• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2013 (Dec 31 - Jan 06)

DGRE

Banned
This week historically sees increases. Vita at its higher pricepoint is probably a bit more attractive when people are handed "free" money for the New Year, while the 3DS is the kind of thing you could realistically talk your parents into getting you as a birthday present, Christmas present, etc.

Sadist

I think quite a few of us are kinda in Takao (or BurntPork) mode right now. It's hard to ignore that Nintendo fucked up on almost all levels with Wii U.
No one, and I mean no one in this thread can match the insanity that is Burntpork.

Which is a good thing btw.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Still think it's hilarious the hate the WII U is getting, it's selling well and they still try to spin the numbers as been bad.

Numbers will probably fall to 30-35k next week. That wouldn't be Vita bad, but it would certainly not be healthy.

3DS

The numbers are "okay" to this point, the problem is what's around the corner. Decline is coming fast, and Nintendo doesn't appear to be doing anything to alleviate that.

They revealed Pokemon! Oh wait...

Nintendo is not afraid to show or reveal titles over 6 months out.

This adherence to focusing on the launch "window" games to avoid the 3DS problem is going to cost them customer enthusiasm and ultimately sales.

vareon

Vita won't go back to its <10k levels, I think.

I don't know what else could be done with Wii U besides announcing games, but it still takes too long.

Vita won't go back to its <10k levels, I think.

I don't know what else could be done with Wii U besides announcing games, but it still takes too long.

Yeah, 6k level is more likely.
People should realize that Vita got an (unexpected) holiday bump. It's still selling like shit, and its future is still worrying if third parties and Sony don't announce games.

DGRE

Banned
I think all the talk about WiiU is more a symptom of the fact that the video games industry is still in its infancy. We don't have very much historical data to compare how the Wii U is truly doing compared to all consoles that came before it.

The way it has trended against the Wii is disheartening, but the way it is trending against the PS3 is more positive. It'd be better if we could see how the Wii U is tracking against, the N64, Super Famicom and Famicom systems, as well as the PS1.

Just like mass media, board-goers love a sensational story, so we're always looking to spin it one way or the other. In the case of the Vita, we spun it for awhile, but it has more and more looked to actually be truly struggling when compared against hard data of the past. With the WiiU, we really can't determine with any true meaning where it will end up.

It's fun to speculate, but I think it's good to temper speculation with information.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think it'll be under 15k before February. Nintendo needs to date Game & Wario asap.

Possibly. Vita held out a bit longer.

I am baffled they haven't dated Wario- it is listed as "early 2013" on their own website.

Nintendo is not afraid to show or reveal titles over 6 months out.

This adherence to focusing on the launch "window" games to avoid the 3DS problem is going to cost them customer enthusiasm and ultimately sales.

Whoa you know Nintendo is screwed when DragonSworne is unhappy.

Malvingt2

Vita - 33,309

ibzxd7fj4H8ktV.gif
perfect

Wii U going to sleep mode.
lol

BowieZ

Banned
2 more weeks (give or take) until MK7 reaches 2M. A couple months for SM3DL. Where does MH3G stand in totals??
I wonder if any 2013 releases can pull an Animal Crossing and beat SM3DL and MH3G to the 2M punch... when are Dragon Quest VII 3D and MH4 out?

Road

Nintendo Land is surprisingly showing legs. After some poor figures week one, I was expecting it to slide down. But nope.

NSMBU sales...I don't know. NSMB2 is showing strong legs now (anyone got NSMB LTD for the same stage?); I think for a hardware seller that makes NSMBU pretty much on its own as less of a pull.

iUT0F04Cz6F1Z.png

NSMB After 24 weeks:

Wii - 3,826,530
DS - 3,324,295
3DS - 1,875,303

Oersted

This might put things into perspective:

System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # | 279.259 | 250.205 | 240.819

| PSP # | 54.873 | 41.914 | 71.033 |

| PSV | 33.309 | 20.492 | 42.915

BriBri

I wonder if any 2013 releases can pull an Animal Crossing and beat SM3DL and MH3G to the 2M punch... when are Dragon Quest VII 3D and MH4 out?
DQ7r is Feb 7, MH4 is Summer. I doubt the former will hit 2 million although I guess close in its lifetime.

PSP didn't dominate the market for 1 year, let alone 2 years.

