• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/28 - 5/4

And here´s the japanese all-time Top51:

Rank / System / Title / First week / LTD / Publisher / LTD´s till
24vpqw4.png

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G is now in the Top50, No.47. :D
Wii Play up 2 ranks, No.36.
Wii Sports didn´t move, needs 75.000 units to overtake Donkey Kong Country.
Wii Fit should be in the Top50 next week. ^^

And Super Smash Bros. Brawl [1.634.000 / No.68] finally overtook Super Smash Bros. [1.632.055 / No.69]. ^^

Stumpokapow said:
not for the ps3 it isn't. valkyria didn't hold up very well, did it?
Valkyria is holding up okay compared to Sakura Taisen V and thats about it :lol

Btw finally Beautiful Letter Training goes down week over week.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw finally Beautiful Letter Training goes down week over week.

I think with Beautiful Letter Training, Facening, Kanji Tests, Travel Guides, etc, demand for them is not at all based on the DS or games in general, but rather the demand for the original product. No one is buying Facening because it's on the DS, they're buying Facening because they had a botched lobotomy because they're interested in Facening. No one is buying BLT because it's on the DS, it's because they're interested in calligraphy to begin with.

So I think with most of these products they're going to have longer print runs and longer legs to match conventional non-electronic products, but also they'll have a hidden "saturation point" that has little to do with the hardware's install base.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Captain Smoker said:
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G is now in the Top50, No.47.
At this rate MHP2G will outsell every PS2 title except for Dragon Quest before Summer is out. Who would have thought that a year ago.

dyls

RBI Baseball in the top 50 makes me all warm inside.

Whatever happened to the DS port (sequel?) that was supposed to have online play? I was all ready to import, but haven't heard anything more about it.

NintendosBooger said:
Only 1 PS2 game in the top 20?
Hmm. I wonder how long it can stay there? Long enough legs for MKDS/Wii Sports/Wii Play/Wii Fit could put DQVIII to #21, let alone something new and big (like DQIX).

Pretty good Wii and PSP numbers. It's amazing to see DS still sell at this rate without a price drop and with 20m+ units sold too. PS3 is beyond words atm.

LCT held up pretty well. MK and MH are both performing really, really well. Will be interesting to see if both show legs resembling their predecessors.

Rocksteady33

Jesus, with the success of RE:UC, Link's Cross Bow Training, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fiit, Japan has a shit ton of peripherals for their system.

Jammy

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
Jesus, with the success of RE:UC, Link's Cross Bow Training, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fiit, Japan has a shit ton of peripherals for their system.

:lol

Have you thought of America? Guitar Hero III, Mario Kart Wii, and Link's Crossbow Training are all HUGE sellers on Wii.

PolyGone

Banned
where can one find info relating to sales of individual titles for XBLA, PSN and VC?

I'm specifically interested in the sales of Sin & Punishment (vc), Rez & Ikaruga (XBLA)?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jammy said:
:lol

Have you thought of America? Guitar Hero III, Mario Kart Wii, and Link's Crossbow Training are all HUGE sellers on Wii.

Peripherals I own from currently active consoles:
2x PS2 DDR mat
PS2 Taiko Drums
PS2 Guitar Hero Guitar

DS Rumble Pak
DS Mouse-stand peripheral

X360 Big Button Controller Pack (4x Big Button Controllers, 1x Big Button IR Hub)
X360 Rock Band set
X360 Play-and-charge kit

4x Wii Gummy Sleeves
Wii Zapper
2x Wii Wheel
(1x Wii Balance Board ordered)

i wish i had a larger basement to store some of this shit.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
CitizenCope said:
When will they start buying the PS3? What do you think will get the console selling more a color change or a AAA game?

I think it's beyond hope now. I mean they introduced a price drop, new color, and a few significant releases last November and while it provided a temporary bump things are now worse than ever.

PolyGone

Banned
CitizenCope said:
When will they start buying the PS3? What do you think will get the console selling more a color change or a AAA game?

