• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/4 - 2/10

Lobster

Banned
iidesuyo said:
The 3 PSP games have probably sold as many units as the 14 DS games. Not that it will keep the "PSP sells no games, lol" crowd from bitching.

No they haven't :lol

Only 3 of the 14 DS games.

27./25. [NDS] After-School Boy (Konami)
28./24. [NDS] Nep League DS (Jaleco)
29./32. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)

Busaiku

sphinx said:
mmhh.. I think you haven't been following media create threads in the last months.

for a Wii 3rd party game to appear on the MC top 30 list, no matter when, no matter what, took a freaking miracle to happen.

most wii 3rd party games are lucky to sell 4000 copies...
Yeah, but when the last 5 of the top 30 could very well be 4k-...(though it hasn't been the case for Famitsu, it is possible for MC)

iidesuyo

Lobster said:
No they haven't :lol

Only 3 of the 14 DS games.

27./25. [NDS] After-School Boy (Konami)
28./24. [NDS] Nep League DS (Jaleco)
29./32. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)

...this week :D

edit: last week of course

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Besides, any true Sony fanboy would ignore the software situation as a whole, say that Giren has Galaxyesque legs, and mention how the tide has finally turned with the PSP consistantly outselling the DS.

I think this one failed to read the talking points this morning.

Lobster said:
Why bother comparing weeks sales when its LTD that matters the most :\

Because the PSP is going to eventually take over the DS and will have such amazing SW and HW sales that it will have Final Fantasy IVX. Obviously.

Lobster

Banned
ddk said:
ds = ivan drago
psp = rocky

Rocky beats out Ivan Drago though :\

If anything the Rocky VS Ivan Dragon was at the beginning of the handheld gen when PSP was already declared winner by everyone and was thumping (not by heaps though) DS in America and Europe.

iidesuyo said:
With that logic PS2 would be king. The current sales are bringing money...

The Ps2 was king last gen..we're talking this gen now.

360vsWiivsPs3 DSvsPSP

Innotech

Banned
Elbrain said:
Hahahah I love the DS and Psp one cause I am watching the move right now!
except the DS wont be defeated by PSP.
And besides that, didnt sony plan it the other way around? DS was supposed to bow before the mighty PSP.

Lobster

Banned
Innotech said:
except the DS wont be defeated by PSP.
And besides that, didnt sony plan it the other way around? DS was supposed to bow before the mighty PSP.

mhm, GAF also said this.

iidesuyo

Innotech said:
nope. DS passed up Ps2 in Japan. its almost a million up on it.

We're talking about software, though.

The Ps2 was king last gen..we're talking this gen now.

I don't see PS2 as last gen, it's still alive and kicking and selling games. It's hardware specs are not much behind the Wii.

Edit: after reading again I see what you mean, but right now PS2 is still a player.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
This is from the other thread but I added it way at the tail end, so most people probably missed it. I hope you don't mind me reposting it.
Notes:

1. Will has the lowest stock I have seen in a long time. I guess Smash lowered stock but regardless it was only sold out at a few stores. Wii systems can still be found easily.

2. PS3 is the same as usual, but the units have all been moved to the front with the DMC4 displays, so it looks like there are more.

4. SSBB was only available at 2 stores. It was sold out at the others. Yamada Denki had a sign apologizing for it being sold out and one of the employees had drawn a picture of Kirby crying. It also says they expect more soon.

5. SSBB FINALLY has posters up and flyers you can take. Of course it's funny that they arrived now when no one can buy the game.

7. I was shocked to see a fairly sizable display set-up for WE2008 Wii. There were 3 posters and a chart explaining the game controls at Yamada Denki. There is also a kiosk being set up at Wanpaku. It's nothing compared to the advertising for DMC or the PS2/s60.PS3 version of WE (a few months ago), but it's much more than I expected.

8. The local Otaku are playing Smash and two of them picked up Oneechanbara. really the hardcore otaku is the only demographic that bought it. They are currently talking about the DS Sakura Taisen game. Several of them are getting it but all are worried about the changes made to the game system. Despited being an Otaku favorite, I expect STDS to not sell very well (but still profit since it's a DS title).