I don't know if dominate was the right word, but in 2010 it was indeed the best selling gaming platform in Japan. In both 2009 and 2011 it also held that title until the final weeks of December when DS (And also Wii in 2009) produced an insane number of unit sales at the very end.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, 6k level is more likely.
People should realize that Vita got an (unexpected) holiday bump. It's still selling like shit, and its future is still worrying if third parties and Sony don't announce games.
6k is <10k :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of curiousity, what type of perspective? That the 3DS is doing better than the Vita? Last year's week, that was Vita's 3rd week. After seeing the Vita sales performance for about 1 year now, it shouldnt be a surprise that it wouldnt match that week. If the Vita matched or sold more than last year's week, the reactions here would probably be even more surprised.

DGRE

Banned
Thanks. So yeah not even close.

As far as a percentage of software of total hardware, I'm sure that NSMBU is doing just as good or probably much better than previous entries.

Its a statistical impossibility for NSMBU to match any of the previous entries from Week 1 to now.

Huh? The 'former' in my message is Dragon Quest VII!
Ah my bad. I think its a possibility, DQM do pretty good numbers, so a remake of one of the best DQ could do 2M, but yes, I think a bit less than 2M is more realistic. Its just that this is the year of Pokemon, MH and DQ, which will boost the userbase to insane numbers, giving it increased momentum and so all eyes are on the 3DS, making that 2M slightly more possible.

As far as a percentage of software of total hardware, I'm sure that NSMBU is doing just as good or probably much better than previous entries.

Its a statistical impossibility for NSMBU to match any of the previous entries from Week 1 to now.
NSMBU is doing pretty good numbers for a launch title, considering the number of released Mario platformers and titles recently, I'm not sure what else people are expecting from it either.

Lowered expectations tend to do this to people.

tiku

Out of curiousity, what type of perspective? That the 3DS is doing better than the Vita? Last year's week, that was Vita's 3rd week. After seeing the Vita sales performance for about 1 year now, it shouldnt be a surprise that it wouldnt match that week. If the Vita matched or sold more than last year's week, the reactions here would probably be even more surprised.

I also don't know what he is *exactly* trying to compare xD

Oh its totally unfair to compare it to any of them. I was more talking NSMB2.

saichi

I don't know if dominate was the right word, but in 2010 it was indeed the best selling gaming platform in Japan. In both 2009 and 2011 it also held that title until the final weeks of December when DS (And also Wii in 2009) produced an insane number of unit sales at the very end.

That's simply not true. Not even close.

And 2010 is a split. PSP never dominated any year.

vareon

pwiP5.png

Regular game releases don't count for much when there's nothing, save possibly Soul Sacrifice, that's appealing to the mass market.

Not for mass market, but I think the Vita's current+upcoming lineup falls to the "satisfying enough for Vita owners, ok for those who are on the fence, still not that appealing to most people". Good enough for at least 10k per week, no?

I don't know shit, actually!

Durante

What is Ciel no Surge RE:Incarnation? Some type of enhanced re-release? Edit: yes, re-release with DLC, as I expected.

And I didn't even know there was a Meruru Plus coming, and so soon even. I'm a bad Gust fanboy.

evangd007

Still think it's hilarious the hate the WII U is getting, it's selling well and they still try to spin the numbers as been bad.

Not matching the Wii=failure, didn't you get the memo?

Do we have any info on Wii Fit U? Come on Nintendo, it's one thing to not tell us about unannounced games, it's another to not tell us about announced games supposedly releasing this quarter.

I wish Nintendo would tell us about a Wii U game that was 10 months out. 10 months is an eternity in Nintendo time.

Not for mass market, but I think the Vita's current+upcoming lineup falls to the "satisfying enough for Vita owners, ok for those who are on the fence, still not that appealing to most people". Good enough for at least 10k per week, no?

I don't know shit, actually!

I think Sony should convince people to jump on board, because with such poor numbers it cannot to keep in the market the platform.

Oersted

To make it simple ;) :

1. Vita selling less than the predecessor in the second year.

2. Vita selling less than last year.

3. Vita selling way less than competitor, who/which (?) not only a had a bump compared to last week, but also to last year.

4. For months, not a single Vita game appeared in the charts.

And the vocal minority on gaf is like Vita back from dead.

What I expect:

Nintendo Direct february

Games they will show for WiiU:

Rayman legends
Wii Fit U
Wario
Pikmin 3
Aliens Trailer
Need for Speed Trailer
Bayonetta Teaser

That's it.

Top Bottom