• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2011 (Apr 11 - Apr 17)

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
There are NO 3ds shortages, nintendo isn't even shipping anymore until demand catches up with supply.

Generally best guess is that earthquake did hurt things, but generally it's believed they are gearing up for NGP and don't have any desire to spend the capital to increase production infrastructure on an old system.

No P2 shortages, game was reviewed poorly(If I had seen famitsu's review I would have changed my estimate) , Super robot took psp sales for the weak

Are there still PSP shortages in Japan though?

Delio

LOCK said:
I think the 3DS will level out around 25k.

Next week will be very interesting with Nintendo, I wonder if we will get a price drop for Japan then.

A price drop for the 3DS now?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week's releases {2011.04.28}

[3DS] Deca Sports 3D (Hudson)

[NDS] Hakuouki: Yuugi Roku DS (Idea Factory)
[NDS] Kirei Zukin Seikatsu 2 (Columbia Music Entertainment)

[PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch)
[PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE)
[PSP] Starry Sky: In Winter Portable (Asgard)
[PSP] Asaki, Yumemishi (Quinrose)
[PSP] Split/Second (Disney Interactive)

[PS3] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition)

[360] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition)
[360] Espgaluda II: Black Label [Platinum Collection] (Cave)

Pretty good SRWZ2-1 start, but man are they greedy. Not only iirc its the most expensive normal edition PSP game ever (7329Y) its also a 2-part game, thus another 7329Y down the line. The PS2 SRWZ was 8379Y but that was on a system where the average game went for 7k, PSP average game years ago was 5k although its more usual to see 6k now.

Crazy good for PBSpirits too (highest ever), last year the PS3 also started on top but LTD the PSP caught and surpassed, I wonder if it'll be the same this year.

Persona numbers are disappointing though, be it bad word of mouth (from the first or about this second), or just bad plan to have a port of 2 after 3 set higher standards. With the Persona 4 anime around shortly...its only a matter of time before Persona 4 releases on another platform, I do wonder if it'll be too late for a PSP port in the vein of 3, do a cross 3DS/PSP, a more direct from PS2 to 3DS or if they will want something meatier as a full remake on PS3 or maybe NGP.

Laguna

Banned
Chris1964 said:
In other words there is supply problem.

If that´s the case (any proof or official statement?) then it´s really "strange" situation. We know how it´s selling in the US and they still have a problem to supply Japan?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Laguna said:
If that´s the case (any proof or official statement?) then it´s really "strange" situation. We know how it´s selling in the US and they still have a problem to supply Japan?
PSP is in short supply since the beginning of the year. Every retailer reports that all the time. If you check amazon you'll see that all models are sold out.

Akkad

Banned
Laguna said:

Seriously? Use some common sense.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Pretty good SRWZ2-1 start, but man are they greedy. Not only iirc its the most expensive normal edition PSP game ever (7329Y) its also a 2-part game, thus another 7329Y down the line. The PS2 SRWZ was 8379Y but that was on a system where the average game went for 7k, PSP average game years ago was 5k although its more usual to see 6k now.

They pulled some stuff in SRWZ2 that they've never done before - I think one of things Terada hyped up was that the Gundams had full-sized cutins for the first time ever because it cost more to license or something like that. Maybe that's why it costs more?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
PSP is experiencing shortages? How/when/why?

And are those reasons exclusive to the PSP or would they also explain the overall low HW numbers?

Laguna

Banned
@Chris
You know we are in mid April now. Why "do" they still have shortages? It´s not like it´s doing some crazy numbers in Japan and US is a nonfactor for months. It´s selling under 60k for weeks now.

Akkad said:
Seriously? Use some common sense.

Common sense would suggest artificial shortages if supply really is the problem.

test_account

XP-39C²
Laguna said:
Common sense would suggest artificial shortages if supply really is the problem.
Any reasons for doing artificial shortage on the PSP now? Now that the 3DS is out it would make more sense to have a good amount of supply going, hoping that people will buy a PSP instead, at least in my opinion.

Quixzlizx

Laguna said:
@Chris
You know we are in mid April now. Why "do" they still have shortages? It´s not like it´s doing some crazy numbers in Japan and US is a nonfactor for months. It´s selling under 50k for weeks now.

Common sense would suggest artificial shortages.

Why would Sony artificially cut supply for a system this far in, when every sale will more than likely lead to multiple software sales? The only reason to even artificially cut supply at a system launch is because there isn't much software out to support the system anyway, so it's not like the extra hype the shortage creates is being canceled out by massively decreased software sales. A shortage right now would just piss off people who want to buy one.

