• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 28, 2009-Jan 3, 2010

gerg

Chris1964 said:
Bottom line from what you say is that market leader is never the first, one way or the other, and every time Nintendo is the last.

I don't think that that's a correct reading of what stump said, at all.

Who guarantees Nintendo that they will be market leaders again next negeration and why would they be hurry to be the first this time?

Because the latter might be a way towards achieving the former?

Are they gonna take all the third party support with this move?

It depends: will Nintendo make a concerted effort to attract third-party support?

In regards to the DS2, I can't imagine that Japanese third-party development would be particularly hard to procure. However, Nintendo would need to make an effort to attract Western developers to the platform, but a la the Wii that is very much a case of moving forwards from nothing.

In regards to the Wii 2, what existing third-party support? This is a situation which can mostly only get better.

But more important is if Nintendo is so sure that they will have the multi-million sellers they have now with Wii and DS. Why should they kill the systems, that sell like nothing Nintendo has produced before, before their time when they make so much money for them?

As I have said, this is the inevitable conflict between making sure you are making the most out of your current platforms and releasing your future platforms in a competitive time period. Who knows when, exactly, the DS will apex? The same question can be asked of the situation with the Wii. On the other hand, releasing another console before competitors do so can be a good way to quickly gain an advantage over the competition.

Road

noobie said:
Where are first day numbers ?? or they are also closed.? sorry if i m the ignorant one here. :$
Birth By Sleep release date is Jan 9th (Saturday instead of the usual Thursday), so no first day for it probably.

There isn't anything else meaningful.

Didn't overall DS software sales decline in 2008 and do we have total numbers for 2009 yet?

While I could see DS software rebounding this year I would if a lot of that is being soaked up by the handful of uber releases. Perhaps a decrease in output is publishers reading a level of software saturation in the platform? Despite it's gigantic userbase the DS has a pretty stocked back catalogue of titles, most of which are probably readily available 2nd hand on top of that, and as much as they are lauded I've wondered for a while how much the evergreen sellers potentially choke out sales of other newer software? I just wonder if it's all having a polarising effect of you either sell big or you come up short which may be causing publishers to try their luck elsewhere.

Then again I've not put any research into this, it's just an impression that's built up from frequenting these threads.

apujanata

gerg said:

It depends: will Nintendo make a concerted effort to attract third-party support?

In regards to the DS2, I can't imagine that Japanese third-party development would be particularly hard to procure. However, Nintendo would need to make an effort to attract Western developers to the platform, but a la the Wii that is very much a case of moving forwards from nothing.

In regards to the Wii 2, what existing third-party support? This is a situation which can mostly only get better.

As I have said, this is the inevitable conflict between making sure you are making the most out of your current platforms and releasing your future platforms in a competitive time period. Who knows when, exactly, the DS will apex? The same question can be asked of the situation with the Wii. On the other hand, releasing another console before competitors do so can be a good way to quickly gain an advantage over the competition.

I am pretty sure that Nintendo will launch Wii 2 AFTER PS4 or XBOX 360 NEXT. X360 being first didn't give them #1, PS3 being second (before Wii) didn't give them #1. I am pretty sure the benefit of releasing first when you were #1 in the current gen is outweighted by the disadvantages (like allowing people to copy your ideas etc).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gerg said:
I don't see how this isn't a correct reading. The market leader is never the first and Nintendo is always the last. Where is the error?

gerg said:

All of these guarantee nothing to Nintendo. Right now Nintendo makes a ton of money with Wii and DS. Suddenly the company decides to kill them before their time and be the first to launch the next consoles without knowing if they will have the same success again, because maybe in this way they will be first again. I thought Nintendo is the company that takes no financial risks and always looks the bank account. From a financial point this must look like a suicide to Nintendo. And if there is the transition Wii -> Wii HD -> Wii 2 things are much worse.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Die Squirrel Die said:
Didn't overall DS software sales decline in 2008 and do we have total numbers for 2009 yet?

While I could see DS software rebounding this year I would if a lot of that is being soaked up by the handful of uber releases. Perhaps a decrease in output is publishers reading a level of software saturation in the platform? Despite it's gigantic userbase the DS has a pretty stocked back catalogue of titles, most of which are probably readily available 2nd hand on top of that, and as much as they are lauded I've wondered for a while how much the evergreen sellers potentially choke out sales of other newer software? I just wonder if it's all having a polarising effect of you either sell big or you come up short which may be causing publishers to try their luck elsewhere.

