• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: September 27-October 3

ccbfan

ntropy said:
not before DQX.

Have there been a game announced this long ago that we've still don't know anything about.

I mean yeah FFXIII games have all had ridiculesly long development time but at least we've seen pictures, art, random facts about the game.

DQX? Nothing.

No short plot description
No characters shown
No battle system shown
No pics
No art

Pikmin 3 might be the only thing comparable. When was that announced?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't know if anyone cares but last week Tecmo released a sci-fi third-person shooter that isn't a Gears Of War clone but instead a a third-person shooter that only Tecmo can make. And as you can see it topped the charts.

GCX

ccbfan said:
It's never been officially announced. Miyamoto just says "uh yeah we're sorta developing it don't worry people!" once a year at E3.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
GCX said:
It's never been officially announced. Miyamoto just says "uh yeah we're sorta developing it don't worry people!" once a year at E3.
Since I like to play with dates Pikmin's 10th year anniversary is October 26, 2011.

[Nintex] said:
Confession Time: Metroid: Other M did jack shit for Wii sales.
You expected it to do something?

GCX said:
Isn't it similiar to Kirby? Never officially announced and just sort of there every year until it appears out of nowhere?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
We must give some credit to azalyn for the amazing work he does. His initial shipments and first week sales expectations are almost always correct.
FINALFANTASYDOG at 02/10/10 said:
Azylan Sales expectations:

K-On! After School Live!! - 150k 60% sell-through
Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no - 60% sell-through 80-100k
Dead Rising 2 60-70% sell through. 120-150k(X-box 360 30-40% of that)
Okamiden 50% sell-through 70-90K

Takao

Banned
Chris1964 said:
It looks trying to ''clone'' Monster Hunter at different genres doesn't work well.

Eh, it has little to do with Monster Hunter. It's a portable version of the Budokai Tenkaichi/Raging Blast console arena fighters (think Toshinden) developed by Spike, with 2 vs. 2 added in. I expected TTT to do well, as the console games in that genre did well (Budokai Tenkaichi more so than Raging Blast), it being the only DBZ fighter on the PSP in that genre (the others you mentioned are fighters on a fixed plane like Street Fighter or something) and the last 2 vs. 2 DBZ fighter did really well too, although that one was a launch title for the DS. So I'm a bit miffed about that. I guess Scamco really has run the franchise into the ground.

donny2112

Tmac said:
Wii desapearing... Price drop incomming?

The price drop last year was 18 months too late and 5K Yen too little. Maybe dropping the price by the correct amount of 10K Yen now would make a difference, but Nintendo's not that gutsy. Crazy.

Okamiden! Yay!

It seems to me that the profile the first game had grew with word of mouth. Unfortunately, this happened well after the original had already released.

Pokemon is a
pocket
monster.

BishopLamont said:
Isn't it similiar to Kirby? Never officially announced and just sort of there every year until it appears out of nowhere?

Literally - the game that is now Kirby's Epic Yarn was originally an original title by GoodFeel called "Fluff's Epic Yarn", and it was only at Nintendo's insistence that Kirby was put in and it became their new Kirby title. I suspect this happens a lot with games developed by Nintendo partners/subsidiaries, and it would certainly explain why games featuring relatively major characters seem to come out of nowhere...

Oxx

Cosmonaut X said:
Literally - the game that is now Kirby's Epic Yarn was originally an original title by GoodFeel called "Fluff's Epic Yarn", and it was only at Nintendo's insistence that Kirby was put in and it became their new Kirby title. I suspect this happens a lot with games developed by Nintendo partners/subsidiaries, and it would certainly explain why games featuring relatively major characters seem to come out of nowhere...

But what happened to the 'Kirby Wii' that was on every Nintendo release schedule for the last 4 years? Did it ever exist? Was the concept turned into that new Kirby DS game?

gerg

Oxx said:
But what happened to the 'Kirby Wii' that was on every Nintendo release schedule for the last 4 years? Did it ever exist? Was the concept turned into that new Kirby DS game?

Oh, it must have existed at one point. I guess it's just stuck in development hell.

It wouldn't surprise me if it appeared some point down the line, such as on the Wii 2. Heck, Steel Diver is being released most probably as a 3DS launch title, and that was originally shown back for the DS over five years ago.

gerg said:
Oh, it must have existed at one point. I guess it's just stuck in development hell.

It wouldn't surprise me if it appeared some point down the line, such as on the Wii 2. Heck, Steel Diver is being released most probably as a 3DS launch title, and that was originally shown back for the DS over five years ago.

Indeed. There was a quote from Miyamoto that I saw recently about setting aside a drawer for ideas that don't work, and sticking them in there along with a note explaining why they don't work. Revisit the drawer a few years down the line to see if the problems you had then can be solved now and what was a bad idea could become a great one, just with the passage of time and technology.

