• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 28, 2009-Jan 3, 2010

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Die Squirrel Die said:
I wonder if BBS will finally give SE their first PSP outright million seller?

Highly doubtful. KH does well in Japan but usually does much better in the west.

I don't see why BBS would sell less than Crisis Core or Dissidia, it's pretty much selling to those same people (maybe less of the Crisis Core and more individual KH fanbase) but i still think it'll be another massive hit for SE on the PSP
I just can't wait to see what new PSP stuff they'll reveal, to come after Agito and Parasite Eve

jesusraz

Who thinks the Wii Kirby game will magically turn into a traditional 2D adventure thanks to the massive success of NSMB Wii?

Deku

Banned
jesusraz said:
Who thinks the Wii Kirby game will magically turn into a traditional 2D adventure thanks to the massive success of NSMB Wii?

i wouldn't complain. Kirby 2-D titles were awesome.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
I'm not sure. They announced Reginleiv like over 3 months before it was releasing, so I think its possible a late March/early April SMG 2 announcement could come.
Everything is possible but right now they are heavily promoting NSMBW. I don't believe they want to announce Galaxy 2 when NSMBW is in full force.

If Galaxy 2 has a late April release date it won't be announced from now but if it has an early April release date of course this meeting can give us the exact date.

jesusraz

Deku said:
i wouldn't complain. Kirby 2-D titles were awesome.
Exactly, plus it's evident that the traditional Kirby games on DS have done far better than when HAL tries something different (á la Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush). Given how a standard 2D Mario has stirred up a storm on Wii, it would NOT be surprising in the slightest to see that GC Kirby transformed to take full advantage of this revival in the 2D platformer market.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Estpolis is going to bomb. No two ways around it. The franchise is pretty much dead, and S-E isn't doing much to give the game any needed space or extra promotional push. Last Ranker has *some* hope if Capcom actually ramps up promotion big time closer to release (which has to be many more months from now if it wants to stand a chance), but I doubt it'll do more than a little over 100k at best.
What was the point of trying to relaunch the brand if they were just going to let it bomb? I don't get any of the decisions S-E has been making with their DS software lately. Makes me wonder if they'll have anymore hits on the platform after DQVI launches...

jesusraz said:

Wasn't it always a 2D (ie sidescrolling) game?
To date there hasn't been a 3D Kirby...

jesusraz

Shiggy said:
:lol Nice.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Wasn't it always a 2D (ie sidescrolling) game?
To date there hasn't been a 3D Kirby...
Yeah, well Kirby 64 seemed like an attempt to move in that direction...obviously it was pretty much just a (so-so) 2D side-scroller at its heart. Who knows what Kirby GC was meant to be, though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Chris1964 said:
If Galaxy 2 has a late April release date it won't be announced from now but if it has an early April release date of course this meeting can give us the exact date.

I picture Galaxy getting the MK Wii spot 4/10 or so.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
jesusraz said:
Exactly, plus it's evident that the traditional Kirby games on DS have done far better than when HAL tries something different (á la Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush). Given how a standard 2D Mario has stirred up a storm on Wii, it would NOT be surprising in the slightest to see that GC Kirby transformed to take full advantage of this revival in the 2D platformer market.
I don't think it will be very different from what was shown (if it ever comes out). Besides NSMBW has taken a very important element from Kirby GC/Wii:
4 players gaming.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
I picture Galaxy getting the MK Wii spot 4/10 or so.
[WII] Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) - 19/04/07
[WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 10/04/08
[WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - 23/04/09 -> This shows how pathetic last Golden week was for Wii.

It can go either way but what looks more possible is 08/04/10 or 15/04/10.

I like how easily we already found the date of Galaxy 2:lol

schuelma

Shiggy said:
I'd say July or August, that's what some retailers were told.

That's apparently what some retailers in Europe might have been told.

I would be shocked if Galaxy 2 isn't out by April in at least Japan, especially given that the Wii Sensor stuff won't be out until Summer.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
What was the point of trying to relaunch the brand if they were just going to let it bomb? I don't get any of the decisions S-E has been making with their DS software lately. Makes me wonder if they'll have anymore hits on the platform after DQVI launches...

Seems like the same strategy Nintendo uses for core titles not internally developed. Throw lots of shit on the wall, and see what sticks, with zero commitment.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Shiggy said:
I'd say July or August, that's what some retailers were told.
Iwata said Zelda is coming out this year, probably December.
Other M is coming out this year (fall?)
Wii Relax is coming out this summer.
Galaxy 2 is supposed to be almost completed and was delayed only because of NSMBW.
Nintendo has nothing for Golden Week.

