60gb) whats so wrong?

stop 10smiley/msg , thats so kiddie and it makes nobody want to answer.Thx

starship said:
I don't think 40k in a week is that bad, what did you expect from this platform while it tends to be the second platform in Japan this generation?

Maybe. And that's the really wacky bit.

f@luS said:
1. And Its still current gen hardware and not much more powerful than xbox so we will stick to last gen gfx.

It's hard not to laugh. Your post was so ridiculous.

The Power of the PS3 will turn consumers into zombies confirmed.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Graphics aside, what kind of games will be released in 2-3 years time with these kinds of sales?

The DS has the worst graphics of any of the major systems in Japan right now (they are literally over 10 years old), and it's running away from all of them. At least in Japan, graphics don't matter nearly as much as you think.
Did you find the pic (or gif) you was searching for? :D

f@luS

More than a member.
DeaconKnowledge said:
It's hard not to laugh. Your post was so ridiculous.

The Power of the PS3 will turn consumers into zombies confirmed.

I said something like that? oh crap. ..

I lol'ed about the "its lost in japan for ps3" , this was just bs in my opinion, much too soon to say anything like that

starship said:
Did you find the pic (or gif) you was searching for? :D

Yeah, sorry for that brain fart last night. :lol

On another note, is the PS3 situation in Japan like the one in the states, where the 20GB are impossible to find, and the 60GB are everywhere? If so, Sony's $400 pricetag may be as big a myth as the $500 pricetag over here.

Bebpo

Banned
f@luS said:

bahahahaha, what?

One day sale aside, it's still 50000yen-60000yen, which changes in US daily because of the exchange rate but even today that's still $450-$550.

f@luS said:

1. We still have no idea what the Wii is capable of, but if it's better than the Xbox that at least puts it at 2002 tech, so no, in three years it won't be ten years old. But simple addition can be a devil at times, I'm sure.

2. It's "lol" because you expect people to abandon the popular system and go buy what will be, at that time, a dead system. Who will be making these super awesome looking games by that time? Because you'll be lucky if anyone is supporting the PS3 with full-budget games that appeal to the Japanese if these sales numbers continue.

3. The actual prices in Japan are 425/open for the 20/60. That the PS3 can be found cheaper than that is not a good sign, I assure you of that. And as for 200/300, that's a price drop of more than 50% and 225/X dollars. Look at the PSP...heck, look at the PS2, which comparatively had generous price drops. Do you really think that the PS3 will be 200$ in three years unless it's completely dead in the water?

I agree about the smileys though. So I guess that's the one thing you've got.

ziran

DeaconKnowledge said:

I'm wondering if Sony even knows what the problems are?

It's too convenient for them to put it all down to price, as the gaming media and so many on this forum do. As far as Japan is concerned price is obviously only part of the problem, the bigger stumbling blocks for PS3 are:
- The shifting in tastes of the Japanese market
- The decline in popularity of many franchises
- Development costs which are too high
- Nintendo becoming hugely popular once again on the back of EAD and their other internal teams

starship said:
40k isn't terrible, but I was meaning bad in the context of Gundam Musou being the combination of two massive franchises, PS3 being the successor to PS2 and no more major releases dated for PS3.

There was a lot riding on Gundam Musou, if these figures are correct and sales don't pick up next week, I don't think it delivered.

f@luS

More than a member.
Bebpo said:
bahahahaha, what?

One day sale aside, it's still 50000yen-60000yen, which changes in US daily because of the exchange rate but even today that's still $450-$550.

my mistake , i meant 200/300euros (living in EU) and right now , its 300/400euros with the current exchange rate (which didnt change almost the past 4/5 years ....)

f@luS

More than a member.
Segata Sanshiro said:
1. We still have no idea what the Wii is capable of, but if it's better than the Xbox that at least puts it at 2002 tech, so no, in three years it won't be ten years old. But simple addition can be a devil at times, I'm sure.

2. It's "lol" because you expect people to abandon the popular system and go buy what will be, at that time, a dead system. Who will be making these super awesome looking games by that time? Because you'll be lucky if anyone is supporting the PS3 with full-budget games that appeal to the Japanese if these sales numbers continue.

3. The actual prices in Japan are 425/open for the 20/60. That the PS3 can be found cheaper than that is not a good sign, I assure you of that. And as for 200/300, that's a price drop of more than 50% and 225/X dollars. Look at the PSP...heck, look at the PS2, which comparatively had generous price drops. Do you really think that the PS3 will be 200$ in three years unless it's completely dead in the water?

I agree about the smileys though. So I guess that's the one thing you've got.

1. We can still guess , and the biggest leap in this gen is the HD.Wii aint hd.
2. I never said abandon, a lot of gamers have many systems, im just saying they will want one day , a wow factor. This fact (/guess) + some japanese games (FF) will make it happens i think.
3.See before , was my misake

Basically what it comes down to is that Sony thought they were dictating the market, and are now being unpleasantly surprised when they turn around to see the market took a right at Albequerque. They no longer seem to have a good idea of what the market wants, because they thought the market wanted whatever Sony wanted.

