• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 14-20, 2009

EXGN

LINK.AGE76 said:
I think MGS 1 and 3 sold more than 4.

I'm pretty sure MGS4 outsold MGS3, worldwide at least. I think in went MGS2>1>4>3.

EDIT: Yeah, forgot we're talking Japan only here. I don't specifically remember how the games did there, just remember they were all around the 600K-800K range.

Vilix said:
With what it costs SE to make this game, it MAY well be. But, this is just Japan. Worldwide I'm sure it'll do just fine. And, like I've said before, we don't have the numbers, and this is just too early to tell.
it's the best you're gonna do with that install base and that franchise. If it manages to get within arm's reach of 2 million, that's an accomplishment. That's ~ a 50% attach rate for the Japanese owners. Anything better is a miracle; anything less is expected.

Inside Games updated...what google translate says....

1. New Super Mario Bros. Wii 506,000 / 2.44 million
2. Whistle this earth Legend of Zelda: 291,000 / 291,000
3. Tomodachikorekushon 227,000 books / 2.317 million
4. Final Fantasy XIII 189,000 / 1.69 million
5. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver 125,000 / 3.465 million
6. Wii Fit Plus 114,000 / 1.315 million
7. Inazuma Eleven 2 99,000 / 908,000
8. Wii Sports Resort 77,200 / 1.568 million
9. Taiko Wii 66,000 / 200,000
10. Flute Professor Layton and the Devil this 64,000 / 559,000

legend166

Vinnk said:
You think wrong. Bail out now. Before JGAF eats you alive.

Other than possibly some random mom and pop shops, the game is available at every game store in Japan. The Lightning bundles are sold out in my town and possibly everywhere but there are more than enough standalone copies. In fact many retailers are discounting them (no price collapse, just small discounts) meaning that they are not fearful of running out. The leading online retailers all have it discounted. Suruga has it down to 6,650 (from 9,240yen), amazon has it at 7,387 (but they might have had that price since the beginning). In any case, there is not a single person in Japan that wanted this game but couldn't find it in stores.

FFXIII price collapse would be amazing.

Anyway, obviously it's not a bomb or even a disappointment. But at the same time, increased costs but decreased revenue is always a bad thing. I can't imagine there's any scenario wherein FFXIII didn't cost more to develop than any FF so far. Probably even substantially so. But that's the realities of this generation. You've got the Wii which is barren for 3rd parties for a variety of reasons, and the HD consoles which require much greater development costs.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this; if you said to SE 6 months ago, "Hey, would you be happy with lifetime sales of FFXIII in Japan of about 1.8-1.9 million?" They'd probably reply with "Yeah, that's about what we're expecting."

If you asked them 4 years ago if they'd be happy with those numbers considering the rise in development costs, they'd give a resounding "Hell no."

Who knows though, the added western sales from putting it on the 360 and however much MS moneyhatted them (if they did) may offset it.

legend166 said:

Anyway, obviously it's not a bomb or even a disappointment. But at the same time, increased costs but decreased revenue is always a bad thing. I can't imagine there's any scenario wherein FFXIII didn't cost more to develop than any FF so far. Probably even substantially so. But that's the realities of this generation. You've got the Wii which is barren for 3rd parties for a variety of reasons, and the HD consoles which require much greater development costs.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this; if you said to SE 6 months ago, "Hey, would you be happy with lifetime sales of FFXIII in Japan of about 1.8-1.9 million?" They'd probably reply with "Yeah, that's about what we're expecting."

If you asked them 4 years ago if they'd be happy with those numbers considering the rise in development costs, they'd give a resounding "Hell no."

Who knows though, the added western sales from putting it on the 360 and however much MS moneyhatted them (if they did) may offset it.
It's not a bomb but MH3 is? ;)

Xeke

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Inside Games updated...what google translate says....

1. New Super Mario Bros. Wii 506,000 / 2.44 million
2. Whistle this earth Legend of Zelda: 291,000 / 291,000
3. Tomodachikorekushon 227,000 books / 2.317 million
4. Final Fantasy XIII 189,000 / 1.69 million
5. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver 125,000 / 3.465 million
6. Wii Fit Plus 114,000 / 1.315 million
7. Inazuma Eleven 2 99,000 / 908,000
8. Wii Sports Resort 77,200 / 1.568 million
9. Taiko Wii 66,000 / 200,000
10. Flute Professor Layton and the Devil this 64,000 / 559,000

Wow half a million Marios.

