• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/31 - 4/6

First week sales for other installments:

Mario Kart DS: 224,411
Mario Kart SC: 261,797
Mario Kart DD: 179,230

So, 300.000 (as reported by sinobi) for the first day is pretty good.

Great numbers for Mario Kart Wii! (Though I think the DS game did slightly better on its first day)

Lets just hope it has the same crazy legs of its predecessor! :D

Edit: Oh wow it even beat the DS game! Good signs indeed!

Ydahs

dabra said:
first day sales:

Mario Kart Wii 300k
Not bad. Any other sales?

How does this compare with the MKDD and MK64 first day sales?

Isn't MKDD's LTD ~800k for Japan?

EDIT: Oh, it's already been posted.

slaughterking said:
First week sales for other installments:

Mario Kart DS: 224,411
Mario Kart SC: 261,797
Mario Kart DD: 179,230

So, 300.000 (as reported by sinobi) for the first day is pretty good.
Yikes. That's definitely a marked improvement. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the original Mario Kart sold?

You know, I could never get into Mario Kart, but then again I suck at racing games in general. I'd consistently get to the last race in the Flower Cup and get creamed. Every. Single. Time.

AniHawk

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Yikes. That's definitely a marked improvement. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the original Mario Kart sold?

SMK: 3.82m
MK64: 2.24m
MKSC: ??? (less than a million)
MKDD: 800k
MKDS: 2.85m

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
davepoobond said:
what it costs also includes marketing costs, etc.

its what the film industry goes by. it shouldn't be much different for games.

you dont make a product to break even, you want to make money so you can fund your next great project

The film industry does not go by 2.5x the cost to develop in profit. It goes by 2.5x the cost to develop in revenue (well, actually, it doesn't even go by that, but it's a pretty damn good estimate). Theatres keep approximately 50% of ticket sales (slightly more internationally because of distribution stuff), mandating a 2x revenue:cost ratio to break even on production costs. The point five multiplier is generally added in to cover assumed marketing expenses.

If a film makes one dollar, that's just fine. Profit is preferred, but breaking even is great. A project that breaks even will become profitable during later releases (film, tv syndication merchandise, retro T-shirts). A project that breaks even will train employees. A project that breaks even will generate sets and props and costumes and countless other things that will likely be recycled for other films. A project that breaks even will generate buzz for the director, producers, writers, and actors.

It's a bad comparison to video games. Video games get one release; future releases take porting money. Publishers get a lower cut of costs. Costs drop fairly quickly. The used market is bigger proportionately. Marketing budgets are smaller proportionately. There's very little buzz about production teams, but a lot more about IPs. Loss-leader projects are exceptionally common for engine development purposes. Video games are released relatively quickly after completion; films sit in the can for years sometimes.

The most important thing about return on investment is the following: The film industry has an essentially unlimited amount of personnel and an essentially unlimited amount of space. Running a breakeven project will not likely stop them from running a profitable project. The video game industry is exceptionally constrained in terms of the number of products that can be developed, so developing a break-even product in lieu of a profitable product is a reality.

I really wouldn't compare film to games. The film industry is where the game industry is GOING, but it's not there yet and it'll never fully be there because of the unique differences of the medium and the point of sale.

Neo C.

Stumpokapow said:
The film industry does not go by 2.5x the cost to develop in profit. It goes by 2.5x the cost to develop in revenue (well, actually, it doesn't even go by that, but it's a pretty damn good estimate). Theatres keep approximately 50% of ticket sales (slightly more internationally because of distribution stuff), mandating a 2x revenue:cost ratio to break even on production costs. The point five multiplier is generally added in to cover assumed marketing expenses.

If a film makes one dollar, that's just fine. Profit is preferred, but breaking even is great. A project that breaks even will become profitable during later releases (film, tv syndication merchandise, retro T-shirts). A project that breaks even will train employees. A project that breaks even will generate sets and props and costumes and countless other things that will likely be recycled for other films. A project that breaks even will generate buzz for the director, producers, writers, and actors.

It's a bad comparison to video games. Video games get one release; future releases take porting money. Publishers get a lower cut of costs. Costs drop fairly quickly. The used market is bigger proportionately. Marketing budgets are smaller proportionately. There's very little buzz about production teams, but a lot more about IPs. Loss-leader projects are exceptionally common for engine development purposes. Video games are released relatively quickly after completion; films sit in the can for years sometimes.
Thanks. Although I know most of the differences between film and games, this is the first time I read something about the revenue expectation of a film.

