• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

Oregano

I don't see what the issue is. It wasn't coming to Vita, period. It was either possibly getting the double-dipping sales through Switch or not getting them at all.

Yeah bit weird. Are their investors ignorant to the reality of the marketplace?

Even if it fails it makes sense to try to branch out. Its not like the company is investing in Switch instead of an alternative. They're already exploring PC and mobile.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't see what the issue is. It wasn't coming to Vita, period. It was either possibly getting the double-dipping sales through Switch or not getting them at all.
I don't believe in double-dipping sales for it... most people that interested in Switch will come from Wii U and 3DS.

Games with PS4 buying a Switch will be few... add these that already played Disgaea 5... double-dipping is close to none.

Fisico

Are [..] investors ignorant to the reality of the marketplace

Most Investors probably don't have time to lurk MC thread and have stocks for multiple companies in multiple sectors, what they get of information is probably some one line comment made by financial news website which say
"NIS investing in new Nintendo platform, low prediction for the coming weeks, remain cautious keep/sell"

I'm not blaming them btw, that's just how it works.

Funny thing is how Nintendo's stock variation mirror NIS' stock variation (or the opposite rather)

nintendo-stockprice-1ddsdr.png

I doubt sales of Disgaea 5 Complete will come from double-dippers.

I don't believe in double-dipping sales for it... most people that interested in Switch will come from Wii U and 3DS.

Games with PS4 buying a Switch will be few... add these that already played Disgaea 5... double-dipping is close to none.

Okay, sure, perhaps I chose the wrong phrasing with that.

Point stands, they weren't getting any extra portable sales from Vita with it, so it's Switch or nothing.

You two seem to be indicating that Disgaea 5 should be getting even higher sales than previous portable Disgaea games though from not only getting the handheld-only buyers, but also Nintendo fans who will be tempted to try the series out.

But I don't see it selling much more than 3/4 sold on Vita (~ 70-80k LT).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You two seem to be indicating that Disgaea 5 should be getting even higher sales than previous portable Disgaea games though from not only getting the handheld-only buyers, but also Nintendo fans who will be tempted to try the series out.

I don't see where I indicated that. Getting more than 3/4 of what was sold on Vita means it will outsell PS4 version.

ethomaz

Banned

I didn't indicated anything about that :)

70-80k will be better than PS4 bersion.

I don't believe it will sell that on Switch at launch because it won't be userbase for that.

Celine

Super Bomberman R ...
Hard to say since there hasn't been a Bomberland title in so long o_O... probably depends on price (I could see it doing decently if it's cheap...)
This will be interesting, the system is voted to local multiplayer anywhere which is a strong point of Bomberman and they are trying to capture those who played the Super Bomberman titles on Super Famicom which were big sellers (200K+).
Let's hope Konami doesn't go crazy on the price.

BriBri

This will be interesting, the system is voted to local multiplayer anywhere which is a strong point of Bomberman and they are trying to capture those who played the Super Bomberman titles on Super Famicom which were big sellers (200K+).
Let's hope Konami doesn't go crazy on the price.
This doesn't necessarily mean anything but Game have it listed as £59.99 (¥8,262)!

BriBri

The official price will be announced this week, for now there are placeholders.
Placeholding at this price however does indicate it will be full priced (even if 'just' £40) and not the £20-£30 it needs to be. I'm guessing it will bomb man.

Edit: a couple more JP Switch games: Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (just confirmed to me to be localised) and Meguro from Over Fence.

Somnid

I feel Disgaea 5 has an opportunity to sell to early adopters, at this point the series is floated on it's core fans with no real reason for anyone new to get into it. This is exactly the time when people might take a second look in a non-crowded launch market.

ethomaz

Banned
Now I understand why Tales sales are decreasing each new release... the battle system is something I can't deal with... it is so chaotic, boring and hateful.

I guess I will never buy a Tales game again :(

Vena

Now I understand why Tales sales are decreasing each new release... the battle system is something I can't deal with... it is so chaotic, boring and hateful.

I guess I will never buy a Tales game again :(

They need to re-invent the systems in the game across the board, frankly. Otherwise, it's going to keep slipping.

duckroll

They need to re-invent the systems in the game across the board, frankly. Otherwise, it's going to keep slipping.

They just need to release an exclusive XB1 Tales, and then an exclusive Switch Tales, watch then both bomb, then port then to the PS4 a year later each and see a huge increase in sales, before releasing the first PS4 exclusive Tales and selling 500k+ again. Proven formula imo.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The problem is that, out of the box, the Switch doesn't have a d-pad. That doesn't matter for all games, but surely it will for some.

isn't the left buttons layout supposed to work as a split d-pad (as the Dualshowck one?)
I've not yet found many criticism from the hands on impression about it but could be because no game so far required to use them as a Dpad

Oregano

They just need to release an exclusive XB1 Tales, and then an exclusive Switch Tales, watch then both bomb, then port then to the PS4 a year later each and see a huge increase in sales, before releasing the first PS4 exclusive Tales and selling 500k+ again. Proven formula imo.