Nice news about the H/W (Wii & PS3).

Lol at #4 & #5. Especially the Pikachu crying picture. Any chance you can get a better picture of that one ? The one you posted is blurreedddddd.

Nice to hear about WE 2008 Wii. I have high hopes for this (revolutionary) game. I hope it do well, so we can get more game in the future.

IIRC, you also bough Noeechanbara for Wii. Does this mean you are one of those "hardcore otaku" ? :D

So Brawl will beat Melee's LTD in a maximum of 4 weeks - not bad.

Evenball said:
Family ski is still in the top ten? hmm...
In actual fact it moved up to the Top10.

sphinx said:
mmhh.. I think you haven't been following media create threads in the last months.

for a Wii 3rd party game to appear on the MC top 30 list, no matter when, no matter what, took a freaking miracle to happen.

most wii 3rd party games are lucky to sell 4000 copies...
That's stretching it a bit though. Anyways what is this game about? Gyroball is that workout ball for the underarm, right? A game that simulates such a ball with the Wiimote?

Neo C.

Vinnk said:
4. SSBB was only available at 2 stores. It was sold out at the others. Yamada Denki had a sign apologizing for it being sold out and one of the employees had drawn a picture of Kirby crying. It also says they expect more soon.

5. SSBB FINALLY has posters up and flyers you can take. Of course it's funny that they arrived now when no one can buy the game.
Can we expect 150k+ next week? How high is the demand?

Polari

apujanata said:
Especially the Pikachu crying picture. Any chance you can get a better picture of that one ? The one you posted is blurreedddddd.

Jesus you guys are demanding.

Family Ski sales are nothing to write home about. That people are even making mention of it says more about just how badly third party titles have been doing on Wii than it does about anything else.

If someone could explain Mario Kart DS's near superhuman staying power to me, I'd appreciate it. The Brain Training titles have disappeared, New Super Mario Bros., despite being released far later, places lower than it and Animal Crossing is teetering on the brink a whole 15 places behind it. What's Mario Kart got that those other titles haven't?

Mario Kart Wii is going to be a beast.

cvxfreak said:
Melee actually made it to 1.5M in Japan, according to Media Create.

http://geimin.net/da/06/rank_mc.php

Game #313
Oh I thought it was at 1.2m - well then it'll take a while longer :lol .

Polari said:
Jesus you guys are demanding.

Family Ski sales are nothing to write home about. That people are even making mention of it says more about just how badly third party titles have been doing on Wii than it does about anything else.

If someone could explain Mario Kart DS's near superhuman staying power to me, I'd appreciate it. The Brain Training titles have disappeared, New Super Mario Bros., despite being released far later, places lower than it and Animal Crossing is teetering on the brink a whole 15 places behind it. What's Mario Kart got that those other titles haven't?

Mario Kart Wii is going to be a beast.
For a game like this to be at almost 50k after two weeks is pretty good I'd say. Do we know if it comes over to the west, preferrably to Europe?

nli10

Polari said:
If someone could explain Mario Kart DS's near superhuman staying power to me, I'd appreciate it.

Most brand name accessible Racing game on the DS.

I don't play my copy much now but I linked up for play with an Xmas getting DS owner. They went out and bought it a week later. Guessing this is happening in Japan too.

PantherLotus said:
Basically what you're looking at is complete domination. Outside of a small period of time (3 weeks in November 2007), the Wii has been outselling the PS3 by ridiculous amounts. No, even though the market share says differently, it's actually gaining steam. Gaining steam so much that, in fact, the Wii has gained 21% of its current lead in the last 9 weeks. That's momentum.
It's interesting how it may be a different kind of domination than the PS2, though. The amount Wii has exceeded PS3 is very, very similar to the amount PS2 exceeded Gamecube in the same period (just slightly higher), but the PS2 also had a 5m+ lead in Japan before Gamecube even launched. Does this mean PS3 has a better chance to remain relevant than the 'Cube? Or just that the dying process will take longer?

