• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

Zedark

If you ignore digital that is. in Germany it's way ahead of XIII as we got BIU update today (it reached 200k far faster).

Does BIU include digital? If not, then FFXV should be tracking far ahead of FFXIII over there (it would still be tracking ahead if they did, of course).

Oregano

FFXV might outsell FFXIII but it's important to remember that XV was released before the holidays in the West and FFXIII was released after the holidays in the West. More sales up front might not be out of the ordinary.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I get the impression several people want FFXV to crash and burn.

It's ok though, I do have a feeling FFXII TZA will crash and burn here since it doesn't seem like it's JP's favorite FF.

ethomaz

Banned
Does BIU include digital? If not, then FFXV should be tracking far ahead of FFXIII over there (it would still be tracking ahead if they did, of course).
It is tracking ahead... FFXIII needed 3 months to > 200k but it was launched in March.

Shipment... I mean sales.

Nice to know.

ugh, shipments, 95% of the time all we get are shipment numbers, it's really irrelevant, to square that is sold anyway, they would not be ordering more copies if a product is not moving.
Keep in mind digital was not a thing when ff13 launched. It is a significant part of the market now.

Oregano

It's ok though, I do have a feeling FFXII TZA will crash and burn here since it doesn't seem like it's JP's favorite FF.

FFXII has a vocal audience but anecdotally speaking more casual fans don't seem to like it.

Toth

If it does (and I really hope it doesn't), the freakout among certain GAF posters will be epic. The blaming game would be hilarious.

~Cross~

Shipment... I mean sales.

Nice to know.

I mean the number people quote for FFXIII is also a shipment number. With stronger digital sales on consoles, FFXIII never releasing on digital for current consoles and the inevitable Directors Cut/ PC release FFXV will easily outsell FFXIII. Thats pretty much a given right now.

Zedark

It is tracking ahead... FFXIII needed 3 months to > 200k but it was launched in March.

Wasn't it six months (that's what I gather from this press release)?
BIU-online.de October 2010 press release said:
Neben dem Blitzstart von FIFA 11 erreichten im September 2010 drei weitere Spiele die erforderlichen Grenzen für die begehrten Sales-Trophäen: Das Fantasy-Rollenspiel von SquareEnix "Final Fantasy XIII", seit Anfang 2010 auf dem Markt, wurde mit Platin für seinen Erfolg auf der PlayStation 3 ausgezeichnet.
Translation:
Besides the lightning start of FIFA 11, three other games achieved in September 2010 the commendable boundary for the sought-after Sales-trophies: The Fantasy RPG from Square Enix "Final Fantasy XIII", available on the market since the start of 2010, has been awarded the Platinum award for its success on the PS3.

ethomaz

Banned
World wide? Were?
I think you are new to SalesGAF.

We compare sales from games using NPD, GFK, MediaCreate... that is how we analyze if a game is doing good or not.

Shipment is not taken in consideration... it is good and all but there are a big margin of sold or unsold using shipment to compare games.

E.g. a game that shipped 4m could end selling more than one that shipped 5 million.

I don't know why that matters when comparing totals. XIII shipped 6.8 million worldwide as of december 2014 on PS3/X360. XV is at 6 million shipped WW as of now. XV has already shipped around the same amount of units outside of Japan as XIII did during its whole lifetime.
XIII was released during an extreme heat wave so Final Fantasy centers were empty worldwide and hence it slowly shipped to 6.8 million compared to 6 million for FFXV, which was released during the holidays when everyone and their grandmother was shopping for new games and FFXV appeared to attract them.

Also SE managed to ship 1 million more copies by blackmailing retailers otherwise there are still millions of unsold copies worldwide.

FFXV is such a big bomb that SE might go bankrupt. The budget was apparently 200+ million, even bigger than GTA V. The director is a liar who wanted to save face hence he said it was fixed budget, but don't believe him.

We compare sales from games using NPD, GFK, MediaCreate... that is how we analyze if a game is doing good or not.

