• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
sphinx said:
1.- Mario Party 8
2.- Minna no Golf 5
3.- Taiko etc... ( the DS rythm game )
4.- Its a wonderful worlds, seems like it
5.- Wii Gundam game
6.- grand theft auto liverty city stories PSP
7.- Oblivion 360
8.- Zelda DS
9.- Baseball ps2 game
10, Wii sports.

:D

NSMB AM DOOMED

jimbo said:
Narrow it down to the simplest of logic.....I still don't see how selling 176k copies in one week = sells like ass.

Sure if you compare it to previous games on much larger user bases, yeah you can say it sold a lot less or "low for the series". But ANY game that sells over 100k in one week is a pretty decent success. Heck most games that sell 100k in a month, let alone a week, are considered to have good sales.

Bottom line? Saying 176k in a week is bad, is simply incorrect. You can only say that in the right context, in which case, if you're going to do that, then you DO have to take into considerations all other factors......user base being one of them.
Right. The context is that it sold well for a system in PS3's place. Nothing more (helping PS3 change its place), nothing less (selling like ass).
jimbo said:
Oh and I still don't see why people compare the PS3 to the GC, while going the only difference is price, and then moving right along as if price was no big deal.
Thus far, they've behaved similarly. If some future PS3 price cut causes it to do something different then the comparison may become invalid, but for now it works. 2.5 years of time to allow the PSP to become cheaper hasn't changed much for it.
jimbo said:
PS: WTF is wrong with me? When did I become a PS3 defender? Carry on folks. Nevermind me.
:) Life is funny.
LanceStern said:
If I'm not mistaken, it seems Japan is keen to only support ONE Handheld and ONE console at a time for great sales. It's seen in PSx-N64, SNES-GEN, PS2-GCN-XBX, GBA-NGage, etc.

It's a sketchy reason, but the price is a major issue for the PS3. Had it been $200, would it have fared immensely better to the changing generation of gamers ushered in by the DS and Wii? I think it could have.
Right right. A good price (and availability) at launch would've meant ten times as much as it means now or later.
jimbo said:
Because your Nintendo goggles refuses to let you see the fact that with most developers taking a multiplatform stance, the PS3/360/PC offers a MUCH larger user base than the Wii anyway, despite how well the Wii is selling. And always will provide a much larger user base than the Wii.
How do you count the PC game-buying userbase?
jimbo said:
And yes for the record : I still predict the 360 will cross 1 mil in Japan.
And for the record, I think it's quite possible too, though I'm not ready to say "likely". It's doing better than its predecessor, will be around longer, has more strong support to come than Xbox did in its later years, and in terms of multiplatform efforts PS3 doesn't have the massive advantage PS2 did.
Hcoregamer00 said:
As this generation has proven, 2nd place consoles can carve a niche for themselves.
How does this generation show this any more than the last two?

So to be devil's advocate, I mocked up a set of numbers whereby X360 hits a million by the end of 2010. It's unrealistic in how little sales drop from year to year, but hey. I generally had sales drop 1% per week, other than sporadic bumps, most notably at holidays assuming there's something that can approach a Blue Dragon.
20070801x360million.png

sphinx said:
konami is obsessed with sony and its consoles, I guess.

Their loyalty will remain til the end and their strong franchises will NEVER be distributed around the 3 consoles, it will always be the Playstation console of the season the one that gets priority first and then perhaps port this or that to 360 in case it's needed.

Again, the MGS movie deal will make sure it stays this way. It's too bad too. Most, if not all, movies based on videogames suck ass. Just talk so SE.

And eh, lower MNG sales than I thought. Not to rub this in, but I thought it was supposed to sell 150k first day.

lgoHeaderSony.gif

We need to bump the sales for PS3: release the guaranteed next number one selling game

EverybodysGolf.jpg

ike_070801e.jpg

Your New Overlord The Wiimote
tok10209160647.hmedium.jpg

And you can use it to play the super awesome

52039-forside.jpg

Collective Japan
But this is our overlord

dsinjapan.jpg

No This is your new overlord

Satoru_Iwata_Control_Revolution.jpg

jimbo

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Right right. A good price (and availability) at launch would've meant ten times as much as it means now or later.

How do you count the PC game-buying userbase?

And for the record, I think it's quite possible too, though I'm not ready to say "likely". It's doing better than its predecessor, will be around longer, has more strong support to come than Xbox did in its later years, and in terms of multiplatform efforts PS3 doesn't have the massive advantage PS2 did.

So to be devil's advocate, I mocked up a set of numbers whereby X360 hits a million by the end of 2010. It's unrealistic in how little sales drop from year to year, but hey. I generally had sales drop 1% per week, other than sporadic bumps, most notably at holidays assuming there's something that can approach a Blue Dragon.
20070801x360million.png

Bah, I really hate bumping old threads, but I feel responsible to respond since you put all that work into it.

How or why? Because the best you can really do with the PC-game buying user base is just wild speculation. I can't think how you would really track that.

Glad you agree, but I don't see your chart being unrealistic at all. As a matter of fact, considering we have been keeping up with MC charts for the entire generation....and that the 360 is selling better year over year compared to last year.....why even assume that next year will start selling worse?

donny2112

Xisiqomelir said:
I can't decide which is the most entertaining to have in an MC thread: jimbo, lance, tabris or junior members.

jimbo has some sense to him even if his personal desires do color his statements.
LanceStern sort of lives in his own world that has its own rules about what makes "sense." (e.g. 300K, shovelware licensed titles should sell well for a system to be healthy)
Junior members are a mixed bag, so you can't lump them all together.

