• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/31 - 4/6

RJT

davepoobond said:
i dont quite catch what you're saying.

are you saying that there are different bases of money or something?

it costs you a number to finance a game. wtf does it matter how bad/good the distribution is, the game is critically received, any of that?

if you're saying that it becomes a success as soon as it makes 1 dollar of profit, then you simply don't know much about the entertainment business.
That's not what he said. I think you don't know much about the software development business.

jarrod

Banned
Pureauthor said:
DQ has never went to the system that 'needed it'.
It hasn't always gone to the "biggest base" though either exactly... I mean DQVII started as a 64DD game, made a pit stop on Saturn and then finally ended up on PSX. And if it would've actually gone to the largest installed base in the late 1990s, it'd have been a Game Boy game. ;)

jarrod said:
It hasn't always gone to the "biggest base" though either exactly... I mean DQVII started as a 64DD game, made a pit stop on Saturn and then finally ended up on PSX. And if it would've actually gone to the largest installed base in the late 1990s, it'd have been a Game Boy game. ;)

My point still stands - DQ never ended up on the system that 'needed it'.

jeremy1456

Pureauthor said:
We are talking about the '100million+ selling, more successful than any other system prior' Playstation, correct?

But we're also talking to the console that was neck and neck with The Sega Saturn in Japan at the time of the announcement, correct?

jeremy1456

Pureauthor said:
The Playstation did not beat out the Saturn on the basis of DQVII.

Maybe not on the basis of DQVII's release, but the announcement solified Sony's console as the RPG machine, thus pushing 'on the fence' developers over to it.

jarrod

Banned
No, it was FFVII that turned the tide in PS1's favor, and resulted in other 3rd parties flooding to support. It was really at that point that PS became the successor to SFC/SNES in their eyes.

N64 and SS actually "needed" DQVII imo. Hell, if Saturn had gotten it, SEGA probably would've pushed Dreamcast back a year or two.

Apparently, Namco will ship 500k of Taiko 2 DS just in time for Golden Week. I really hope (this time) they don't find game breaking bugs after they shipped them :lol

Also Odin Sphere getting budget re-release, and some PS2 SE titles too. Lots of titles on 6/26 for every system, looots of them. June will surely be a fun month...

jarrod said:
No, it was FFVII that turned the tide in PS1's favor, and resulted in other 3rd parties flooding to support. It was really at that point that PS became the successor to SFC/SNES in their eyes.

N64 and SS actually "needed" DQVII imo. Hell, if Saturn had gotten it, SEGA probably would've pushed Dreamcast back a year or two.

Correct.

Dascu

Eteric Rice said:
I'm sure the Wii will get a big game to pull some support. Wouldn't be surprised if SE is working on something.
Yep.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276521

Really now, SE should have something big in development for the Wii. Crystal Bearers might get an entire revamp to fit in with the Fabula Nova Chrystallis concept. Kingdom Hearts Wii seems fairly likely as well. Personally, I'm thinking another Dragon Quest game. Maybe a big remake of an old entry or a high-profile spin-off.

Eteric Rice said:
I'm sure the Wii will get a big game to pull some support. Wouldn't be surprised if SE is working on something.

What about Seiken Densetsu 2,3 for virtual console ? ...

Ok,never happens .

:(

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Apparently, Namco will ship 500k of Taiko 2 DS just in time for Golden Week. I really hope (this time) they don't find game breaking bugs after they shipped them :lol

Also Odin Sphere getting budget re-release, and some PS2 SE titles too. Lots of titles on 6/26 for every system, looots of them. June will surely be a fun month...

500k are a lot of copies. Aren't them too many?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
500k are a lot of copies. Aren't them too many?
Well, they are nearing 400k with the first title but that has been after recalling units, long waits between shipments...

I guess (hope?) they are prepared this time so they should know how the waters are between entering them. Golden Week should be crucial so they don't want to be sold out at it, and probably restocking DS games still takes way too long so they are taking that into account too.

PD: Having this said, Taiko 2 DS better do good first day and weekend or retailers could become nervous and start slashing prices...and the usual fanfare that happens in those cases.

lupin23rd

We didn't get any first day numbers on anything other than MKWii did we?

I was curious how Milestone Shooting Collection did - I picked up my copy yesterday and hope it does well (although I also hope it becomes a rare collector's item like the games in the collection - haha).

cvxfreak

Mario Kart Wii seems to be selling at a one per person basis in Tokyo. I saw this in Shibuya Tsutaya. Supply constrained, no question.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Case said:
Nintendo shouldn't have underestimated MK Wii

Who says they did?