Shipment is not taken in consideration... it is good and all but there are a big margin of sold or unsold using shipment to compare games.

E.g. a game that shipped 4m could end selling more than one that shipped 5 million.

So we don't get total WW sales number soften....most companies deal in shipped.

It is near total lifetime shipments of ff13 in just 5 weeks, there is no way to spin this as bad. We got updated shipments numbers so it's clear it's doing well.

Zedark

That is true, but the fact that FFXV actually did a second shipment would mean that it does not fall into the category of games that overship badly, right?

ethomaz

Banned
Did they actually ship another million? Did the initial five million include digital? The six million does.
At least the 1m includes digital from Nov 30 to early January.

The 5m possible only includes preorders or day one digital... or even no digital but nobody knows.

~Cross~

Did they actually ship another million? Did the initial five million include digital? The six million does.

"Square Enix announced today that across digital sales and retail shipments, five million copies of Final Fantasy XV were shipped on day one."

XIII was released during an extreme heat wave so Final Fantasy centers were empty worldwide and hence it slowly shipped to 6.8 million compared to 6 million for FFXV, which was released during the holidays when everyone and their grandmother was shopping for new games and FFXV appeared to attract them.

Also SE managed to ship 1 million more copies by blackmailing retailers otherwise there are still millions of unsold copies worldwide.

FFXV is such a big bomb that SE might go bankrupt. The budget was apparently 200+ million, even bigger than GTA V. The director is a liar who wanted to save face hence he said it was fixed budget, but don't believe him.
Word around the block is ffxvi will be a mobile gacha game because of it

5 million was shipped+digital and so is 6 million.

So they either sold 1 million more digital after initial 5 million (which included digital pre-orders as well) or they blackmailed retailers. It is simply not possible for FFXV to sell 2/3rd of its shipment because its a failure, in case you haven't heard it enough yet.

And using NPD, GFK and Media Create to determine global sell trough for any game is getting harder and harder every year.

a) we hardly know digital sales
b) GFK leaks/gives data about whole European market very rarely and NPD leaks far less data than in past (LTD data for software is pretty rare nowadays)
c) We get pretty much zero sell trough data from growing markets

Japan is pretty much only country where we can have exact idea how the game is doing as we get weekly retail data and Famitsu even gives digital estimates.

ethomaz

Banned
That is true, but the fact that FFXV actually did a second shipment would mean that it does not fall into the category of games that overship badly, right?
Where it did the second shipment?

You need to understand that overshipment or undershipment are region related.

Oregano

"Square Enix announced today that across digital sales and retail shipments, five million copies of Final Fantasy XV were shipped on day one."

So they either sold 1 million more digital after initial 5 million (which included digital pre-orders as well) or they blackmailed retailers. It is simply not possible for FFXV to sell 2/3rd of its shipment because its a failure, in case you haven't heard it enough yet.

Cool but it would be interesting to see how many digital preorders there actually are.

Obviously physical shipments take into account future demands whereas a digital copy can only be counted at point of purchase.

~Cross~

Is it hard to believe that some retailers are getting a few more copies? When I was out on a work trip in December I couldn't find a copy on the stores around the area I was in and like two of the stores were inside a military base where only soldiers and their families have access to. Its not that far fetched that stores are getting more copies

e-this was about 2 weeks before christmas

Orgen

mason-stop-o.gif

Right now you're more obnoxious than all the FFXV detractors, so please stop.

What's happening with Sukiyaki? It didn't get another shipment since Christmas? Just when it seemed to be able to reach 1 million...

Zedark

The initial five million did include digital sales. If you go to this document, and look at the translation (I used Google Translate) of the first paragraph, it says that final fantasy XV has sold 5 million copies on day one and shows a 1, which links to the bottom of the page to a note. Translating that, it says that it includes both intial shipment and digital sales numbers:
*1:パッケージ初回出荷本数とダウンロード販売数の合計
Google Translate said:
* 1: Total of packaged initial shipment number and download sales number

So, unless the translation tool managed to counterfeit a perfectly fluent wrong translation that invents new meanings that fit the context perfectly, I would say we can conclude that the 5 million number includes digital.