Then again I've not put any research into this, it's just an impression that's built up from frequenting these threads.
You are wrong. Even with the overall DS software sales decline in 2008 it remained far ahead of the competition. There wasn't any further decline for 2009.

mclem

bcn-ron said:
I fully expect another spinning little plastic disc of the optical conviction, but without the caddy this time around. A slot-in drive on a handheld would be awesome, wouldn't it?

I can just imagine the litany of complants from people who levered open their old UMD caddies to get at the disc inside and then ended up disappointed when it wasn't actually compatible...

Chris1964 said:
You are wrong. Even with the overall DS software sales decline in 2008 it remained far ahead of the competition. There wasn't any further decline for 2009.

Well done on missing most of what I was putting forth as possibility.

gerg

apujanata said:
I am pretty sure that Nintendo will launch Wii 2 AFTER PS4 or XBOX 360 NEXT. X360 being first didn't give them #1, PS3 being second (before Wii) didn't give them #1.

The Xbox 360's early release was certainly a factor in it being so successful against the PS3. The "we don't compete" line is often used as PR spin to mask lack of success, but I think it is relevant here, whereby the Wii's success (and thus the 360's resignation to an "also-ran") is with almost entirely different demographics than those attracted to the 360. This latter point is also true for the PS3.

I am pretty sure the benefit of releasing first when you were #1 in the current gen is outweighted by the disadvantages (like allowing people to copy your ideas etc).

Unless we are talking about years between console launches, there would be no time for a company to make meaningful changes to their console based on the decisions of a competitor.

I can see the Sixaxis being brought up as a rebuttal, but we all know how significant that turned out to be.

Chris1964 said:
I don't see how this isn't a correct reading. The market leader is never the first and Nintendo is always the last. Where is the error?

Your statement implies some kind of universal rule that will hold for the future, whereas Stump's post only refers to what has happened previously, all the while maintaining that we have too little data in order to conclude that it would be a mistake to automatically presume that the market leader should never launch their successor first.

All of these guarantee nothing to Nintendo. Right now Nintendo makes a ton of money with Wii and DS. Suddenly the company decides to kill them before their time and be the first to launch the next consoles without knowing if they will have the same success again, because maybe in this way they will be first again.

Bear in mind that, with regards to the DS2 we are talking about at least a period of nine months before its successor launches, and with regards to the Wii there may be close to two-and-a-half years before its successor is launched.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. Yes, this move would be a risk. So? Furthermore, NoA actively killed the GBA before its time, despite not knowing if the DS was going to succeed.

I thought Nintendo is the company that takes no financial risks and always looks the bank account.

Of course Nintendo makes financial risks; the DS was a risk, as was the Wii.

At the risk of making an arbitrary distinction, it could be argued that Nintendo makes "marketshare risks" as opposed to "financial risks".

From a financial point this must look like a suicide to Nintendo. And if there is the transition Wii -> Wii HD -> Wii 2 things are much worse.

I, at least, don't think that a Wii HD will be launched.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Die Squirrel Die said:
Well done on missing most of what I was putting forth as possibility.
OK then.

Your impression is wrong. Even with the overall DS software sales decline in 2008 it remained far ahead of the competition. There wasn't any further decline for 2009.

Road

Famitsu December 2009 Top 10 (2009/11/30 ~ 12/27):

01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 2,485,150 / NEW
02. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1,698,256 / NEW
03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 602,739 / 2,311,948
04. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 443,216 / NEW
05. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 360,896 / 3,382,597
06. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 356,405 / 1,298,533
07. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Bandai Namco Games) - 339,034 / NEW
08. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 320,940 / NEW
09. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 284,511 / 943,615
10. [NDS] Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue (Level 5) - 250,795 / 552,085

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/monthly/1231096_1818.html

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gerg said:
Your statement implies some kind of universal rule that will hold for the future, whereas Stump's post only refers to what has happened previously, all the while maintaining that we have too little data in order to conclude that it would be a mistake to automatically presume that the market leader should never launch their successor first.
My statement implies that what I say is a universal rule that holded for the past and I don't see the reason it won't hold for the future.

gerg said:
Bear in mind that, with regards to the DS2 we are talking about at least a period of nine months before its successor launches, and with regards to the Wii there may be close to two-and-a-half years before its successor is launched.