Stumpokapow said:
The film industry does not go by 2.5x the cost to develop in profit. It goes by 2.5x the cost to develop in revenue (well, actually, it doesn't even go by that, but it's a pretty damn good estimate). ......

As you said , its a horrible comparasion....

The people saying that Wii wont get the "real" games or third party games are just insane.

They are probably the same people that said the same about DS.... The DS was gimmick, remember?!?!?

Wii will be number one this gen and it will get most of the games... PS360 will get the leftovers... just like the GC did... but hey GC got RE4 first

DENKO said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=jpconewsstory&refer=jpconews&tkr=6758:JP&sid=agOZDYIoqAOI

Announce it by new model DS, a U.S. trade fair of July?

April 11(Bloomberg): Koichi Hamamura of the game magazine "
Famitsu" showed a viewpoint that Nintendo might announce the new model of portable game machine "DS" by summer.
While I doubt it, this could happen. It would be a good way for Nintendo to boost sales without actually lowering the price. They'd essentially be pulling an iPod. And the US trade fair in July... E3?

However, I don't see how they could improve on the DS Lite in terms of form factor, which is more important in generating sales than something like, say, improving the D-pad. It'd have to be an ultra-thin DS to even be worth it.

AniHawk

While I doubt it, this could happen. It would be a good way for Nintendo to boost sales without actually lowering the price. They'd essentially be pulling an iPod. And the US trade fair in July... E3?

However, I don't see how they could improve on the DS Lite in terms of form factor, which is more important in generating sales than something like, say, improving the D-pad. It'd have to be an ultra-thin DS to even be worth it.

Wouldn't an ultra-thin DS break in most hands though? I honestly can't see what would make the DS better unless it was a pretty big overhaul.

DENKO

Yes, it is E3

According to Hamamura

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DENKO said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=jpconewsstory&refer=jpconews&tkr=6758:JP&sid=agOZDYIoqAOI

Announce it by new model DS, a U.S. trade fair of July?

April 11(Bloomberg): Koichi Hamamura of the game magazine "
Famitsu" showed a viewpoint that Nintendo might announce the new model of portable game machine "DS" by summer.

Thanks DENKO. Most of our posters from Japan are people from North America who move to Japan, and it's always interesting to have contributors with a different background!

wazoo

The more the Wii is selling, the more games are announced on the ps3/X360, that is the current trend I see. Maybe it will change, but it is just speculation.

Starchasing said:
As you said , its a horrible comparasion....

The people saying that Wii wont get the "real" games or third party games are just insane.

They are probably the same people that said the same about DS.... The DS was gimmick, remember?!?!?

Wii will be number one this gen and it will get most of the games... PS360 will get the leftovers... just like the GC did... but hey GC got RE4 first

the psps+l though being a bit thinner and lighter essentially looks the same as the psp, i'd expect nintendo to release a ds that looks the same as the lite but with more changes under the hood (built in flash memory, maybe extra ram, wpa support)

frankie_baby said:
the psps+l though being a bit thinner and lighter essentially looks the same as the psp, i'd expect nintendo to release a ds that looks the same as the lite but with more changes under the hood (built in flash memory, maybe extra ram, wpa support)
Doesn't sound like Nintendo's current style over substance modus operandum. It's how they differentiated themselves from other manufacturers' offerings and they're not going to change that until (possibly) next gen, when other manufacturers have introduced waggle and iPod-esque stylings into their new consoles.

Think about what Apple does to the iPod each time they make a new model. What little features they do introduce are limited in comparison to what they could do (Video iPod). What they usually offer instead though, is a more compelling form factor (see: iPod shuffle).

In point of fact, I'd half expect them to strip features out of any hypothetical new model. Like, say, the GBA port. At this point in the handheld generation, they could get away with selling a DS model without it. It's easily one of the most bulky and under-utuilised parts of the current model and not one that is easily reduceable in terms of size.

botticus

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Mar 24-30

WII Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 59,180

Code:
Game		Week 1	Week 2	Week 3	LTD
Metroid Prime	39,829	12,058	6,110	57,997
Metroid Prime 2	17,680	6,254		40,355
Metroid Prime 3	34,151	13,687		59,180
Should we have a party now, or later?

Doesn't sound like Nintendo's current style over substance modus operandum. It's how they differentiated themselves from other manufacturers' offerings and they're not going to change that until (possibly) next gen, when other manufacturers have introduced waggle and iPod-esque stylings into their new consoles.

