• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: October 25-31

Osuwari

so, Nintendo's 2-month-between-announcement-and-release thingy claimed another victim?

what are the odds of the game being saved by legs? from the looks of it, GS2 had bad legs.

Spiegel

Osuwari said:
so, Nintendo's 2-month-between-announcement-and-release thingy claimed another victim?

what are the odds of the game being saved by legs? from the looks of it, GS2 had bad legs.

What?

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was announced at E3 2009

test_account

XP-39C²
Chris1964 said:
It is impossible to know for sure if Move also contributed to this week's PS3 bump. But i agree that it is more likely because of the Winning Eleven bundle indeed :)

EDIT: I fixed a typo.

Osuwari

Spiegel said:
What?

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was announced at E3 2009

hm i didn't know. it looked like anything about it started being said recently.

then, Nintendo's bad hype and advertising machine is at work.

Move seems like it bombed pretty bad in Japan, SCE is partly at fault with that crappy line up. CH hasn't done anything since MNT PSP, it's time they get working on MNG6/MNT2 with Move support. Maybe even a new Minna game, like the Minna mini games they had for PSP but for PS3 with Move, or a Minna No Baseball game, that could do well.

I am now a believer that PSP Go will sell out of its initial shipment, I don't think retailers will order them anymore though.

Tenbatsu

cvxfreak said:
Promotion's just begun:

10zxm46.jpg
Red Wii looks like a toy, the silver stand just doesn't match.

mehdi_san

It is really too bad for the Move in Japan, they even had the lowest prices compared to Europe and the US. But the line-up should be blamed. The new Ape Escape wasn't even available at launch, even though it seems pretty shitty from the demo...
Glad to see the bump in PSP go sales :p

duckroll

We've had pretty poor starts for KH Re:Coded, Golden Sun, and Solatorobo so far. The next core RPG on the DS is Ninokuni, and preorders/awareness seem to be pretty low for it as well. Has the core RPG audience mostly moved on from the DS? It's very possible.

Don't like praising Namdai, but I have to be honest and say they certainly did well cloning MH with God Eater. Will be interesting if a tracker shares the ratio between expansions only (2100Y) and full game plus expansion (5229Y). Now I wonder if they will be building it up for a proper God Eater 2 or if they will wait for a new platform.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Don't like praising Namdai, but I have to be honest and say they certainly did well cloning MH with God Eater. Will be interesting if a tracker shares the ratio between expansions only (2100Y) and full game plus expansion (5229Y). Now I wonder if they will be building it up for a proper God Eater 2 or if they will wait for a new platform.

With Lord of Arcana out of the way as a non-contender, we now see that the God Eater expansion still has an audience even just a month before MHP3. Now the big question is whether there will be an audience for PSP2i post-MHP3. It'll be interesting to see how much difference it makes releasing a MH clone-like title before and after an actual MHP release.

Spiegel

God Eater PS3 has been rumored in the last months. Some guy on 2ch typed a list of unannounced PS3 games and most of them have been later confirmed.

We've had pretty poor starts for KH Re:Coded, Golden Sun, and Solatorobo so far. The next core RPG on the DS is Ninokuni, and preorders/awareness seem to be pretty low for it as well. Has the core RPG audience mostly moved on from the DS? It's very possible.

Technically, the next core RPG and bomba-guaranteed is Radiant Historia.

duckroll

Spiegel said:
Technically, the next core RPG and bomba-guaranteed is Radiant Historia.

Oh, yeah okay I forgot about that completely. We'll see if it really "bombs" though. If it opens with 50-60k, it's already on par with the normal niche opening. It would have to do as poorly as Solatorobo to be considered underperforming...

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
didnt dqmj2 and pokemon sell pretty decently though ?

dolemite

The Abominable Snowman said:
Has anyone beat My Wife yet?

Seems like My Wife was sent to die.

*Insert other REALLY BAD pun*
I saw a line of otakus at one of the local shops. They all wanted to get their hands on My Wife.

duckroll

farnham said:
didnt dqmj2 and pokemon sell pretty decently though ?

So did Inazuma Eleven 3. But think about what those games all have in common? They are all sequels to established million sellers with heavy social elements (there is robust multiplayer, official tournaments) which are very popular with the younger audiences.

