• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

saichi

It had better legs than Yo-kai Watch 2? Because if it did, then it clearly held well.

Not sure how good legs can be equated to succcess.

Your definition of "good legs" is a little odd though. Because it has better legs than XIII, so it has good legs. In a 10 people race, you finished second last instead of last doesn't mean you do good. You are just doing better than the worst performer which is what XIII is.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Damn so what are we thinking are the causes for the failures. Like say Star ocean is the IP just undesirable at this point it is the need to bring back and IP but also give it a somewhat (I'm assuming) low budget what's hurting the titles

Yes to both.

It's actually pretty rare for IPs to last an incredibly long time (Star Ocean is a 1996 series), and these games have low budgets to limit Square Enix's risk exposure to failure, but those low budgets contribute to making games that aren't especially appealing in a world where high standards reign.

Star Ocean 5 was actually the second worst rated $60 game on Metacritic released in 2016, with only Homefront 2 being lower, and is 9 points below the score of the third worst rated game.

Yes to both.

It's actually pretty rare for IPs to last an incredibly long time (Star Ocean is a 1996 series), and these games have low budgets to limit Square Enix's risk exposure to failure, but those low budgets contribute to making games that aren't especially appealing in a world where high standards reign.

Star Ocean 5 was actually the second worst rated $60 game on Metacritic released in 2016, with only Homefront 2 being lower, and is 9 points below the score of the third worst rated game.
Wow! That's embarrassing to say the least had no idea about Metacritic. Actually not to familiar with squares IP admittedly. Any other series they have that could transition well to a smaller format

Yes to both.

I thought it was 70 or so.... Holy shit!

duckroll

Yes to both.

But Tales is older than SO!

It's starting to look like the PS4 may manage to outsell the PS3 LT. If they can manage that it's pretty good news for Sony

Also it's funny because Media Create threads are really the last bastion for people who want to complain about FFXV sales. It's tracking in line or ahead of XIII in the West

I think we'll have to see NPD to be sure, there could be sporadic channel stuffing in the US (or more accurately, an attempt to fill retail channels without the initial shipment necessarily running out). The market is wide enough in the US that you can easily ship more to some locations that may have had high demand but then that stock ends up stuck because demand ended. But we really won't know how it did until NPD.

Still some parts of Europe were up considerably, others not. So we'll just have to wait and accrue more data to figure out what;s up with the 6 million figure. :p

Well even with NPD numbers we will not know how much it did ship to US. Of course if it did something like 500k in NPD it's safe to expect that they did overship. I guess that only way to know for sure is if we get another WW shipment update fairly soon (like after this Q). More the XV gets shipment updates the less likely it's that it was overshipped in any major market (aside from Japan like mentioned).
Japan doesnt really channel stuff in most instances. Using Dengeki's 1.15M initial shipment, we're looking at less than 250k copies left. Close to 80% sell through. That may be bad for Japan, but I dont think 80% sell-through after 5 weeks would be that out of the norm worldwide. At least based on the shipment vs sellthrough data we have for other titles.

That is true but that is also just how Japanese market works. Having ''only'' sold 80% of the launch stock after a month in Japan means most of the time that the game was channel sttuffed as core games have so poor legs. In west of course it's completely different.

It's starting to look like the PS4 may manage to outsell the PS3 LT. If they can manage that it's pretty good news for Sony

Also it's funny because Media Create threads are really the last bastion for people who want to complain about FFXV sales. It's tracking in line or ahead of XIII in the West

If PS5 launches as late as 2020 maybe. Reason why PS3 got where it's is because last gen was so fricking long.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow! That's embarrassing to say the least had no idea about Metacritic. Actually not to familiar with squares IP admittedly. Any other series they have that could transition well to a smaller format

In Japan, I think it's a pretty hard pitch to revive old IPs on console, because the console audience tends to be rather young, and thus has no real memory of these games.

This is why some of these IP revivals tend to do better on mobile, because the people who were playing the consoles games in 1996 or even 2006 play games nigh entirely on their phones now. This is why a lot of those games also include heavy nostalgia trip elements, like Yu-Gi-Oh being based around the original series, or Final Fantasy Record Keeper being about going through the plot of old Final Fantasy games.

As such, you basically have to reinvent them in a way that really speaks to the modern audience. We have seen some companies have good success with this, Persona 3 and Fire Emblem: Awakening were very appealing to the younger audiences they had available, but it can be hard and usually requires more investment than previous entries in the series had, along with senior staff who really get what the current day youth like.