Everything leads to this: Galaxy 2 will be out this April.

Shiggy

schuelma said:
That's apparently what some retailers in Europe might have been told.

I would be shocked if Galaxy 2 isn't out by April in at least Japan, especially given that the Wii Sensor stuff won't be out until Summer.

Do you think they'll have a 3 months difference for such a major release? I don't hope this will be the case :/

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Shiggy said:
Do you think they'll have a 3 months difference for such a major release? I don't hope this will be the case :/
It won't be the first time.
Europe has Sin and Punishment 2, Endless Ocean 2 and Monster Hunter 3 as the major Nintendo titles until April.
Japan has nothing.

wrowa

Shiggy said:
My major concern is: If NoE releases SMG2 in August they definitely aren't going to release Metroid and Zelda in Q3/Q4. So something has to be pushed back...

John Dunbar

correct about everything
wrowa said:
My major concern is: If NoE releases SMG2 in August they definitely aren't going to release Metroid and Zelda in Q3/Q4. So something has to be pushed back...

If Zelda really is ready for this year, I can't imagine them ever releasing Metroid over it. Metroid just isn't suited as the big holiday game, especially if you have Zelda.

Here's what NoE will do: Metroid and Zelda delayed to 2011, Galaxy 2 as the big holiday title (harhar)

esbern

34./30. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)
24mxj5l.gif

Terrell

7Th said:
I just hope FFXIII is able to push more Japanese RPG developers into working with HD consoles.
Why, so they can develop something for 4 years, spend tons of money developing it and not get a full return on investment?

... yeah, sorry, no.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Seems like the same strategy Nintendo uses for core titles not internally developed. Throw lots of shit on the wall, and see what sticks, with zero commitment.
I always thought it made little sense for Nintendo, but at least they're the platform holder.

ethelred said:
Oh well, I guess Level 5 can capitalize on that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jj984jj said:
B0014BDUBU.01._SX520_SCLZZZZZZZ_V204910799_.jpg

Chris1964 said:
Iwata said Zelda is coming out this year, probably December.
Other M is coming out this year (fall?)
Wii Relax is coming out this summer.
Galaxy 2 is supposed to be almost completed and was delayed only because of NSMBW.
Nintendo has nothing for Golden Week.

Everything leads to this: Galaxy 2 will be out this April.

yes, i agree with you
and i'm worried Metroid M will be released in a "weak month" (in term of sales, for example february and october), also considering how low are Metroid sales in Japan

but... just a question...

Golden Week : Galaxy 2
Summer 2010 : Wii Relax
Winter 2010 : new Zelda

where the hell is Pikmin 3 ?????????

cvxfreak

Did a store run today.

Birth by Sleep was sold out at Yodobashi, but not Bic. Moving briskly and I expect a good opening.

Bayonetta (PS3) and Spirit Tracks have temporarily entered the bomba bin. Y3980 and Y2980 respectively. Taiko Wii 2 is at a bit of a discount at Y5980.

duckroll

Sounds like Spirit Tracks isn't doing too hot. I don't think it'll be able to catch up with Phantom Hourglass' 900k LTD at this rate.

cvxfreak

2w7qqsj.jpg

NSMB Wii - 1 Per Person Limit at Yodobashi

10folfl.jpg

BbS PSP bundle sold out at Yodobashi

zldmbl.jpg

Wiimotes - 2 Per Person Limit at Yodobashi

xor40l.jpg

Bayonetta price drop at Bic

rk6l9i.jpg

Spirit Tracks bomba at Bic

ksamedi

Moor-Angol said:
Bayonetta sold almost 200k on PS3, how it could be called bomba after 3 months on the market ?

I think it did pretty good for a new IP. Bomba would definitely be an overstatement. I think a sequel is pretty much set at this point.

duckroll

When absolute retailer stock is higher than absolute retail demand, it will result in retailers having to clear excess stock, and put things in the "bomba bin".

One would think that by now the long time MC-threaders would know that "bomba bin" is not a value determination, just shorthand for the clearance bin at the stores. Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 was in the bomba bins too, but it's not a bomba.

duckroll said:
When absolute retailer stock is higher than absolute retail demand, it will result in retailers having to clear excess stock, and put things in the "bomba bin".

so i presume Monster Hunter 3 is a bomba, it's sold at 1980yen (standard version) and 3980yen (Classic Controller Pro)... same for Animal Crossing Wii, 1980yen iirc (cvxfreak help me pls)

schuelma

Moor-Angol said:
so i presume Monster Hunter 3 is a bomba, it's sold at 1980yen (standard version) and 3980yen (Classic Controller Pro)... same for Animal Crossing Wii, 1980yen iirc (cvxfreak help me pls)

Again, there is a very clear distinction between people seriously calling something a bomba and observers noting that a game has entered the "bomba bin".