Sure, there are excuses we can make for every title:

- KH Re:Coded is a sign that KH is being milked a bit too heavily, and many fans in Japan already played Coded on their phones

- Golden Sun was a strong IP in GBA days but Nintendo waited too low and didn't have good marketing

- Solatorobo was doomed from the start, no one cared about Tail Concerto then, and no one cares about Solatorobo now

Even in the future, there are excuses we can make:

- Radiant Historia looked like shit, not surprising no one bought it

- Ninokuni is a new IP coming out in the busy December period, and it is expensive and comes with a heavy book you have to carry around to play

And so on.

Could it be solely a result of titles not attracting the audience? Absolutely. But if it becomes a trend leading up to the 3DS release, could it also indicate that the core RPG audience who generally prefer to have better visuals if possible are finally moving on from the DS hardware? I definitely think so.

duckroll said:
With Lord of Arcana out of the way as a non-contender, we now see that the God Eater expansion still has an audience even just a month before MHP3. Now the big question is whether there will be an audience for PSP2i post-MHP3. It'll be interesting to see how much difference it makes releasing a MH clone-like title before and after an actual MHP release.
PSP2i being just a day before 3DS too, not the best date if you want total exposure. Namdai handled release date better me thinks.

EDIT: Thinking about it, its really crowded January & February already...do you have a list of kinda-big ones Chris?

Laguna

Banned
duckroll said:
Has the core RPG audience mostly moved on from the DS?

Where do you guess they moved on to? WKS2 did worse than its predecessor on PS3 and Last Ranker on PSP did the same as GS3.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Last update I did to upcoming games was yesterday. There are more games, these are with releases date.

06/01/11
[NDS] SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha - Shadow or Light (Square Enix)

13/01/11
[PS3] Arcana Heart 3 (Arc System Works)
[PSP] Another Century's Episode Portable (Bandai Namco)
[PSP] Nicoli no Sudoku +3 Dai-Ni-Shuu: Sudoku Kakuro Bijutsukan Hitori ni Shitekure (Hamster)
[360] Mass Effect 2 (Microsoft Game Studios)
[360] Arcana Heart 3 (Arc System Works)

20/01/11
[NDS] Monster Busters: Powered (Bandai Namco)
[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Final Mix (Square Enix)
[PSP] Venus & Braves: Majo no Megami to Horobi no Yogen (Bandai Namco)
[PS3] Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (Bandai Namco)
[360] Gal Gun (Alchemist)
[360] Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (Bandai Namco)

27/01/11
[NDS] Sora no Otoshimono Forte: Dreamy Season (Kadokawa Shoten)
[PSP] Valkyria Chronicles 3 (Sega)
[PSP] Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii wake ga Nai Portable (Bandai Namco)
[PSP] Dear Drops Distortion (CyberFront)
[PSP] Toaru Majutsu no Index (ASCII Media Works)
[PSP] Toaru Majutsu no Kinsho Mokuroku (ASCII Media Works)
[PSP] Tsuku Monogatari (FuRyu)
[WII] The Last Story (Nintendo)
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends (Koei Tecmo)
[PS3] Samurai Warriors 3 Z (Koei Tecmo)
[PS3] The Shoot (SCE)
[PS3] Dragon Age: Origins (Spike)
[360] Dragon Age: Origins (Spike)

03/02/11
[NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 (Capcom)
[PSP] Atelier Violet: The Alchemist of Guramnat 2 - Deep Blue Memories (Gust)

10/02/11
[PSP] Half-Minute Hero Second (Marvelous Entertainment)
[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Sweet Serenade (Broccoli)

17/02/11
[PS3] Catherine (Atlus Co.)
[360] Catherine (Atlus Co.)