DS 2 in late 2010 / early 2011 and Wii 2 in middle 2012? This Wii date doesn't agree with Wii 2 launcing ahead of the competition.

gerg said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. Yes, this move would be a risk. So? Furthermore, NoA actively killed the GBA before its time, despite not knowing if the DS was going to succeed.
NoJ>>>>>NoA. NoJ killed GBA before its time in the USA and right in time in Japan. Are you comparing GBA to DS? Because regarding hardware and software sales DS is leagues ahead of GBA.

gerg

Chris1964 said:
DS 2 in late 2010 / early 2011 and Wii 2 in middle 2012? This Wii date doesn't agree with Wii 2 launcing ahead of the competition.

I'm not claiming that Nintendo will, for sure, launch the Wii2 ahead of the competition. I'm simply highlighting the reasons why it might.

In either case, my post was simply meant to highlight that we shouldn't act as if Nintendo is launching new consoles tomorrow.

NoJ>>>>>NoA. NoJ killed GBA before its time in the USA and right in time in Japan. Are you comparing GBA to DS? Because regarding hardware and software sales DS is leagues ahead of GBA.

It doesn't matter that the DS turned out to be much more successful than the GBA. At the time, Nintendo was killing its prize cash cow (and prematurely in its biggest (?) region) to launch a console it had so little assurance in that it invented the whole "third pillar" PR-speak to cover itself in case it failed.

That Nintendo took the right risk doesn't mean that the risk didn't exist.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gerg said:
It doesn't matter that the DS turned out to be much more successful than the GBA. At the time, Nintendo was killing its prize cash cow (and prematurely in its biggest (?) region) to launch a console it had so little assurance in that it invented the whole "third pillar" PR-speak to cover itself in case it failed.

That Nintendo took the right risk doesn't mean that the risk didn't exist.
This is where we differ. GC was dead and GBA was just ok in Europe, good in Japan and very good in America. Nintendo couldn't continue with this model and it's not accident that the company had the only negative quarter in its history ever that period.

Today it's a completely different situation.

selig

Banned
btw has anyone already updated the great mario-chart graph? With now 2,7mio nsmb wii should have climbed up a few more ranks

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
selig said:
btw has anyone already updated the great mario-chart graph? With now 2,7mio nsmb wii should have climbed up a few more ranks

It went up 2 positions (Media Create)

01 / 01. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 6.810.000
02 / 02. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 899.518 / ~5.600.000
03 / 03. [NGB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - / 4.190.000
04 / 04. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - / 3.840.000
05 / 05. [SFC] Super Mario World (Nintendo) - / 3.550.000
06 / 08. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 934.739 / 2.708.492
06 / 05. [NGB] Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Nintendo) - / 2.700.000
07 / 06. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - / 2.650.000

d+pad

Random thought here:

Some here have commented on how the success NSMBW could benefit sales of SMG2, especially if it's released as expected in March/April/May.

I wonder if the opposite will be true, though--could the release (and subsequent promotion) of SMG2 reinvigorate NSMBW sales at that time as well?

Busaiku

I don't think you can really say that NCL kept the GBA alive longer than NoA.

In the US, it was selling well into 2007, however, in Japan, it died around the time DS took off (in 2005).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
d+pad said:
Random thought here:

Some here have commented on how the success NSMBW could benefit sales of SMG2, especially if it's released as expected in March/April/May.

I wonder if the opposite will be true, though--could the release (and subsequent promotion) of SMG2 reinvigorate NSMBW sales at that time as well?
Of course it will. I'm sure Nintendo will include NSMBW videos for Galaxy 2 promotion.

justchris

Chris1964 said:
I'll take everyone up on this one. Wii falls in sales, Wii HD is coming, DS continues its strong sales, DS 2 is coming. Either way Nintendo must always be the first. Typical Nintendo. Never before the market leader was the first to launch a new system, what's the reason now? (and especially with DS)

Well, the difference is, Wii HD was a pipedream almost from the beginning. DS 2 has actually gotten a mention from Iwata, which is what started the speculation in the first place. Had Iwata never said anything, I doubt we'd be discussing it right now (well, not seriously anyway).

As for a reason, I'd say one of the key factors would be that there are limitations to what they can do on the DS, game development wise. At some point, Nintendo is going to want to make a game they can't make on the DS, and that's going to be as much impetus to move to the next hardware as any market factors will be. Financially conservative or not, they are still a dedicated games company, and their best chance of staying on top is to do things in the gaming space no one else is doing. Being the first to market with a new game concept that's only possible on their hardware should be worth the risk.

RpgN

Rocksteady33 said:
A game similar to Animal Crossing but rather the characters are Mii's.

Hmmm...I'm not sure if that sounds appealing. I never heard of it before. Are there plans for it to be brought to the west as well?