Tabris Edit: It suffices to say that I think it's a good thing that he's not posting in these threads.

Reasonable disagreement is welcome. Posters refusing to look at facts, because it doesn't fit their world view (e.g. Monorojo, Tabris) are more trouble than they're worth, again, in my opinion.

I agree with JoshuaJSlone that it's possible for the 360 to get to 1 million. This will especially hold true if the PS3 continues to sell very poorly worldwide. There is also my belief that this generation will last substantially longer than past generations due to the higher starting prices and longer development times this time around, thus giving the 360 more time to sell. It won't get as bad as the Xbox as quickly as the Xbox, because it actually has some games (at least in the near term) that are Japanese oriented.

That being said, I think 750K is a more realistic goal that I think most can agree on.

Xbox sales @ Halo 2 launch as a comparison for what to expect with Halo 3. Basically, it's what we all expected: bump followed by sales returning to normal some weeks later.

I didn't want to bring this over to the new thread for continued discussion, and this thread isn't that old.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
The way people are still posing in this thread when a newer and more upto date version is out kind of reminds me of how Brain Training is still selling as if number 2 hasn't even been released. :lol

Raist

Banned
Question, are bundles sales tracked by media create ? So for Mingol5, those 152k sales are game only or game alone + bundles ?

edit : wrong MC thread <_<

why the **** is this one up

C34:64:25:31

jimbo said:
Bah, I really hate bumping old threads, but I feel responsible to respond since you put all that work into it.
Ha, don't worry about it. I'm sure most of them won't feel too sad, having missed further conversation with jimbo about X360 reaching a million. :)
jimbo said:
How or why? Because the best you can really do with the PC-game buying user base is just wild speculation. I can't think how you would really track that.
The thing is, as people have pointed out, the way things are going it does seem likely Wii will outnumber PS3+X360 worldwide within a year. Thus to say that PS3+X360+PC userbase will always be much bigger, there's got to be some sort of measurement of what to count as the PC gaming userbase.
jimbo said:
Glad you agree, but I don't see your chart being unrealistic at all. As a matter of fact, considering we have been keeping up with MC charts for the entire generation....and that the 360 is selling better year over year compared to last year.....why even assume that next year will start selling worse?
That's the big wild card. But realistically, ALL consoles drop off in later years, especially those in 2nd/3rd.

GameCube's years, Famitsu
2001: 930K
2002: 1.04M
2003: 1.06M (+2%)
2004: 711K (-33%)
2005: 283K (-60%)
2006: 79K (-72%)

Xbox's years, Famitsu
2002: 329K
2003: 95K (-71%)
2004: 36K (-62%)
2005: 13K (-64%)

Even PS2
2000: 3.10M
2001: 3.28M (+6%)
2002: 3.78M (+15%)
2003: 2.99M (-21%)
2004: 2.93M (-2%)
2005: 2.02M (-31%)
2006: 1.47M (-27%)

And now the fake X360 future
2005: 71K
2006: 194K
2007: 270K (+39%)
2008: 232K (-14%)
2009: 134K (-42%)
2010: 99K (-26%)

So for X360 to hit a million by 2010, it will need to hold on much more like PS2 than GCN/Xbox.

jimbo

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
C34:64:25:31

Ha, don't worry about it. I'm sure most of them won't feel too sad, having missed further conversation with jimbo about X360 reaching a million. :)

The thing is, as people have pointed out, the way things are going it does seem likely Wii will outnumber PS3+X360 worldwide within a year. Thus to say that PS3+X360+PC userbase will always be much bigger, there's got to be some sort of measurement of what to count as the PC gaming userbase.

That's the big wild card. But realistically, ALL consoles drop off in later years, especially those in 2nd/3rd.

GameCube's years, Famitsu
2001: 930K
2002: 1.04M
2003: 1.06M (+2%)
2004: 711K (-33%)
2005: 283K (-60%)
2006: 79K (-72%)

Xbox's years, Famitsu
2002: 329K
2003: 95K (-71%)
2004: 36K (-62%)
2005: 13K (-64%)

Even PS2
2000: 3.10M
2001: 3.28M (+6%)
2002: 3.78M (+15%)
2003: 2.99M (-21%)
2004: 2.93M (-2%)
2005: 2.02M (-31%)
2006: 1.47M (-27%)

And now the fake X360 future
2005: 71K
2006: 194K
2007: 270K (+39%)
2008: 232K (-14%)
2009: 134K (-42%)
2010: 99K (-26%)

So for X360 to hit a million by 2010, it will need to hold on much more like PS2 than GCN/Xbox.

I have no idea how to judge PC user base, other than wild speculation, but you cannot count it out either when you have a lot of games selling pretty well on the PC side.

Also I have never agreed with predicting what happens in one generation, using trends from a previous generation. It is completely different. Consoles, prices, release schedule, price drops, launches are all different. Especially when you look at what happened with Japan last generation. The videogame economy, as a whole, was on a continuous downward slope the entire generation.

I don't believe either the 360 nor the PS3 will sell less next year than they did this year.

Top Bottom