• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 14-20, 2009

Cipherr

Wow, nsmb wii...

Man you just never really know what game on that console people will decide to latch themselves to. And wtf is friends collection.

Go level 5 games!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
Well, Inside-Games.jp hasn't updated, yet. There's still a chance it could come out soon, but next week is looking more and more likely. Monday, maybe?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

jeremy1456

Wow at the FFXIII drop. I don't think any rational minded person was expecting it to be number 1 this week, but I was convinced that 2 was a lock.

legend166

Puncture said:
Wow, nsmb wii...

Man you just never really know what game on that console people will decide to latch themselves to. And wtf is friends collection.

Go level 5 games!

Yep, who would have ever guessed NSMB Wii would sell so well?!

jeremy1456 said:
Wow at the FFXIII drop. I don't think any rational minded person was expecting it to be number 1 this week, but I was convinced that 2 was a lock.

It never had a shot at #2 with Spirit Tracks coming out. Final Fantasy mainline titles always seem to fall in to the 200-300k range in their second weeks, and Zelda was going to do more than that. Friend Collection selling more also isn't that surprising given what it is and the holiday season.

Yamauchi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Famitsu Top 10: 12/21 - 12/27/2009

1. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
2. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
3. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
4. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
5. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon)
6. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
7. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5)
8. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
9. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Bandai Namco)
10. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of the Malevolent Spirit (Level 5)

...:lol
6 Nintendo or subsidiary published games in the top 10 in one of the biggest weeks in Japan. This is a company that still knows what is doing despite Japan's stagnant gaming market.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yamauchi said:
6 Nintendo or subsidiary published games in the top 10 in one of the biggest weeks in Japan. This is a company that still knows what is doing despite Japan's stagnant gaming market.

yam.gif

Cipherr

donny2112 said:
Animal Crossing/Sims game with Miis. How could it not sell!?! :lol

Ok well that makes sense.

legend166 said:
Yep, who would have ever guessed NSMB Wii would sell so well?!

Its not that I didnt think it would do well. I did, but cmon, this seems to be far outpacing even the DS version. Now that I just did not expect, thats crazy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
obonicus said:
Even against 2D Mario? (Not that we'll ever find out.)
If NSMB Wii sells 400,000 units this week, it'd essentially be tied with DQIX's first week after its forth week.

So while NSMB Wii might outsell it eventually, it would not have beat it in its launch month.

swerve

For the first time in a long time Wii hardware was sold out today in one of the bigger stores (joshin) on my usual gamestore trip. Mario was sold out in two stores including the usually reliable 古本市場.

So whatever Mario's numbers this/next week, it probably could have done more.

Interestingly though, I haven't been to Tsutaya for ages and I went in today - it's SonyLand, with PS3 dominating the whole game section. 360 has been discontinued at this store (which is a pisser because I was after L4D2)

Regulus Tera said:
Considering it is probably the most expensive FF to date, I don't think they are necessary.
Nah, given how shittily the PS3 has done so far (in comparison to the PS2) if Squeenix can come within 200,000 units of FFXII I'd say they have completely averted a pure bomba, and instead just ended up with a slight disappointment.

obonicus

cvxfreak said:
Are people actually questioning FFXIII's success? Because people really shouldn't. :p

But they will. It'll be the MH3 thing of 'Sure it did pretty well, but did it do pretty well enough?'

kswiston

Regulus Tera said:
Considering it is probably the most expensive FF to date, I don't think they are necessary.

Was Metal Gear Solid 4 a bomb as well? Dev costs were likely in the same ballpark as FFXIII, yet FF XIII doubled it's Japanese LTD in 4 days.

Good thing Konami and S-E make money from more than just the Japanese sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kswiston said:
Was Metal Gear Solid 4 a bomb as well? Dev costs were likely in the same ballpark as FFXIII, yet FF XIII doubled it's Japanese LTD in 4 days.

I imagine what will actually get the most bomba chat going is when we see copies in bins for $12 or so, regardless of how much it sold.

Wow at NSMBWii, 4M for sure now :D

We need to know the numbers before judging FF13's drop, but as the trend for FF games goes the drop is huge.

kswiston said:

Didn't MGS4 actually do better then most MGS games?

Brofist

kswiston said:

Not selling up to the same numbers as a mainline FF game = bomb? OK

Brofist

Nirolak said:
I imagine what will actually get the most bomba chat going is when we see copies in bins for $12 or so, regardless of how much it sold.

Well if the game is over 2 years old at that point I would really say it's a bomb. Either way you won't see it being sold at that price until next gen probably.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
cvxfreak said:
Famitsu Top 10: 12/21 - 12/27/2009

1. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
2. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
3. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
4. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
5. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon)
6. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
7. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5)
8. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
9. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Bandai Namco)
10. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of the Malevolent Spirit (Level 5)

...:lol

This is incredible. Either FFXIII is supply constrained (which I think that is indeed the case), or that's it for the PS3 in Japan. Yes, yes. I know this is too soon to tell. But if FFXIII goes the way of MGS4, and doesn't become a breakout killer ap for the PS this gen then I don't know what will. Surely GT5 won't if FFXIII can't.

Again, this is all speculation, but this makes things mouth watering interesting. >:^)

cvxfreak said:
Are people actually questioning FFXIII's success? Because people really shouldn't. :p

This is GAF we're talking about. :lol

Vilix said:
This is incredible. Either FFXIII is supply constrained (which I think that is indeed the case), or that's it for the PS3 in Japan. Yes, yes. I know this is too soon to tell. But if FFXIII goes the way of MGS4, and doesn't become a breakout killer ap for the PS this gen then I don't know what will. Surely GT5 won't if FFXIII can't.

Again, this is all speculation, but this makes things mouth watering interesting. >:^)

It begins.

Vinnk

Vilix said:
This is incredible. Either FFXIII is supply constrained (which I think that is indeed the case)

You think wrong. Bail out now. Before JGAF eats you alive.

Other than possibly some random mom and pop shops, the game is available at every game store in Japan. The Lightning bundles are sold out in my town and possibly everywhere but there are more than enough standalone copies. In fact many retailers are discounting them (no price collapse, just small discounts) meaning that they are not fearful of running out. The leading online retailers all have it discounted. Suruga has it down to 6,650 (from 9,240yen), amazon has it at 7,387 (but they might have had that price since the beginning). In any case, there is not a single person in Japan that wanted this game but couldn't find it in stores.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the info, Vinnky. We really won't know how things turn out for weeks. But, this is very interesting indeed.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Ruud_Luiten said:
So is FFXIII the same bomba as MH3?

With what it costs SE to make this game, it MAY well be. But, this is just Japan. Worldwide I'm sure it'll do just fine. And, like I've said before, we don't have the numbers, and this is just too early to tell.

justchris

donny2112 said:
Animal Crossing/Sims game with Miis. How could it not sell!?! :lol

Now all they need to do is integrate something similar into the OS for the Super Wii and they can have another success on their hands.

Top Bottom