• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/10 - 3/16

Lobster

Banned
BishopLamont said:
I'm not saying traditional games don't sell on the Wii, but rather new IP's have more potential to sell well. What's the two best selling games so far on the Wii? Wii Fit/Wii Sports, and you can even throw in Wii Play for kicks. If it's one thing we learnt about Japan in the past few years is that they want new experiences not the same old, especially when it comes to the Wii.

Well if new IPs nees the word Wii infront of it..3rd parties are going to need to start paying royalties.

BishopLamont said:
I'm not saying traditional games don't sell on the Wii, but rather new IP's have more potential to sell well. What's the two best selling games so far on the Wii? Wii Fit/Wii Sports, and you can even throw in Wii Play for kicks. If it's one thing we learnt about Japan in the past few years is that they want new experiences not the same old, especially when it comes to the Wii.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh yeah, Japan's a bastion of creativity, just like America, and just like America they buy the same ~10 or so series over and over ad nauseam. That's why 3D is evil and changing DQ in even the slightest boarders on heresy. I have no clue why things are the way they are, but it's definitely not because Japan suddenly collectively decided they want new experiences.

cvxfreak

:lol :lol :lol @ GAF ad below

qrn11k.png

Mefisutoferesu said:

Oh yeah, Japan's a bastion of creativity, just like America, and just like America they buy the same ~10 or so series over and over ad nauseam. That's why 3D is evil and changing DQ in even the slightest boarders on heresy. I have no clue why things are the way they are, but it's definitely not because Japan suddenly collectively decided they want new experiences.
Yeah those traditional games on the PS3 are doing so great, while the Wii is flopping left and right.

Lobster said:
Well if new IPs nees the word Wii infront of it..3rd parties are going to need to start paying royalties.
Don't take it literally, it's just an example of new experiences doing well.

Lobster

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Don't take it literally, it's just an example of new experiences doing well.

Well I can't really name any new experiences that aren't from Nintendo doing well at all :\

Even a few that were published by Nintendo bombed.

Rolf NB

BishopLamont said:
Yeah those traditional games on the PS3 are doing so great, while the Wii is flopping left and right.
An easy way to check your theories would be to find out which one sold better between Bladestorm and Shin Sangoku Musou 5.

ziran

Mefisutoferesu said:

:lol

Of course the majority of Japanese gamers want something new! Generally speaking they're bored shitless of playing the same thing over and over again, which is understandable. This is a key reason why DS and Wii have been so popular and why PSP and PS3 are selling such low amounts of sw. And this decline has been happening for years, you'd have to be as blind as a Japanese 3rd party to think otherwise.

Another major reason is a back to basics approach to gaming. Many people are enjoying simpler games because so many titles were (and still are in many cases) becoming too complicated and tedious to play.

You're right in one sense though, you really 'have no clue why things are the way they are' ;)

EDIT-
Neomoto said:
I don't know where to put this bit of information, which could be interesting, but I didn't want to make a thread or something so I'll put it here.

Yesterday at the news in the Netherlands, the channel did an item about the Wii, about it's heavy shortages right now and they got an upportunity to already demo Wii Fit at Nintendo with a Nintendo rep present, and one of the most known game journalist in the Netherlands (so no incorrect bullshit). All fine and dandy, but the Nintendo rep said that Nintendo has "readied some additional factories and has now an output of 2 million Wii's per month."

I don't know about how accurate it is, and if it was known it would be all over the internet by know but at the very least it could be an indication that Nintendo will up their output sooner than expected? Just in time for the launch of Wii Fit and Brawl perhaps? Like I said, it was an item about the Wii on prime time news so it isn't just anything :) And she cleary said what I quoted, and not 1.8 million. Perhaps it also interest some of you that the Wii is still experiencing heavy shortages and that there are long waiting lists all over the country. This is (again) the case since christmas, because before that the shortages were over for months. So it was basicly a reply to the current Wii situation in the Netherlands.
That's interesting to hear. I doubt Nintendo would make any official announcement before their March 31st year end financial release, due late April. We could be looking at Nintendo shipping between 25 and 30 million systems.

bcn-ron said:
An easy way to check your theories would be to find out which one sold better between Bladestorm and Shin Sangoku Musou 5.
I think he meant "new experiences" in a different way than "isn't a direct sequel to a previous game". A PS3 Koei war game isn't necessarily a new experience just because it doesn't have a number* in the title.