If you're targeting the West, I think there's a more limited set of series you would consider picking from, and I think it actually would be easier for a lot of them to be produced as digital games if they want to limit their budget expenditure, because it's a very hard pitch to sell someone Star Ocean 5 for the same price as Grand Theft Auto V. However, a lot of companies are less interested in that, because they see less potential dollar signs when a price tag is $20 instead of $60. It's also unclear how many people who bought a game in 2003 would be interested in a revival in 2017, since a lot of people have had major taste evolution and/or expectation changes over that period.

But Tales is older than SO!
I do think Namco actually did a better job of keeping that up, though I think part of that is that they actually kept making games, so they constantly had opportunities to pick up fans as they potentially lost older ones.

II do think Namco actually did a better job of keeping that up, though I think part of that is that they actually kept making games, so they constantly had opportunities to pick up fans as they potentially lost older ones.

Which they are now running into ground with very poor budget games .

duckroll

I didn't say they did a good job of keeping it up, just better than Star Ocean! :p

I dunno, considering how old you consider the series, and how "watered down" it apparently is, being able to still sell hundreds of thousands in Japan seems pretty good to me.

Oemenia

Banned
Wow didn't take long for everyone to start shitting on the PS4 and FFXV sales.

Oh well, at least its ahead of Mario maker.

Fisico

Idk how tales has managed this long man. That series..Sigh I'ma sound like a old man screaming at the clouds like FF fans lol won't even go there

I do think Namco actually did a better job of keeping that up, though I think part of that is that they actually kept making games, so they constantly had opportunities to pick up fans as they potentially lost older ones.

Yes mostly that, also they had a rather good two team dynamics going on until Tales of Graces in 2009, and, even if some might say the opposite, I don't think they ever screwed up a title to the point it hurt the franchise as a whole too bad.

After 20 years they still have a very strong fanbase (shrinking but strong nevertheless) that they can squeeze with a 300-500k title every two years and a 150k remaster - 150k spin-off on the meantime while keeping development budget in check.
They're also making a lot of revenues outside the game's sales with the cosmetic dlc and merchandising.

And for Zestiria we also have the first entry (bar Symphonia GC) which sold more in the West than in Japan and not only because of the decline in Japan, they will be pretty fine as is for the next ten years unless there's a dramatic failure somewhere.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I dunno, considering how old you consider the series, and how "watered down" it apparently is, being able to still sell hundreds of thousands in Japan seems pretty good to me.

[SFC] Star Ocean: 175,861
[PS1] Star Ocean: The Second Story [All Versions]: 705,787
[PS2] Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time [All Versions]: 710,185
[360 + PS3] Star Ocean: The Last Hope: 208,521 + 179,202 = 387,723
[PS4 + PS3] Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness: 151,911 + 37,176 = 189,087

I feel this was pretty demonstrative of just selling to what's left of their audience as opposed to actually making a product that can reach anyone new.

Maybe there's some eternal version of budget and expectations limbo they can play where this is a great result, and they'll have some game that does 100,000 copies in 2022 that we can go "Well it's still 100K!", but I honestly don't think this is a healthy franchise.

Anoxida

Wow. I thought it sold 10 million or something the way people treat it.

Nope. FFXV with a pc release will probably not cross 10 million but probably be close when its all said and done. Much more successful than XIII wordlwide so im.sure SE is happy. This is about Japan only though so obv series is dead and buried there according to people here. 1 million+ is great. Not what it used to be but hey thats what you get for releasing the XIII series. Japan dont forget!

duckroll

When I think of Star Ocean, I think of the opening scene in Kingdom of Heaven where the priest tells the gravedigger - "She was a suicide, cut off her head."

Dargor

When I think of Star Ocean, I think of the opening scene in Kingdom of Heaven where the priest tells the gravedigger - "She was a suicide, cut off her head."

Man, the new Star Ocean really got me sad. SE seemed to be givin them a real chance, but then we got a game that was decent, but just reeked of low budget :(.

Man, the new Star Ocean really got me sad. SE seemed to be givin them a real chance, but then we got a game that was decent, but just reeked of low budget :(.

Cant blame the budget on bad combat mechanics. The Rock Paper Scissors thing they had going on was never going to work in hectic battles like that.

I usually like tri ace combat systems too. This one just never clicked with me.

Aww, SaGa cratered. Had hoped it would rise this week! But y'know, at least Minecraft is up. And Vita as a whole. Barely.

