• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

I remember some users mentioning shortages, yeah.

Dual-pack sales = 314 984 as of Week 48 (dropped from Top 20 after that, most likely did not sell much more after that).

So that's at least 3 354 569 units sold since launch. Whether or not it reaches 4m will depends on legs in the upcoming weeks, and when the "rumoured" Switch version is announced.

i'd imagine the Switch version announcement will be saved for e3 (or around that time) so they don't cut the legs off sun/moon

sphinx

the piano man
PS4 is in a better shape at FFXV launch than PS3 at FFXIII launch... in both hardware and software sales.

So how PS4 selling better hardware and software than PS3 affected FFXV launch? Care to explain.

Sorry, I stand corrected I didn't know PS4 had a bigger userbase.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Almost

1*: [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥5.700) - 143.514 / 985.188 <60-80%>
2*: [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.12.01} (¥4.700) - 160.016 / 984.331 <40-60%>
Code:
+--+----------+----------+
|  |  Famitsu |  Famitsu |
|  |     1*   |     2*   |
|Wk|2015.09.07|2015.09.07|
|  |    to    |    to    |
|  |2017.01.08|2017.01.08|
| 1|   143.514|          |
| 2|    83.572|          |
| 3|    53.849|          |
| 4|    30.251|          |
| 5|    25.706|          |
| 6|    21.793|          |
| 7|    14.913|          |
| 8|    12.823|          |
| 9|    13.025|          |
|10|    10.033|          |
|11|     9.913|          |
|12|    14.291|          |
|13|    20.961|          |
|14|    41.462|          |
|15|    80.807|          |
|16|    97.281|          |
|17|    68.523|          |
|18|    30.399|          |
|19|    15.555|          |
|20|     9.370|          |
|21|     7.931|          |
|22|     5.618|          |
|23|     4.692|          |
|24|     6.136|          |
|25|     3.513|          |
|26|     5.656|          |
|27|     3.218|          |
|28|     4.920|          |
|29|     6.696|          |
|30|     4.175|          |
|31|     5.220|          |
|32|     5.132|          |
|33|     6.915|          |
|34|     8.743|          |
|35|     9.108|          |
|36|     3.435|          |
|37|     3.537|          |
|38|     3.779|          |
|39|     4.522|          |
|40|     3.836|          |
|41|     4.852|          |
|42|     4.826|          |
|43|     5.671|          |
|44|     3.550|          |
|45|     1.756|          |
|46|          |          |
|47|          |          |
|48|          |          |
|49|          |          |
|50|          |          |
|51|          |          |
|52|          |          |
|53|          |          |
|54|          |          |
|55|          |          |
|56|          |          |
|57|          |          |
|58|          |          |
|59|          |          |
|60|          |          |
|61|          |          |
|62|          |          |
|63|          |          |
|64|          |          |
|65|          |   160.016|
|66|          |   116.798|
|67|     6.134|   151.192|
|68|    16.262|   315.382|
|69|     5.968|   113.858|
|70|     6.814|   127.085|
graph.png

Did you miss when I mentioned FFXIII? Better hold than XIII.

And lol @ thinking DQXI will sell close to 1 million on PS4. Good luck ;)

FFXIII did double the first week sales lol, of course later weeks were lower. There's nothing good about how XV has sold. The fact the sales are still in five digits is nothing to celebrate.

duckroll

My take then is that both camps were wrong, as they usually are. :p

Well iirc I said that FFXV would probably be able to sell a million, but it wasn't a sure thing, it would probably launch under a million, and it would never touch 1.5 million, which was what FFXIII launched at. I guess I was right!!!!!!111111

Yay me for stating the obvious!

I feel like people often puts 100% of the blame for FF's decline on Square-Enix.

I think Sony and its failure to grow its PS4 userbase in Japan in a timely manner killed any chances of FFXV doing FFXIII numbers. That a bigger role here more than people actually disliking what the game had to offer, from teaser/trailers to demos and the final game.

FFXV was released on a failed console, period.

sure, PS4 had a rather encouraging 2016 but it's still a failure, with all its letter.

or am I missing some other fact?

Really? If the PS4 is a failed console, what's the PS3?

FFXV will def hit a million now physical. Still a disappointing showing. Never thought we'd see a mainline Final Fantasy limp to a million sold.

L~A

Not being shipped anymore.

Actually, OG 3DS still hasn't been discontinued... though I'm starting to wonder whether Nintendo simply hasn't updated the official website yet. I doubt they're still manufacturing new units right now.

i'd imagine the Switch version announcement will be saved for e3 (or around that time) so they don't cut the legs off sun/moon

Not sure about E3, but definitely not on Jan. 13... (unless it's lauching much earlier than anticipated).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its weird cause in general, PS4 has higher number counts than PS3 did at the same period in its life cycle...and also we have to account for the fact that the PS3 era was a much different time period, not so obsessed with mobile yet compared to now..and the core gaming, console scene was presumably much more aware in the mainstream.