Spiegel

Thanks for the pictures, cvxfreak

cvxfreak said:
Taiko Wii 2 is at a bit of a discount at Y5980.

The stand-alone version had a 40+% discount in amazon during the holidays (35% off now). Was this true for other stores?

AniHawk

People are talking about NSMBW being a revival of 2D gaming... Shouldn't that mean there would be a lot of other 2D games doing well too? Most of the retail games bombed on the system. The only iffy one (and it's really stretching to call it iffy) is Muramasa, which still is below 100k WW or just barely there.

schuelma

AniHawk said:
People are talking about NSMBW being a revival of 2D gaming... Shouldn't that mean there would be a lot of other 2D games doing well too? Most of the retail games bombed on the system. The only iffy one (and it's really stretching to call it iffy) is Muramasa, which still is below 100k WW or just barely there.

Not that this makes it a success, but Wario Land Shake did > 100K in Japan.

AniHawk said:
surely muramasa must be over 100k ww by now? Which reminds me i still need to go buy it when my wii's been fixed

Brofist

AniHawk said:

People thinking NSMB is the start of some 2D platformer revival are going to be sorely disappointed. Not that I'd mind one myself, just saying.

AniHawk said:

Kirby sells great, better than Metroid for example.
how much did Superstar Ultra sells in NA?
Though Wario Land Shake didn't do too good (outsold by the mediocre Master of Disguise), still don't know why really.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
AniHawk said:

Well, I can't think of many platformers that were actually just as arcadey as the platformers of the 8/16-bit era, or if they were, it's no surprise that they bombed. You've got Klonoa for instance: I loved Klonoa back in the day, but it never was that popular in the first place. A mere remake was doomed from the beginning. Same for A Boy and his Blob. Was that ever successful? Then you've got Mega Man 9. As a downloadable game, it's hard to get sales numbers, but that alone ensures that it can't sell beyond a certain threshold (it's not like digital releases sell as well as retail products on consoles). And while it does a fairly good job at being a classic follow-up to the original series, it didn't get the royal treatment that NSMB Wii got.

In short, the few platformers that I can think of were doomed to be duds from the beginning, and/or they weren't treated as "serious" games worthy of a retail release and a good development budget. NSMB Wii has been the first "platformers are real games too"-platformer in a verrrry long time. The rest were niche, or treated as side-projects. Well, I guess Wario Land Shake qualifies as a fairly serious project too, but there you have it.

I can't see publishers starting to treat platformers as a worthy genre again. It's just not prestigious enough. With that said, some could surprise us in light of NSMB Wii's success on a home console (not Sonic though, ha!). I could use more multiplayer platformers.

[EDIT] Oh, forgot something. When I say recent platformers fail to recreate the arcade experience of the 8 bit days, I'm talking about games like NyxQuest, LostWinds, Tower of Shadow, etc. I'm not even saying they are bad games (TS hasn't come out yet for once, and I know you love NQ), just that they don't have the same qualities as the platformers of the old days. They just feel like a different flavour of platforming, and maybe this flavour doesn't resonate with many people. Today's 2D platformers have this emptiness/slowness syndrome, with a bit of puzzle and exploration in some cases. There's just no comparing Mario, Mega Man, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, Aladdin (SNES and Megadrive) to NyxQuest. I don't know why developers are afraid to retread the classic platformer formula. They don't have to keep it ultra super oldschool (a modern day Mega Man could be interesting), but they seem to throw away all the action, all the pure platforming challenge that makes platformers a great genre on favour of artsy/zen-like qualities. In other words, style over substance, ambiance over action. The only platformer that really succeeds in that area to me is Knytt.

wrowa

AniHawk said:
The success of NSMBW shows that their is still a potentially huge market for classic platformer on consoles. 2D games can be successful and the casual market seems to love them quite a bit.

There are two problems that will prevent a 2D revival from happening though.
1) If you want to gather the attention of the casual crowd, you need a lot of marketing or otherwise they won't notice your game. In other words: you have to spent a lot of money.
2) NSMB is Mario. Everyone knows that it wouldn't sell nearly as well without Mario. But how much can a platformer sell nowadays without Mario but with effective marketing? We don't know. Therefore it's risky to spent much money to advertise it. But if you don't market it, you won't get the attention of the casuals.

It's kind of a vicious circle.

Top Bottom