Where it did the second shipment?

You need to understand that overshipment or undershipment are region related.

And when Japan is the region with overshipment it makes it less likely that other regions have massive overshipments considering the game did get extra million update to shipments (yes part of the million increase is from digital sales but not all).

mason-stop-o.gif

Right now you're more obnoxious than all the FFXV detractors, so please stop.
Ok. As you wish.

Code:
30./13. [PSV] SaGa: Scarlet Grace <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.12.15} (¥6.800) - 5.498 / 89.605 <80-100%> (-45%)
I wonder what SE think about these sales? Pull the plug on the franchise again perhaps.

Ok. As you wish.

Code:
30./13. [PSV] SaGa: Scarlet Grace <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.12.15} (¥6.800) - 5.498 / 89.605 <80-100%> (-45%)
I wonder what SE think about these sales? Pull the plug on the franchise again perhaps.
What caused them to plug it back up again in the first place. Heavily requested? Or just a general" let's try again"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What caused them to plug it back up again in the first place. Heavily requested? Or just a general" let's try again"

When Matsuda became CEO, he greenlit new entries in a wide variety of retired series in hopes of finding things that worked.

I'm not sure they've actually found a successful resurrection yet.

Vena

And when Japan is the region with overshipment it makes it less likely that other regions have massive overshipments considering the game did get extra million update to shipments (yes part of the million increase is from digital sales but not all).

I think we'll have to see NPD to be sure, there could be sporadic channel stuffing in the US (or more accurately, an attempt to fill retail channels without the initial shipment necessarily running out). The market is wide enough in the US that you can easily ship more to some locations that may have had high demand but then that stock ends up stuck because demand ended. But we really won't know how it did until NPD.

Still some parts of Europe were up considerably, others not. So we'll just have to wait and accrue more data to figure out what;s up with the 6 million figure. :p

kswiston

Japan doesnt really channel stuff in most instances. Using Dengeki's 1.15M initial shipment, we're looking at less than 250k copies left. Close to 80% sell through. That may be bad for Japan, but I dont think 80% sell-through after 5 weeks would be that out of the norm worldwide. At least based on the shipment vs sellthrough data we have for other titles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aw man I can't knock the guy for trying at least that's for sure. Probably won't do anymore u guess?
To my understanding, his stance has basically been that only the stuff that works keeps going.

Like they talked extensively about their sequel potential for Setsuna, but that studio is now trying a new series after that went poorly.

Similarly, the producer for Bravely Default said they would immediately propose Bravely Third if Bravely Second went well, and then after launch, implied they were looking at making a new series.

Valkyrie Profile 3 was also going to be propose if Star Ocean 5 notably succeeded, and uh, I think we can write that one off.

They're basically continuing on with the teams, but the brands (on console) seem to be getting the axe in favor of chasing new opportunities that are potentially more relevant to the current marketplace.

To my understanding, his stance has basically been that only the stuff that works keeps going.

Like they talked extensively about their sequel potential for Setsuna, but that studio is now trying a new series after that went poorly.

Similarly, the producer for Bravely Default said they would immediately propose Bravely Third if Bravely Second went well, and then after launch, implied they were looking at making a new series.

Valkyrie Profile 3 was also going to be propose if Star Ocean 5 notably succeeded, and uh, I think we can write that one off.

They're basically continuing on with the teams, but the brands (on console) seem to be getting the axe in favor of chasing new opportunities that are potentially more relevant to the current marketplace.
Damn so what are we thinking are the causes for the failures. Like say Star ocean is the IP just undesirable at this point it is the need to bring back and IP but also give it a somewhat (I'm assuming) low budget what's hurting the titles

Top Bottom