This is affectionately known as the "Nintendo Folly".

f@lus said:
2. I never said abandon, a lot of gamers have many systems, im just saying they will want one day , a wow factor. This fact (/guess) + some japanese games (FF) will make it happens i think.
3.See before , was my misake

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point. I just don't think it applies to the Japanese market. I think it's certainly a somewhat valid concern for the Wii in western markets, but if the last four years have taught us anything, it's that Japan really isn't terribly concerned with "Wow factor".

Wiitard

Banned
ziran said:

It's too convenient for them to put it all down to price, as the gaming media and so many on this forum do. As far as Japan is concerned price is obviously only part of the problem, the bigger stumbling blocks for PS3 are:
- The shifting in tastes of the Japanese market
- The decline in popularity of many franchises
- Development costs which are too high
- Nintendo becoming hugely popular once again on the back of EAD and their other internal teams

But there is really not much they can do about any of those things. What they should be focusing now is to make sure they will be getting timely ports of most Western 360 games - apparently porting from 360 to PS3 is considerably more difficult than from PS2 to Xbox (and this for early 360 games which did not push the hardware all that hard) and the third parties have to spend the extra money on Blu-Ray disks (were any games for PS3 released on DVDs at all?).

ziran said:

I suspect they do, but I also suspect there's very little they can do about them now that the wheels are in motion. Planning for new systems can take years, development of key titles just as long and the strategy behind the pricing/features etc. is set out well in advance of launch. Changes to those elements can't be made overnight & if major missteps are made, then correcting them is difficult or impossible.

Bolded a couple of sections just to make a point: all this talk of the "wow" factor, or generational leaps seems to relate to graphics. What that overlooks is that - especially to the more casual audience - the Wii controls also represent a leap and offer up a similar "wow" factor, no matter how much some of the GAF hardcore like to sneer at "waggle".

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
f@luS said:

1. Your lables are meaningless, as is the relevance of such a statement. Thinking that it will somehow make a difference this gen is absurd.

2. "So mind-blowing" doesn't make you giggle at least a little? It sounds ridiculous. As if graphic capability magically makes people buy overpriced systems? C'mon.

3. You think that Sony will break precendent and sell a system for less than 50% of its initial MSRP in less than 5 years? Do you have any clue how absurd that is?

4. Sorry about the smilies. Your assertions were so kiddy I thought you'd appreciate somebody laughing at your jokes.

Mudhoney

f@luS said:
Yeah ,its current gen.

Mind-blowing games with tons of sparks are still only targeting the hardcore market. That market is huge, don't get me wrong, but it seems like the general theme behind the whole outdated Wii argument is that Nintendo will just sit back while Sony and MS pump out the goodies. You can bet if Nintendo has their way, that Wii will be seen as a fun, healthy, and useful product for everyone and their pet, and not just in Japan.

Even if the PS3 is $200-$300 as you say in 2-3 years, you have to wonder where the Wii will be in terms of price and features at that time also. Nintendo is in a position where they can probably match any pricing strategy the other companies implement.

I'm of the opinion that if Nintendo ropes in the casuals as they would like to, that Wii will have plenty of lifetime with excellent sales. This will only happen if Nintendo is able to come up with the software to hook their target market (Wii Health says hi), which I think they are totally capable of doing after their successful experiment in the DS.

So what happens if your predictions come true and Wii does lose momentum over the years? It's hard to tell, but Nintendo would always have the hardware revision option, which who knows would work or not. Or an early (by console standards) release of a successor system could be their contingency plan. I'm all out of foresight in that area.

Eteric Rice

PantherLotus said:
1. Your lables are meaningless, as is the relevance of such a statement. Thinking that it will somehow make a difference this gen is absurd.

2. "So mind-blowing" doesn't make you giggle at least a little? It sounds ridiculous. As if graphic capability magically makes people buy overpriced systems? C'mon.

3. You think that Sony will break precendent and sell a system for less than 50% of its initial MSRP in less than 5 years? Do you have any clue how absurd that is?

4. Sorry about the smilies. Your assertions were so kiddy I thought you'd appreciate somebody laughing at your jokes.

Agreed. HD won't save it in Japan. I have my doubts about it saving it in the west, as most people I know aren't as anal about HD as some people here.

No offence to the HDTV owners (I'm one). What I'm trying to say is that most people aren't worried as much about image quality as many of us are. At least, not around here. : /

Durante

Japanese market trends scare me. I was really looking forward to playing my favourite JRPG series in HD. Now it looks like I'll have to count myself lucky if I don't get them in 192p.