*"Hundred" excepted.

sphinx said:
so what's the conclusion? 3rd parties that produce games for Japanese audiences are fucked, absolutely and deeply fucked and its all their fault. Becuase of their lack of vision of what the possible escenarios could have been. They rushed to bet on PS3 and they lost, now they pay with their measly 200k LTDs for IPs that could easily reach 800k.

for people to buy wii hardcore games now, such games should have been announced earlier so that people would know and have the perception that the Wii is not only good for social gaming but for hardcore gamers as well but that was the job of 3rd parties, they failed to do it and now they pay.

Some people blamed way too much on the 3rd parties for their so called "lack of vision". Wii really IS a confusing machine itself. It's very successful in the casual game market, yes, but what has it proved for the traditional hardcore market? Other than a few games which are popular enough franchise by themselves and have an obvious enough advantage in switching to Wiimote (eg. RE4/UC), most others just bomb big. Even in the casual game market itself, we haven't seen Wii opening up a really wide variety of new opportunities so far, other than some party games and mini game collections.

What do you want the 3rd parties to do? Betting a much bigger budget on their traditional games that have proved little to no success on Wii so far? Or just completely give up what they have done and proved successful in the previous generations and switch to making Nintendo clones and shovelwares?

Shiggy

AnimeTheme said:
What do you want the 3rd parties to do? Betting a much bigger budget on their traditional games that have proved little to no success on Wii so far?

What games are you talking about exactly?

farnham

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
Some people blamed way too much on the 3rd parties for their so called "lack of vision". Wii really IS a confusing machine itself. It's very successful in the casual game market, yes, but what has it proved for the traditional hardcore market? Other than a few games which are popular enough franchise by themselves and have an obvious enough advantage in switching to Wiimote (eg. RE4/UC), most others just bomb big. Even in the casual game market itself, we haven't seen Wii opening up a really wide variety of new opportunities so far, other than some party games and mini game collections.

What do you want the 3rd parties to do? Betting a much bigger budget on their traditional games that have proved little to no success on Wii so far? Or just completely give up what they have done and proved successful in the previous generations and switch to making Nintendo clones and shovelwares?

I dont see the bombs...

Hardcore games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda TP, Metroid Prime 3, RE 4 Wii Edition, RE UC, No More Heroes (I mean you saw how Killer7 sold..?) sold well.. WE Wii Edition is selling well and outsold WE 6 FE on GC easily..

In the casual space Family Ski and Deca Sporta sold impressive numbers... When was the last time Namdai sold over 100k in Japan anyways.. (Hudson sold over 1 million with MP8 so lets count those bastards out)

AnimeTheme said:

Excluding RE4 and REUC is pretty disingenuous in my opinion. Those two games shattered Capcom's expectations in every way imaginable and is enough proof that core IPs can thrive on the system.

Neomoto

Sule said:
Do you have a link to a video? I looked on NOS and RTL but I can't seem to find a video of it, was it some other news channel I don't know of?
I tried to find it for you, and I found this website but my browser crashes when I try to view the video (because it's in wmv, don't ask ;)). http://www.rtl.nl/service/gemist/zaterdag/ and then search (ctrl f) for RTL Nieuws or Uitzending 19:30 uur (22-03). I'm not sure it will be on it but this would be the best change of finding it I think. :)

Edit: I was mistaken in the date (which would have been saturday and not sunday), which is corrected now.

gconsole

Rancid Mildew said:
Excluding RE4 and REUC is pretty disingenuous in my opinion. Those two games shattered Capcom's expectations in every way imaginable and is enough proof that core IPs can thrive on the system.

I'm not sure. I can imagine RE4 HD on 360 will sale million. That's just because it is RE4.

gconsole said:
I'm not sure. I can imagine RE4 HD on 360 will sale million. That's just because it is RE4.

Uh, the issue in question wasn't whether RE4HD would sell on 360, it was whether RE4: Wii Edition could sell on the Wii.

Yeah, wow, such good numbers for Family Ski, WE Playmaker, RE4....1 of those even broke 100k! And Wii userbase is just 5,56m! Such amazing performance.

loweredexpectations.jpg

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yeah, wow, such good numbers for Family Ski, WE Playmaker, RE4....1 of those even broke 100k! And Wii userbase is just 5,56m! Such amazing performance.