24/02/11 (26/02/11 - 3DS)
[3DS] Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo)
[3DS] Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo)
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo)
[3DS] Steel Diver (Nintendo)
[3DS] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom)
[3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level 5)
[3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Koei Tecmo)
[3DS] Pro Baseball Spirits 3D (Konami)
[3DS] Ridge Racer 3D (Bandai Namco)
[3DS] Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega)
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity (Sega)
[PSP] Suzumiya Haruhi-Chan no Mahjong (Kadokawa Shoten)
[PSP] Black Robina (Broccoli)
[WII] Rune Factory: Oceans (Marvelous Entertainment)
[PS3] Disgaea 4 (Nippon Ichi Software)
[PS3] Rune Factory: Oceans (Marvelous Entertainment)
[PS3] Love Once: Mermaid's Tears (Maid Meets Cat)

Spiegel said:
God Eater PS3 has been rumored in the last months. Some guy on 2ch typed a list of unannounced PS3 games and most of them have been later confirmed

I would be curious to see that list with the date that it was posted if you have it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
dolemite said:
I saw a line of otakus at one of the local shops. They all wanted to get their hands on My Wife.
I wish My Wife came with a translation patch.

I think Ninokuni is going to do better on PS3 .
The DS just has so many great games , Ninokuni is new IP , expensive , coming in the December .
I did not even know you need to carry around a book to play it , i only care about the ps3 version.
Having to carry around a book to play a portable game make no sense to me.

duckroll

Laguna said:
Where do you guess they moved on to? WKS2 did worse than its predecessor on PS3 and Last Ranker on PSP did the same as GS3.

WKC2 actually didn't do much worse than WKC at all. That was surprising, since WKC had really poor critical reception. Last Ranker also outsold Golden Sun, which honestly is very surprising since Image Epoch has never had a game which sold more than 150k, while Golden Sun is a series which used to sell 250-300k+.

I don't think the core RPG audience has to actually "move" anywhere to have moved on from the DS btw. If they lose interest in certain types of release they can just stop buying titles entirely until there is something which they are interested in. The same can be said when certain franchises decline significantly. Resident Evil used to sell millions in Japan, now it has to be content with 500k for a major new title. Where did the audience go? RE is still the best selling zombie action in Japan, but much of their original audience has moved on. They clearly didn't move on to other franchises, because nothing is selling millions anymore either.

My point is that even DS RPG software which used to be the safest this generation (in the genre), is starting to struggle. Another interesting test would be to see if there is a major decline in sales for SRW L, that's later this month too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
test_account said:
It is impossible to know for sure if Move also contributed to this week's PS3 bump. But i agree that it is more likely because of the Winning Eleven bundle indeed :)
It's not so impossible to know. Move didn't move PS3 units last week and the yearly Winning Eleven bundle always gives a bump.

50.564 -> WE2008

34.978 -> WE2009

48.925 -> WE2010

28.255 -> WE2011

sundrenched

Neo Member
Poor poor Solatorobo, guess cyberconnect is gonna continue making naruto games forever... Didn't Namco Bandai want to break the world record for most advertisments or something? Pretty sad if that still didn't sell

not too worried about GS3 as marketing and hype seems strong in the west

Takao

Banned
If Raging Blast 2 does not do well, Scamco should stop releasing DragonBall games for a while. Go back to Dimps next year for a Burst Limit 2, and allow Spike to come back a few years from now.

Laguna

Banned
duckroll said:
WKC2 actually didn't do much worse than WKC at all. That was surprising, since WKC had really poor critical reception. Last Ranker also outsold Golden Sun, which honestly is very surprising since Image Epoch has never had a game which sold more than 150k, while Golden Sun is a series which used to sell 250-300k+.

I don't think the core RPG audience has to actually "move" anywhere to have moved on from the DS btw. If they lose interest in certain types of release they can just stop buying titles entirely until there is something which they are interested in. The same can be said when certain franchises decline significantly. Resident Evil used to sell millions in Japan, now it has to be content with 500k for a major new title. Where did the audience go? RE is still the best selling zombie action in Japan, but much of their original audience has moved on. They clearly didn't move on to other franchises, because nothing is selling millions anymore either.

My point is that even DS RPG software which used to be the safest this generation (in the genre), is starting to struggle. Another interesting test would be to see if there is a major decline in sales for SRW L, that's later this month too.