They could do a Steam exclusive one nowadays too, might boost the PS4 game to 750k!

I feel Disgaea 5 has an opportunity to sell to early adopters, at this point the series is floated on it's core fans with no real reason for anyone new to get into it. This is exactly the time when people might take a second look in a non-crowded launch market.
The 5th game is not something that should be the starting point for gathering new fans.

Or they can finally release a good tales game like Vesperia and watch the series go back to doing 500k+ sales in LTD.

I have played the Beresia demo and couldn't like it at all. The combat being chaotic is true and the presentation looks like low-budget JRPG like Nights of Azure with barren and flat environments.

Oregano

The 5th game is not something that should be the starting point for gathering new fans.

Or they can finally release a good tales game like Vesperia and watch the series go back to doing 500k+ sales in LTD.

I have played the Beresia demo and couldn't like it at all. The combat being chaotic is true and the presentation looks like low-budget JRPG like Nights of Azure with barren and flat environments.

Atlus: "Challenge Accepted"

duckroll

If you are talking about Persona 5, then isn't the series like Final Fantasy without any recurring characters or world? Each game is different enough on its own to stand out.

No?

Persona, Persnoa 2 IS, and Persona EP are in the same world with references and recurrnig characters. They take place sequentially. Persona 3, 4, and 5 are also in another world. And there are recurring characters and a continuity.

Sandfox

If you are talking about Persona 5, then isn't the series like Final Fantasy without any recurring characters or world? Each game is different enough on its own to stand out.

I haven't played the fifth game, but Persona probably has more connection between games than Disgaea, which pretty much keeps it contained to DLC maps.

Okay, sure, perhaps I chose the wrong phrasing with that.

Point stands, they weren't getting any extra portable sales from Vita with it, so it's Switch or nothing.

well im buying it mostly because the switch lineup is barren and an RPG is always welcome in such situations

duckroll

The gameplay mechanics are similar but I don't see the characters and story being shared across the two games, P3 and P4. So what makes Persona 5 the same in this regard?

Maybe if you never played them. You even visit the P3 school in P4. The fighting games also continue the continuity and links up all the characters. It's canon.

isn't the left buttons layout supposed to work as a split d-pad (as the Dualshowck one?)
I've not yet found many criticism from the hands on impression about it but could be because no game so far required to use them as a Dpad

i had my problems throwing hadokens and shoryukens but its still leaps and bounds better than playing SFII on an analogue stick (which I tried at first and said nope.)

Maybe if you never played them. You even visit the P3 school in P4. The fighting games also continue the continuity and links up all the characters. It's canon.
I have played P3 and P4: Golden and found them different enough to figure if anyone starts from either 3 and 4, they won't be confused. Infact going from P4 to P3 is terrible experience since P3 dungeon crawling sucks compared to P4.

The fighting games are canon since they are all set in the P4 universe.

duckroll

I have played P3 and P4: Golden and found them different enough to figure if anyone starts from either 3 and 4, they won't be confused. Infact going from P4 to P3 is terrible experience since P3 dungeon crawling sucks compared to P4.

The fighting games are canon since they are all set in the P4 universe.

Whole bunch of worthless words when all I was saying is that they do share characters and a world so you were wrong. Word soup doesn't change that.

Also P3 >>>>>>>>>>>> P4. And FFXV sucks.

Oregano

More to the point you can easily play Disgaea 5 without having played the others. Only the original game and D2 are directly connected.

Sandfox

i had my problems throwing hadokens and shoryukens but its still leaps and bounds better than playing SFII on an analogue stick (which I tried at first and said nope.)
I have never liked the special attack inputs in SF2.

They would probably need a new game that makes the series more causal like what happened with Fire Emblem, but I don't think NIS is capable of doing that.

casiopao

Whole bunch of worthless words when all I was saying is that they do share characters and a world so you were wrong. Word soup doesn't change that.

Also P3 >>>>>>>>>>>> P4. And FFXV sucks.

If only u said P2 is better than P3 and P4, then i feel we will had the same taste here.T_T

duckroll

More to the point you can easily play Disgaea 5 without having played the others. Only the original game and D2 are directly connected.

Sure but I think the reality is that you can say that about any game in a franchise. For all the crap people give Kingdom Hearts, most people aren't bothered by the ~convoluted storyline~ at all because the stories are relatively stand alone from world to world and you play as a kid who hangs out with Donald and Goofy exploring Disney worlds!

Oregano

Sure but I think the reality is that you can say that about any game in a franchise. For all the crap people give Kingdom Hearts, most people aren't bothered by the ~convoluted storyline~ at all because the stories are relatively stand alone from world to world and you play as a kid who hangs out with Donald and Goofy exploring Disney worlds!

That's only true for two of the games!

Although you're correct. I think the amount of releases and stupid names are more of a barrier there tbh.

casiopao

They would probably need a new game that makes the series more causal like what happened with Fire Emblem, but I don't think NIS is capable of doing that.

Stopping the ultra grinding can be a start lol. The fact that Disgaea is filled with sooo much grinding is what scares me and many of my pals into playing the game lol.

Top Bottom