Perhaps Kirby Wii was just a concept that didn't work, and someone at Nintendo will pull it out of the drawer in a few years time.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With one week behind for Famitsu (through 26/09/10) B/W is already the 10th top seller for DS.

01 [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 865.024 / 5.907.304
02 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 1.586.360 / 5.767.283
03 [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 335.425 / 5.134.724
04 [NDS] More Brain Training (Nintendo) - 416.124 / 5.050.713
05 [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix) - 2.343.440 / 4.152.985
06 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 1.408.980 / 3.872.679
07 [NDS] Brain Training (Nintendo) - 44.166 / 3.821.387
08 [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 224.411 / 3.636.284
09 [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 100.371 / 3.431.532
10 [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 2.637.285 / 3.409.457

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Road said:
EDIT: Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G also crossed 4 million the previous week, according to Famitsu: 4,002,509.
[PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (Capcom) - 823.265 / 2.453.132
[PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite [PSP the Best] (Capcom) - 19.829 / 1.111.876
[PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite [PSP the Best Reprint] (Capcom) - 30.266 / 437.501

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Cosmonaut X said:
Ha! Finally made it. Highest-selling Japanese Wii title to date, isn't it?
NSMBW has been the highest-selling Japanese Wii title to date some time ago. It's the first console game to sell 4 million since the original Super Mario Bros.

cvxfreak

If MHP3 weren't coming out in December, then MHP2G may very well have become the best selling third party game ever. It is if you count the original MHP2.

Chris1964 said:
NSMBW has been the highest-selling Japanese Wii title to date some time ago. It's the first console game to sell 4 million since the original Super Mario Bros.

Thought it was, but couldn't remember the exact figures for Wii Sports etc.

ccbfan said:
Have there been a game announced this long ago that we've still don't know anything about.

I mean yeah FFXIII games have all had ridiculesly long development time but at least we've seen pictures, art, random facts about the game.

DQX? Nothing.

No short plot description
No characters shown
No battle system shown
No pics
No art

Didn't the same thing happen with DQIX? I remember people were even talking about development being moved to PSP and stuff and then we had a big blowout on the DS and then it launched like 6 months after that.

AranhaHunter said:
Didn't the same thing happen with DQIX? I remember people were even talking about development being moved to PSP and stuff and then we had a big blowout on the DS and then it launched like 6 months after that.

We had artwork of characters and dungeons and we learnt about the visible equipment from the day it was announced though. Yeah, there was a dearth of info for a while, but there was always a base amount of stuff.

JGS

Banned
Sorry, haven't been to gaming side in some time, but the chart was interesting.

Is PS3 just playing catch-up right now as a console or are people buying it as Blu-Ray player in Japan?

Spiegel

AranhaHunter said:

They shared screens and a video they day when DQIX was announced in Dec '06

Road

JGS said:
Sorry, haven't been to gaming side in some time, but the chart was interesting.

Is PS3 just playing catch-up right now as a console or are people buying it as Blu-Ray player in Japan?
PS3 is not dying a horrible death while entering its 5th year like most of the non-lead consoles.

You made me notice it has recently passed N64 sales in Japan -- 5.54 million (Nintendo shipment information).

sphinx

the piano man
Road said:
PS3 is not dying a horrible death while entering its 5th year like most of the non-lead consoles.

You made me notice it has recently passed N64 sales in Japan -- 5.54 million (Nintendo shipment information).

isn't it performing like... a lead console in its 5th year? I wonder if the PS2 was doing this, better or worse in 2006.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sphinx said:
isn't it performing like... a lead console in its 5th year? I wonder if the PS2 was doing this, better or worse in 2006.
If lead consoles entering the 5th year were performing like PS3, Japan would be dead long time ago. PS2 was entering the 6th year in 2006.

cvxfreak

Road said:

You have to have been in Japan to truly understand just how Sony held nothing back in trying to revive the PS3. There was a time when it was a truly irrelevant system in terms of both hardware and software. Its retail presence and allure paled in comparison to the Wii and DS, which were both at the height of their popularity. The interest just wasn't there for a long time.

Then you have Sony redesigning the system, launching new colors, grabbing third party exclusives, dropping the price, introducing new SKUs, copying the Wiimote and even adopting a new logo all in a desperate, but very well-played attempt to get themselves back to a respectable position. The transformation was truly remarkable. Even the PSP's revival wasn't anywhere near as grand, since it was hardly ever a dead system.

Japan's become a lot less one-sided when it comes to their company preferences. Nintendo will always have its place with Japanese consumers, but so will Sony. I don't think it'll ever be possible for either company to completely dominate this country's game industry. Neither have the spread of appeal nor the resources (such as game franchises) to do so.