Mrbob

Laguna said:
@Chris

Prepping factories now for their new system instead? Could be a reason why there is a shortage. Sony is dedicating more resources now to getting ready for the PSP2.

Laguna

Banned
test_account said:
Any reasons for doing artificial shortage on the PSP now? Now that the 3DS is out it would make more sense to have a good amount of supply going, hoping that people will buy a PSP instead, at least in my opinion.

Then what´s causing these supply constraints for four and a half months? We all know that nowadays PSP isn´t selling in US then how can´t they supply their most important PSP market anymore like they did the years before?

Laguna

Banned
Mrbob said:
Prepping factories now for their new system instead? Could be a reason why there is a shortage. Sony is dedicating more resources now to getting ready for the PSP2.

Nearly a year in advance? these shortages started in January. The DS sold 460k this March alone in US, you know after 3DSes release. So why can´t they supply there most important PSP market with at least 250k-300k a month since PSP isn´t selling well in the US anymore?

test_account

XP-39C²
Laguna said:
Then what´s causing these supply constraints for four and a half months? We all know that nowadays PSP isn´t selling in US then how can´t they supply their most important PSP market anymore like they did the years before?
No idea to be honest. Not sure how the production line works for gaming systems. But i can't see any good reason to do artificial shortage at this time, especially when the 3DS has been released.

thaOwner

Laguna said:
Nearly a year in advance? these shortages started in January. The DS sold 460k this March alone in US, you know after 3DSes release. So why can´t they supply there most important PSP market with at least 250k-300k a month since PSP isn´t selling well in the US anymore?
Do you know how much work goes into prepping production work lines especially for a new product ?

Bebpo

Banned
Pureauthor said:
They pulled some stuff in SRWZ2 that they've never done before - I think one of things Terada hyped up was that the Gundams had full-sized cutins for the first time ever because it cost more to license or something like that. Maybe that's why it costs more?

Nah. The game probably cost about the same as Z1 or a little less (2d maps). They said they went with PSP because of lower cost to make, though that was compared to say PS3.

That being said, I think Ichigo is off on a few points. First of all, it might be high for a PSP game at 7000yen, but the costs are likely on par with Z1 which was 7000yen and they probably knew there'd be somewhat of a drop in numbers between the platform move.

Second, while it's a two parter, there's no indication that the production costs of Z2-2 will be any lower than the costs of Z1 and Z2-1. Z2-1 is huge, high budget game, on par with Z1. If Z2-2 is the same size with as many new series/units to draw sprites and music to license, it'll still be really expensive to finance, so from a sales perspective it's worth treating them as separate games I think. At least until we know more about Z2-2.

Overall I think the sales are solid. It's a little below Z1 and unlike Z1 might not make it to 500k (could fade out around 450k), but even if the costs of Z2-2 are only slightly lower and they sell another 400k ltd of that it should be a nice seller and keep the series in production at high production values. Just the fact that it did 2x+ the sales of the non-voiced/lower budget handhelds means that even on handhelds there is a market for high production quality SRW.

I do wonder though if Z2-2 takes another 2-3 years to make, if PSP will still be a viable platform to release it on in 2013/2014. Then again SRW Z Special Disc came out in 2009 on PS2, so even if it was that late it'd probably do fine.

Laguna

Banned
@test-account
Don´t know either. Maybe to demonstrate how popular the PSP is?

thaOwner said:
Do you know how much work goes into prepping production work lines especially for a new product ?

The problem is Sony is having problems to supply there only still lifely PSP market for months and PSP2 is looking to be far away (probably end of 2011) while (repeat) NDS sold 460k last month in US AFTER 3DSes release.

Koren

test_account said:
Any reasons for doing artificial shortage on the PSP now?
Any reasons for doing artificial shortage on any console anytime ? If you think that the shortages can give the system a small boost because "rare means wanted", it can work anytime.

I still think it would be far less efficient than some believe, and that most shortages are not planned by manufacturers. Not formore than one or two weeks, at least.

test_account

XP-39C²
Laguna said:
@test-account
Don´t know either. Maybe to demonstrate how popular the PSP is?
I agree that this senario seems plausible, but i'm not sure if Sony (or any other company for that matter) would keep this up for so long. If they cant meet demand for such long, it then means lost potential sales. I can however see that it could be done for a few weeks or so.

Koren said:
Any reasons for doing artificial shortage on any console anytime ? If you think that the shortages can give the system a small boost because "rare means wanted", it can work anytime.