Why does Japan hate next-gen?

felipeko

PantherLotus said:
For me it's the main point.
I really don't care to wait price goes down while i play something cheap.
And most of casual/nongamers/lapsed think the same way, just look at ps2 sales over the years... If most ppl really care about graphics they would have bought ps2 a long time ago...
So IMO most ppl will just buy a wii, cos it have a accessible price (not cheap), and will wait for price goes down playing wii..

But when price goes down, wii flux of games will no longer be stoppable.. and ppl will continue with the system.. Untill next-gen arrives (that should be right after price get accessible anyway, and i don't mean only system price, i mean the whole HDTV set, cos it's the only way to really enjoy ps3/x360)

They sure love one next-gen system.

Durante said:
Japanese market trends scare me. I was really looking forward to playing my favourite JRPG series in HD. Now it looks like I'll have to count myself lucky if I don't get them in 192p.

Jesus, not this shit again.

P90 said:
Looks like I need rif.com! and not jump to conclusions! :lol

My bad.
No harm done, no hard feelings :D . The funny thing with the so called non-games is that Sony had a relatively big campaign for their application "Talkman" (a couple of thousand phrases in different languages)-I haven't seen anyone complaining about that. Plus Sims is pretty much the textbook example of a non-game as Iwata envisioned it. I guess the GAF-title non-game really does depend on the success of the software and the plattform it's released on.

How about this?
Who cares

PS3 and Wii are still on sale regardless of how much each sold. They all sell like crap compared to DS.
DS has shown that if you have a product that really does appeal to everyone, then everyone will buy it in their Hundreds of thousands EACH WEEK and not 10’s of thousands. I think if Wii had the supply it might get up towards 100,000 a week though (only for a while though).

PS3 will pick up eventually and i hope this year too, as from what i read today from some Aussie magazine interview with Reggie Nintendo are targeting this years holiday season as the we’ll win or lose time. Additional plants manufacturing product, new partnership channels (which he states some go against the appealing to the masses ethos they have), software of all types going into and through the season.
Its a really good read. I think online and 2 of the 3 big titles will launch here, with lots of non game type software.

ylvis_

Banned
Durante said:

Akk! I hate that sentence. You get the urge to kill the poster. Mod: Please ban everyone in the future who posts "Why does Japan hate next-gen?".

Phife Dawg said:
No harm done, no hard feelings :D . The funny thing with the so called non-games is that Sony had a relatively big campaign for their application "Talkman" (a couple of thousand phrases in different languages)-I haven't seen anyone complaining about that. Plus Sims is pretty much the textbook example of a non-game as Iwata envisioned it. I guess the GAF-title non-game really does depend on the success of the software and the plattform it's released on.

The GAF definition of "Non-Game" is any Nintendo franchise that sells over a million units.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I can't believe people are still bringing up the "HD-Graphics will sell systems in the future" argument. Graphics don't sell games, gameplay does. The Wii will outsell both of its high powered counterparts on this fact alone. And no, they will never catch up.

ylvis_ said:
Akk! I hate that sentence. You get the urge to kill the poster. Mod: Please ban everyone in the future who posts "Why does Japan hate next-gen?".
Well, I don't really have a problem with that sentence, because, whether you want it or not, a lot of people will never ever consider the Wii to be "next-gen". But the sentence "Why does Japan hate gaming" gets a big rolleyes from me.

It's not that Japanese tastes have failed to account for the "next-gen" systems. It's that the "next-gen" systems have failed to account for Japanese tastes.

Yes, that's right. Vince didn't screw Bret. Bret screwed Bret.

Souldriver said:
Well, I don't really have a problem with that sentence, because, whether you want it or not, a lot of people will never ever consider the Wii to be "next-gen". But the sentence "Why does Japan hate gaming" gets a big rolleyes from me.

Who determines what qualifies as "next gen." Nintendo has always launched its consoles around the $200 price tag, with the right amount of next-gen technology to correspond with that cost, but now they're expected to change their tradition, pack their systems with unnecessary garbage, and have graphics on pace with certain PC games in order to be considered next-gen?

The Wii is next gen. The fact that Nintendo has not priced their system out of the range of casual buyers -- a practice they've maintained for 20+ years -- while their competitors have elected to do so is irrelevant.

NintendosBooger said:
Who determines what qualifies as "next gen." Nintendo has always launched its consoles around the $200 price tag, with the right amount of next-gen technology to correspond with that cost, but now they're expected to change their tradition, pack their systems with unnecessary garbage, and have graphics on pace with certain PC games in order to be considered next-gen?

The Wii is next gen. The fact that Nintendo has not priced their system out of the range of casual buyers -- a practice they've maintained for 20+ years -- while their competitors have elected to do so is irrelevant.
Well, I didn't say the Wii is current gen. But I'm just saying you should accept the fact that a lot of people do think the Wii is, it'll save you a lot of trouble and frustration. Some people define "next gen" by the power of the console, others by the year it comes to the market, ... I don't know if there's a perfect definition for next gen.

Top Bottom