RaijinFY

legend166 said:

FF has simply became ordinary.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
WretchedTruman said:
it's the best you're gonna do with that install base and that franchise. If it manages to get within arm's reach of 2 million, that's an accomplishment. That's ~ a 50% attach rate for the Japanese owners. Anything better is a miracle; anything less is expected.

Except, games are supposed to push install base forward.

I'm sure that when FFX came out the attach rate was really good, and a lot of people bought PS2s in advance partly in anticipation for the game.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
WretchedTruman said:

What I'm looking for is how well FFXIII pushes sales of the PS3 in Japan. If FF can help keep hardware sales up well after the holidays then it's gonna be a breakout hit, and the killer app the PS3 needs in Japan IMO. Just like Brain Training and NSMB was for the DS. I think it's definately possible with the price cut and this game.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I still can't believe they launched main Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in the same year. I wonder if analysts will be all doom and gloom next year over "declines".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Azelover said:
I still can't believe they launched main Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in the same year. I wonder if analysts will be all doom and gloom next year over "declines".
It depends on how Eidos' properties perform, as that seems to be largely what they're leaning on even if Versus XIII comes out.

Kenka

Azelover said:

Current plannings indicate shit for Q1/Q2 2010, especially compared to 2009. But they aren't final of course.

Road

Vilix said:
What I'm looking for is how well FFXIII pushes sales of the PS3 in Japan. If FF can help keep hardware sales up well after the holidays then it's gonna be a breakout hit, and the killer app the PS3 needs in Japan IMO. Just like Brain Training and NSMB was for the DS. I think it's definately possible with the price cut and this game.
Definately possible.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Bit lower than I thought for FF13 given the holiday sales period.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vilix said:

Given how quickly the game is going to fall I don't see how this is remotely possible.

Go IE2! I was the only person who thought this would be a million seller (i think) when the question was asked awhile ago. The first game had a pair of legs too amazing to ignore, especially for a new IP RPG. Oops sorry for bump didnt realise there was new thread

Since MGS has come up for whatever reason, here's how the PS2-and-later ones compare in their initial releases. No Mega Hits, no Subliminalessence editions.

Mr. Pointy said:
Holy shit at FFXIII's drop.

That's gonna set a precedent.
But it's following the precedent already set by previous FFs?

test_account

XP-39C²
danielijohnson said:
Wow, I can't imagine why the sequel was a sales failure.

[/sarcasm]
Do you mean sarcasm why Taiko Drum Master 2 Wii is a sales failure or do you mean sarcasm why you can't imagine why it it is sales failure? I dont think that it is a sales failure, but i just wonder if there is any known reason why Taiko Drum Master 2 Wii hasnt sold as well as Taiko Drum Master 1 Wii has, so far at least. Maybe Taiko Drum Master 2 Wii ends up selling just as well as Taiko Drum Master 1 Wii, or perhaps it ends up selling even better than Taiko Drum Master 2 Wii :)

Vilix said:
This is incredible. Either FFXIII is supply constrained (which I think that is indeed the case), or that's it for the PS3 in Japan. Yes, yes. I know this is too soon to tell. But if FFXIII goes the way of MGS4, and doesn't become a breakout killer ap for the PS this gen then I don't know what will. Surely GT5 won't if FFXIII can't.

Again, this is all speculation, but this makes things mouth watering interesting. >:^)
Out of curiousity, how do you mean with "that's it for the PS3 in Japan"? Personally i think that FFXIII is already a killer ap for the PS3 for many people at least. The PS3 hardware sales has been pretty good lately, and i think that FFXIII is one of the reasons for this :) About FFXIII being a breakout game for the PS3, if FFXIII ends up selling for example 300k-500k less compared to FF12, will the PS3 receive less support/games from 3rd parties then, or wont FFXIII sales preformance affect the support from 3rd parties? I think that is an interesting question :)

Vilix said:
With what it costs SE to make this game, it MAY well be. But, this is just Japan. Worldwide I'm sure it'll do just fine. And, like I've said before, we don't have the numbers, and this is just too early to tell.
How much did it cost SE to make FFXIII? It should be interesting to know :) Gran Turismo 5 cost about 60 million US dollars to make and i think the development cycle was about 5 years. How does FFXIII compares to this?

EDIT: I added some text.

cgcg

Mr. Pointy said:
Holy shit at FFXIII's drop.

That's gonna set a precedent.

I know what you mean man. It's going to set a precedent by following a precedent set by other FF games. Holy shit!!

Top Bottom