I still think it would be far less efficient than some believe, and that most shortages are not planned by manufacturers. Not formore than one or two weeks, at least.
I think that artificial shortage might work best around launch of a system to create more buzz around the system and get more people to talk about it. However, it can indeed work at any time as long as the system is popular as you say, that is true.

I agree, i dont think that any company would keep up artificial shortage for months in a row. Maybe for a few weeks or so, but i dont think that it would last for several of months in a row.

duckroll

Sammy Samusu said:
Next weeks, probably. But expect bigger sales soon, many games are coming starting May 12th.

Out of that entire list the only significant titles on that list for Japan are Dead or Alive, One Piece, and Zelda...

duckroll

AranhaHunter said:
Resident Evil?

I don't think Mercenaries is what most Japanese RE fans want out of RE at all. Especially when there's no story whatsoever, and all the content is recycled from RE4 and RE5. Revelations is going to sell really well, but Mercenaries could easily fizzle.

duckroll said:
I don't think Mercenaries is what most Japanese RE fans want out of RE at all. Especially when there's no story whatsoever, and all the content is recycled from RE4 and RE5. Revelations is going to sell really well, but Mercenaries could easily fizzle.

I could see it having some appeal to the local-multiplayer-obsessed MH audience, though that's probably limited by only supporting 2P. I honestly have no clue how it'll sell.

Takao

Banned
There's either a lot of Nintendo apologists wondering what the heck is happening to the 3DS, or people really don't know the PSP's situation in Japan. Looking at this week's Famitsu should tell you that the platform is the healthiest one on the market thanks to the wings Monster Hunter gave. It is the one the Japanese industry is pushing the most, and has had a fantastic lineup of software this year compared to every other platform. Retailers have been mentioning low stock, or selling out of stock ever since the launch of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd in December. I don't think it's Sony being a douche and intentionally limiting stock, but just them greatly underestimating their platform based on the sales trends in Europe, and the US.

_dementia said:
I hope El Shaddai does well next week.

It probably won't. Ignition's publishing it in Japan, no?

Takao

Banned
Kyoufu said:
..no way

Even Homefront did more than that.

Homefront is from Spike, a publisher who's cultivated their western gamer niche for many years now. El Shaddai is from Ignition, a publisher who AFAIK has never published a game in Japan before this.

darkwing

Mrbob said:

this, this could mean that Japan would be getting the NGP first

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
More evidence for the death of Training genre in Japan (and the world). Very low sales in top 500, unless Art Academy is considered a distant cousin.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No one has mentioned it yet, but Layton & the Curious Village finally broke 1,000,000. Doesn't look like Pandora's Box will make it, though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Cosmonaut X said:
Holy shit at the DQMJ uptick! Any higher percentage leaps on record?
Many but the first Joker had an big restock at its 5th week.

Media Create Sales: Week 04, 2007 (Jan 22 - Jan 28)

01. / 00. [PS2] Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Capcom) {2007.01.25} - 227.261 / NEW
02. / 42. [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) {2006.12.28} - 103.706 / 1.026.700 (+1383%)
03. / 00. [NDS] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Taisen DS (Sega) {2007.01.25} - 77.229 / NEW
04. / 00. [NDS] Picross DS (Nintendo) {2007.01.25} - 71.794 / NEW
05. / 00. [NDS] Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Nintendo) {2007.01.25} - 59.379 / NEW
06. / 04. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) {2006.12.02} - 58.886 / 910.422 (+3%)
07. / 02. [NDS] Wario: Master of Disguise (Nintendo) {2007.01.18} - 47.350 / 138.599 (-48%)
08. / 05. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) {2006.12.02} - 43.612 / 808.425 (-5%)
09. / 00. [PS2] Pachitte Chonmage Tatsujin 10: Pachinko Fuyu no Sonata (Hackberry) {2007.01.25} - 41.411 / NEW
10. / 10. [NDS] More Brain Training (Nintendo) {2005.12.29} - 34.028 / 3.902.307 (+15%)

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
No one has mentioned it yet, but Layton & the Curious Village finally broke 1,000,000. Doesn't look like Pandora's Box will make it, though.

Actually we did mention it. About two weeks back Hino tweeted about the game finally shipping over a million copies. So if you're referring to the 1.02 million figure in the Top500 Media Create chart for 2010, that's a clear sign that they have overtracked the game! Pretty funny imo.

LOCK

Delio said:
A price drop for the 3DS now?
lol I meant the Wii.

If I was Iwata I would drop the price 10,000 yen. And let it ride out that price till it dies.

or

5,000 yen cut now and 5,000 yen cut when DQ10 launches.

Top Bottom