• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/4 - 2/10

jgwhiteus said:
I can't tell if this is sarcasm...I thought HD-DVD vs. BluRay was never an issue in Japan, since HD-DVD was already dead in the water there (?)

EDIT: and while sales are sorta down in general, for the week Wii>PS3+PSP+PS2 by Famitsu's numbers - it's really holding up well.
Yeah it was sarcasm, aimed at the people thinking that now the format "war" is over, PS3 will have big ad-hoc sales.

Lightning said:
Frustration. Only a very small drop from last week but the fact that the hardware is a 5to1 scenario again makes it clear that Japan don't want the PS3, so why continue to waste money on them? Japan clearly don't want the PS3 so it's not exactly like Sony are losing anything and I am not talking about withdrawing from Japan but merely shifting more focus onto Europe and NA where the PS3 is not being completely rejected.
Seeing the software SCE has released thus far I think it's pretty apparent they've been focusing on the west more anyways.

I hope pretty decent Family Ski sales will encourage 3rd parties to develop games for the balance board.

SMG still moves some numbers, i think we have to wait for half year chart to see if it reaches 1mln or not... GW will help its sales

Those PS3 numbers line up pretty well with what has historically transpired in these contests. When Japan picks a market leader, they stick to it, moreso than other territories -- so it doesn't really surprise me to see PS3 sink back to low momentum levels like that. The Wii, on the other hand, is all taken care of for another six months, I think -- it's going to take a while before people get sick of Wii Fit and Smash, and by that point Animal Crossing will probably be out....

Honestly, there's probably not that much that Sony can really do to pick up momentum in Japan again in the short term. In the US, their pricing efforts and BluRay seem like they may actually give the system an extended boost; in Japan, it looks like that boost is already spent and we're back to the week-by-week waiting game for individual titles.

Nice performance by Disgaea 3. This pretty much puts paid to any "shouldn't have gone with PS3!" theories, I think -- it probably would have done worse on the Wii. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
charlequin said:
Those PS3 numbers line up pretty well with what has historically transpired in these contests. When Japan picks a market leader, they stick to it, moreso than other territories -- so it doesn't really surprise me to see PS3 sink back to low momentum levels like that. The Wii, on the other hand, is all taken care of for another six months, I think -- it's going to take a while before people get sick of Wii Fit and Smash, and by that point Animal Crossing will probably be out....

Add Mario Kart and probably Wii Music as well.

They still need more though to really take advantage of the situation and get those PS2 owners to convert.

MisterHero

charlequin said:
Nice performance by Disgaea 3. This pretty much puts paid to any "shouldn't have gone with PS3!" theories, I think -- it probably would have done worse on the Wii. :lol
no time spent in MC top 5 = bomba

j/k, good for disgaea

Haunted

creamsugar said:
DSL 59000
PSP 51000
Wii 80000
PS3 18000

PS2 10000
360 3000
Lttp, but wow at the difference. Shortest comeback ever?

charlequin said:

Honestly, there's probably not that much that Sony can really do to pick up momentum in Japan again in the short term. In the US, their pricing efforts and BluRay seem like they may actually give the system an extended boost; in Japan, it looks like that boost is already spent and we're back to the week-by-week waiting game for individual titles.
Good points.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
charlequin said:

There's no doubt in my mind that Mario Kart Wii will be the next big "chart permapresence", at least a few months before Animal Crossing. Moor-Angol just added annual charts to JGC and when I went to check it out (he just has the Famitsu top 100 there for now) I noticed that Mario Kart DS was the 11th best selling title last year and wracked up 910k sales without ever really popping into the top 10.

I think the real question is whether or not they should have gone with the PS2 instead of the PS3. While the overall PS2 market is way down, the titles still being released are putting up the same level of sales as they always have.

Xavien

So PSP is falling and the PS3 is going back to bottoming out. DS is staying steady and the Wii has turned into a monster.

After the craziness of the last two months, things are starting to return back to normal.

Has the mega-bump from the Slim/FF7:CC combo finally started to wear off?

Busaiku

Xavien said:
So PSP is falling and the PS3 is going back to bottoming out. DS is staying steady and the Wii has turned into a monster.

After the craziness of the last two months, things are starting to return back to normal.

Once again, these are in-line with what Famitsu had the numbers at 2/3 weeks ago (and it's been doing about that after holiday season was over.

Media-Create is what had the number higher.

Last week was high due to the new bundle/color.

So these sales are about the norm, what we got last week was a bump.
Also Media-Create numbers may be different as well.

^
It seems the PSP stable average is about 50k a week, which is inline with NA PSP sales. Not shabby at all considering the SW sales.

The PS3 needs a Devil May Bump everk week it seems.

Innotech

Banned
Xavien said:

Wii and DS seem to have established semi-permanent legs that characterize a leading console in Japan. They dont require as many bumps to keep selling week to week. Thats the thing about the Ps3. It needs large games to establish good sales, instead of just being picked up in high numbers per week for the full library. This is also why 2008 will not be "Ps3s year" so much as "a successful year for Ps3"

mutsu

Moor-Angol said:
I hope pretty decent Family Ski sales will encourage 3rd parties to develop games for the balance board.

I don't think Family Ski's sales has much relations to the balance board. Most of the game is designed to play without it.

Top Bottom