Think about what Apple does to the iPod each time they make a new model. What little features they do introduce are limited in comparison to what they could do (Video iPod). What they usually offer instead though, is a more compelling form factor (see: iPod shuffle).

In point of fact, I'd half expect them to strip features out of any hypothetical new model. Like, say, the GBA port. At this point in the handheld generation, they could get away with selling a DS model without it. It's easily one of the most bulky and under-utuilised parts of the current model and not one that is easily reduceable in terms of size.

the gba port isnt just used for playing gba games though, theres also the rumble pak, the memory expansion pak (bizarely not used by anything other than opera) transfering pokemon from gba pokemon games to d/p, i think theres even a couple of ds games that include a gba cart for extra things

botticus said:
Code:

woo hoo might even brake 60k

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Laguna

Banned
Are there any other first day numbers? This is the only game besides Mario Kart I´ve seen so far.
Battle of Sunrise (PS2) : less than 1k

frankie_baby said:
the gba port isnt just used for playing gba games though, theres also the rumble pak, the memory expansion pak (bizarely not used by anything other than opera) transfering pokemon from gba pokemon games to d/p, i think theres even a couple of ds games that include a gba cart for extra things
All I'm saying is that the GBA micro eliminated back compatibility with GB and GBC games. It isn't unprecedented. Remember that they also changed the Game Link Cable port to make it smaller. This made it incompatible with the other models in multiplayer unless you bought the GBA Micro-specific Game Link cable AS WELL as the GBA Game Link cable.

Pureauthor said:
Not. Going. To. Happen.
Why would you say that? It's like saying that Apple will never take the ability to choose the next song from a menu out of the iPod or saying that Sony will never release a music device without a recording function. As I said before, it's an unlikely hypothetical but never say never.

Why would you say that? It's like saying that Apple will never take the ability to choose the next song from a menu out of the iPod or saying that Sony will never release a music device without a recording function. As I said before, it's an unlikely hypothetical but never say never.

In a single word? Pokemon.

LM4sure

Banned
Good numbers for MK! I just wish it turned out to be a better game than it apparently has. Reviews have been mediocre at best.

All I'm saying is that the GBA micro eliminated back compatibility with GB and GBC games. It isn't unprecedented. Remember that they also changed the Game Link Cable port to make it smaller. This made it incompatible with the other models in multiplayer unless you bought the GBA Micro-specific Game Link cable AS WELL as the GBA Game Link cable.

the game boy micro was a niche flop though, i'd expect any replacement for the dslite to be planned as a dominating machine

LM4sure said:
Good numbers for MK! I just wish it turned out to be a better game than it apparently has. Reviews have been mediocre at best.

most reviews have said its very good, just cos a game doesnt get 90%+ doesnt make it mediocre

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PantherLotus said:
You guys have deluded yourselves into thinking things will change. To this day, Square Enix and Konami are pouring millions into development for games that will never, ever come to the Wii. Namco is pretending the Wii doesn't exist, and when it does its with a big middle finger. Capcom hates you. KOEI won't cut it. SEGA is as close as it gets, and most of their shit is multi platform.

Sorry kids. :(

Wait, didn't you make a big thread like a month ago on why the Wii will get the bulk of Japanese support complete with your colorful graphs, etc.?

Pureauthor said:
In a single word? Pokemon.
Are the GBA Pokemon games still in print? Personally, I would say that the audience for the GBA Pokemon games has been saturated. Essentially, everyone who uses the back compatibility feature on the Pokemon games already has a DS and they don't have to buy the hypothetical new model.

This is an assumption I'm making RE the GBA Pokemon games' sales. It could be wrong of course. Without better data, we have no idea what sales could be like.

frankie_baby said:
the game boy micro was a niche flop though, i'd expect any replacement for the dslite to be planned as a dominating machine

I don't think it's the same thing. The GBA Micro was introduced as the GBA's product life cycle was well into decline. Right now, I'd say the DS is approaching maturity. I could see a hypothetical "new hotness" being successful.

Laguna

Banned
LM4sure said:

At best? The reviews at gamerankings so far tell another story. Only Edges score pulls the average down.

You guys have deluded yourselves into thinking things will change. To this day, Square Enix and Konami are pouring millions into development for games that will never, ever come to the Wii. Namco is pretending the Wii doesn't exist, and when it does its with a big middle finger. Capcom hates you. KOEI won't cut it. SEGA is as close as it gets, and most of their shit is multi platform.

Sorry kids. :(

I hope you know that you are talking about the same three games since?... 2005/2006? Namely FF13+Versus and MGS4.