Road said:
Hmm, yeah. I didn't realize the first shipment of FFXIII is now gone. Wonder until how long S-E announces 2 million shipped. (You know they will.)

Yup, 2 million shipped is pretty much a sure bet now. Hopefully it sells around 2 million copies as well. Regardless if it reaches that figure or not, it did well for itself and performed similar to previous FFs.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Good catch, PSP2 fell off my radar since everyone was focusing on NSMB Wii and FF13.

And that's why I'm here to keep you on your toes girl ;) Sega can't really complain anymore but it's still a disappointment compared to the first. Let's see if it can ever touch the 600k figure eventually.

gerg said:
On the one hand, given how things have turned out with the PSP I don't think they have to worry too much about western developers/publishers falling head over heels for PSP2, so as long as the next DS isn't just a DSix2 I don't see that being a big problem. On the other hand, again given how things have worked out between DS and PSP in the west, it doesn't seem like they're particularly necessary for Mega Success anyway.
gerg said:
On the other hand, releasing another console before competitors do so can be a good way to quickly gain an advantage over the competition.
Absolutely. X360's year head start is the key thing that makes it the top HD twin worldwide, and keeps Wii's lead from seeming as dominant as PS2's last gen.
Die Squirrel Die said:
I don't know if any tracker has released any overall figures, since I tend to pay more attention to tracking the individual data points. Whenever we get the Top 500 my total figure for software on DS always jumps by a few million. However, looking at the first ~50 weeks of the last few years, it does appear that 2007 > 2009 > 2008.

NSMBWii numbers declined a big deal, as expected. Still strong

FFXIII looks like a lock for 2-2.2 million. Most recent FFs land in the 2 million - 2.5 million range so that means the Japan PS2-FF base migrated to PS3. Hardware numbers still strong.

How are the 360 numbers being calculated? Only looks like the last 3 digits changed

d+pad

Chris1964 said:
Of course it will. I'm sure Nintendo will include NSMBW videos for Galaxy 2 promotion.

Yes, I guess my comment was/seemed a bit basic :) I brought it up, though, because it seems like releasing SMG2 (in Japan, esp.) within a certain time frame (March/April/May) could help prolong or even strengthen NSMBW's legs--and Wii HW legs, too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
I hope Last Ranker is a mid-2010 release or later, because if not, it's totally going to tank given the current vibe right now. Awareness for the game is pretty much non-existent for the game, and even though it was playable at Jump Festa, I haven't seen a single demo impression online. Not a good sign at all.
Honestly! I was looking forward to Last Ranker and Estpolis DS impressions and got nothing... I wonder what that means for them sales-wise.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Wada would be dancing in the streets if that happened. That would be a bigger first week than any game in the series except for Kingdom Hearts II. Given that it's a non-numbered entry on a platform with a smaller install base, I doubt it reaches that level of sales. Yeah, it's treated as a more important game than Chain of Memories or 358/2 Days, but it still isn't a numbered entry.

Hell, that would be bigger than Crisis Core's first week sales.

I think somewhere between 350-400,000 is pretty likely.

You've convinced me, I'm gonna say 350k first week then.

gamergirly said:
NSMBWii numbers declined a big deal, as expected. Still strong

FFXIII looks like a lock for 2-2.2 million. Most recent FFs land in the 2 million - 2.5 million range so that means the Japan PS2-FF base migrated to PS3. Hardware numbers still strong.

How are the 360 numbers being calculated? Only looks like the last 3 digits changed

I think FFXIII can reach 2 million, 2.2 million is unlikely though unless you're including The Best and International re releases.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Honestly! I was looking forward to Last Ranker and Estpolis DS impressions and got nothing... I wonder what that means for them sales-wise.

Estpolis is going to bomb. No two ways around it. The franchise is pretty much dead, and S-E isn't doing much to give the game any needed space or extra promotional push. Last Ranker has *some* hope if Capcom actually ramps up promotion big time closer to release (which has to be many more months from now if it wants to stand a chance), but I doubt it'll do more than a little over 100k at best.

Aru

duckroll said:
Estpolis is going to bomb. No two ways around it. The franchise is pretty much dead, and S-E isn't doing much to give the game any needed space or extra promotional push. Last Ranker has *some* hope if Capcom actually ramps up promotion big time closer to release (which has to be many more months from now if it wants to stand a chance), but I doubt it'll do more than a little over 100k at best.