Given Sony's track record, I'm personally waiting until the PS3 Slim is released. Day fucking 1 (sometime 2012).

Jammy

Banned
CitizenCope said:

PS3 needs a consistent stream of games to actually get the hardware going for a continuous amount of time. Colors, price drops, and a big game only provide relatively short term boosts.

If you look at why DS or PS2 sold so consistently well the way they did, it was because every week or two there'd be a handful of new releases for the system. PS3 sometimes goes weeks and only gets a game or two released for it.

Eteric Rice

CitizenCope said:

They're probably not. Japan has spoken.

They <3 their Wii, DS, and PSPs.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
donny bet it, but it wasn't a ban bet.

No, I didn't. I said I wouldn't be surprised if it failed to reach 2 million by the Famitsu mid-year Top 100. Conversely, I'm also not surprised to see it reach 2 million before the Famitsu mid-year Top 100. It has had better legs than I expected.

Captain Smoker said:
And here´s the japanese all-time Top51:

#1 includes Yellow, and #2 includes Crystal.

CitizenCope said:
When will they start buying the PS3?

When did they start buying the GameCube?

rykomatsu

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Valkyria is holding up okay compared to Sakura Taisen V and thats about it :lol:

my guess is the tail market for Valkyria will be pretty strong as individual reviews and ratings on sites like Amazon JPN and Yahoo JPN continue to grow and maintain a high raiting. There was quite a bit of apprehension for a lot of people buying VC since there were a lot of aspects of it that appeared to cater to the "otaku" crowd...but it appears to be gradually breaking that preconceived notion.

CrisKre

Its a good week overall but PS3 is doing real real bad. Is it tracking under last year awful numbers by now? god. sony need GAMES asap.

I also think its about time nintendo started pouring some info on what to look forward to on the wii, and hopefully square will unveil FFCC RB soon too.

Gaborn

CrisKre said:
Its a good week overall but PS3 is doing real real bad. Is it tracking under last year awful numbers by now? god. sony need GAMES asap.

Yes. I'm not quite sure by how much, but yes.

I also think its about time nintendo started pouring some info on what to look forward to on the wii, and hopefully square will unveil FFCC RB soon too.

Nintendo has said they'll unveil their holiday lineup at E3, until then we probably won't hear TOO much.

Minsc

Gold Member
CrisKre said:

Wii is tracking even worse than PS3 year over year. According to PantherLotus' charts (which are missed), Wii is tracking at ~90% of its 2007 sales, and PS3 is tracking at 94% of its 2007 sales.

Eteric Rice

Minsc said:
Wii is tracking even worse than PS3 year over year. According to Panther's charts (which are missed), Wii is tracking at ~90% of its 2007 sales, and PS3 is tracking at 94% of its 2007 sales.

Spin spin spin. :D

Threi

notag
Minsc said:
Wii is tracking even worse than PS3 year over year. According to PantherLotus' charts (which are missed), Wii is tracking at ~90% of its 2007 sales, and PS3 is tracking at 94% of its 2007 sales.
Wii had a good run. :(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Minsc said:

Uhhhh..yeah...tell me you acknowledge that this is not at all significant.

Minsc

Gold Member
I like the YoY performance tracking #s & %s, but they are both (as the charts say) so close to last year's values, there's hardly any difference.

I just wanted to try and put the PS3s performance in a better light, spin aside. I feel sorry for it, I do.

Jammy said:
If you look at why DS or PS2 sold so consistently well the way they did, it was because every week or two there'd be a handful of new releases for the system. PS3 sometimes goes weeks and only gets a game or two released for it.

you are right, it's the same problem that afflicted Gamecube (and PSP)

but 8.500 units during GW are terrible numbers, all the japanese are waiting for MGS4 ?