Busaiku

sphinx said:
2006 was PS2's seventh year, and it was certainly doing better.

d+pad

A ha! According to andriasang.com, NOJ is going to release a red Super Mario Anniversary Wii system on Nov. 11. It'll come with a red Wiimote Plus (or whatever they're called) and a special version of SMB.

They're also releasing (on Nov. 11) a new Wii Sports Resort bundle (the game + a blue Wiimote Plus) and two SE, Pokemon Black/White branded DSis.

It'll be interesting to see how much the SE Wii system + Super Mario Collection Special Pack + Kirby's Epic Yarn help Wii sales at the end of the year.

cvxfreak said:
You have to have been in Japan to truly understand just how Sony held nothing back in trying to revive the PS3. There was a time when it was a truly irrelevant system in terms of both hardware and software. Its retail presence and allure paled in comparison to the Wii and DS, which were both at the height of their popularity. The interest just wasn't there for a long time.

Then you have Sony redesigning the system, launching new colors, grabbing third party exclusives, dropping the price, introducing new SKUs, copying the Wiimote and even adopting a new logo all in a desperate, but very well-played attempt to get themselves back to a respectable position. The transformation was truly remarkable. Even the PSP's revival wasn't anywhere near as grand, since it was hardly ever a dead system.

Japan's become a lot less one-sided when it comes to their company preferences. Nintendo will always have its place with Japanese consumers, but so will Sony. I don't think it'll ever be possible for either company to completely dominate this country's game industry. Neither have the spread of appeal nor the resources (such as game franchises) to do so.

You shouldn't put the Move there on the PS3 revival considering the device is not even out yet in Japan....Also, I don't think Sony can completely dominate in Japan, but I definitely think Nintendo is in a position to do so. They have great, system selling, 1st party games, and if they can improve and persuade 3rd parties, then they might be able to pull it off. Sony does not have any major IPs in Japan outside of Gran Turismo and Minna No games.

That actually might be happening with the 3DS, Nintendo seems to have gotten all the major Japanese developers and franchises on their system. If they were able to secure exclusivity for those franchises, then there's little incentive for Japanese people to get a possible PSP2. It would be ironic if Sony secured big western franchises and the PSP2 did great in the west but bombed in Japan.

cvxfreak

AranhaHunter said:
You shouldn't put the Move there on the PS3 revival considering the device is not even out yet in Japan....Also, I don't think Sony can completely dominate in Japan, but I definitely think Nintendo is in a position to do so. They have great, system selling, 1st party games, and if they can improve and persuade 3rd parties, then they might be able to pull it off. Sony does not have any major IPs in Japan outside of Gran Turismo and Minna No games.

That actually might be happening with the 3DS, Nintendo seems to have gotten all the major Japanese developers and franchises on their system. If they were able to secure exclusivity for those franchises, then there's little incentive for Japanese people to get a possible PSP2. It would be ironic if Sony secured big western franchises and the PSP2 did great in the west but bombed in Japan.

The Move was announced over a year ago at TGS 2009, shortly after the slim was released, so I felt compelled to include it in there, even if its effect is only beginning to take place (i.e. Biohazard 5 Alternative Edition's return to the charts recently). TGS is a public event, so that was certainly the beginning of that particular push.

The only issue with Nintendo now is whether they're finally willing to take a page from what made Sony so successful. They might have an opportunity to dominate the portable market, especially if Monster Hunter goes 3DS, but they don't seem to have the same charisma on the console front. Knowing Nintendo, I have my doubts, and they won't have the same advantage they had with the Wii when the next console generation begins.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Is there any information if the new Pokemon DSi bundles will be limited or not so limited edition? If it's the second we could some big Pokemon and DS numbers this December.

duckroll

Chris1964 said:
Is there any information if the new Pokemon DSi bundles will be limited or not so limited edition? If it's the second we could some big Pokemon and DS numbers this December.

Sounds to me from the original report on 2ch that it will be not so limited. It sounds like a major second wave retail push, as opposed to some limited edition thing. We won't know for sure until there's a press release of some sort though.

d+pad

Duckroll, cvxfreak, etc.: Is there any indication at this point that this red Wii system will be some sort of limited edition/release?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
d+pad said:
Duckroll, cvxfreak, etc.: Is there any indication at this point that this red Wii system will be some sort of limited edition/release?
It doesn't say anywhere it is a limited edition. Maybe Nintendo will remove Super Mario Bros. at some point but the color will possibly remain.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't know if this is posted but the third version of Inazuma Eleven 3, Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! Ogre is coming out at December 16, one week before the movie.

Kenka

Chris, is there a way we can have the top 10 best sellers for each system in Japan ?

Well, not counting stuff like Game Gear, MSX and on.

Top Bottom