Most S-E games on DS beside mainline FF remakes bombed :( So it wouldn't be surprising if Estpolis bombs too. I just hope it makes it over to NA and Europe. I actually like this kind of initiative: taking an existing game and transforming it into something else, while keeping the same storyline.

Anyone has the LTD numbers for all S-E games on DS ?

Oxx

Have SE come close to selling Echoes of Time's original shipment yet?

And the Wii sales for EoT just make Crystal Bearers' performance all the more pathetic.

Spiegel said:
No one went to buy KH:BBS? cvxfreak? king zell?

I thought we would have some pictures/musings by now :p
Sold out in amazon until 1/14. Pretty good preorders numbers on comgnet, comparison taking the day before release:
Kingdom Hearts II - 2158pt
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 755pt
Dissidia Final Fantasy - 703pt
Kingdom Hearts 358 / 2 Days - 588pt
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep - 1234pt

Now Famitsu 1st week comparison:
Kingdom Hearts - 411,492 (4 days)
Kingdom Hearts II - 737,652 (4 days)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 470,152 (4 days)
Dissidia Final Fantasy - 503,723 (4 days)
Kingdom Hearts 358 / 2 Days - 291,211 (2 days)
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep - ? (2 days)

cvxfreak

Spiegel said:
No one went to buy KH:BBS? cvxfreak? king zell?

I thought we would have some pictures/musings by now :p

Sorry, but I ain't paying $5 roundtrip for a game I have zero practical interest in. :p

I'm pretty sure it had a great start though.

Onesimos

Chris1964 said:
It went up 2 positions (Media Create)

01 / 01. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 6.810.000
02 / 02. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 899.518 / ~5.600.000
03 / 03. [NGB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - / 4.190.000
04 / 04. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - / 3.840.000
05 / 05. [SFC] Super Mario World (Nintendo) - / 3.550.000
06 / 08. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 934.739 / 2.708.492
06 / 05. [NGB] Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Nintendo) - / 2.700.000
07 / 06. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - / 2.650.000

The climb to Super Mario World is going to take some time because of the declining weekly sales of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It has the "legs" to reach it and beyond.

Thinking about NSMB Wii, where is it in the best-selling Wii games in Japan list? Is it behind Wii Sports and Wii Fit?

Aru

BlazingDarkness said:
any guesses on first day/week for BBS?

I predict 400k day one. 600k max week 1.

I'd like to know the shipment numbers though :/

Spiegel> Thanks !

EDIT:

Cross Treasures bombed hard, I didn't even notice it was released last month o_O

Basically, more than 1/3 of S-E DS games sold below 100k. :/

gerg

Aru said:
I predict 400k day one. 600k max week 1.

Wouldn't that make the game the best selling Kingdom Hearts by a large margin?

Or do you not realise that the game's "first week" will only encompass two days?

duckroll

gerg said:
Wouldn't that make the game the best selling Kingdom Hearts by a large margin?

Or do you not realise that the game's "first week" will only encompass two days?

Blahblahblahblah. BbS will do 500k like I predicted way back in Nov. :p

lalalalala.

manueldelalas said:
You are wrong here.

It's going to be released and will have two versions called:

- Microsoft Natal.
- Sony Wand gem thing.

Tha would mean that both peripherals could be considered a threat, and that's not happening, and I hardly belive they will hav any impact on the Wii sales.

gerg

Relaxed Muscle said:
Tha would mean that both peripherals could be considered a threat, and that's not happening, and I hardly belive they will hav any impact on the Wii sales.

I think you've misread the sarcasm of that post.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
bttb said:
Nintendo's next retailer meeting appears to be scheduled for next Thursday (01/14).
I wonder what they will announce. If Galaxy 2 is indeed destined for Golden Week the exact date won't be given at this meeting since i don't think Nintendo will unveil games that will launch beyond March.

For Q1 the only dated Nintendo games are:

[NDS] Last Window: Mayonaka no Yakusoku (Nintendo) - 14/01/10
[WII] Zangeki no Reginkleiv (Nintendo) - 11/02/10

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Chris1964 said:
I wonder what they will announce. If Galaxy 2 is indeed destined for Golden Week the exact date won't be given at this meeting since i don't think Nintendo will unveil games that will launch beyond March.

For Q1 the only dated Nintendo games are:

[NDS] Last Window: Mayonaka no Yakusoku (Nintendo) - 14/01/10
[WII] Zangeki no Reginkleiv (Nintendo) - 11/02/10

I'm not sure. They announced Reginleiv like over 3 months before it was releasing, so I think its possible a late March/early April SMG 2 announcement could come.

Top Bottom