Moor-Angol said:
you are right, it's the same problem that afflicted Gamecube (and PSP)

but 8.500 units during GW are terrible numbers, all the japanese are waiting for MGS4 ?
SCEJ seems to think that and thus the 4 new SKUs coming that day. The Welcome boxes seem to be the biggest bundles ever for the console with near 100k planned. For the record, all other bundles (except Mingol5) were limited to 10k.

donny2112

Captain Smoker said:

2000 Top 100 (Pokemon Pikachu blue-red-green @ 9.98 million)
Famitsu Feb 12-18, 2001 (last Top 30 entry for Gold/Silver @ 5.6 million; Crystal was up to ~1.7 million by the date of the number you posted and eventually reached ~1.8 million, so the combination of the three actually went a little higher than 7.8 million.)

Captain Smoker said:
Do you have the numbers for Yellow, Crystal? :)

The last Crystal number I have is above. The last distinct Yellow number I have is 1.75 million, but it surely went a bit higher.

schuelma said:
I think it's beyond hope now. I mean they introduced a price drop, new color, and a few significant releases last November and while it provided a temporary bump things are now worse than ever.
I think price is still a factor in exactly how bad the figures are. Because the PS3 is cheaper in Japan than anywhere else, people often say price isn't contributing. But Wii is also cheaper there than anywhere else, and PS3 is ~50% more expensive. The delta isn't as big as in America (and they really are aimed at different segments of the market) but I do think it's having some effect.

That said, PS3 has zero chance of ever catching Wii. The biggest problem is not the price, it's consumer disinterest. It's preposterous looking at the Japanese release schedule for PS3 games--sometimes weeks at a time without anything. And that's including the titles in genres or styles the Japanese really don't care for! Restrict it to proven segments, and the schedule is even worse.

Price is not an issue at all with the PS3 in Japan and anyone who uses that argument is only using it as a crutch. The PS3 launch price was not even $100 more then the PS2 was priced at launch. Now the current MSRP of the PS3 in Japan is only 39,980 and the PS2 was 39,800 and at that price, the PS2 sold 1.4 million in it's first month alone.

Japan has always been a one console nation. This time around that console is the Wii.

Vinnk

rykomatsu said:
my guess is the tail market for Valkyria will be pretty strong as individual reviews and ratings on sites like Amazon JPN and Yahoo JPN continue to grow and maintain a high raiting. There was quite a bit of apprehension for a lot of people buying VC since there were a lot of aspects of it that appeared to cater to the "otaku" crowd...but it appears to be gradually breaking that preconceived notion.

Sadly, I don't think that will be the case. Otaku gamers are usually Day 1 buyers. The less hardcore might wait a week or 2 but after that, games targeted at the harcore demographic usually drop like rocks.

I agree that with good press and work of mouth some other people will be convinced to buy this game. But there are already many used copies available and I think they will buy those. That's another problem with hardcore games. The players finish them so damn fast and resell them to buy more games.

It is rare to see games like Mario Kart DS, Monster Hunter 2G, Wii Fit, ect. being traded in. Those are the game that people feel like keeping. With less used copies people are often forced buy buy new ones. This is why these games continue to chart week after week. When a used copy IS available it is often only few hundred yen less than a new copy.

The used Otaku games on the other hand often go for half price or less in as little as a month after release. There is a copy of FIre Emblem at famicom dojo (the little game shop in my town) that is at the store about half of the time. It has been bought and resold to the store several times. He offers a really good rate (about 75%) buyback on games so people will get it play it, beat it and sell it back. He has a Blue Dragon Xbox 360 bundle as well that has been through about 6 owners. Only the first sale ever counts for numbers.

So getting back to my point, Valkyria will probably perform like the other games targeted at the core gamers. It will not seel much beyond its first month but in the end it will probably be played by about 3x the number of people who bought new copies. Its not so much that Japanese gamers hate good games its just that unless they have very strong reasons to get the game new (for example, getting a LE version or being an Otaku) most gamers will wait until the Otaku have had their fill and then get it on the cheap.

Wow, i wrote more than though I woud there..

Does all that make sense or is it really confusing?

Top Bottom