Sales expectations do not increase proprotionally to increased userbase.

ziran said:
:lol

Of course the majority of Japanese gamers want something new! Generally speaking they're bored shitless of playing the same thing over and over again, which is understandable. This is a key reason why DS and Wii have been so popular and why PSP and PS3 are selling such low amounts of sw. And this decline has been happening for years, you'd have to be as blind as a Japanese 3rd party to think otherwise.

Another major reason is a back to basics approach to gaming. Many people are enjoying simpler games because so many titles were (and still are in many cases) becoming too complicated and tedious to play.

That already happened in Europe when Singstar and Buzz dominated the charts for a long ass time.

The problem is that tradiotional games are selling relatively less every time. The biggest worldwide hits in the last years have been Nintendogs and Brain Training, soon to be followed with WiiFit. You cant blame no one if the demand isnt there.

On the other hand , since the Wii has a classic controller, the only big difference with the HD machines is that is less powerfull. It has been proven by the DS that you dont need outstanding graphic power to make hardcore games. Thats why i see history repeating. Hardocre gamers will bitch and moan for a while, but sooner or later manby hardcore games will be taylor made for the wii and no people will stop complaining.

As a matter of fact, how many people that are enjoying EO today did laugh when the DS or Nintendogs were announced?

farnham said:
I dont see the bombs...

Hardcore games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda TP, Metroid Prime 3, RE 4 Wii Edition, RE UC, No More Heroes (I mean you saw how Killer7 sold..?) sold well.. WE Wii Edition is selling well and outsold WE 6 FE on GC easily..

For bombs, I was basically just talking about most 3rd party hardcore games on Wii. I wouldn't call NMH and WE PM a success on Wii. A mere pass, at most.

Even if you want to talk about 1st party hardcore games, let's take a look at how Mario Galaxy and Zelda TP perform, in Japan. Do you think they perform overwhelmingly well? Do you think their success has a lot to do with the new control scheme/Wii philosophy, but not basically just their established franchise popularity and the sheer increased size (when compared with GC) of Wii's user base?

Rancid Mildew said:

I don't really get what you mean by "excluding" them. RE4/UC is definitely an example of success of core games on Wii, yes. But you can't deny that as I said RE is a popular franchise by itself, and such gun shooting actions suit Wiimote in an obvious enough way. It's not like most other core games can share similar successful factors.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I'm sure 3rd parties are relieved to know they are bound to fight for scraps everywhere then!

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Also, I'd hardly call the sales of a particular port of a two-year old game 'scraps'.

Neomoto

Sule said:
It worked, thanks!
Sure, no problem :)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

loweredexpectations.jpg
Hehe I laughed.

But didn't Dragon Quest Swords sold more then any PS3 title? Not bad for a Wii 3rd party spin-off title :) And that was on a userbase that was not much more then what PS3's userbase is right now right?

ksamedi

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I'm sure 3rd parties are relieved to know they are bound to fight for scraps everywhere then!

I'm sure 3rd parties will need to fire some staff if they can't make succesfull games. Its easy enough. Or they could hire the help of Sora.

Pureauthor said:
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Also, I'd hardly call the sales of a particular port of a two-year old game 'scraps'.
Of course you wouldn't but they are scraps of the big cake, and they aren't getting anymore than that.

But since you just told me that it doesn't matter how big the cake is, I'm sure 3rd parties will be happy to share their precious scraps between them!

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Of course you wouldn't but they are scraps of the big cake, and they aren't getting anymore than that.

But since you just told me that it doesn't matter how big the cake is, I'm sure 3rd parties will be happy to share their precious scraps between them!

Of course it doesn't matter how big the cake is - what matters is the size of your slice! And once again, I'd hardly call the Capcom's slice of cake 'scraps'.

NeonZ

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

They wouldn't be limited to scraps if they had given the market more than scraps.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

read some bussiness books or something... all companies are after profits not after sales per se or marketshare or anything else

ksamedi said:
I'm sure 3rd parties will need to fire some staff if they can't make succesfull games. Its easy enough. Or they could hire the help of Sora.
Or they will just go budget.