Edit: to expand, supply constraint is generally a bad thing because it can be assumed that at least some of the sales you would get now, you would not get later. This is exceptionally true for games that turn up in large quantities in the used pile very soon after release (short RPGs are a great example).

I'm not so sure that with guaranteed long-leg games like this, anything is really being lost out on by having a sell-out week one.

JaMarco

Stumpokapow said:
Who says they did?

Edit: to expand, supply constraint is generally a bad thing because it can be assumed that at least some of the sales you would get now, you would not get later. This is exceptionally true for games that turn up in large quantities in the used pile very soon after release (short RPGs are a great example).

I'm not so sure that with guaranteed long-leg games like this, anything is really being lost out on by having a sell-out week one.
Thats all tru but with the massive reception Japan (and the world for that matter) gave and still is giving MK DS I would have thought they would try to at least ship half a mil first week.

Case said:
Thats all tru but with the massive reception Japan (and the world for that matter) gave and still is giving MK DS I would have thought they would try to at least ship half a mil first week.
Do you know they didn't? It supposedly sold 300K the first day and wasn't yet sold out. There's also that, as has come up before, none of the previous multi-million-selling Mario Karts sold that much of their total on week 1.

Vinnk

Seems sold out here too. Didn't check every store, but I haven't seen a copy on shelves yet. I wonder how many they shipped..

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
When 1st day numbers came out someone said the 300K was 70% of the initial shipment, so if true they didn't ship much more than 400K.

schuelma said:
When 1st day numbers came out someone said the 300K was 70% of the initial shipment, so if true they didn't ship much more than 400K.

Not enough in my opinion. And Nintendo should have considered a Mario Kart Pack with the console too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Not enough in my opinion. And Nintendo should have considered a Mario Kart Pack with the console too.

Yes, obviously it wasn't enough since it's sold out. But I doubt those problems will persist.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Based on prior first week sales of the Mario Kart franchise, what they shipped was absolutely correct. The series normally thrives on it's legs, not the initial sales.

Jammy

Banned
Mario Kart Wii is just like the Guitar Hero III and Mario Party 8 before it. It perfectly fits with what the system is all about, and everybody's going to want to try that Wii Wheel, no matter that it's just a piece of plastic and maybe not as accurate as traditional controls.

It seems like the DS game on steroids. And seeing as how that game is at what... 3 million in Japan alone...

cvxfreak

I actually think Mario Kart Wii will be around the charts longer than Smash Bros. X and I expect their overall sales to be very close, with Mario Kart Wii ahead in the long run. I think it has a broader appeal, especially with female gamers, who in my personal experience (if someone has contrary experience I'd like to hear them) have been more willing to play Mario Kart than Smash Bros.

cvxfreak said:
I actually think Mario Kart Wii will be around the charts longer than Smash Bros. X and I expect their overall sales to be very close, with Mario Kart Wii ahead in the long run. I think it has a broader appeal, especially with female gamers, who in my personal experience (if someone has contrary experience I'd like to hear them) have been more willing to play Mario Kart than Smash Bros.
Well my gf likes MK but has no interest in playing any Smash. And judging by the plethora of female Miis playing online I guess that holds true for quite a lot of females out there. With a vast online mode and lots of unlockables I think it'll stay in the charts for a long time - used copies won't be a big issue.

Rolf NB

Stumpokapow said:
Who says they did?

If it's modeled after Mario Kart DS, it will have lots and lots of unlockables stuff and detailed stat-tracking, both of which are great discouragements to selling the game. It'll do fine. It'll have legs.

Vinnk

Any word on restocks of Mario Kart? Nintendo was really quick to restock Smash, but perhaps with that Wii Wheel, this will take a bit longer.

Lobster

Banned
Vinnk said:
Any word on restocks of Mario Kart? Nintendo was really quick to restock Smash, but perhaps with that Wii Wheel, this will take a bit longer.

I wonder if they have any plans to release MK by itself..

Sharp

cvxfreak said:
I agree. Every time I bring my Wii home all my sister wants to play is either SimCity, another Sims game, or to pester me about when Mario Kart is coming out.

Polari

cvxfreak said:

I wouldn't underestimate the power of the wheel gimmick, either. I think Mario Kart is going outsell Smash by a pretty large margin.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So anybody with access to something more solid than wikipedia have a list of probable WW million sellers on DS.

Top Bottom