I love how Momotaro is charting in Famitsu on Wii.

Dargor

Cant blame the budget on bad combat mechanics. The Rock Paper Scissors thing they had going on was never going to work in hectic battles like that.

I usually like tri ace combat systems too. This one just never clicked with me.

I dunno, everything in it felt like a "we have to settle for this cuz we can't do anything else" situation for me. Everything seemed like a succession of trade offs that really didn't pan out as well as it should in the end.

Toth

Yeah, it was pretty decent game but way too cumbersome outside of the battle system. The plot and characters largely unrelated to anything in the SO storyline didn't help (the big baddie being a terrible character and design was the worst). Oh and having a questing system that requires excessive backtracking is a bad, bad idea.

I wonder what US sales were.....

Elios83

PS4 sales are going really well, since the Slim there was a take off in japanese sales. They surpassed the Wii U LTD not too long ago and now they're almost 1m ahead. Next target is surpassing Vita's LTD sales.

Kanann

Tales almost lose them all in Zestiria, but Berseria was bounce back so hard I became Tales fan again after quited it 6-7 years ago.

BriBri

01. Splatoon: Shiokaraazu
02. Splatoon: Squid
03. Osomatsu-san: The 6 Children of Matsuno Family
04. Kurousa-P feat. Hatsune Miku 「Senbonzakura」
05. Monster Hunter X
06. Pokémon: Mega Mewtwo & BREAK Evolution
07. Pokémon: Ash-Gekkouga
08. Pokémon Sun Moon: Solgaleo & Lunala
09. Assassination Classroom: New Theme of Time
10. ONE PIECE FILM GOLD
11. Pokémon: Mega Charizard Y & Mega Rayquaza
12. Pokémon: Red & Green
13. Kirby Planet Robobot
14. Pokémon Champion Daigo
15. ONE PIECE: Luffy Sabo Ace
16. Dragon Ball Super: Goku and Vegeta
17. Pokémon: Pair Art Set
18. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
19. Pokémon: Poké Kyun Collection
20. Petit Rabbit’s ‘No Poi!’
21. Soraru × Mafumafu ‘Sekai-sick ni Shounen Shoujo’
22. rerulili feat. Hatsune Miku x GUMI ‘Brain Fluid Explosion Girl’
23. Osomatsu-san Fourth Son Ichimatsu
24. Assassination Classroom: Theme of Time 4
25. Osomatsu-san Six Children Theme Set
26. Ashley’s Magical theme
27. Assassination Classroom: New Theme of Time ③
28. Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Set
29. Kojima Tenninn: Special Voice
30. Pokémon Sun Moon: Tropical
What's interesting about the above is both Splatoon themes came out in 2015. Pokémon themes have legs. Animal Crossing themes do not. And Hino doesn't like themes.

Rob2K19

What's interesting about the above is both Splatoon themes came out in 2015. Pokémon themes have legs. Animal Crossing themes do not. And Hino doesn't like themes.

07. Pokémon: Ash-Gekkouga

Who did that? LOL

Not to mention the others.

L~A

Some interesting data from Media Create, for the holiday period (Nov. 14 to January 1st):

Total sales for Top 10: 6.74 million units (70.7% of total sales)
Total sales for Top 20: 7.38 million units (77.3% of total sales)
Total sales for Top 30: 7.75 million units (81.2% of total sales)

Total sales for Top 10: 5.61 million units (59.4% of total sales)
Total sales for Top 20: 6.59 million units (74.1% of total sales)
Total sales for Top 30: 7.07 million units (74.1% of total sales) < most definitely a typo

Basically, games outside Top 10 (and especially Top 30) sold a lot less this year, with +11.3% share for Top 10, and +7.1% share for Top 30 titles.

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

Zedark

I really needed to check my trophies lol

Xillia.

The combat is very much different from Xillia. It follows the layout first established in Graces, built upon quite badly by Zestiria, and now taken to an even faster level compared to Graces with Berseria. The game focuses a lot on fast-paced combos and well-timed dodges (dodging at the right time will restore part of your action bar, which you need to perform attacks). You can try the demo if you are interested (available on PS4 and Steam), where you are thrown into some scenario and can try out the combat system. I found it to be fun but chaotic, yet after time I got a better grip on the different combos I could do and what would be the best way to fight certain enemies. The tactical aspect resides there: how to manage your combos, defending and action bar. You can find more impressions from the demo here.

Top Bottom