Are the GBA Pokemon games still in print? Personally, I would say that the audience for the GBA Pokemon games has been saturated. Essentially, everyone who uses the back compatibility feature on the Pokemon games already has a DS and they don't have to buy the hypothetical new model.

This is an assumption I'm making RE the GBA Pokemon games' sales. It could be wrong of course. Without better data, we have no idea what sales could be like.

It doesn't matter whether or not the games are still in print (for the record, they most assuredly are). What does matter are the millions who already own GBA Pokemon games but do not yet own Pokemon D/P/(insert 3rd game here). And Nintendo's going to cut out Pokemon transferral for their next DS iteration? Yeah, right.

I don't think it's the same thing. The GBA Micro was introduced as the GBA's product life cycle was well into decline. Right now, I'd say the DS is approaching maturity. I could see a hypothetical "new hotness" being successful.

the micro thiough was always intended as a niche product, most people dont want a games machine that tiny, nintendo of today aint going to release a machine to cater to a niche, it'll be something for the masses and you dont get more mass market than pokemon and a ds without a gba port would cut out one of d/p's features, not a good move

farnham

Banned
LM4sure said:
dude... MK Wii scored 37 out of 40 in Famitsu

Japanese People think its the next big thing

Pureauthor said:
It doesn't matter whether or not the games are still in print (for the record, they most assuredly are). What does matter are the millions who already own GBA Pokemon games but do not yet own Pokemon D/P/(insert 3rd game here). And Nintendo's going to cut out Pokemon transferral for their next DS iteration? Yeah, right.
When you consider Pokemon's target market (kids), you're looking at a nigh-on saturated market if Vinnk's reports are to be believed*. They and certainly their parents are probably not going to be going out and buying a new DS because a new model came out.

If, say, a third Pokemon title or a GSC remake were announced, it would likely be bought by the same audience. As much as I'd like to think that more adults play the Pokemon games, the sad truth is that it's seen as a kids' series.

A hypothetical ultra-thin DS would be bought more by teens and adults wanting to keep up with the latest trends. Japan has heaps of these. Make it sleek and sexy enough, and they will come.

The GBA Micro had crippled connectivity with every single other model and it had Pokemon games. Connectivity is arguably one of the biggest selling features of the Pokemon series. Hell, the GBA Micro wasn't even backwards compatible with the old games. I don't see it as inconceivable and from an engineering point of view, I think it's the move that makes the most sense.

* Yes, I'm aware of the dangers of extrapolating from anectodal evidence. It's all we have to work with, unfortunately.

botticus said:
Code:

Wow, that's really cool. Shows that Corruption had better legs than the original Prime. Not bad for a game that's skewed more towards FPS than previous Prime titles, a genre Japan seems to utterly dislike (with the odd exception or two).

HOLY CRAP at Mario Kart. Should make around 500K this week, not bad at all. Plus it will most like have long legs, similar to that of Mario Party 8.

_Alkaline_ said:
Wow, that's really cool. Shows that Corruption had better legs than the original Prime. Not bad for a game that's skewed more towards FPS than previous Prime titles, a genre Japan seems to utterly dislike (with the odd exception or two).

HOLY CRAP at Mario Kart. Should make around 500K this week, not bad at all. Plus it will most like have long legs, similar to that of Mario Party 8.
The fact that it's not released on a failing console might have something to do with that... ;)

Souldriver said:
The fact that it's not released on a failing console might have something to do with that... ;)
Yep. I mean look at MPH sales for example. It did better than the first two primes as well, and that's even more FPS skewed than MP3.

Souldriver said:

Probably. :p

But still, its a pretty positive sign. The Gamecube userbase was higher when Echoes was out compared to when Prime came out, yet Echoes performed quite a bit worse. Obviously at that time the Gamecube was struggling, but it's nice to see the popularity of the Metroid series on a rise with Prime 3, albeit a slight one.

_Alkaline_ said:
Probably. :p

But still, its a pretty positive sign. The Gamecube userbase was higher when Echoes was out compared to when Prime came out, yet Echoes performed quite a bit worse. Obviously at that time the Gamecube was struggling, but it's nice to see the popularity of the Metroid series on a rise with Prime 3, albeit a slight one.
Honestly, looking at those numbers, I see it as mostly being the same audience - otaku :(

Reason being is that they're not price sensitive and will buy a system to play a game they want then sell it afterwards (which could have happened to the Gamecube). If a series has an otaku following, it'll have consistent sales up to a point and everything else is gravy. Think of these Otaku sales as 'fixed' sales.

Top Bottom