Pureauthor said:
Of course it doesn't matter how big the cake is - what matters is the size of your slice! And once again, I'd hardly call the Capcom's slice of cake 'scraps'.
The size of your slice which is scraps compared to the cake you took them from.

But then you would say the slice is bigger than the slice you would get from extremely smaller cakes. And we'd back at loweredexpectations.jpg

Starchasing said:
read some bussiness books or something... all companies are after profits not after sales per se or marketshare or anything else
Good thing to know. You can know quit these threads since we only get sales and marketshares info.

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

loweredexpectations.jpg
Being fair, they'll all obviously break 100k in Japan. FamiSki's probably going to outsell the team's last game too (RR7 on PS3). :p

And RE4 Wii's around 1.5m worldwide. It's going to outsell the GC original shortly and maybe even the PS2 release too lifetime.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Good thing to know. You can know quit these threads since we only get sales and marketshares info.

B... but you were just talking about how the companies would react - and like Starchasing said, their motivation is profits, not marketshare info

The size of your slice which is scraps compared to the cake you took them from.

Like I said, the size of the cake doesn't matter. Do you really think a company like Atlus is bemoaning 100K+ sales of EO2 on a 22 million+ DS?

Pureauthor said:
Like I said, the size of the cake doesn't matter. Do you really think a company like Atlus is bemoaning 100K+ sales of EO2 on a 22 million+ DS?
Do you really think 3rd parties are extremely happy with cakes where 1 company takes more than 70% of it?

C.T.

farnham said:
I dont see the bombs...

In the casual space Family Ski and Deca Sporta sold impressive numbers... When was the last time Namdai sold over 100k in Japan anyways.. (Hudson sold over 1 million with MP8 so lets count those bastards out)

Are you from the future?

ksamedi

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Or they will just go budget.

Why would a multimillion dollar organisation go budget? These companies have more than enough money to invest in talented staff or companies or even resarch. Its foolish to think they will go budget when its known that budget titles lead to less profit margins which in turn lead to less profit. What they need to do is invest in new IP or gameplay concepts like Nintendo is doing. Have a healthy mix of both low budget and big budget quality titles and they will be fine. The problem is that all the talented staff is still working on PS3 or 360 projects that started years ago.

farnham

Banned
C.T. said:
Are you from the future?
no im talking about the status quo...

family ski is a low budget game and it sold fairly well.. 100k in Japan is good for a thirdparty regardless of platform (with exception on PS2 and DS maybe)

same goes to Winning Eleven Wii which sold over 70k (the original projection) and will probably reach similar numbers to family ski in the end

Dascu

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Do you really think 3rd parties are extremely happy with cakes where 1 company takes more than 70% of it?
It's thanks to that one company that the cake is so big.

C.T.

farnham said:
no im talking about the status quo...

family ski is a low budget game and it sold fairly well.. 100k in Japan is good for a thirdparty regardless of platform (with exception on PS2 and DS maybe)

same goes to Winning Eleven Wii which sold over 70k (the original projection) and will probably reach similar numbers to family ski in the end

Still, Deca Sports hasn't been released so far, has it?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

No. As long as their own slices are big enough, they don't give a rat's patootie about how much other companies take. (Even if their slices aren't big enough, they're more worried about how to get a bigger slice than the other companies' slices.)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

You seem to be switching subjects just to keep arguieng. Let me reply to you again

3rd parties will be happy and more than happy with the scrabs if they are making money for their shareholders

They will be extremely happy if they are making profits, no matter what

Neo C.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
The percentage of this company will go down, as we can see on the DS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dascu said:
It's thanks to that one company that the cake is so big.

And more importantly if you look at the big cake-picture, that one company is still taking more than 50% of the cake. It's not like there are exclusively three separate cakes, it's more like there are three cakes but each cake shares some of its cake with another cake. It's a 4-dimensional cake.

... it's almost like the cake analogy itself is flawed and we're better off just discussing game sales instead of cars or cakes.

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Probably not, but what's the alternative? Larger portions of a small cake or a tiny cake, both likely to be smaller than their 30% slice on the giant cake in the end?

How'd this scenario work out for DS & PSP again? How'd the laundry list of promised PS2 faves like FF, DMC, MGS, Musou, Tekken, Tales, Gundam, Mingol, GT, etc, etc, work out there for that matter.

Top Bottom