Market share is an interesting stat, too. Gamecube vs. PS2, the share maxed out (at 19%) 28 months after Gamecube launch. Will that pattern repeat, or is this burst of Wii momentum (Galaxy, Wii Fit, Brawl, Mario Kart--no wonder!) destined to flatten PS3 marketshare even sooner? Also, people were saying that gaming was dying in Japan, yet here Nintendo has the highest-selling system of all time and the fastest-selling system of all time, yet Sony too are pushing a meaningful (though modest) amount of hardware in both segments. For different reasons, I think Wii, DS, and PSP have all expanded the game market and it's fascinating.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
No hardware numbers yet and PSP bashing already? Sure some people here are really insecure.

I think you'll find it was iidesuyo who started the DS bashing.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
No hardware numbers yet and PSP bashing already? Sure some people here are really insecure.
Actually these "discussions" always start with someone claiming PSP software sales aren't bad. Which they clearly are when compared to DS, that's just the way it is. It may change in the future, when all devs see the hw increase S&L brought and shift to PSP and it takes over - then again 360 may take Europe as well. Both are just not very probable.

AniHawk

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yeah, and I doubt we'll see any posts from him in the next pages. Does that allow PSP bashing?

I find PSP bashing is welcomed on any page in any thread, so why not.

Lobster

Banned
AniHawk said:
I find PSP bashing is welcomed on any page in any thread, so why not.

PSP is awesome because it has VT3. PSP should be bashed because VT3 didn't meet sales expectactions :(

But PSP is awesome..so awesome. I want to fuck the PSP!

<3 PSP.

Lobster said:
PSP is awesome because it has VT3. PSP should be bashed because VT3 didn't meet sales expectactions :(
You could use those sentences as a template for the sales failure of most of the good PSP games. For example...

PSP is awesome because it has Crush. PSP should be bashed because Crush didn't meet sales expectactions :(

The Gundam game did better than I expected. Anyone expecting it to have legs?

Frillen

It sure will take a long time for Galaxy to break the Million barrier, but it's reachable this year definitely.

Mario & Sonic drops out of the top 30 is a bit surprising. Supply constrined maybe? Or not?

Taurus

PantherLotus said:
From last week that I didn't get to post:

Interesting facts that may only be interesting to me:

1. Wii has held more than 2/3rds market share in the new gen console race since April of 2007.
2. Conversely, PS3 has never reached 1/3rd. The closest it came was in its 3rd week on sale, when it reached 28.51%
3. 360 has had less than 1/10th market share since April 29th 2007, and currently hovers around 7%.
4. The PS3 has 1.5% less market share than it did exactly one year ago (24.61% - 26.07%), while the Wii has 7.8% more (68.29% - 60.49%).

Those are long term numbers though. Perhaps a bit more interesting:

http://images.redial.net/mc-marketshare-line-62.jpg[img]

1. The Wii has been "losing" market share for 4 weeks in a row, despite outselling the PS3 greater than 2-1 in the same period. Why? Because the Wii sales (around 82k per week) make up less of the Wii total than the PS3 sales (around 38k per week) make up of its total.

2. For a true perspective on what the Wii had done to the PS3, look no further than the actual number of units more that the Wii has sold than the PS3. (current lead at 3.3 MILLION):

[img]http://images.redial.net/mc-wii-lead-62.jpg[img]

Basically what you're looking at is complete domination. Outside of a small period of time (3 weeks in November 2007), the Wii has been outselling the PS3 by ridiculous amounts. No, even though the market share says differently, it's actually gaining steam. Gaining steam so much that, in fact, the Wii has gained 21% of its current lead in the last 9 weeks. That's momentum.[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much of these posts, keep up the good work! :)

botticus

FFIV and DQIV refuse to go away. Do we get a Top XXX from Famitsu at the halfway point of the year, or will we likely be waiting until the end of the year to see how some of these titles are doing?

Top Bottom