I think the PS4's sales all things considered are much better than they have any right being in Japan considering the circumstances we came into this generation with and the general trajectory of things.

FFXV will def hit a million now physical. Still a disappointing showing. Never thought we'd see a mainline Final Fantasy limp to a million sold.

There was no digital when 13 launched, so it's over 1 million already, it's not as dire as some want it to be, plus it seems WW made up and slowdown from japan.

Memento

Sorry, I stand corrected I didn't know PS4 had a bigger userbase.

PS4 also sold more software than PS3 at the same time frame

I dont know where the narrative that PS4 is doing worse than PS3 started, but it is getting annoying.

Edit: it is also worth noticing that back then in the PS3 era, mobile was much less dominant

FFXIII did double the first week sales lol, of course later weeks were lower. There's nothing good about how XV has sold. The fact the sales are still in five digits is nothing to celebrate.

Not to mention reason for XV having ''better'' legs is the launch date. XV has had its every week so far during holiday season. XIII was already outside of holiday season when you compare week to week sales to XV.

duckroll

PS4 also sold more software than PS3 at the same time frame

I dont know where the narrative that PS4 is doing worse than PS3 started, but it is getting annoying.

Major PS4 software is selling significantly less than their compatriots on PS3 so it gives that impression. Persona is the only franchise that managed to increase.

Not to mention reason for XV having ''better'' legs is the launch date. XV has had its every week so far during holiday season. XIII was already outside of holiday season when you compare week to week sales to XV.
You can apply this to every game released this holiday season. Pokemon is selling better. Mario is holding better.

No reason to isolate it to FFXV. No reason to downplay the legs either. Otherwise we can say that the rest of good holders are also nothing special and are having legs thanks to holidays.

No, that's why I want the gooch back. Franchise is damaged, but it should still be recoverable if someone actually makes a good FF game.

LOL why are people acting like ff15 is some disaster? It was a good game and WW sales will be bigger then 13, it being lower in Japan is being offset elsewhere.

Calm Mind

Love all the comments that try to downplay the healthy legs of FFXV. I mean these legs won't change the drop in launch and LTD but they are certainly beating expectations for people. Why do some people need the feel to point out the sales have fallen short much when we are actually talking about weekly sales.

There is nothing healthy about a game that had to be heavily discounted just to scrape by.

No, that's why I want the gooch back. Franchise is damaged, but it should still be recoverable if someone actually makes a good FF game.
But the Gooch developed games like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and The Last Story all flopped or had average sales in Japan? They weren't critical success either.

LOL why are people acting like ff15 is some disaster? It was a good game and WW sales will be bigger then 13, it being lower in Japan is being offset elsewhere.

so good the story is getting patched

But the Gooch developed games like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and The Last Story all flopped or had average sales in Japan? They weren't critical success either.

I loved Lost Odyssey & Last Story. Blue Dragon was lame though. Of course LO & BD had low sales, they were X360 games. Didn't last story do better then Xenoblade?

Meanwhile a neutered Super Mario Maker duels with Final Fantasy XV. FF has fallen hard man. I think SE should try and get the gooch back for the next one.
This is the second time Mario and Final Fantasy fought it out. Remember NSMBWii vs. Final Fantasy XIII. That was fun; especially after Mario increased in its third week (FFXIII second week). Fun battle.

Mario comes out on top though.

Aki-at

Huh. Yakuza 6 has a chance at selling out its first shipment and maybe crossing 400k.

Colour me pleasantly surprised.

hiska-kun

There're still more than 150k FFXV copies on shelves. Amazon.jp have the game 47% off, and now that holidays are over the price will only go down.

The Media Create chart says it's sold at 8800yen.

That's the official price, not the price that is being sold by retailers.

I loved Lost Odyssey & Last Story. Blue Dragon was lame though. Of course LO & BD had low sales, they were X360 games. Didn't last story do better then Xenoblade Chronicles?
Even if it did better than XB, they sold the low-end for a JRPG in Japan.

Both of these games you loved were flawed and this can be seen in their reviews. I am sorry you hated FFXV but just like you loved LO and BD despite flaws, people loved FFXV despite flaws and the franchise is having really healthy sales WW aside from Japan.

Even if it did better than XB, they sold the low-end for a JRPG in Japan.

Both of these games you loved were flawed and this can be seen in their reviews. I am sorry you hated FFXV but just like you loved LO and BD despite flaws, people loved FFXV despite flaws and the franchise is having really healthy sales WW aside from Japan.

I didn't love BD lol.

I was saying that TLS did well for the platform it was on, in the state the wii was at that point in time. It outsold what was largely regarded as the best RPG of the generation.

I didn't love BD lol.

I was saying that TLS did well for the platform it was on, in the state the wii was at that point in time. It outsold what was largely regarded as the best RPG of the generation.
Wasn't it released at the end of Wii life? Might be higher userbase or maybe Japan just hates Xenoblade.

Top Bottom