• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2011 (Apr 11 - Apr 17)

Alrus

Is there any positive buzz in japan for El Shaddai? Well lets hope it does well enough for Ignition to keep making games with the same kind of artstyle (I have no idea if the game is actually decent gameplay wise...).

Btw how well did older versions of Pilotwings do in japan?

Jomjom

Banned
I'm going to guess Homefront did so well because of the tensions between Japan and Korea even though I know Homefront has North Koreans and not South Koreans.

test_account

XP-39C²
duckroll said:
Actually we did mention it. About two weeks back Hino tweeted about the game finally shipping over a million copies. So if you're referring to the 1.02 million figure in the Top500 Media Create chart for 2010, that's a clear sign that they have overtracked the game! Pretty funny imo.
Sold more copies than what had been made hehe :D

I wonder how close the different trackers usually are to the actual sold numbers. In this case, being 20k-30k (not sure how much the game has sold in 2011) off the mark is not that bad in my opinion, especially when we are talking about a million copies. A bit "pity" that it is over tracked though, since then it looks more funny hehe. Had it been 20k under tracked, then maybe we wouldnt have though so much about it.

Orgen

Chris1964 said:
More evidence for the death of Training genre in Japan (and the world). Very low sales in top 500, unless Art Academy is considered a distant cousin.

Remember! We'll talk about this when Brain Training 3DS launches (or one month after launch, better :p) to see who is right!

test_account

XP-39C²
Orgen said:
Remember! We'll talk about this when Brain Training 3DS launches (or one month after launch, better :p) to see who is right!
I was actually thinking about this some days ago, if a new Brain Training game will be made for the 3DS. And if it does, will it have as much effect on the 3DS and it had on the DS, or has Brain Training played it's part. I guess that the game can still sell quite well, but will it be just as successful as the previous games were.

LOCK

The Abominable Snowman said:
For 1 1/2 years?
Well I really expect DQ10 this winter, or at the latest Spring 2012. And lets be realistic by Spring 2012 the Wii will be selling like 4k a week! Yeah, pretty much dead in Japan.

There are definitely plenty of factors against the 3DS right now.

The economy was shook up by the disaster.
PSP is still getting a lot of support and consistent releases.
3DS has yet to have a really large product come out that isn't available elsewhere.

Personally, as long as there isn't a major Nintendo product on the 3DS and as long as games keep coming to PSP on a near weekly basis, the 3DS will perform slowly compared to the DS.

Alrus

If the rumors are true and Mario is coming out this year, it could have a pretty great holiday season... "Too bad" it's a 3D mario and not a 2D one, that would have sold a ton of 3ds alone.

duckroll said:
Out of that entire list the only significant titles on that list for Japan are Dead or Alive, One Piece, and Zelda...
Mercenaries will outsell DOA and maybe One Piece. I don't see any of these really driving hardware themselves, but a fuller schedule certainly can't hurt.

Bizzyb

Banned
3DS is trending retty shitty right now. nearly 2 months on market and has yet to even hit 900k??

And yeah, I don't think anything is going to bring Wii back from it's death thrones. I would laugh so hard if SE actually released DQIX exclusively on Wii

Orgen

test_account said:
I was actually thinking about this some days ago, if a new Brain Training game will be made for the 3DS. And if it does, will it have as much effect on the 3DS and it had on the DS, or has Brain Training played it's part. I guess that the game can still sell quite well, but will it be just as successful as the previous games were.

We (Chris (*) and I) discussed this two or three weeks ago. The game is announced (Chris can provide you the link) and he thinks the genre is dead and that a new game in the series won't break the 500.000 LTD barrier but I think that it can be a million seller (not 4-5 million like the previous games, but 1-2 millions... yeah, why not?).

So we'll see who is right when the time comes! ;D

(*) Feel free to correct or add anything :)

Bizzyb said:
3DS is trending retty shitty right now. nearly 2 months on market and has yet to even hit 900k??

And yeah, I don't think anything is going to bring Wii back from it's death thrones. I would laugh so hard if SE actually released DQIX exclusively on Wii

And SE are releasing DQ X exclusively for the Wii...each week you sound like a broken record.

iidesuyo

Bel Marduk said:
And SE are releasing DQ X exclusively for the Wii...each week you sound like a broken record.

SE would be stupid to release DQX exclusively for Wii. But maybe they get paid by Nintendo like Capcom with Monster Hunter, otherwise it would make no sense.

The Wii market in Japan is dead, to achieve 4+ million sales is impossible.

iidesuyo said:
SE would be stupid to release DQX exclusively for Wii. But maybe they get paid by Nintendo like Capcom with Monster Hunter, otherwise it would make no sense.

The Wii market in Japan is dead, to achieve 4+ million sales is impossible.

4 mil sales isn't likely but 3.5 mil+ is. The Wii has proven it can still sell big games, DQ X should be no exception.

When did 4 million plus become the benchmark for DQ sales? Only DQVII and IX have done 4 Million plus.
Bizzyb said:

Don't worry, DQIX already released for the DS, so that won't happen. DQX however, is exclusive to the Wii, and is almost complete.