Last Ranker did pretty much the same first week as Golden Sun 3 a difference of a few thousand units won´t change it´s lackluster sales. It´s also a bit strange that you wanted to make fun of people making "excuses" for certain games and the next post you excuse WKC2s sales. You obviously are just looking at the bad examples and totally neglecting this years successes, be it DQ6 or DQJM2 both as you know millionsellers or Inazuma3 and the recent Pokemon that is still selling a considerable amount. This year no comparable game on other platforms come even close to these titles. But yeah we know, the doom and gloom talk must go on I know. Based on what?, yeah on some niche games with little to no marketing and spinoffs. For me Coded is to KH what Lord of Arcana is to MH.

When you say they "moved on from the DS" what exactly do you base your assumption on? And where did they moved on to?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Laguna said:
When you say they "moved on from the DS" what exactly do you base your assumption on? And where did they moved on to?

Not to actually take part in the argument, but his post literally says "I don't think the core RPG audience has to actually "move" anywhere to have moved on from the DS btw"... in fact, the bulk of what you quoted was him discussing how they could have moved on from DS RPGs without moving anywhere...

Spiegel

AranhaHunter said:
I would be curious to see that list with the date that it was posted if you have it.

distantmantra said:
What else was on the list?

Galvanise_ said:
Seconded.

I don't remeber the exact list and I don't think I can find the post but there was nothing big or shocking.

The games I remeber were Disaster Report 4, Gundam Musou 3 and God Eater PS3 but there were other two or so unannounced games at that time that were later confirmed.

Laguna

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Not to actually take part in the argument, but his post literally says "I don't think the core RPG audience has to actually "move" anywhere to have moved on from the DS btw"... in fact, the bulk of what you quoted was him discussing how they could have moved on from DS RPGs without moving anywhere...

"core" RPG users actually implies gamers that actively play RPG games. And when you say they already moved on from the DS the question -where?- is more than legitimate. And what happened with the 4 million people who bought Pkm the past month? But we know some people don´t see the forest due to all the trees.

Niche games with no big fanbase and little marketing like Radiant Historia will sell appropriate numbers.

duckroll

Laguna said:
"core" RPG users actually implies gamers that actively play RPG games. And when you say they already moved on from the DS the question -where?- is more than legitimate. And what happened with the 4 million people who bought Pkm the past month? But we know some people don´t see the forest due to all the trees.

Niche games with no big fanbase and little marketing like Radiant Historia will sell appropriate numbers.

Obviously you are trying to discuss something completely different. So I don't think there is a need to entertain you any further. If you are not interested in discussing what I am talking about, then replying to my posts is a waste of your time as well as mine.

Laguna

Banned
To me it´s just a strange assumption to make in a week in which 3 DS RPGs are in the Top10 and in a period/month in which more than 4mio. DS RPGs were sold, and in a year in which we saw 3-4 DS RPGs selling more than a million. Next year is a whole different story but that has more to do with developers support and 3DS than anything else.

Chris1964 said:
Last update I did to upcoming games was yesterday. There are more games, these are with releases date.
Nice, thanks. Both ending-month weeks are madness, btw 4 other notable releases: 1/20 KH BBS Final Mix and Venus & Braves, 1/27 Kenka Banchou 5 and Amagami.

And we'll see about those without exact date like Donkey Kong...could be a bloodbath.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Nice, thanks. Both ending-month weeks are madness, btw 4 other notable releases: 1/20 KH BBS Final Mix and Venus & Braves, 1/27 Kenka Banchou 5 and Amagami.

And we'll see about those without exact date like Donkey Kong...could be a bloodbath.
Somehow I skipped that week. Half-Minute Hero Second is also dated for February.

Donkey Kong is heading for 2011, that's what I believe.

Oxx

Is it the RPG audience 'moving on' or just the overall DS market declining?

How's total DS software trending YOY?

Pureauthor said:
To put into perspective, Etrian Odyssey 3, AKA niche dungeon crawler series by niche jRPG publisher, managed 88K in it's first week.

Dark Dawn bomba total.
FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU- Damn it Nintendo, you should have waited and made it a 3DS project. :(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Teetris said:
Bit off topic, but is there an implication of how limited the red wii/ds is?
There is no official information but it looks possible that Nintendo will keep printing them until Mario 25th Anniversary ends (January 14, 2011).

Top Bottom