Takao

Banned
Honestly if I cared about Dragon Quest (which I don't) I'd be more concerned with the effects of Dragon Quest X on Wii in the west. Nintendo did a lot to make DQIX a success over here, but that's not going to happen with DQX at all.

Takao said:
Honestly if I cared about Dragon Quest (which I don't) I'd be more concerned with the effects of Dragon Quest X on Wii in the west. Nintendo did a lot to make DQIX a success over here, but that's not going to happen with DQX at all.
Lol, I find it funny when I read this and look at your avatar at the same time :p

About the west, well, I thought that with the way Nintendo helped DQIX, that DQX was also part of the deal? Why would that suddenly change? The Wii isn't doing nearly as bad in the West as in Japan.

iidesuyo

Magicpaint said:
When did 4 million plus become the benchmark for DQ sales?

No way SE are expecting sale numbers to go down. No one expects a successor to sell less and they need the money.

SE is in a very difficult situation. PSP will die, the Wii is dying much sooner as expected, PS3 still isn't doing good enough numbers, NGP is uncertain... time to put DQ multiplatform. It can't be that hard.

iidesuyo said:
No way SE are expecting sale numbers to go down. No one expects a successor to sell less and they need the money.

SE is in a very difficult situation. PSP will die, the Wii is dying much sooner as expected, PS3 still isn't doing good enough numbers, NGP is uncertain... time to put DQ multiplatform. It can't be that hard.
Successors often sell less, this has happened in the FF and DQ series. As long as DQX sells what's respectable for a DQ game (and it should), I can't see any alarm bells ringing.

Takao said:

What reason is there for DQ X not to be a success in the West?

iidesuyo said:

Unless they release the game on the DS or even the PSP, DQ X isn't going to sell 4 mil+...

Edit: Also do we really have to have this DQ X conversation each week?

Takao

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Lol, I find it funny when I read this and look at your avatar at the same time :p

About the west, well, I thought that with the way Nintendo helped DQIX, that DQX was also part of the deal? Why would that suddenly change? The Wii isn't doing nearly as bad in the West as in Japan.

By the time the localization would come out in North America Super Wii2D2 HD will be out. And while it will be BC, it still will be hard to market a niche game on what is an obsolete platform.

androvsky

Alrus said:
Is there any positive buzz in japan for El Shaddai? Well lets hope it does well enough for Ignition to keep making games with the same kind of artstyle (I have no idea if the game is actually decent gameplay wise...).

Didn't the El Shaddai jeans get a decent amount of press attention, as well as selling out within hours? It might sell pretty good, actually. I can see it doing especially well with women, kinda like Sengoku Basara.

Between the jeans and the cafe, it looks like Ignition's actually trying (which is definitely a change of pace for them). Dunno if they're running normal ads though.

Yes, I know they're men's jeans. It makes sense to me, anyway.

Takao said:
By the time the localization would come out in North America Super Wii2D2 HD will be out. And while it will be BC, it still will be hard to market a niche game on what is an obsolete platform.

DQ IX sold over a mil in NA and EU...it's not going to suddenly be ignored just because it's on the Wii as long as it's marketed well, which it should. And what, are the 75 mil or so people who own a Wii outside of Japan obsolete? Wii 2 should only help its sales because it'd be a good game to make use of the Wii 2's BC.

Bizzyb

Banned
Magicpaint said:
When did 4 million plus become the benchmark for DQ sales? Only DQVII and IX have done 4 Million plus.

Don't worry, DQIX already released for the DS, so that won't happen. DQX however, is exclusive to the Wii, and is almost complete.

LOL I meant DQX

edit: Like I said exclusively on Wii

Key Word "Exclusively"

Bebpo said:
I do wonder though if Z2-2 takes another 2-3 years to make, if PSP will still be a viable platform to release it on in 2013/2014. Then again SRW Z Special Disc came out in 2009 on PS2, so even if it was that late it'd probably do fine.

I seriously doubt Z2-2 will not be out in consumer's hands by this time next year at the latest. Everything they've done with it makes it very clear that this was designed with being a two parter in mind.

DR2K

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
Mercenaries will outsell DOA and maybe One Piece. I don't see any of these really driving hardware themselves, but a fuller schedule certainly can't hurt.

DOA kept Xbox a float in Japan. Don't doubt its selling power.

Alrus

What were the sales on previous DoA actually? Is it more popular than the other fighting games? The genre doesn't seem to pull massive number in Japan... I would say DoA:D will do decently but nothing really amazing.

Prophane33

Nice to see Dynasty Warriors 7 almost surpassing 6. It's the best DW in a long time, and I'd like to see it break 500,000. It would be nice to see it sell as well as 5 (~918,000). Though I can't expect it to break a million like 4 and 3.

Orgen said:
We (Chris (*) and I) discussed this two or three weeks ago. The game is announced (Chris can provide you the link) and he thinks the genre is dead and that a new game in the series won't break the 500.000 LTD barrier but I think that it can be a million seller (not 4-5 million like the previous games, but 1-2 millions... yeah, why not?).

So we'll see who is right when the time comes! ;D

(*) Feel free to correct or add anything :)

When's the Kinect training game releasing?

Top Bottom